• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate on smash4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yet both games outclasses every other game in numbers at EVO expect for Street Fighter.
Of course they do. They require less skill to entry and they are household names played by millions already on a casual level. MvC and SF are hardcore fighting games, not even in the same category.

You can talk about Smash with almost anyone even your mom, your girlfriend, and your jock friend that doesn't even play games much all know about Smash Bros. The same can't be said about SF or MvC really.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Yet both games outclasses every other game in numbers at EVO expect for Street Fighter.
Well, numbers are just demographics really. Many games have love from players at different numbers. Melee has been out forever and has much love. Sm4sh has an easier entry (don't get me wrong, it's still not easy to be a top 8 player in it) so more people probably play. From a gamer's standpoint, there are more casual gamers than hardcore correct? Let's face it, you ain't entering one of the traditional fighters as a casual or competitive casual player. Numbers just sort of validates this.

Edit: @ kingPiano kingPiano y u people keep typing faster than me

Last edited:

Joninja

Smash Rookie
Exhibit A (Don't worry buddy, your name isn't in the quote, so it isn't a reply :D )
Point is, change isn't the problem, it's just your perception of it. If you see the change as bad, it's gonna be bad. I don't mind the change, and in some cases I actually prefer it.

I think @ R Roukiske actually made a great analogy (perhaps just worded badly). All of the basic principles are there, but why do I have to shoot with my head now? It doesn't feel justified.

Also, to whomever this may concern, it's probably beneficial to say "I think" rather than saying "It is" especially if you're not going to explain and resort to what I believe are lackluster analogies.
I totally agree with this.

If people aren't open to new stuff, their perception on it is going to be bad.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think you're missing the point. it's not an openess to new things, it's whether or not they find that new thing to be good. Being new doesn't immediately mean better.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The only reason Sm4sh even made it to EVO is because it's riding on Melee's competitive popularity. We'll see how big competitive Sm4sh is when 5mash comes out.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I think it's funny how we are this far into this discussion and we still have people not understanding how opinions work and being absolute hypocrites by not taking their own advice.

The OP came on the Melee boards to ask us Melee players about a game most of us don't care about. That opinion about Sm4sh is ours to have, your opinion doesn't have to be forced down our throats. Not liking Brawl or Sm4sh or just not wanting to waste time on those games when we could instead be playing the wonder that is Melee all the time has absolutely nothing to do with "being open to new things".

My analogy is pretty much spot on. Why would I waste my time listening to One Direction if I don't like them? I shouldn't even waste my time hating on them or try to explain my opinion to fans of One Direction. So because I'm not a fan of boy bands means I'm not open to new things? No thanks I will just spend my time listening to music I actually enjoy. Forcing others to like what you like or trying to make them share your opinion is a very close-minded mentality that a majority of kids have on the internet. They aren't yet mature enough to realize that different people have different opinions and like different stuff. And usually when they grow up they realize that they don't even like that stuff anymore either. Like 10 yo kids that like Tobuscus videos....they will yell death threats at anyone that even mildly criticizes a video but then they finally grow up, mature, and think "Wow, Tobuscus is a moron. why did I ever like that fool?"

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The only reason Sm4sh even made it to EVO is because it's riding on Melee's competitive popularity. We'll see how big competitive Sm4sh is when 5mash comes out.
Fairly certain it's at EVO because it's the latest game in the series. Aside from a few outliers (number one being Melee) that's generally how it goes.

Woah dude, I wasn't talking about your analogy, I was talking about that other guy's analogy :3 Some analogy involving a movie, I think it was Spider-Man or something, I dunno it was a long time ago.

But since we're gonna break our agreement for a moment. I'm going to have to commend you for finally making a decent post. If you say, "I don't like..." or "I think..." you shouldn't have to explain your opinion. It's only when you say, "This is bad" you're going to have to give a little reasoning. Bravo~

Edit: Fixed the typo! Thanks Squire.

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
Spiderman
It is actually stylized as "Spider-Man".

Joking aside though, this debate has gotten us nowhere. I've been involved in this since about page 12, and here's what happens:

-Someone puts out a valid opinion

-Someone from the other side of the aisle says "that's pretty valid, let me tell you why I disagree though."

-Someone else comes in and starts spouting crap and hating everything and it completely invalidates the first discussion point

-Someone changes the subject

-Someone new comes in and says "LET ME TELL YOU WHY I THINK YOU'RE WRONG" thinking no one has said, in the past 650 replies, what he or she is about to say.

This thread was originally made as argument bait because some guy was mad that a Melee player was mean to him or he didn't like the stream comments at apex or something. There doesn't have to be this much hate between Melee and Sm4sh. I'm a Melee player. I don't play Sm4sh competitively. I don't like Sm4sh. Why does someone from the Sm4sh community have to bait me into an argument about it?

Separate the streams, play what you want. Who cares? Sm4sh isn't going to kill Melee, even if they try, and Melee isn't going to take attention away from a brand new game.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've been caught!

Meh, I'll just take this as a lesson to actually read the OP before putting in my 2 cents. I hopped in after and by the time I read OP it was too late. While I think it's fair to ask why someone prefers something, OP was pure bait.

Whatever I'm gonna go play Smash 4/PM

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Yep, the thread was made around the time of the "Melee chants" fiasco at Apex. Can't speak for the people who actually went, but I do hope they learned a little there, but ah I don't wanna get into that whole discussion, it happened, hopefully it wont happen again, nuff said.

Honestly, the people still active in this thread including some other posters who are actually putting in valid opinions from both sides appear to be pretty damn respectful towards both sides AND their opinions. So I don't see the problem being here amongst you guys really. The problems I see in general are just the childish people, who we can't change overnight.

I'm pretty much ready to /thread here :D

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter

Joking aside though, this debate has gotten us nowhere. I've been involved in this since about page 12, and here's what happens:

-Someone from the other side of the aisle says "that's pretty valid, let me tell you why I disagree though."

-Someone else comes in and starts spouting crap and hating everything and it completely invalidates the first discussion point

-Someone new comes in and says "LET ME TELL YOU WHY I THINK YOU'RE WRONG" thinking no one has said, in the past 650 replies, what he or she is about to say.

This thread was originally made as argument bait because some guy was mad that a Melee player was mean to him or he didn't like the stream comments at apex or something. There doesn't have to be this much hate between Melee and Sm4sh. I'm a Melee player. I don't play Sm4sh competitively. I don't like Sm4sh. Why does someone from the Sm4sh community have to bait me into an argument about it?

Separate the streams, play what you want. Who cares? Sm4sh isn't going to kill Melee, even if they try, and Melee isn't going to take attention away from a brand new game.
Yeah, I saw that pattern since I got started on page 6 (and then got reported for spamming Quillion with early 2000s Pop-Punk (no regrets)). I feel like we have had some valid, useful conversation about Melee and Sm4sh from this thread but unless someone brings up some new material or arguments that haven't been addressed, I agree that this thread's life is drawing to a close. I accidentally unwatched this thread for about a week or two so until recently, I thought this thread had been dead a while.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Can we please just kill this thread and leave each other alone from here on out?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Of course they do. They require less skill to entry and they are household names played by millions already on a casual level. MvC and SF are hardcore fighting games, not even in the same category.

You can talk about Smash with almost anyone even your mom, your girlfriend, and your jock friend that doesn't even play games much all know about Smash Bros. The same can't be said about SF or MvC really.

Wehter it is a "disgrace" or not. It has the numbers, that alone will make it return.

As long as people love the game, and they do.

Not really, if anything the APEX numbers showed it can stand on it's own.

The last sentence is irrelevant, happens with other fighters when a new version comes out since it is an update.

~

At this point I only really respond when something is missing the point, "it's a disgrace to fighters despite it's popularity and people backing it."

Or something about a new game comes out and people jump to the next installment which means they have no love for the game for some reason? Even though it is an update and a new installment which that alone is a huge push for a game.

I can respect an opinion, not really bashing of a game that seems either uneducated or seems to miss key parts of the bigger picture.

People jumping to Street Fighter 5 eventually doesn't mean Street Fighter 4 sucked or that people didn't love the game, that's far far far from the truth.

But this is a result of players sticking to an older title that doesn't have a true follow up to it outside of Project M. Which is why a lot try to bring this up as a counter point that Smash 4 players don't like their game, which really doesn't make sense.

I mostly am just trying to see alternative discussion and really only calling out posts that I don't think are really solid and should be challenged.

But w/e.

Asking why people don't like it and getting an answer is fine, I know the answer for a lot of people in my area and even on the boards. I just don't think some comments or opinions are that solid I suppose.

