• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why So Dead?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Shoutouts to whoever lost to my friends bowser in a tournament, got salty and the when my friend said he practiced with me told my friend that I sucked because I use squall too much(even though...I like 3/4 stock my friends bowser with IC's and they lost to him lol).

Salt is fun.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Sharkz! I have some more footage of my IC's on that channel losing to high level players. I also have tons of videos on this channel as well:

This is one match on the channel but I have plently more: http://youtu.be/gPXhii4KClE

This week I will be focusing on more desync squalls. Been in the lab working and found out some grab setups while doing so. I'll have more footage this Friday when I go back to my weekly.

Also, taking Hylians advice on the invincible ledge dash; I have been using this method already but didn't know the tech had a name.

Besides SH nair, what are other ways to approach with the climbers SYNCHED? If you guys see my footage, i'm mostly desynced all the time. Think it's time to mix things up.

Last edited:

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Besides SH nair, what are other ways to approach with the climbers SYNCHED? If you guys see my footage, i'm mostly desynced all the time. Think it's time to mix things up.
I know in Melee, a lot of IC's like to pressure with short hop auto cancel up airs. I really like well spaced short hop bairs, personally. Even synced blizzard can do around 35% if you catch them crouch canceling. I mostly just move back and forth with wavedashes and try to bait out a move from my opponent to punish with a grab.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I'm a big fan of wavejabbing for approaching synched. It's pretty hard to punish and when landed can give you grabs.

Smash Journeyman
I generally try to avoid approaching with wavedashes unless I have a blizzard or ice block going. The 10 frames of lag from a wavedash make approaching with one a bit unsafe. I could see wavedash > Jab catching someone off-guard occasionally, or using it to exploit an opponent with poor reaction time.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You are severely limiting yourself if you aren't approaching with wavedashes often. The 10 frames only matter if you wavedash literally right beside somebody lmao. IC's wavedash is one of their strongest neutral tools and should be used a lot.

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing toward an opponent isn't always bad, but I don't think it's a good idea to wavedash at someone in neutral unless you have a desync going. Most players will either move away, or throw out a move to hit you away. You can definitely catch people with an occasional wavedash > jab, or wavedash > grab, but I wouldn't rely too much on it. I could be a bit bias though, because most of my experience is playing against characters with strong disjoints, and it might be pretty solid against characters like Mario, whom ICs can actually out-range.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's very strong against almost any character. Obviously you shouldn't just wavedash at someone every time you want to approach them, but doing things like wd towards -> wd down right outside their range, and mixing in wd's with your dashdances etc is very very good for characters like luigi/IC's with their fast huge wavedashes.

Tushy

Smash Rookie
Well you all seem like a talented bunch of IC mains. Maybe you wouldn't mind taking a look at this?

http://smashboards.com/threads/odd-ic-techs.400365/

It's basically some things I found out while mucking about with the Ice Climbers on PM. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew about any of these "techs" already. Some of them seem like they could be useful if you could apply them in a match. Iunno...

Smash Journeyman
Well you all seem like a talented bunch of IC mains. Maybe you wouldn't mind taking a look at this?

http://smashboards.com/threads/odd-ic-techs.400365/

It's basically some things I found out while mucking about with the Ice Climbers on PM. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew about any of these "techs" already. Some of them seem like they could be useful if you could apply them in a match. Iunno...
There's some interesting stuff in here, but some of it like "Pivot Ledge-Snapping" only works because of a bug that's set to be removed with the next update. It's cool that you took the time to make that post, and maybe I'll experiment with the spawn platform thing. I'm not sure how useful it is, but if it's possible to stagger the invincibility of Popo and Nana it could have some interesting applications.

GanondorkMSK!

Smash Rookie
Some friends and I were talking about this the other day, it sucks that ice climbers have not been changed.

I think IC can be extremely good if tweaked a bit.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Err..what? They have been changed.

GanondorkMSK!

Smash Rookie
Well, yes haha but not as much as a good amount of the cast.
And maybe this is just me, but the desync is off.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Smash Journeyman
I would guess that he means the timing for some of the desyncs is different. I sometimes mess up and do empty rolls or spot-dodges when I'm trying to desync because I'm used to Melee where you can buffer the inputs sooner.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's easier to do in pm than melee, you have more frames and it's easier to buffer.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
I have been practicing ICs since the turn of 2015 (in preparation for 3.6 where I'll very likely be switching my main to ICs and having a backup Wario), and have learned quite a bit since. I am recently at an impasse though, when it comes to handoffs. I can get the grab with Nana, then back to Popo, but Nana often seems to lag behind and is too far away to get that secondary handoff. I know it's not necessarily going to be important every time (since if I walked them to the edge with chain grabs, once Popo grabs in the handoff, Nana could just F-smash for the kill) but I need to get it down for when they are at or lower than ~80%. Does anyone have any advice on how to get her close enough to grab again? When I move her forward I get a forward throw with Popo, and if I do it after the d-throw she goes too far. If it's just practice I need, then so be it, but I think there's something I'm missing; ICs are very intricate, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, the whole d-throw > footstool > regrab thing seems to be easier than I initially thought and I'm wondering why people don't use it. By I easier I mean I can actually do it, lol. I just never see anyone attempt it. That and wavebounced blizzards. I've been incorporating them into my desynch walls and it's crazy good once you get the hang of it.

Anyway, that was sort of longwinded. I love this character so much; I feel like there is an endless well of new things to learn, and the possible mixups are nearly infinite.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You BARELY need to move for handoffs. You have to slightly walk the other climber in the middle of the throw animation.

Here is me basically doing a 0-death handoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-l4zL-9BiA&t=10m4s

You'll notice how little I move in between each throw, and how close I am to the edge and still getting regrabs.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Cool. I just need to do it more I guess. Not surprising. This character takes a lot of knowledge and practice.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yes. I haven't practiced ledge hand-offs much, but I was actually the person to discover the first standing infinite with IC's in brawl, and I played brawl at a high level from 2008-2011, so I've done handoffs on the entire cast for countless hours in practice. It's different timing in PM, but you learn to adjust to throw weights having done it to some many different character for so long. I don't think there is an easy way to just get hand-offs, just takes a lot of practice.

Smash Journeyman
I've discovered a new grab combo similar to a handoff, which I call the Forward Pass:
Forward Pass may or may not have any practical applications.

Also, this:

Last edited:

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
I've discovered a new grab combo similar to a handoff, which I call the Forward Pass: . . .
Actually, this is just a long range hand off and it's only doable because of a glitch that is being taken out in 3.6. So basically, it's not worth practicing, but you'll at least keep your combo going if you happen to do it again on accident. This is done by holding up before Nana grabs midstage, or holding left/right when she's near the ledge.

Also, the second clip is why I love ICs, they are so stylish! Great job there bro.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Yes. I haven't practiced ledge hand-offs much, but I was actually the person to discover the first standing infinite with IC's in brawl, and I played brawl at a high level from 2008-2011, so I've done handoffs on the entire cast for countless hours in practice. It's different timing in PM, but you learn to adjust to throw weights having done it to some many different character for so long. I don't think there is an easy way to just get hand-offs, just takes a lot of practice.
I've been grinding away recently and neglecting Wario, and let me tell yah, something just clicked. Suddenly I can get 4-6 handoffs without issue on a majority of the cast. I find I need to "test" their weight the first time I do a grab, when I might miss the handoff, but after that I know I need to speed it up or slow it down. I feel like a good "Standard" is on Marth, who to me is one of the easiest to handoff. I wonder if I can get away with "testing" their weight during a button test, like if I do it slyly, pretending that I was "done" with the button test and just started fighting them. Hmmm...

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Was the second video a gltich for Nana to spike Falcon @ 941 941 ?

I've done this before but by accident. If this is legit just input then I would love to learn how it's done.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Actually, this is just a long range hand off and it's only doable because of a glitch that is being taken out in 3.6. So basically, it's not worth practicing, but you'll at least keep your combo going if you happen to do it again on accident. This is done by holding up before Nana grabs midstage, or holding left/right when she's near the ledge.

Also, the second clip is why I love ICs, they are so stylish! Great job there bro.
I was actually trying to use the glitch to do simple handoffs, but I messed up and improvised. The result is me trying to play it off as though I meant to do that.
Was the second video a gltich for Nana to spike Falcon @ 941 941 ?

I've done this before but by accident. If this is legit just input then I would love to learn how it's done.
Not really a glitch. I was able to hit Falcon with the F-air spike (the spike hitbox is at the hilt of the hammer) almost immediately after the D-throw. I've seen players do ledge handoffs into F-air spikes before, but usually they have to jump off the stage and try to react to the opponents DI. Since I had a grab where Falcon wasn't really on the stage, I was able to run off and F-air with Nana, while not giving Falcon a chance to DI away. I'm going to practice so I can do this more consistently when I get a grab near a ledge, as it seems to be the best way to land the spike on an opponent if you can get a grab close enough to ledge for handoffs.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The best way to land a spike is to just handoff to nana and jump out with popo. They can't DI out of it and it doesn't throw nana way below the stage.

Smash Journeyman
The best way to land a spike is to just handoff to nana and jump out with popo. They can't DI out of it and it doesn't throw nana way below the stage.
I suppose that's probably more forgiving if you mess it up. If you can secure the KO, running off the stage and spiking with Nana is just as effective, and I was able to save Nana, so there isn't much difference in that sense.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I suppose that's probably more forgiving if you mess it up. If you can secure the KO, running off the stage and spiking with Nana is just as effective, and I was able to save Nana, so there isn't much difference in that sense.
No, because running off the stage and spiking them allows them to tech if they DI in and there is a wall. You can jump out with popo so that they can't reach anything to tech.

Edit: I've tested both methods a lot.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Good point. I didn't really consider someone being able to tech the F-air. I guess I'll reserve run-off F-airs for when I don't have enough space for handoffs, or I'm playing against a character like Puff that I probably wouldn't be able to do handoffs with.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There is always enough space for handoffs, even if you grab at the very ledge.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Ever since I looked at the tier lists, I never played with the Ice Climbers. I really need to try them out now.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Ever since I looked at the tier lists, I never played with the Ice Climbers. I really need to try them out now.
Yeah honestly, tier lists are all over the place in this game, and the meta is so underdeveloped that no one can say anything yet. Play who's cool to you, play who you do well with.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
I've discovered a new grab combo similar to a handoff, which I call the Forward Pass:

Also, this:
how did you let the video show in the comments? I have some cool friendlies/tourney matches of me chaingrabbing/desync stuff that I want to post and show you guys.

Smash Journeyman
how did you let the video show in the comments? I have some cool friendlies/tourney matches of me chaingrabbing/desync stuff that I want to post and show you guys.
There is a tab with a button for Smilies, Images, and Media when making a post. Click the "Media" button and copy the URL of your video.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Check me out. Some Gfycats from recent tournaments and sessions. Been getting WAY better with my grabs. :popo:

Peach
Zard
Fox
Link

In Place CG

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Your opponents should learn how to mash :p.

Top Bottom