• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate for the heels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I never understood the problem, they're jet heels, that's friggin' awesome, I've seen some people say how it's unrealistic to be able to fight in heels but there's two problems with that argument. 1. Samus being able to fight in heels just means she's that more awesome because it implies that no matter what the circumstances of her abilities she's still going to do a damn fine job at defending herself and 2. It's not the plumber who shoots fire balls after touching specific flowers, it's not the penguin wielding a giant hammer (With hidden jet thrusters by the way.) it's the bounty hunter wearing jet thruster heels that people complain about being unrealistic.

I've seen a few other arguments on it but anything else I have to say is pretty much in this here video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA7PHtpzSFQ

Sooner or later we're all going to be clamoring about how manly it is to give Mario 2nd degree burns with our rocket boots. This whole sexism thing is just a fad.

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
"OMG SHE HAS HEULZ LIEK OTHER M OMG BAD DESIGN SAMURAI WHAI"

I'm guessing people were left with a bad taste in their mouths after Other M and will hate on anything coming from that game, including Zamus's heels.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
People will probably continue to hate on anything related to Powersuit-less Samus for years to come until she becomes a guy or a grandma.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Considering that there's people on this forum that consider beating up Hitler (Mii) with Link a bad thing...you can see the overall quality of tastes.
Also, feminist extremists think that a woman being attractive is automatically objecifying her.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Basically
Most people dislike it because the atmospheric seriousness of the metroid series.
In that world wearing high heals was just practical when most performance include the feet.
If just makes it harder to take seriously like we used to because they are sexualizing and
not focusing on the fetures that made use respect her. Now it just seems like im watch blond
bayanetta fight which is just fan service. basically people are seeing it as a bastardization of the character
and i some what agree. Heels are casual clothing she might as well be wearing a restrictive dress since she would be
"more awesome for doing so"
So basically i just throw zero suit in the bayanetta bandwagon of sex appeal now. Shes just there to be sexy when that was not what the original fans of the older games were looking for in her character.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly like the heels; I feel as though it contributes to her character. I can see why someone might state that it attenuates her character, or the sexuality implications. But those arguments aren't entirely material, the only relevant notion is your interpretation of her design.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I honestly like the heels; I feel as though it contributes to her character. I can see why someone might state that it attenuates her character, or the sexuality implications. But those arguments aren't entirely material, the only relevant notion is your interpretation of her design.
Agreed
i personally don't like them but it won't make me think less of the character. (yet)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
"OMG SHE HAS HEULZ LIEK OTHER M OMG BAD DESIGN SAMURAI WHAI"

I'm guessing people were left with a bad taste in their mouths after Other M and will hate on anything coming from that game, including Zamus's heels.
This is unfortunately the main reason. Oh well haters gonna hate, but i enjoyed that game and its designs are in no way bad. And the ones claiming its not practical need to look at a few other characters because they arent going for reality when it comes to this.

She looks better then i could have ever hoped

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Basically
Most people dislike it because the atmospheric seriousness of the metroid series.
In that world wearing high heals was just practical when most performance include the feet.
If just makes it harder to take seriously like we used to because they are sexualizing and
not focusing on the fetures that made use respect her. Now it just seems like im watch blond
bayanetta fight which is just fan service. basically people are seeing it as a *******ization of the character
and i some what agree. Heels are casual clothing she might as well be wearing a restrictive dress since she would be
So basically i just throw zero suit in the bayanetta bandwagon of sex appeal now. Shes just there to be sexy when that was not what the original fans of the older games were looking for in her character.
The point of Zero Suit Samus is to be sexy because she contrasts with the cold hard metal exterior or normal Samus, and yes, they're heels, but I'd hardly call rocket boots that propel you through the air 'impractical in battle'.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The point of Zero Suit Samus is to be sexy because she contrasts with the cold hard metal exterior or normal Samus, and yes, they're heels, but I'd hardly call rocket boots that propel you through the air 'impractical in battle'.
Im glad you have ur opinion i just thought i made it clear thats the generalization of the character. and i believe standard heal rockets that were flat along the sole of your foot would be much easyer and practical to control. like all the experiments done in physics its always easiest to control when its close to human anatomy.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Anti-feminist gamers seem to think that feminist gamers are against attractive women.
Feminist gamers are really against designs in a game distributed worldwide designed by old rich men in a country where the gender gap is among the highest in the world.