I left my opinion on why I prefer Smash 4 way earlier in his thread so there is that.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Not really, if anything the APEX numbers showed it can stand on it's own.

The last sentence is irrelevant, happens with other fighters when a new version comes out since it is an update.
The numbers don't mean a thing so soon after a game is released. Brawl's numbers were MUCH larger than Melee's near its release just because the new-and-shiny effect drew a bunch of people to it (same thing that's happening to Sm4sh). Without competitive Melee, you could bet that Sm4sh wouldn't have such a big scene from the get-go. Brawl's scene is pretty much dead and it wasn't because a sequel came out that replaced it. Based on how long you've had a Smashboards account, I can assume that you remember the scene dying earlier than Sm4sh's release because of poor balance and lack of competitive gameplay. We can see if Sm4sh's numbers keep up until 5mash is released.

Also, the sequel thing is a good point, so I acknowledge that the second sentence of the quoted statement is irrelevant, but Brawl's scene is pretty much dead and it didn't die because a sequel came out that replaced it. Based on how long you've had a Smashboards account, I can assume that you remember the scene dying much earlier than Sm4sh's release because of poor balance and lack of competitive tech. We can see if Sm4sh's numbers keep up until 5mash is released and although I definitely can't tell the future, I think it will share the same fate.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The numbers don't mean a thing so soon after a game is released. Brawl's numbers were MUCH larger than Melee's near its release just because the new-and-shiny effect drew a bunch of people to it (same thing that's happening to Sm4sh). Without competitive Melee, you could bet that Sm4sh wouldn't have such a big scene from the get-go. Brawl's scene is pretty much dead and it wasn't because a sequel came out that replaced it. Based on how long you've had a Smashboards account, I can assume that you remember the scene dying earlier than Sm4sh's release because of poor balance and lack of competitive gameplay. We can see if Sm4sh's numbers keep up until 5mash is released.

Also, the sequel thing is a good point, so I acknowledge that the second sentence of the quoted statement is irrelevant, but Brawl's scene is pretty much dead and it didn't die because a sequel came out that replaced it. Based on how long you've had a Smashboards account, I can assume that you remember the scene dying much earlier than Sm4sh's release because of poor balance and lack of competitive tech. We can see if Sm4sh's numbers keep up until 5mash is released and although I definitely can't tell the future, I think it will share the same fate.
Brawl died for a number of reasons, not just Smash 4 but that was the nail on the coffin for it. Everyone moved on because it was a new installment, which a opens up a lot if fresh gameplay, and fixing the past games problems.

Smash is bigger than ever, a lot of that is due to melee, but Smash 4 has smaller overlap unlike Project M where people can cross over between titles and that if anything is more of a piggyback than Smash 4 which more or less has had to stand on it's own.

The scene died earlier due to other factors, I agree there but Smash 4 pretty much nailed down any kind of comeback for it to return.

But gameplay alone is not why, partly for many but not the main thing.

I doubt it will die at any rate people are assuming it will, 1000+ at evo? This game isn't going to die anytime soon, not with patches and DLC coming as well.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I doubt it will die at any rate people are assuming it will, 1000+ at evo? This game isn't going to die anytime soon, not with patches and DLC coming as well.
Like I said, numbers mean nothing at this point until the new-and-shiny effect wears off and we can more fairly compare it to an older scene. I do like the point about the patches and DLC, though. That has a very good chance of making the scene last longer as the meta will be dynamically changing in response to the reception of each character and attempting to achieve perfect balance (which is one of the main draws of playing PM over Melee).

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Like I said, numbers mean nothing at this point until the new-and-shiny effect wears off and we can more fairly compare it to an older scene. I do like the point about the patches and DLC, though. That has a very good chance of making the scene last longer as the meta will be dynamically changing in response to the reception of each character and attempting to achieve perfect balance (which is one of the main draws of playing PM over Melee).
Why should we discount what matters right now.

Smash 4 is doing well so far, shiny or not.

But yeah patches and DLC will retain interest, again why I have eventually preferred PM over Brawl because no broken Metaknight and other bull****.

Still I think the game is not the same situation as Brawl, we knew what it was going to but they improved on it by a long shot, larger cast, far better balance, combo are not stopped from cancelling hitstun with an airdodge. Agressive play is far better, not melee good but far better.

If Smash5 comes out, oh well people will go to that for support and the newest version.

As it stands, Smash 4 is a great game and if anything can help introduce people to Melee and PM if they prefer that. At it's worst for Melee and PM players, why not have it exist for that?

