• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHY Roy is better than Marth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
Disclaimer: I did not write this. Any material in this thread i take no credit for.
(But i did edit a few parts to have it make more sense.)

For all you "marth over roy lovers" you're...EXTREMELY wrong.
Roy, is actually the better of the two. Marth is fast, sure, but everything else is on a downside. He's easier to smack across the screen.
Bowser: "MOVE IT BISH"

Marth: "x.x"

And Roy isn't however, and he is much more powerful.

Marth may be fast a swinging his blade, but their not very powerful. Link and Roy have more damage in their blades, at least TWO of his hits equals ONE of theirs.
Y'know that yellow part in his blade, in the middle? THAT'S his strong point, I don't see how you got "blade" and "hilt" confused in the trophy discription. Also, his Up+B recovery isn't any different from marth besides the fact it has more force behind it. Also, "Teh fire" has nothing to do with it, in fact, you fail on that part. (Especially, that part) Encase you don't know, there's "clash" in this game. If a skilled player using roy is fighting a skilled marth, there's a disadvantage for the marth, period. This is because Since Roy is such a powerhouse he can charge at marth, and if you "clash" Roy will win, because roys blade is actually more power than marth's at close range. Also, A skilled Roy player can easily get "into the fray" to commit ownage, usually if someone is good at combos with a character (Like me with roy) Usually people like marth are screwed because of their defense.
Also, considering it's a vid game, there is no "strategic point" cause if you focus on the tip of the blade too much, you fail. Also, most of the characters have a range as big as marth and roys, so you can't necessarily get out of their range without getting out of range for your own blade. Marth is only good if you can dodge, if you can't dodge, then he's pwned. Roy's betters because he doesn't need to dodge, and if you can use him correctly you can own any marth fanboy....or someone who's good at marth.
Not to mention you said marth was SLIGHTLY faster than roy.
You see, if you have all power houses vs. marth, you're screwed. Roy is a character that can fight any type, fast, slow, medium. If marth is fighting chars like (Ganondorf, Bowser, DK) He won't really be good.
Roy has more of a chance because his attacks are stronger.

So...thoughts?

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
This is a tier list http://smashwiki.com/wiki/Tier_list.
Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Clearly Marth is much higher than Roy on the tier list, hence he is a better character.

demonman153

Smash Rookie
I won't criticize you because it was not you who wrote that. However:

Quote: "Also, his Up+B recovery isn't any different from marth besides the fact it has more force behind it"
Response: Ever try reverse dolphin slashing? Try it then tell me what has more force.

Quote: "If a skilled player using roy is fighting a skilled marth, there's a disadvantage for the marth, period."
Response: Yeah. Your right on this point. If the Marth player is high. Otherwise, the tier list actually reads from top to bottem not bottem to top.

Quote: "Encase you don't know, there's "clash" in this game."
Response: Roy's neutral A attack versus Marth's forward smash. Learn about priority before you post again.

Quote: "Also, considering it's a vid game, there is no "strategic point" cause if you focus on the tip of the blade too much, you fail."
Response: Do I really need to say much here folks?

Quote: "Roy is a character that can fight any type, fast, slow, medium."
Response: MM my Falco. Please.

xelad1

Smash Ace
I hope Dsamoan posted this for us all to laugh at. I don't think there is any point for any of us to rebut what's in this since its been explained for probably over 6 years now.... though roy does have T3H PH1R3!!!

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
I hope Dsamoan posted this for us all to laugh at. I don't think there is any point for any of us to rebut what's in this since its been explained for probably over 6 years now.... though roy does have T3H PH1R3!!!
Basically. I got a real kick out of it, so figured id share the wealth. If this guy posts anything else ill be sure to let you all know. :)

greenpika

Smash Cadet
maaaaaannn... i so want to meet the guy who wrote this... he must never have tried playing as marth. roy is so slow that marth would obliterate roy with his aerials and slashes before roy could realize that the game started. personally, i also think the tip of the blade is a better place than the center, because you can keep our distance. roy actually has to rack up damage for a kill, while marths just knock the opponents off the stage and edge guard or spikes. i dont remember roy having a spike. we should put this on the roy page and see how they react...

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
maaaaaannn... i so want to meet the guy who wrote this... he must never have tried playing as marth. roy is so slow that marth would obliterate roy with his aerials and slashes before roy could realize that the game started. personally, i also think the tip of the blade is a better place than the center, because you can keep our distance. roy actually has to rack up damage for a kill, while marths just knock the opponents off the stage and edge guard or spikes. i dont remember roy having a spike. we should put this on the roy page and see how they react...
http://smashwiki.com/wiki/Spike

Although it doesn't appear to be very practical it looks as though Roy does indeed have a spike.

Kips

Smash Ace
Marths spike IS easier. Roys requires them to almost be level or above you, perfect spike range for THEM. Roy simply isn't as good as Marth because of the difference in sweetspot and because TEH PHIRE will never defeat TEH TIARA.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
"If marth is fighting chars like (Ganondorf, Bowser, DK) He won't really be good." Thats a funny enough joke. Thats like saying 'Darth Vader <cripples, fat chicks, and christopher reeves.' I wanna play this *******, something tells me hes not even good with the almighty ROY!!!! go to hell.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I think this argument can be summed up by looking at NEO at his best:

He's the best Roy in the world; been Ken in dittos to take the title. However, in major tournaments with victory on the line, he goes Marth even though he likes playing Roy better. Why? Because he admits that Marth is an overall better character that just fairs better in competitive play. And if anyone knows the limits of Roy, it's NEO.

Gnes

Smash Master

He's the best Roy in the world; been Ken in dittos to take the title. However, in major tournaments with victory on the line, he goes Marth even though he likes playing Roy better. Why? Because he admits that Marth is an overall better character that just fairs better in competitive play. And if anyone knows the limits of Roy, it's NEO.

Game....Set....Match...
Seriously though, who was the guy that wrote this blasphemy?

Kips

Smash Ace
"If marth is fighting chars like (Ganondorf, Bowser, DK) He won't really be good." Thats a funny enough joke. Thats like saying 'Darth Vader <cripples, fat chicks, and christopher reeves.' I wanna play this *******, something tells me hes not even good with the almighty ROY!!!! go to hell.
I think it's because Roys PHIRE!1!!! would burn their fat for a long time.

lss_ryu

Smash Rookie
id say marth is better because of this kids original statement of "sure marth is faster" my friend plays roy and I always hit him before he hits me so that for every 1 time he hits me i hit him about 10 times...+ I do not think this counts for roy marth doesnt hit well for you because if you play roy then you are used to hitting your enemies while the are closer while marth's acuality is that for him glancing blows are stronger than average blows.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
not to mention, how easy is it for someone to gimp roy? I mean, when he's off the edge it's like a free stock.
i play roy also and it sux when my friend picks Doc.

soooo many bairs....AHHHHH!

mad_max

Smash Cadet
Dude, just go home. We hear this argument all the time. And it always gets smacked down. I don't even have anything to say. The thirty people that posted before me have already said it. I can't even say anything about the tiara; kips took that.

See, right here would be a good place to say "Roy fails" but somebody ALREADY SAID IT. Because EVERYBODY KNOWS that Marth is better than Roy.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296

AND AND AND:

NEO says his Roy > his Marth, yet he still chooses to go Marth, further solidifying the fact that Marth is superior.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
http://smashwiki.com/wiki/Spike

Although it doesn't appear to be very practical it looks as though Roy does indeed have a spike.
Marths spike IS easier. Roys requires them to almost be level or above you, perfect spike range for THEM. Roy simply isn't as good as Marth because of the difference in sweetspot and because TEH PHIRE will never defeat TEH TIARA.
Just to let you guys know, Roy doesn't actually have any spikes. What he does have is three meteor smashes

1.DED third hit up
2.Dair when hit with the hilt of the sword
3.First hit of up smash (which pulls opponent into the rest of the attack.)

4 Aces

Smash Ace
What he does have is three meteor smashes

Roy burns again. (It's cuz of Teh Ph1re!)
Lol, if this guy ever joins Smashboards, lets flame him.
And I second the idea of posting this on the Roy boards. So...any scapegoats who want to volunteer? :laugh:

chaotic002

Smash Apprentice
whhhhaaaat the heck that is hilarious i mean that seriously is like saying bowser can pwn falco because bowser has a good f air lol

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
This thread makes me lol.

Just to clear up some common misconceptions about Marth/Roy:
1)Marth is actually heavier than Roy, Roy is just a faster faller and Marth is just floaty.
2)Marth is actually stronger than Roy as his tipper deals more damage/knockback than Roy's sweetspot.
3)Roy can be faster than Marth. His running speed isn't quite as fast, but his SHFFL speed is significantly faster than Marths.

Also, Roy's Usmash is a spike >.>

IStoleYurKitten

Smash Rookie
Marth boards members, give me your power!

HAAADOOOOKKEENNNN!
well if you play Fire Emblem then you know why. Roy gets the better sword. But Marth is still cooler since he is faster. In SSBM They basicly make player matchups. For exp.:

Marth to Roy, Link to Young Link, Pikachu to Pichu, Ganondorf to Capt. Falcon. Fox to Falco etc. Link is slow but powerful. Young Link is quick but weak. It all evens out. I still like marth better since I just am naturally better. too sum it all up. MARTH IS THE BEST TIER

IStoleYurKitten

Smash Rookie
Dude, just go home. We hear this argument all the time. And it always gets smacked down. I don't even have anything to say. The thirty people that posted before me have already said it. I can't even say anything about the tiara; kips took that.

See, right here would be a good place to say "Roy fails" but somebody ALREADY SAID IT. Because EVERYBODY KNOWS that Marth is better than Roy.
Yes thank you!!!!

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
no pink I meant why is this topic on the marth boards

I know your marth is awesome twice as good as mine but not as good as my ganon
Yeah, this does seem like the kind of spam that would be in the Roy boards, but he phails so hard that no one is on his board anymore I guess >.>

Also, fun fact, Im actually playing both of those Marths. But Im so awesome that no one can give me a challenge so I also played the Y.Link.

greenpika

Smash Cadet
crud. nvr mind, i still havent found it. srry, mdm, didnt mean to insult you, i thought you started that post.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
crud. nvr mind, i still havent found it. srry, mdm, didnt mean to insult you, i thought you started that post.
It was actually from another forum i frequently visit, so you wont find it here. There are some pretty questionable people here on the boards, but no one like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom