• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate for the heels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Now admittedly the NES and the SNES were before my time, but I'm thinking she was blocky and pixellated back then because of system limitations? I'm not sure the situation back then is comparable to now because maybe they always intended her to look as she does now but couldn't.
Even if that isn't the case, I only remember there being one game where one could play Samus in a leotard from start to finish, and it wasn't Other M...

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Now admittedly the NES and the SNES were before my time, but I'm thinking she was blocky and pixellated back then because of system limitations? I'm not sure the situation back then is comparable to now because maybe they always intended her to look as she does now but couldn't.
Even if that isn't the case, I only remember there being one game where one could play Samus in a leotard from start to finish, and it wasn't Other M...
Technical limitations are one of the reasons she wasn't as sexualized then as she is now. Another is that her identity was an afterthought, and that the games were still about a "robot suit" exploring alien planets.

Justin Bailey wasn't just sexy pixels, it was also a cheat-code that didn't come with the game manual.

But I'm not saying here that Samus wasn't sexualized, she still was, and that aspect has been criticized before, and still is.

Last edited:

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
I feel that the original sexualization of Samus (eg. end of game reward) was more damaging to Samus' character than Other M (visually, not personality) or SSB4. Samus may be more sexy now, but she is a badass while being sexy. Whereas in the original Metroid she may have only been exposed for a single screen, but that single screen reduced her from being a badass to a sexualized reward for the player.

Last edited:

Abcat1337

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sirach
3DS FC
3539-9738-8755
I never understood the problem, they're jet heels, that's friggin' awesome, I've seen some people say how it's unrealistic to be able to fight in heels but there's two problems with that argument. 1. Samus being able to fight in heels just means she's that more awesome because it implies that no matter what the circumstances of her abilities she's still going to do a damn fine job at defending herself and 2. It's not the plumber who shoots fire balls after touching specific flowers, it's not the penguin wielding a giant hammer (With hidden jet thrusters by the way.) it's the bounty hunter wearing jet thruster heels that people complain about being unrealistic.

I've seen a few other arguments on it but anything else I have to say is pretty much in this here video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA7PHtpzSFQ
I never understood either. I noticed you play Tekken, too. GOOD

Arteen

Smash Lord

How does that pose even work? Where does her lower leg end and her foot begin?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I found the perfect picture for this, I'll totally post when I get home.

Well here it is

heels.png

Kinda makes me feel bad for the poor Woman

Last edited by a moderator:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Well here it is

View attachment 14837
Kinda makes me feel bad for the poor Woman
Very funny picture. It makes it seem like people are criticizing a video game character for wearing heels.
Of course, that's not true.
They are actually criticizing Nintendo for giving a thumbs up to obvious sexual objectification in their games.

Also, it's kind of funny, but there seems to be a clear majority of people on the net that won't shut up about the people who are complaining about the heels, compared to the people that complain about the heels.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Very funny picture. It makes it seem like people are criticizing a video game character for wearing heels.
They are actually criticizing Nintendo for giving a thumbs up to obvious sexual objectification in their games.

Also, it's kind of funny, but there seems to be a clear majority of people on the net that won't shut up about the people who are complaining about the heels, compared to the people that complain about the heels.
Yeah totally bro I feel for you and her but such is the world we live in D;, maybe we will learn to one day understand each other and get along T.T.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think the thing going for Samus was the fact that she's the one female in the game who's not a princess who wears a dress... and now she has heels...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the thing going for Samus was the fact that she's the one female in the game who's not a princess who wears a dress... and now she has heels...
:4wiifit:?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm actually more bothered about her overall design, -as already mentioned- she does looks like a dolly adult movie star.

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I'm more worried about the makeup than about the heels. I loved the Metroid series (I started late with Fusion being my first Metroid) and want nothing more than Samus to be a Ripley-esque heroine that put bishounen stick figures to shame... but the reality is that Samus has been sexualized from the start, and this entire issue is a farce. People just want to be loud and annoying while utilizing buzzwords so they can get attention.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379

So they are criticizing Nintendo for continuing what has been happening since the very first Metroid game? (which reduced Samus from being the supposed badass to a sexualized reward where she strips the better you play) Seems like it's a bit late for them to jump on that train, don't you think?

Although they do look pretty stupid, especially with removed random tripping.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
So they are criticizing Nintendo for continuing what has been happening since the very first Metroid game? (which reduced Samus from being the supposed badass to a sexualized reward where she strips the better you play) Seems like it's a bit late for them to jump on that train, don't you think?

Although they do look pretty stupid, especially with removed random tripping.
Yes.
And
No, why would it be too late for that?

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I am happy that I have complete control over the novels that I've written and published.

