• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why So Dead?

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
I know IC's isin't used as much, but the IC boards are so dead. I really wish people put more time into IC's as far as more active skype chats and videos. I've decided to use IC's fulltime in PM since they are untapped and have plenty potential.

Spot dodge desync to blizzard opens up alot of options especially grabs, and desyncing is a big reason why I plan to use IC's heavily. Lets bring some life onto the IC PM boards and mastermind on tools to use that can bring them up in sight, since many players sleep on our character.

Here's my skype as I would love to connect with others who feel the same: phresh123.

Smash Journeyman
The unfortunate reality is that very few people want to put time into the Ice Climbers because they are currently considered a non-functional character because of bugs that are supposed to be removed. That being said, maybe if we can get some activity and show that enough people actually care about this character, maybe the community and the Dev Team won't be able to ignore them in the future.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
even when the bugfix patch is out a lot of people see them as requiring simply too much work, while it's true it's kind of a dumb reason to not play them

Rugal Cuttah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-8390-5278
I know IC's isin't used as much, but the IC boards are so dead. I really wish people put more time into IC's as far as more active skype chats and videos. I've decided to use IC's fulltime in PM since they are untapped and have plenty potential.

Spot dodge desync to blizzard opens up alot of options especially grabs, and desyncing is a big reason why I plan to use IC's heavily. Lets bring some life onto the IC PM boards and mastermind on tools to use that can bring them up in sight, since many players sleep on our character.

Here's my skype as I would love to connect with others who feel the same: phresh123.
For me, they remind of how carl clover plays in blazblue. Have to work in unison to be very strong and losing a partner hinder them IC and carl clover greatly. I have melee, and Im will to find out IC s fun mechanics. Will play melee tonight as IC. The nendroid twins will not be forgotten.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
I also have melee on my flash drive i play through Dios Mios at times. IC's have bugs yeah but they also have potential. Desyncs are so much fun; i locked up a couple friends in friendlies with Ice block, blizzard desyncs.

I even caught some desync Spotdodge -> Nana charged downsmashes while having Popo runto the opponent.

Spotdodge desync to Popo F Smash is also something I've been captializing, creating great damage.

I recently been working on Dair chains desynced as well, hoping it can cause some type of DI confusion for the opponent. They have many tools but as stated many won't put the time in. However, i'm willing to put in the effort. Besides the D-throw Dair Regrab chaingrab, even without CG's they still have ALOT of tools (Desync wise) and Synced, that can emmense their level of gamplay.

As IC players we have to set the standard. I'm going to Nebulous this Sunday and plan on getting some recorded matches in and streamtime.

Smash Journeyman
That's great, if you can win a recorded set with ICs you'll be the first person to do so since 3.5 was released (unless someone else already did and I'm just not aware of it).

Last edited:

Turd

Smash Rookie
I just picked them up a couple weeks ago and did so so at one of our weeklies. I'm gonna keep on it and hopefully have some better stuff in the future. You can just watch the first couple friendlies and I think the 2nd match I lose to Saga if you look up the AZ project melee twitch of Cyber monday ....I'd post a link but the boards won't let me haha

azprojectmelee/b/631978231

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
That's great, if you can win a recorded set with ICs you'll be the first person to do so since 3.5 was released (unless someone else already did and I'm just not aware of it).
Not me, but we have one of the best PM Ice Climbers, Fumbles, in Ohio. Here are some sets of him beating some very high level players in our state.
vs Drephen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1T2qWy0nrY
vs Master WGS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjuekzJsig
vs Village Mascot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR28a_QElfs
I've picked up a pocket ICs pretty much solely because of watching this guy do cool ****.

Also here's me beating him in GF of the same tournament showcasing why Ivysaur is one of ICs worst matchups lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck7LtwlEp4U

Last edited by a moderator:

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Not me, but we have one of the best PM Ice Climbers, Fumbles, in Ohio. Here are some sets of him beating some very high level players in our state.
I've picked up a pocket ICs pretty much solely because of watching this guy do cool ****.

Also here's me beating him in GF of the same tournament showcasing why Ivysaur is one of ICs worst matchups lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck7LtwlEp4U
I've seen him play before. His ICs are super solid.

Smash Journeyman

Someone mentioned Fumbles in another thread, but nobody seemed to have any VODs of his games, so thanks a lot for this. He's definitely the best ICs player I've seen, except for possibly Chu Dat.

Also what happened at about 9:05 of his set against Drephen was pretty sad, @ Hylian Hylian please help!

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
using ICs mega hidden infinite chaingrab is amazing! So cool that you can do like 5 different infinities in this game and they require such precision. Even though people are too lazy too pick them up, once you do something amazing, you feel so proud.

cupofwater

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-9392-3814
These boards are so quite because any one with a desire to pick up IC's in general should logically just pick the Melee ones where they are much stronger and less buggy, and there is much more proof of success with them. Strong and flashy IC play will probably bring some motivation to try them out to anyone fringing on the edge of picking them up. Some of the new desyncs are very cool and useful and the new grab combos are just unexplored, but still amazing to watch.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Yo how is this infinite done?

http://instagram.com/p/xwQAQTquXs/

I've been trying it all day and asked the illustrator but I still can't seem to get it down. Has anyone practiced it?

If you can pull this off, teach me through skype: phresh123

Last edited:

cupofwater

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-9392-3814
Sorry im not using skype, but it looks like grab-> pummel -> d-throw and nana fullhop just before the character is slammed on the ground -> footstool -> regrab.

Nana's nair probably input by just pressing z to regrab with popo. I'm not positive the timing is always when the character is a few frames before being slammed into the ground as well, but it seemed to work when i tried. I would recommend setting x or y to footstool/taunt to make this easier, but it is definitely feasible without it.

If you're wondering why it is a full hop, Nana's full hop is never as high as Popo's when they are desynced because of the force of Nana's box.

This is overall pretty difficult and considering a bug patch is coming with guaranteed changes to ICs plus this is character specific (41 characters), it might not be worth learning just yet.

Smash Journeyman
It's also really hard to do consistently on characters that ain't Falco.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I will never understand why someone wants to learn that infinite before they can perfectly handoff every character in the roster.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Someone mentioned Fumbles in another thread, but nobody seemed to have any VODs of his games, so thanks a lot for this. He's definitely the best ICs player I've seen, except for possibly Chu Dat.

Also what happened at about 9:05 of his set against Drephen was pretty sad, @ Hylian Hylian please help!
Nothing to fix, nana dying was 100% fumbles fault and preventable.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
sometimes i go full on stupid and when i'm on ledge and non main climbers on stage i do the inputs for dsmash and sd like a pro @.@

Smash Journeyman
Nothing to fix, nana dying was 100% fumbles fault and preventable.
I know it isn't really a bug, but I don't see how Nana mimicking an input while being half the distance of FD away from Popo is a good thing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I know it isn't really a bug, but I don't see how Nana mimicking an input while being half the distance of FD away from Popo is a good thing.
The input was mimicked because she was still in hitstun. There are plenty of reasons it's a good thing, you have far more control over her and it's way easier to trick your opponent with things like that.

Smash Journeyman
The input was mimicked because she was still in hitstun. There are plenty of reasons it's a good thing, you have far more control over her and it's way easier to trick your opponent with things like that.
Can you explain how this works exactly? In the video Nana hits the ground, then does the input, so does that mean it buffers? Also what is the range that Nana will mimic an input due to being in hitstun?

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
they prolly just hit down to downsmash as they landed and that's when the other daired, it looked like it was about max range

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Uh..I can't really explain it heh. It's a brawl AI quirk, and something I've learned over years of playing the character in that game. Things like that just come with experience regarding her AI. Very rarely she does something that I just question or don't immediately recognize as my fault. In that particular scenario I don't think it buffered or anything, I just think it was in range when he hit dsmash. It's really hard for me to explain AI stuff :/.

SSS

Smash Ace
I just picked them up a couple weeks ago and did so so at one of our weeklies. I'm gonna keep on it and hopefully have some better stuff in the future. You can just watch the first couple friendlies and I think the 2nd match I lose to Saga if you look up the AZ project melee twitch of Cyber monday ....I'd post a link but the boards won't let me haha

azprojectmelee/b/631978231
How have you only posted 2 things since 2007.

The reason nobody plays this character?

1. The character is complicated and hard to use, with non-intuitive set-ups and follow-ups and weird mechanics, and it's daunting to try to learn a character like that when the game changes every goddamn 5 minutes.

2. Most of the best ICs mains from Brawl and Melee don't want to play them in Project M because they're significantly different and ICs are a character where playing them in one game can seriously impair your ability to play them in another (also Brawl ICs players are frauds, Melee ICs are only true ICs :^) )

3. The character is just weird and hard to develop. It took years for Melee players to get over "wtf there's 2 of them how do I even ice climbers".

4. The issue with Project M is that there are so many characters, and so the amount of people playing any given character is smaller than any other smash game. In Melee, there are only 26 characters (but let's be real there are only 8 characters), and in Brawl there are only like 35 characters (but let's be real there is only 1 character). So in Melee Fox has like 1/10th of players playing him and developing him, and in Brawl Meta Knight has like 99.999/100 players playing him and developing him, whereas in Project M any character only has around 1/41 players developing them. Also due to the reasons above, less are developing ICs. And since they're a character that take a lot of development to start with, it's going to be awhile until ICs are a real character. The MAIN ISSUE with Project M is that while it is definitely a very wide game, it is not a very deep game, because the community is spread so thin over all of the characters. If you get 10 people to dig a hole that's 10x10 feet, the hole is gonna be super deep. If you get 10 people to dig a hole that's 100x100 feet, the hole isn't going to be nearly as deep, even if just as much dirt is removed. You feel me?

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaaaaand, it's dead again :( I was really hoping to hear something about the bugfix in the latest PM blog post but unfortunately it wasn't mentioned. I really hope more people decide to pick up the character, because I don't have a lot of people to practice with, so most of my character knowledge is just copying other players :p

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Trying to maintain sympathy for PAL players and Olimar mains, etc., but I really, really want a version 3.501 or something with JUST their slide fixed. T_T

The Petalburg

Smash Rookie
It is kind of upsetting seeing the lack of ICies love on SmashBoards for PM. That's my main game and my main character.

But oh well.

Smash Journeyman
I actually made a fixed version myself, but it doesn't implement all of the changes from 3.5 unfortunately :(

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Here are some videos of me playing. I'm not very good (especially in the first video because I was going between Sm4sh and PM) and the second set is against a fairly inexperienced player, but maybe someone will find them useful/entertaining. I'm also open to advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyW0Rv-dicg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmkvWDENLU
Hey, I watched this earlier, and am planning on giving some critique later when I have time. Give me a couple days tho, cause I have two large exams later this week.

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
It is kind of upsetting seeing the lack of ICies love on SmashBoards for PM. That's my main game and my main character.

But oh well.
Practice, get out and do cool **** with this character, and create some video content for the boards. People just need to actually put work into this character and try to create something here instead of just wondering why there's no IC content. This character is hella underrated; I've witnessed it first hand by playing with Fumbles.

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
The power of a pocket Ice Climbers!

Recently I've been tapping my background with melee IC to counterpick certain characters to FD when my opponent doesn't ban it. This set, against one of our top Columbus players, has an example of this both succeeding and failing dramatically. @ 7:13 I counterpick IC for game 3, and I attempt to do the same in game 5, except on Smashville with markedly different results.

Papa :ivysaur::popo: vs. Master WGS :bowser2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqG3PT4jn7M

Top Bottom