SAUS

Smash Ace
I totally agree with this.

If people aren't open to new stuff, their perception on it is going to be bad.
Bleh. Smash 4 is not change. Melee is still there and there is no real reason to switch games other than preference. I will not choose change if I don't want to and there are literally 0 other things affecting my decision.

As an example, a balance patch is change that you cannot get around like this. People will play the new balance patch and you will have to go with them or abandon the game. However, the balance patch might actually be REALLY good for the game (for the example, let's say it is - and it also changed how the game is played a bit). Not moving on in this case is not being open to change. Smash 4 is an entirely separate entity from melee.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Bleh. Smash 4 is not change. Melee is still there and there is no real reason to switch games other than preference. I will not choose change if I don't want to and there are literally 0 other things affecting my decision.

As an example, a balance patch is change that you cannot get around like this. People will play the new balance patch and you will have to go with them or abandon the game. However, the balance patch might actually be REALLY good for the game (for the example, let's say it is - and it also changed how the game is played a bit). Not moving on in this case is not being open to change. Smash 4 is an entirely separate entity from melee.
Read this:

You see, your post is at bullet #5 which is also simultaneously bullet #2, we're trying to make sure this thread doesn't go back to bullet #3, because someone is going to come in here, say "ALL Y'ALL STUPID!" and it's just gonna be a bad time with another 650 posts.

Now to make sure this thread doesn't live much longer than it should, I agree with your post, and I hope you have a swell day :3

Oz☯

Smash Rookie
THEY REMOVED THE ICE CLIMBERS!!!! loljk

I honestly don't HATE smash 4, but I will never love it, like I love melee. I don't really need to give any reasons other than personal preference for that. I don't find it as fun, and I dislike a lot of the characters compared to other rosters. I still value it over brawl but VERY much under Project M or Melee. Also, I don't own a Wii U. I can't stream it/make videos for it, because of Nintendo's bull**** copyright rules. And, can't find the charger for my 3ds, although, I plan ordering a new one and probably will have some casual play with friends, other than that, I won't be getting in the competitive scene of 4 most likely. I'll stick to melee, again, not bashing Smash 4, this is all just opinion really.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Read this:

You see, your post is at bullet #5 which is also simultaneously bullet #2, we're trying to make sure this thread doesn't go back to bullet #3, because someone is going to come in here, say "ALL Y'ALL STUPID!" and it's just gonna be a bad time with another 650 posts.

Now to make sure this thread doesn't live much longer than it should, I agree with your post, and I hope you have a swell day :3
My B.

I'll admit I didn't read all the posts between the original post about that topic and the one I quoted. I know at least one other person replied to it and I didn't like their answer. I didn't really see another answer in between there, but I'm pretty sure I skipped/missed a bunch of posts. I try not to say things that have already been said since you can just like posts that share your ideas.

I hope you, too, have a swell day.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
A series that would never be considered for Evo if melee wasn't so exceptional.
Yeah... Like every other game at EVO. It's the reason Tekken 7 which, aside from arcades in Japan, isn't even released yet will be at EVO. GGXRD and MKX are at EVO because their series had exceptional games.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo basically used the melee/PM community to get sm4sh into Evo then proceeded to betray them, how evil! But is there even going to be one ounce of retribution for this foul play? Are you just going to take it all in stride? That's pretty weak, you buncha doormats. You're the Evo doormat. lawl

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Nintendo basically used the melee/PM community to get sm4sh into Evo then proceeded to betray them, how evil! But is there even going to be one ounce of retribution for this foul play? Are you just going to take it all in stride? That's pretty weak, you buncha doormats. You're the Evo doormat. lawl
I'm not falling for that...

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
For what it’s worth, I gave your post a like 8 days before I became a moderator here. In any case, I don’t think receiving a like by a moderator negates violations of forum rules, and to be honest it’s hard to argue that your post was not trolling (which is to be punished with a 2-point, 14 days infraction according to the forum rules).

My personal agreement on not enjoying Smash 4, which remains unchanged, stands separate from whether you violated forum rules or not. This is not the place to argue about this, though, so if you think your ban was unjustified, please open a thread within the forum support sub-forum to avoid escalation here.
I don't link you being a moderator to any of it. Just you're a good guy with a nice reputation in the community and you gave a like because you thought it was funny. Like other people did. Liking the post at all shows it passed your test. If its hard to tell if its not trolling would you have been so quick to like it in the first place?

There was nothing wrong with my initial post and I will stand by that. Because well its obvious.

However, I do want to apologize for responding to you @EPsilon933 the way I did. I took that post way more personally than I ever should have and that response to you was unkind. Not just that, just really out of character and not totally respecting the positive values I try to stand for/be as an individual. Whether you were immature/mature wrong or right or abrasive or kind about what you said shouldn't be a decider for whether or not I start treating people/you poorly.

This experience has taught me alot so i'm going to share some advice with the rest of the thread/board from this point on in the post.
I am certain that if any of you involved in this drama knew how to negotiate through it to end up feeling resolved and happy without hurting anyones feelings, that is what you would be doing. So sadly a major lack of skill in working through conflict in an effective mature way is present in those still holding onto this smash 4 hate topic. Therefore self educating ourselves and leveling up more powerful humane problem solving skills is important I think to ending this. If somebody is upset with you over smash 4 and they don't know how to work through that and you do, then you should show them so they can also feel better. If not, you just have two people who only know how to get mad at eachother like big babies.

Which is sad because, it only makes me upset to see those afflicted, struggling with negative emotions and reoccurring thoughts of drama over things like this. I don't wish that on anybody.

That said I must share that the heavy gravity of my writing tone is aimed more at communicating through a medium of tone that I sense the majority of you are seeing this in to reach you better. I take to heart what is going on and give TLC and a good dose of expressed good humanity where its due in the writing but honestly I take this smash 4 thing lightly because well thats the right thing to do. Its silly and very immature that I need to get this heavy over something so trivial and I want you guys to realize that.

In a world with healthy communication, not liking smash 4 and openly talking about that is fine. Not liking smash four and putting in playful jabs at it is fine. Not liking smash four and expressing that you honestly hate it as a game and jabbing at it playfully or even honestly is fine usually.

If you have trouble dealing with being on the receiving end of people doing any of that, take responsibility. Don't blame the people. Stop being mad at others and work through your own weak problem solving skills and poorly chosen emotional responses to situations so you can help make our community a better place.

I'm perma leaving this thread now to avoid derailing anything.

Last edited:

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
I dont want a fighting game without more advanced techniques. (I don't hate smash 4) keeping people of the stage in smash 4 is pretty interesting though

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
I think it's funny how we are this far into this discussion and we still have people not understanding how opinions work and being absolute hypocrites b

The OP came on the Melee boards to ask us Melee players about a game most of us don't care about. That opinion about Sm4sh is ours to have, your opinion doesn't have to be forced down our throats. Not liking Brawl or Sm4sh or just not wanting to waste time on those games when we could instead be playing the wonder that is Melee all the time has absolutely nothing to do with "being open to new things".

My analogy is pretty much spot on. Why would I waste my time listening to One Direction if I don't like them? I shouldn't even waste my time hating on them or try to explain my opinion to fans of One Direction. So because I'm not a fan of boy bands means I'm not open to new things? No thanks I will just spend my time listening to music I actually enjoy. Forcing others to like what you like or trying to make them share your opinion is a very close-minded mentality that a majority of kids have on the internet. They aren't yet mature enough to realize that different people have different opinions and like different stuff. And usually when they grow up they realize that they don't even like that stuff anymore either. Like 10 yo kids that like Tobuscus videos....they will yell death threats at anyone that even mildly criticizes a video but then they finally grow up, mature, and think "Wow, Tobuscus is a moron. why did I ever like that fool?"
its a discussion,people can counter your opinions ,if they play melee or not, imo y would you bother waste time on a game where you'll ultimately be a pot monster for 5 years or more due to how long the game has been played competitively.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
its a discussion,people can counter your opinions ,if they play melee or not, imo y would you bother waste time on a game where you'll ultimately be a pot monster for 5 years or more due to how long the game has been played competitively.
Because I don't play for the money. I play to improve my skills in a game I love with people that I like. Melee is a lot more fun for me because it's near impossible to reach the true skill ceiling (unlike Sm4sh), the game requires a lot of technical skill that enhances your performance (unlike Sm4sh), has a lot of mind games and mixups (such as DI tricks, which aren't in Sm4sh), has a competitive depth that I have yet to find in another fighting game, and a LOT of other stuff that I won't go into for time's sake.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Because I don't play for the money. I play to improve my skills in a game I love with people that I like. Melee is a lot more fun for me because it's near impossible to reach the true skill ceiling (unlike Sm4sh), the game requires a lot of technical skill that enhances your performance (unlike Sm4sh), has a lot of mind games and mixups (such as DI tricks, which aren't in Sm4sh), has a competitive depth that I have yet to find in another fighting game, and a LOT of other stuff that I won't go into for time's sake.
nice, you have just shown your complete lack of knowledge of smash 4. I don't pretend to know about melee in depth so don't pretend to know about smash 4.stop trying to cause a flame war, because I can list melees and its communities flaws , but I wont caz im not a child

kingPiano

Smash Ace
nice, you have just shown your complete lack of knowledge of smash 4. I don't pretend to know about melee in depth so don't pretend to know about smash 4.stop trying to cause a flame war, because I can list melees and its communities flaws , but I wont caz im not a child
lol NoviceSmasher.....welcome to the internet.

In fact it's you that's trying to start a flame war right now. Grow up, and if you don't play Melee then perhaps it's best not to even go into the Melee forums. I'm sure no one really cares about your opinion and it's probably already been said a thousand times in this very thread already.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
lol NoviceSmasher.....welcome to the internet.

In fact it's you that's trying to start a flame war right now. Grow up, and if you don't play Melee then perhaps it's best not to even go into the Melee forums. I'm sure no one really cares about your opinion and it's probably already been said a thousand times in this very thread already.
lol you grow up , its the internet , my opinion is as valid as yours. you dont see me listing the flaws of melee , but your buddy up there is talking **** bout smash 4, don't be so blindly biased

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
lol you grow up , its the internet , my opinion is as valid as yours. you dont see me listing the flaws of melee , but your buddy up there is talking **** bout smash 4, don't be so blindly biased
You said that the reason you don't play Melee is because you won't win tournaments for a few years (which I actually think the length of time Melee has been out is a positive because the game and community have developed significantly), so I listed why I play Melee instead of Sm4sh.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't entitled to state I know nothing about Smash 4 (I've tried to like it and it just has no potential) and say I'm starting a flame war instead of counterarguing. Ad hominem isn't effective in an online conversation you have with someone you know nothing about.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Sigh... I really hate having to defend both games I really do, on the other hand I do like voicing my opinion on discussions like these...

I play and have been playing Melee competitively since 2005. I play because I am playing with some of the best friends I've ever had in my life. We like the flashiness and we like the technicality of the game. We will probably play for years to come. Honestly we have stopped playing this game to try many many new games as we are pretty dedicated gamers, but we always come back to Melee. I would like to participate in tournaments if I had the time, but I usually don't. I'm not in it for the money or to become the next big star of smash, I just want to have a good time. If you're in it for the money, you're in the wrong league. You should be playing high rated eSports games like CS,Dota2/LoL, and such.

I have also been playing Sm4sh since it has come out give or take weeks of inactivity. My friends don't like it all too much, but are open to sometimes playing. The things @ Spak Spak has mentioned, he is not lying. Reading down these many pages I see the same thing from the more... how should I put it, thoughtful posters. Sm4sh is what it is. I will not and never try to make it out to anything more than what it is. The skill ceiling, it is not as high and highly achievable. The tech-skill is just not in that game (at the same level), you cannot kid yourself with that. Mindgames and such? There is not a lot to offer. It's redeeming qualities? Easy to pick up, fun to play (depending on matchup... good god some of them are just...), a CURRENT meta of "you can do it!" with many characters (I love stomping with Ganon), online play (say what you like, I like FG), and whatever else you make it out to be. I mean, stuff is there, but stuff some people really liked are not there. Oddly enough I have alot of Tekken friends who like Sm4sh. I think they like the neutral game it presents. It really is all about frames in a game like this because there's no canceling and movement is limited. I guess they like that, that's cool.

No one is forcing anyone to play either game. No one is forcing someone to like a game. Seriously, you can hate a game and that's okay, I don't care. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes you have to face the fact that some opinions are really dumb (and potentially ignore or try to correct them is better for the down-spiraling human society :D). Try to distinguish good and respectable opinions civilly.

Another nice thing about Sm4sh because hell, why lie to you guys? The new blood. I feel like a super saiyajin among mere humans when I play the new blood (obviously depending on the opponent). I will always help others when they ask and have a good attitude, don't get me wrong, but ripping new buttholes into newcomers is fun for me. Spread 'em

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Sigh... I really hate having to defend both games I really do, on the other hand I do like voicing my opinion on discussions like these...

I play and have been playing Melee competitively since 2005. I play because I am playing with some of the best friends I've ever had in my life. We like the flashiness and we like the technicality of the game. We will probably play for years to come. Honestly we have stopped playing this game to try many many new games as we are pretty dedicated gamers, but we always come back to Melee. I would like to participate in tournaments if I had the time, but I usually don't. I'm not in it for the money or to become the next big star of smash, I just want to have a good time. If you're in it for the money, you're in the wrong league. You should be playing high rated eSports games like CS,Dota2/LoL, and such.

I have also been playing Sm4sh since it has come out give or take weeks of inactivity. My friends don't like it all too much, but are open to sometimes playing. The things @ Spak Spak has mentioned, he is not lying. Reading down these many pages I see the same thing from the more... how should I put it, thoughtful posters. Sm4sh is what it is. I will not and never try to make it out to anything more than what it is. The skill ceiling, it is not as high and highly achievable. The tech-skill is just not in that game (at the same level), you cannot kid yourself with that. Mindgames and such? There is not a lot to offer. It's redeeming qualities? Easy to pick up, fun to play (depending on matchup... good god some of them are just...), a CURRENT meta of "you can do it!" with many characters (I love stomping with Ganon), online play (say what you like, I like FG), and whatever else you make it out to be. I mean, stuff is there, but stuff some people really liked are not there. Oddly enough I have alot of Tekken friends who like Sm4sh. I think they like the neutral game it presents. It really is all about frames in a game like this because there's no canceling and movement is limited. I guess they like that, that's cool.

No one is forcing anyone to play either game. No one is forcing someone to like a game. Seriously, you can hate a game and that's okay, I don't care. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes you have to face the fact that some opinions are really dumb (and potentially ignore or try to correct). Try to distinguish good and respectable opinions civilly.

Another nice thing about Sm4sh because hell, why lie to you guys? The new blood. I feel like a super saiyajin among mere humans when I play the new blood (obviously depending on the opponent). I will always help others when they ask and have a good attitude, don't get me wrong, but ripping new buttholes into newcomers is fun for me. Spread 'em

Yes, yes yes. I think there is this misconception among newbies that since it's a newer game they have some sort of leveling playing field advantage...

lol no

Give any veteran Melee or even Brawl player a week or two with your beloved Sm4sh and they will be wrecking you even if you been practicing since it came out. They already have a deeper understanding of the fundementals, spacing, reading, and they most likely have a much more refined competitive mindset/intuition. Also since there aren't any advanced tech or meta to really give you the edge from all your practice there will never be a large skill gap like you see in Melee from people who have played for 10 years or someone who has only played a year or two. A game of limited depth works against you too since there is a lower ceiling.

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Yes, yes yes. I think there is this misconception among newbies that since it's a newer game they have some sort of leveling playing field advantage...

lol no

Give any veteran Melee or even Brawl player a week or two with your beloved Sm4sh and they will be wrecking you even if you been practicing since it came out. They already have a deeper understanding of the fundementals, spacing, reading, and they most likely have a much more refined competitive mindset/intuition. Also since there aren't any advanced tech or meta to really give you the edge from all your practice there will never be a large skill gap like you see in Melee from people who have played for 10 years or someone who has only played a year or two. A game of limited depth works against you too since there is a lower ceiling.
YEA SURE HYPOTHETICALLY,lol zero wins everything, hmmm no skill gap eh? and the game has plenty of depth, just because your too busy fangirling over your "gods" to notice, lol y do melee vets think they know everything bout a game without even owning it, lol

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
YEA SURE HYPOTHETICALLY,lol zero wins everything, hmmm no skill gap eh? and the game has plenty of depth, just because your too busy fangirling over your "gods" to notice, lol y do melee vets think they know everything bout a game without even owning it, lol
To be fair, that guy also played Melee at a very high level (many people don't know that). Along with PM, Brawl, and Sm4sh he has had nothing but high level experience playing everything that is SmashBros. He is, technically speaking, a Melee vet as well.

Edit: There's depth, different kinds of depth to be honest. It is not however as deep as Melee which many try to make it out to have (I mean at least right now unless super crazy and I mean CRAZY stuff gets discovered). I'm okay with that though. Please refrain from assumptions...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom