• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why shield grab

soresu

Smash Rookie
Why shield grab anymore when you can side-b out of shield? The range of the side-b is larger than grab range, and pretty much any side-b combo will do more damage than the throw. Also, side-b while holding up is basically a better version of marth's up throw.

Side-b out of shield must be slower than shield grab, but most (all?) attacks have long enough lag that they will still be punished by side-b.

What's the frame difference between side-b out of shield and shield grab?

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
It'd be about the same amount of frames. Side B is 4 frames and grab is 6, but I'm not sure how many frames it takes to take down your shield before using a move.

I personally use grab when I can't up smash out of the shield (or when their percent is too low to up B). I dunno, I just don't like side B that much; it has a large potential to be countered since players can attack you back between the hits in brawl. Grab to up throw seems better IMO.

∫unk

Smash Master
It's not guaranteed that you'll poke through the opponents shield with a side b combo (and end up getting shield-grabbed). You'll always grab through a shield.

That said, in many situations its better to go for the side b.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Shieldgrabbing influences direction better than Dancing Blade. If near the edge, I can throw someone off the edge and edgeguard well, et cetera. You can abuse direction to push your opponent where you want them to go. You have some options in Dancing Blade, but not near as much.

RoalbeZ

Smash Cadet
well if you incorporate it into your game play it might get predictable, grabbing also mixes things up and gives you the liberty to choose where you want your opponent.

my two cents.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Side B is indeed better for racking damage, but of course grabs have that whole "I can grab you even if you're attacking" quality that makes grabs better for breaking out of shield pressure situations. They come out in about the same speed, so really it just depends on what situation you're in.

Personally I like up B out of shield because it's sexy.

Torn

Smash Cadet
Well, as someone mentioned earlier, fighting against Lucas or Ness means this thread's name becomes "why side+b out of shield." Marth can infinitely grab and release Ness and Lucas (it's pretty easy, try it against a level 9) until the PK user in question takes enough damage that they will No Contest the game.

That said, why do anything? Why doesn't Marth abuse his quickest, most effective move (what is it? hurhurhur) until three stocks later? The answer, of course is you don't ever want to become predictable or readable. When your opponent can tell what you are going to do, they have an advantage over you that no amount of Side+Bing will ever fix.

Try to mix up what happens when Marth hides in his shield. Like Sonic Wave mentioned, Up+B out of shield is instant death if the opponent sucks and is 140%. Shieldgrabbing trumps the opponent's shield and makes you become less predictable. That said, yes, Side+B combo out of shield is a very effective tactic and should be used in concert with these other options.

Also, damage degradation.

Torn

Top Bottom