If someone tells me that one of my characters can't be a certain way, or something doesn't make sense... well, I just laugh and tell them that if I wanted a random black hole to open up in the middle of my world and destroy everything before spitting out a kitten and rainbows, then I could do that.

There was some fantasy MMO where you had the standard sword wielding classes and magic users. Then the company ended up adding gun wielding classes, and a little later Mech riders into the game.

So many people complained about how that "didn't fit" into the fantasy world.

Well people... that's like walking up to the god of that world and telling them what should and shouldn't be in the world they created.

In the end, it's all just opinions. You can complain all you want, but if those with the creative rights wish to do something with a character then they can.

I applaud their team for actually giving the heels a purpose, as someone else mentioned. Whether someone sees it as those running the show trying to make her look more sexy or not, you hardly have the capability of telling those with the creative rights what they should and shouldn't do.

Yes, they might lose old fans. I'm sure they will get new fans though. You never know if/when Nintendo might completely reboot a series anyway, and make it so Samus was always that way.

Old fans will die out, and new fans will always come along. -shrugs-

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm not bothered by the change and I think the new shoes look kinda cool personally. I do know where other people are coming from however. I think when the smash team was given her Other M design they could of just stuck with the design as it was but instead they made changes that would serve a better purpose while keeping true to the design of Other M. I personally think the new jet boots are an improvement and I like the design of them.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
This thread is yet another example of people making a glorious crusade/debate out of something relatively simple. Samus has, from the very start, been something of an enigma. A cold, steely bounty hunter, who just so happens to be physically beautiful beneath her armor. It's an interesting juxtaposition (though admittedly less of a juxtaposition with the expanded personality she received in Other M). I don't know why people flip out over her being blonde and buxom; so women who have good looks can't be kick-butt bounty hunters? If anything, that's pretty sexist sounding to me.

Yes, I know my argument isn't perfect. It's even a little ridiculous. But honestly, the whole argument is ridiculous. Perhaps I just don't understand. I can't wrap my brain around how she's "objectified" by her looks when she's still a strong, intelligent, and deadly fighter. If anything, that's the point of Zero Suit Samus. She's just as capable outside of her iconic suit as she is in it.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
When the escapist uploads the "The Big Picture" episode that played on Tuesday, it's going to come up here. It brings up a point I could never word as good as he did.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
When the escapist uploads the "The Big Picture" episode that played on Tuesday, it's going to come up here. It brings up a point I could never word as good as he did.

Skip to 2:49. I really don't think character design is important if said character doesn't have a brain, and the only Nintendo characters with a brain are the characters in Paper Mario, Kid Icarus and a couple Pokemon characters. Everyone else is either bad because of undefined reasons, merely an extension of the player's personality, or is a brainless NPC no one would be emotionally invested in (most of Nintendo's female characters end up in this boat). Nintendo doesn't make characters with personality, so removing ZSS from existence isn't going to make Power Suit Samus any less empty and one-dimensional. It's not going to make women interested in the Metroid franchise. It's certainly not going to make Other M any less misogynistic.

The only significant thing it would do is guarantee players wouldn't know Samus was a girl until the Prime games, and rob the Metroid franchise of a character slot for representing the series. They'd have to fill it with Rundas or Dark Samus (would be a 1:1 clone of Samus with superficial differences) or, god-forbid, Ridley.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
yes, and there are also little pink puff balls that can eat anything without growing in size, electric rodents, male/female mountain climbing identical twins, and blue hedgehogs that can run at the speed of sound.

Super Smash Bros. has always been about realism in its games, so its obvious an intergalactic bounty hunter can't fight in heels, we should just leave that to the pretty blond haired blue eyed princesses in the pink and opal gowns as they is the only ones who can pull it off no problem.
Nonono shhhhh she can fly it doesn't count

Heels makes fails, but not for prissy pink Jedi

Fwiw I am sometimes better with ZSS than my main (!!!) and I am indifferent to this change, watching the (redacted tvtropes reference that might not go over well) go nuts over it.

Samus is as Samus does.

I think this is a great feminazi reveal thread. If you aren't looking for it this does not strike you as objectification at all. (Source: personal experience)

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Samus's sex has been exploited from the beginning. This is something I will neither deny, nor attempt to defend. The fastest time depictions of her have typically shown her in skimpy clothes striking a sexy pose, with little or no context, like she was a Barbie doll tossed in for male amusement. Despite all that, I can still argue that some appreciation needs to be given for the fact Samus being a woman at all was really subversive and cool given the time period. It was such a momentous step forward for one of gaming's most consummate badasses to be a woman, that for her to show up in skimpy outfits could be forgiven, hell, even embraced, given appropriate context; maybe the climate on her home planet is very hot, maybe she just likes wearing those clothes. It's not even really inherently wrong for a woman to wear clothes that show a bunch of skin. You just have to have a good answer to the question, "why."

Back in the day, it was really hard to provide an adequate answer to that question. But now it's not. Games have tremendous storytelling power now. It's possible to show Samus in a casual setting, and provide hints of context. If we see a bunch of other humans around wearing similarly small clothing, then we know that's just a fashionable thing, and that can be the end of it. I personally would think post-Fusion, Samus would be seen in warm clothes, given her new sensitivity to cold, but that's just speculation.

Another thing that's changed is that some gamers are aware now of social issues, and many are starting to point out the objectification of women in games, and serving a vital role of at least broaching the question, "why?" What's really upsetting about Samus's portrayal, is that in attempting to answer that question, Nintendo has either made it worse, or brought in a whole new wave of situations where "why" must be asked. The introduction of high heels is a great place to ask the question, "why," and demand not just a half-assed answer, but an answer that makes sense, and doesn't lead to another "why."

Why does ZSS have high heels now? The popular answer is that heels hurt more. I don't think this answer is adequate. Samus could already do this in nothing but a jumpsuit at age sixteen:

It stands to reason a kick from someone like this would be lethal barefoot. So why are the heels so necessary as to outweigh their impracticality? Well, on their own, they're really not. If she needs the extra durability, she's got a friggin' power suit anyway. The jet boots add another attempt to answer why. "Well, they need to have a place for the jet fuselage!" I don't know how much I agree here. I mean, does Iron Man wear heels for his repulsors? No. This is a purely fictional technology we're supposing here, so the explanation for its appearance is just rationalization. That means you're just rationalizing to answer why ZSS is now wearing high heels, and a rationalization is still not an adequate answer to the question, "why."

So I always answer the question of why I dislike the heels with another question. Why does she have them?

AnimeCW

Smash Rookie
This is what we get for letting special interests like feminism invade gaming these past few years to the point where being a damsel in distress is such a negative when it has been a tired but effective trope since forever.

Zamus is fine the way she is. Shes still a badass who looks good doing it. Dimple. If you were a real feminist, you would not only appreciate that but applaud the fact that she not only has her own slot this year, her fighting style improved greatly, and her model updated nicely but instead all those positives are being overshadowed by a forced tumblr cruisade of hipster tryhards trying to make their voice heard and change the fabric of gaming, today. Sad. I've seen some good opinions about the issue but most is all fake outraging for the sake of fake outraging.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well, after playing as her I can say that you will never notice the heels in combat. Zamus is quick, smooth, mobile, and a powerhouse. Maybe she is sexed up. Maybe the heels are stupid. In the end, it makes little difference because this is not your Other M Samus. This is a strong and powerful woman who can wear whatever she goddamn feels like.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
This is what we get for letting special interests like feminism invade gaming these past few years to the point where being a damsel in distress is such a negative when it has been a tired but effective trope since forever.

Zamus is fine the way she is. Shes still a badass who looks good doing it. Dimple. If you were a real feminist, you would not only appreciate that but applaud the fact that she not only has her own slot this year, her fighting style improved greatly, and her model updated nicely but instead all those positives are being overshadowed by a forced tumblr cruisade of hipster tryhards trying to make their voice heard and change the fabric of gaming, today. Sad. I've seen some good opinions about the issue but most is all fake outraging for the sake of fake outraging.
As soon as new media or art is treated seriously, people start to have serious discussions about said media. Video games are a part of our culture and gaming is way more mainstream today than it was back in the 80s or 90s.

You have to learn to accept that people have different opinions.

bobadz

Smash Ace

In zero mission they specifically said not to give her heels.

The problem is that they are impractical.

Still better then the other m heels.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, how times change. Sakamoto you clown you.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think we should wait until we see how ZSS plays before we decide the shoes are impractical.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's still better then the other m heels., but I'd rather we just had normal boots for zero suit Samus.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's still better then the other m heels., but I'd rather we just had normal boots for zero suit Samus.
I think it's obvious they gave ZSS rocket boots to cover for Sakamoto's horrible and inconsistent design decisions. They didn't even change her face to match the Other M design, meaning there is at least some resentment there.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't get it either, I think they look really cool. I think there are more important things to be concerned about.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I don't get it either, I think they look really cool. I think there are more important things to be concerned about.
This, I think, should be the general consensus. It's a video game. The insistence for practicality and justification (and sexual equality, I guess?) for a video game character known for fighting alien space pirates and rolling herself into a ball in her super-suit with an arm-canon is, in a word, silly. When put next to all of the other gizmos and gadgets, Samus's rocket-heels don't seem ridiculous at all. You don't have to like them on a personal level, but at least give a passing nod to objectivity, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom