• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why videogame crossover isn't hot today?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Imaginary Smash bros clones.jpg

We know there are some crossover games from media companies like Disney, Nickelodeon, Warner bros etc. But it comes to my curiosity that major videogame companies, especially the ones work with Nintendo in the Super Smash bros project, don't seem to be inspired to start their own equivalent crossovers.

Some videogame companies once had their regular crossover projects like Project X Zone and Capcom VS series, but on the current Nintendo Switch platform we don't really get much news, and we don't have much time to expect more as Nintendo Swich is reaching it's fninishing line in years. In recent years, what we had at most is SNK's games which tend to allow guest fighters in their own lineup.

It's nice to have some guests fight in Smash, like Sonic, but given that there aren't that many guest seats for 3rd party, I kinda wish to see crossovers revive so that Sonic gets the chance to fight against Tails, Ai Ai, Kazuma Kiryu and Arle in his homeland.

But that's just my opinion so not sure how you guys think? Do you think we need more videogame crossovers beside Nintendo's Super Smash bros?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
In addition to what Perkilator Perkilator said, crossovers (esp. via the "guest character" flavor) are oversaturated if anything. We really don't need more of them.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
oversaturated if anything. We really don't need more of them.
Not sure if I get the point, and would disagree if you specifically mean the media license crossovers case.

If I'm a fan of Dr. Eggman, Zero or Doomslayer, I'd just expect them to have own crossover spotlights. I don't think crossover projects from other companies would cover my need of playing my favorite characters.

“look at all these IP’s we have the rights to”
In the case of Smash bros, I think it's okay to have it promote some other less wellknown Nintendo series if that also brings interesting game contents.

As for general cases, I think as long as one company has a great license database, people's natural reaction would be like "wow this game has all my favorite and famous games, that's awesome!"

But sure Smash bros exists because Nintendo is the king of the industry. This really depends on whether other companies can provide as good contents as NIntendo do. In existed cases, I do think Capcom and SEGA can push sequels to their past crossover projects.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I feel like a lot of company are more and more protective of their ip, so crossver are much harder to make than it was in the arcade or ps2 era for example.

Quillion

Smash Hero
For how oversaturated crossovers have become nowadays, I honestly feel like people genuinely insisting that the next Mario Kart game should be Nintendo Kart are part of the problem.
Nintendo Kart...

Could work as its own game.
TBF though, Mario Kart really needs to lean more into the extended Mario universe like Wario, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong, the RPGs, and the Peach "series" instead of just bringing in more main Mario characters in different suits or generic enemies all the time. That's a form of crossover.

xavi223

Smash Rookie
I think there's still room for more crossover games that can offer unique experiences. Capcom and SEGA have shown they can do it well in the past. Would love to see more of that in the future.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
For how oversaturated crossovers have become nowadays
I mean this statement basically conflicts with the title so I expect you to make explanation if you mean to express that the topic assumption is incorrect.

Again, I don't find the topic statement anything wrong.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
TBF though, Mario Kart really needs to lean more into the extended Mario universe like Wario, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong, the RPGs, and the Peach "series" instead of just bringing in more main Mario characters in different suits or generic enemies all the time. That's a form of crossover.
Mario Kart should be leaning more towards its extended universe. By all accounts, it should be. But the fact is… it doesn’t. At least not enough for some people.

Like, the furthest removed you get from the core Mario series is probably Poochy and Funky Kong. That’s the furthest they’ll go.

If Mario Kart has no interest in going deeper into its deep cuts, it really is a choice between more clones or crossovers. And something tells me seeing Ganondorf driving a go-kart is more exciting than Propeller Mario.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I still think you could make a decent Mario Kart roster without forcing it to be Nintendo Kart. I've been drafting a pitch for my own Mario Kart game, and this is my roster:
Mario Super Motor TeamLuigi GustersLord BowserRoyal PeachDonkey Kong QuistadorsToad TitansWario BillionairesYoshi Runners
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Donkey Kong​
Toad​
Wario​
Yoshi​
Goomba​
E. Gadd​
Bowser Jr.​
Daisy​
Diddy Kong​
Toadette​
Waluigi​
Poochy​
Koopa Troopa​
Polterpup​
Dry Bones​
Rosalina​
Dixie Kong​
Toadsworth​
Captain Syrup​
Stork​
Metal Mario​
Gooigi​
Hammer Bro​
Pauline​
Cranky Kong​
Shy Guy​
Mona​
Kamek​
Cappy
King Boo
Petey Piranha
Birdo
Funky Kong
Nabbit
9-Volt
Baby Mario
Prince Florian
Hellen Gravely
King Bob-Omb
5-Volt
Donkey Kong Jr.
Wiggler
Ashley
Baby Luigi
Extra Racers
Mii Outfit A​
Mii Outfit B​
R.O.B. (DLC)​
Olimar (DLC)​
Dragaux (DLC)​
Captain Falcon (DLC)​

A few points I make with my roster:
  • The only real clones are Metal Mario and Gooigi
  • Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are the only baby characters
  • The four DLC racers are Nintendo guest characters, but specifically those from games developed by Nintendo in-house (R.O.B. in particular was picked because he was part of Mario Kart DS)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think the reason crossover games aren’t as popular as they used to be is because most of the ones we get nowadays just want an excuse to be all “look at all these IP’s we have the rights to” instead of being an at least solid game first and foremost.
Going back on this, I think the reason I don’t feel this way with Smash Bros. is because Sakurai is clearly passionate about a project like this. Say what you will about certain characters being gimmicky, but one thing I’d like to say is that they were born out of Sakurai wanting to preserve the feel of the games they come from.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Some videogame companies once had their regular crossover projects like Project X Zone and Capcom VS series, but on the current Nintendo Switch platform we don't really get much news, and we don't have much time to expect more as Nintendo Swich is reaching it's fninishing line in years. In recent years, what we had at most is SNK's games which tend to allow guest fighters in their own lineup.

But that's just my opinion so not sure how you guys think? Do you think we need more videogame crossovers beside Nintendo's Super Smash bros?
Well, I'm going to say that I predict that there maybe a possibility of a new entry within the Capcom Vs series down the line.

As for Project X Zone (and having previously played Namco X Capcom on the PS2 a while back), it will be great to see a new entry within the series or they could do a collection that consists of Project X Zones 1 & 2 (and maybe a translated version of Namco X Capcom?)

Top Bottom