Also, didn't we already discuss this in a thread, that was locked?

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Im glad you have ur opinion i just thought i made it clear thats the generalization of the character. and i believe standard heal rockets that were flat along the sole of your foot would be much easyer and practical to control. like all the experiments done in physics its always easiest to control when its close to human anatomy.
But they wouldn't look as awesome :p

Ragna22

Smash Ace
While I agree that I don't quite see eye to eye with the decision of how Samus was portrayed in Other M as a character I do still love her design in that game and ya know, in gameplay and in Smash, Samus is still kicking ass so and as long as that's happening I'm very open to Sakurai's decisions with her in Smash and I'm not gonna lie, I think the jet heels look friggin awesome.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I feel compelled to share something I found on tumblr with y'all since it is relevant.

By share-art-and-smile: I get that some people don’t accept something new so easily, but come on! High heels + on Samus = Tremendous pain!

This is just my opinion, but I think some of the fans don’t give Samus enough credit. They think she’s become sexualized, or being such a girly girl for having fashion.

I normally think Samus doesn’t need them to be better because she’s already so good. But I also think she could use anything as a weapon. Don’t think too lowly of Samus. She can use these, fashionable/girly high heels, and turn them lethal.

Of course, these aren’t normal heels. They have rocket boots, and give her a little more strength.

Have you ever been stepped on by heels? I certainly don’t want to know what it’s like.
To which Linkaro had responded with: Surly gamers knows the dangers of heels… right? No…? Let Sindel give you two example:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I feel compelled to share something I found on tumblr with y'all since it is relevant.

To which Linkaro had responded with: Surly gamers knows the dangers of heels… right? No…? Let Sindel give you two example:
Lol sindel dose not help the sexualized part of the argument

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace

I don't know if this would count but Bayonetta's gun heels are pretty lethal too.

Typs

Smash Cadet
For me the problem isn't that ZSS is sexier (a sexy video game character isn't bad, look at bayonetta, great character), it's that they're going too far from the original ZSS just to have a super sexy character in the game. The ZSS from Brawl was close from her design in zero mission and they kept her signature paralyzing gun, of course in the game her moves were limited so they gave her gun a whip attack, but it didn't fell forced and work pretty well with the character.

To me however the heels do not fell natural, rockets powered kicks is a good idea, but it should have been less... "in your face", two little rockets attached to her ankles? Sure why not! A pair of heels brighter than the sun that screams "Look how sexy samus is!"? i have a hard time accepting it.

So in other word:
-ZSS being sexier? HECK YEAH!
-ZSS looking less like herself just to look sexier? HECK NO!

VictoriaYr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-6451-1789
I do not understand. Those heels are not very good looking in my opinion, nor are they as impractical as people are making them out to be. I do not see any conclusive footage that suggests that Samus's ability to move is hindered by switching her footwear. Also, how can it affect the Metroid series if Samus doesn't wear them in a Metroid game? Consider it from her point of view... she wanted more power to her kicks so that is what they do. If you got invited to duke it out with other characters, you'd want to upgrade your weak points as well. I do not think Samus could realistically use any other footwear with that model, especially considering the cost.

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
Have you guys even looked at those heels. They're so ugly. They make her feet look huge, you can see how bent her feet are, and worst of all that bright yellow color completely clashes with the rest of her outfit. Sure, yellow is the color of her whip, but that doesn't stop those shoes from being so hideous. If they at least looked like boots rather than high heeled slippers, I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Basically
bayanetta fight which is just fan service. basically people are seeing it as a *******ization of the character
Hold on, what??

Shes just there to be sexy when that was not what the original fans of the older games were looking for in her character.
Holy monkeys! Are we talking about the same fans who speed ran through most 2D Metroid games to see her like this?

I guess they do know what to look for in their characters.

The pic shows that Samus has had a certain sex appeal since day one.

As for my 2 cents, no, she isn't being sexualized. Those heels are not meant to look sexy or fashionable at all but to provide her an edge in combat by giving her a jumping boost and for dealing powerful kicks; Samus is still the same attractive badass that we saw in the last Smash. And before we say again "dude, but heels are not practical" let me remind you that this game has two princesses fighting in a dress and a frog wearing his tongue as a scarf. In a game that meshes different worlds with their different rules (and definitely different than our real world) like Smash, arguing that heels aren't practical (Peach has heels as well) is plain silly. And yes, Metroid is a more realistic series but the boundaries of it's reality are broken just by the fact that Samus is coexisting with Mario, Pikachu, Olimar, etc. in the same game.

The "feminists" pretending to be against this are just a bunch of hypocrites. The only reason they are hating on the heels is because they have the Other M label on that, is that simple to know. These same people lost their **** when Samus with her Other M power suit was revealed; when the pyrosphere stage was shown the reaction was the same and now they are going through the same phase with Zamus. Oh, and once Ridley is shown in his Other M design, people will lose it a fourth time.

Last edited:

Typs

Smash Cadet
As for my 2 cents, no, she isn't being sexualized. Those heels are not meant to look sexy or fashionable at all but to provide her an edge in combat by giving her a jumping boost and for dealing powerful kicks.
Wait, what?
There are 20 bagillion ways you can have rockets powered kicks and even more ways to giver her a jump-boost, but they choose high heels, HIGH HEELS! If ZSS is wearing those it's to make her look sexy!

You can like the heels, that's your opinion and i'm ok with it. But if you think that they aren't meant to make ZSS sexier, then you're just wrong.

And yes, Metroid is a more realistic series but the boundaries of it's reality are broken just by the fact that Samus is coexisting with Mario, Pikachu, Olimar, etc. in the same game.
i disagree with this, smash is about all the best nintendo character getting together, so they should, in my opinion, stay as close as possible to the way they are in their game.As you said metroid is realistic and (again in my opinion) the characters from those games should stay that way.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wait, what?
There are 20 bagillion ways you can have rockets powered kicks and even more ways to giver her a jump-boost, but they choose high heels, HIGH HEELS! If ZSS is wearing those it's to make her look sexy!

You can like the heels, that's your opinion and i'm ok with it. But if you think that they aren't meant to make ZSS sexier, then you're just wrong.
They were mainly meant for the purposes I mentioned. They are appealing from a combat view more than from a fashion standpoint. Besides, saying that this over sexualizes her is plain wrong.

i disagree with this, smash is about all the best nintendo character getting together, so they should, in my opinion, stay as close as possible to the way they are in their game.As you said metroid is realistic and (again in my opinion) the characters from those games should stay that way.
The moment universes cross over and clash with each other, certain rules of reality are inevitably broken. That's why you don't ask how Chris Redfield is able to punch the Hulk. Which is why making a hissy fit because her heels are "impractical" from a realistic standard is pointless. Metroid has the morph ball, which is even more implausible than having jet heels in combat.
Metal Gear is more realistic than Metroid, how do you explain that Snake can make a double jump in the air without additional equipment? Shouldn't he stay the way he is in his game and give him a single jump? The guy is already giving the middle finger to physics by doing that. Peach and Rosalina fight in dresses, shouldn't they change into their jump suits from Mario Kart? This is suddenly wrong and is now a big deal.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Eww... The same dumb arguments still going on.

Have you guys even looked at those heels. They're so ugly. They make her feet look huge, you can see how bent her feet are, and worst of all that bright yellow color completely clashes with the rest of her outfit. Sure, yellow is the color of her whip, but that doesn't stop those shoes from being so hideous. If they at least looked like boots rather than high heeled slippers, I wouldn't have a problem with them.
Yeah, I questioned why yellow too.
Maybe if we're lucky, the heels will come in different colors along with the zero suit in the palette swaps. Not a fan of the yellow either.

DMAGZ

Smash Rookie
Samus is sexy, heels or no heels. Her design is and has always been meant to be sexy. How can something be added to sexualize a character that is already over-sexualized? As sakurai said, the reason why her jet boots were added was to improve her weaknesses in gameplay (recovery), and the heels match her sexy design a lot more than big, clunky moon-shoes would.

I dont think the yellow looks that bad, her bracelets use the same color and it kind of matches her blonde hair. Still, I hope the color swaps will provide some better options.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Hold on, what??

Holy monkeys! Are we talking about the same fans who speed ran through most 2D Metroid games to see her like this?

I guess they do know what to look for in their characters.

The pic shows that Samus has had a certain sex appeal since day one.

As for my 2 cents, no, she isn't being sexualized. Those heels are not meant to look sexy or fashionable at all but to provide her an edge in combat by giving her a jumping boost and for dealing powerful kicks; Samus is still the same attractive badass that we saw in the last Smash. And before we say again "dude, but heels are not practical" let me remind you that this game has two princesses fighting in a dress and a frog wearing his tongue as a scarf. In a game that meshes different worlds with their different rules (and definitely different than our real world) like Smash, arguing that heels aren't practical (Peach has heels as well) is plain silly. And yes, Metroid is a more realistic series but the boundaries of it's reality are broken just by the fact that Samus is coexisting with Mario, Pikachu, Olimar, etc. in the same game.

The "feminists" pretending to be against this are just a bunch of hypocrites. The only reason they are hating on the heels is because they have the Other M label on that, is that simple to know. These same people lost their **** when Samus with her Other M power suit was revealed; when the pyrosphere stage was shown the reaction was the same and now they are going through the same phase with Zamus. Oh, and once Ridley is shown in his Other M design, people will lose it a fourth time.
Hmm your argument is very valid but like all those games have you playing in your suit most of the time. What im saying is not that she is not sexy its more like they ignore that factor witch is what i DO like but in that case it a more personal matter. Plus that post was the generalization of why many people dislike the heels not just my opinion. Since i do not share all those sentiments.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Nobody, and I say literally nobody complains about Chell's, ever, even though they looked like actual equipment in Portal but were redesign for no reason and looked like footwear in Portal 2.

But nah, those are YELLOW and...and...and......well THEY'RE HEELS ANYWAY SO IT'S TERRIBLE.

I can't take those people seriously.

Typs

Smash Cadet
Nobody, and I say literally nobody complains about Chell's, ever, even though they looked like actual equipment in Portal but were redesign for no reason and looked like footwear in Portal 2.

But nah, those are YELLOW and...and...and......well THEY'RE HEELS ANYWAY SO IT'S TERRIBLE.

I can't take those people seriously.
Wow! calm down dude!
You know sometime people have opinions that are different than yours, you don't have to ridicule them for it, plus it would be nice to have a decent discussion on that topic, and i don't think that kind of post helps.

Anyway, for the portal 1/portal 2 comparaison, i think the main difference is that her feet were already angled in portal 1, and in portal 2 they just added the boot part, if valve had them redesigned to look like high heels instead of the current design, people would have complained.

And i think the portal 2 design looks better than than the barefoot one,so no complains from me, but you know, opinion and stuff.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Wow! calm down dude!
You know sometime people have opinions that are different than yours, you don't have to ridicule them for it, plus it would be nice to have a decent discussion on that topic, and i don't think that kind of post helps.
Well I'm sorry if it sounded offensive, if it is, I didn't mean harm.
I just find some of the reasons for people to complain a little...weird.
Guess that impression was a bit mean.

Anyway, for the portal 1/portal 2 comparaison, i think the main difference is that her feet were already angled in portal 1, and in portal 2 they just added the boot part, if valve had them redesigned to look like high heels instead of the current design, people would have complained.

And i think the portal 2 design looks better than than the barefoot one,so no complains from me, but you know, opinion and stuff.
No worry, I like them better too, but they look a bit less like an equipment, and why? for nothing. It changed just because, even though it does the same. That was a way to adress people who complained about the "needless" change to Samus even though Sakurai didn't just explain how they work, but actually showed the difference.

But that's not the only thing that can be compared.
Samus's boots are, let's be honest, BETTER than Chell's (about what they can do, design is objective of course). Aside from balance and surviving high falls, they are used for attack and can help Samus fly, they're JET boots. That's even what Sakurai called them, boots. With a heel structure.
And just because of the heel structure, people think it's impratical.

D

Deleted member

From the beginning, Samus was always meant to be visually appealing under her armor; it's just that now she is being portrayed as having combat skills out of her power suit as well, so we get to see her human "form" more often. Complaints about her physical appearance in Smash 4 being out-of-character are silly.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Explaining sexualization in video games is like trying to explain evolution to a creationist. One could write a 10 page paper and still get their whole argument dismissed because of one single sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom