• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Pikachu?

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Why put Pikachu in over all the other pokemon? what makes Pikachu better than Slugma? or Hitmonchan?
Pikachu's popularity comes all from the anime, and while this dances around Sakurai's strict "No Anime orginating characters allowed" policy, the only reason Pikachu makes it in,ironically, is the anime.

TOPIC

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
Well.. pikachu is also the Starter in Pokemon Yellow, but I guess Pokemon Yellow ALSO comes from the anime (sortof).
I think they just want to put pokemon that appeal to the majority of people. Com on, he's cute =P and cool. Pichu IS NOT.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Hey, Munchlax, Vulpix, and Teddiursa, despite my manhood, are ADORABLE! yet none of them, with the exception of Munchlax, are even mentioned in smash. EDIT: Pokemon yellow IS the Anime, as good as they could make it. Pikachu interacts with you, and theres more things from the anime than in red and blue.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Well, in my perspective, he put Pikachu in Super Smash Bros. 64 because well, that "No Anime" rule wasn't around when he first made the game. I think that's why he put JigglyPuff as well.

Pikachu, since then, has been able to make it to be the face of Pokemon and that's why he's maintained his spot on the SSB roster.

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
There are tons of anime characters that would be great for Brawl... the No anime rule sucks.
How is munchlax cute? Because of his personality? It looks so fat and triangular (is that even possible?) and ugly :S

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Why put Pikachu in over all the other pokemon? what makes Pikachu better than Slugma? or Hitmonchan?
Pikachu's popularity comes all from the anime, and while this dances around Sakurai's strict "No Anime orginating characters allowed" policy, the only reason Pikachu makes it in,ironically, is the anime.

TOPIC
What you don't seem to understand is that Pikachu was chosen to be the premier pokemon in the anime because of it's popularity within pokemon Red, Blue, and Green versions. Because Pikachu was popular within it's games that is why it was chosen to become the main protagonist's main pokemon of choice.

If you have a problem with Pikachu being the most popular pokemon in the world and the mascot of the 2nd best selling franchise in the world, then perhaps you could get people to rally to your cause to have another pokemon rise up and become as popular as Pikachu.

-Knight

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
Why would people like that yellow sparky rat more than Charmander, Squirtle, or Bulbasur? Pikachu in Red/BLue was so unimportant (as not to say USELESS before evolving it to Raichu)...

OffT: I wonder if Pikachu will ever evolve with a Thndrston in the anime... one can dream, right?

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Because Its a popular pokemon. game and Anime.

He may have been originaly popular in the anime. but to give him a lead role like that he must have been a favorite among the creators. that and hes in everey single smash game. kicking him out is like kicking mario out. Link was in an anime. (sorta...) that didnt affect his chances in any smash game too much.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
I had no idea that pikachu was actually well liked in the games, really you catch him in like two places, and I always killed them. .... plus the fact there are much much better pokemon besides pikachu, with the bad stats he and Raichu (kind of , but pikachu's stats are horrible) have

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Because Its a popular pokemon. game and Anime.

He may have been originaly popular in the anime. but to give him a lead role like that he must have been a favorite among the creators. that and hes in everey single smash game. kicking him out is like kicking mario out. Link was in an anime. (sorta...) that didnt affect his chances in any smash game too much.
don't ever use link's show. EVER. Link's show was cancelled, and now pokemon has bad spin-offs everywhere. if all 7 to 12 year olds died, pokemon would be cancelled. they like that because it's new and exciting. EDIT: sorry for double post.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Why would people like that yellow sparky rat more than Charmander, Squirtle, or Bulbasur? Pikachu in Red/BLue was so unimportant (as not to say USELESS before evolving it to Raichu)...

OffT: I wonder if Pikachu will ever evolve with a Thndrston in the anime... one can dream, right?
Why would people not like Pikachu more than Charmander, Squirtle, or Bulbasaur? Pikachu is a really cute pokemon and the Japanese seem to like very cute things. Oh well it's a very subjective matter, however the fact still remains that Pikachu is the most popular pokemon in the world.

I had no idea that pikachu was actually well liked in the games, really you catch him in like two places, and I always killed them. .... plus the fact there are much much better pokemon besides pikachu, with the bad stats he and Raichu (kind of , but pikachu's stats are horrible) have
Yes, it is very well liked in the games. I cannot speak for the Japanese populace but they seem to prefer cute pokemon over super strong ones.

-Knight

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Iunno. People are like that. Why do so many people like Lucario? Or Meta Knight? Or Geno? Or Magus?
Besides, it was Japan's decision to like it. They pushed it on us with the show and merchandise. Had they not done that, and America was allowed to decide on their favorite Pokémon, we probably would have chosen something like Charizard, Scyther, or Mewtwo, and they'd have gotten into SSB64 instead of Jigglypuff. Who knows?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think you're misinterpreting the "no anime" rule a little. That rule only exists to keep Naruto and other useless anime characters out of Brawl. No matter how you slice it, Pikachu was a video game character first. He got his icon status from the anime, sure, but what else could a pokemon representative have been based on? By the time the first SSB came out, there were 151 pokemon. How was Sakurai supposed to figure out which pokemon to put in if he didn't use the anime? No matter what, the character(s) he chose would be given special treatment. It makes the most sense to pick the pokemon that has now become the face of the franchise.

Think of it like this. With this thread, you're asking "Why Pikachu?"
If any other pokemon were in Smash in his place, people would be asking "Why Mankey and not Pikachu?" or "Why Khangaskhan and not Pikachu?" or "Why Staryu and not Pikachu?"

Pikachu is the mascot, therefor he best represents the fanchise.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
i dont want to bring up the popularity card, but he's just as recognizable as Mario or Sonic is. he's cute cuddly and appeals to everybody. sure, there are more "hardcore" pokemon to choose from, that's why im pulling for Lucario. but Pikachu is cool, haters can whine all they want, but he's been around forever, so yeah

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
DO NOT DISS THE JIGGZ!!! He/She/It is an acception because you can't tell what gender it is, ok? Glad to know you understand.... *WoP's you*
I wasn't dissin' nobody, gee.

I was just confused how you could hate pokemon and support Jigglyfpuff at the same time. And still am, actually.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Yeah, besides, Pikachu has made appearances in several Nintendo titles and even starred in that one with the microphone.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu is the mascot and the representative of the entire Pokemon franchise. He's been the focus of Pokemon Yellow, Hey You Pikachu! and he's also catchable in every Pokemon game ever. There's been N64 and Gameboys themed after Pikachu, etc, etc...

The fact that the anime was what gave him (?) most of its popularity doesn't mean he's only important there. Remember, the games came before anything and have made much more profit than that silly show.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't red and blue versions come out before the show did? If this is so, then how did they choose Pikachu? You see the first three main Pokemon in red and blue (Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle), so why not choose one of those three for the show and the "main" character itself? Bulbasaur was #1 in the Pokedex, Charmander was #4, and Squirtle #7. Where is Pikachu? #25. So it's pretty much like they picked one random Pokemon out of 150, and came out with Pikachu.

One other thing, once again, correct me if I'm wrong, was Pikachu the first Pokemon they came up with, or is it just like the Pokedex suggests, and Bulbasaur was the first and so on through 150?

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Okay, this is the interesting thing about the Japanese, that's backstory. I don't think Pikachu was the first ever poke'mon they discovered (or created), I'm sure they found a bunch at once and started to study and take them in. Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur are all starter poke'mon because they're strong enough and also probably one of the easies poke'mon to master. Pikachu on the other hand is a stubborn poke'mon that isn't easy to master, and doesn't evolve on it's own like the other three. A trainer could keep a pikachu if it wanted and never have it evolve. (what Ash does in the anime) Seeing as how I'm a writer and all, sometimes what you want to be popular doesn't end up being the favorite. Other times, it's just the way it turns out because of the story itself. While the starter Poke'mon are cool, they aren't the coolest. So naturally the attenton wll be given to whoever appeals the most. I personally like Snorlax because along with my Starter Poke'mon he was a monsterin battle. I could take on the big 4 with my Snorlax alone. Yes, the anime had something to do with popularity, it played a part but because Poke'mon started off as a game first.
The "No anime" rule doesn't apply to Poke'mon and others, Sonic had anime, but started as a game. Same goes for Mario. There was an FZero anime, and yes, C. Falcon was in it. I won't bring up the Zelda anime....*shudders*. Fire Emblem, that anime followed Marth. Mewtwo was in the anime, as well as Jiggs. I'm sure Jiggs made it in popularity probably because of the anime....same as Mewtwo. ('cuz they weren't much use to me in the game. That's jut me though.)

I dunno, that' how I see the situation. Take it as you will. *nods* If I happen to have offended anyone, I apologize.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said no characters originating from the anime were allowed, he never
said that any characters who got there popularity from the anime weren't allowed...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dude, chill, im joking around. Jiggz doesn't count cause he/she/it is a whoop@$$ characters.
Haha, why are you telling me to chill? Did you not notice that the first half of my post was a total joke? I was talking like a gangsta and playing off the fact that "gee" was in your name.

. . . I don't know, I thought it was funny.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Cause Pikachu was GOD tier in the original. True fact.

Pika is my former main now, Sonic's the future for me =D
so true about him in the original. The only thing he lacked was a spike. You should have seen Kirby and C. Falcon in the Japanese version though O_O. both better, but STILL not as good as Pika. I mean...they increased Falcon's jump by a whole half of length. insane.

Sakurai said no characters originating from the anime were allowed, he never
said that any characters who got there popularity from the anime weren't allowed...
Also true, lol.

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
but Pikachu is cool, haters can whine all they want, but he's been around forever, so yeah
Maybe I am just really old, but will someone else show up and tell me that Pikachu and pokemon have NOT been around for THAT long? That they are actually pretty recent and that at the time N64's graphics were incredible. **** it, I am old.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Maybe I am just really old, but will someone else show up and tell me that Pikachu and pokemon have NOT been around for THAT long? That they are actually pretty recent and that at the time N64's graphics were incredible. **** it, I am old.
I first heard of pokemon back in elementary school. 3rd grade or earlier. I'm now in grade 12.

And yeah, at one point in time, N64's graphics were incredible (I was SHOCKED out of my mind when I saw what Melee looked like. I thought I was looking into the future).

. . . ****, I'm old too.

Rakath

Smash Ace
People keep putting the cart before the horse on Pikachu's popularity.

He was star of the Anime because he attracted more female audience when they were deciding who to make the main Pokemon for the Anime. Pikachu isn't popular by the Anime, Pikachu was in the anime because it was popular. He's in all 3 Mangas, the anime, a game to himself, the other games, a digital pet, and is just generally the face of Pokemon. Wanting him gone is silly.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
So basically Pikachu is the mascot of Pokemon...end of story.
Yesh, lol, you are correct.

I first heard of pokemon back in elementary school. 3rd grade or earlier. I'm now in grade 12.

And yeah, at one point in time, N64's graphics were incredible (I was SHOCKED out of my mind when I saw what Melee looked like. I thought I was looking into the future).

. . . ****, I'm old too.
Alright....stop it, but you're making ME feel old too. Poke'mon came out over 10 years ago my friends. Heck, I was 13 when they first started showing it...and that was before WB had the rights to it. (Yes, before Cartoon Network for the younger people) It started on UPN...like many cartoons and anime, then moved to a more popular station that wasn't going to show it in the morning right before or after kids went to school. Anyway....I was made fun of for liking it...but screw them, xD. (Even still I had NO idea what an anime was until a year later.) But I digress, I've watched Poke'mon right up until they got rid of May....that pretty much signified when I lost television. Which was right before I went to Japan. I'm 23 now. In America it's been around for 10 years....so I can only imagine how long it's been in Japan. I think maybe 13.

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
Either way saying that it has been around forever is ignoring that it is still a newbie compared to charecters from the Mario, Zelda, IC's, DK, Starfox, Kirby, G&W, Fire Emblem and Earthbound series. I think that is right I don't really want to look up the date, but I am pretty sure all of those were out by SNES, (with exceptions of incarnations like Sheik and Y. Link.) Either way, that actual point of my first post was I am pretty sure the Pokemon are basically the new series in the Smash series, so saying they have been around forever is not really an excuse.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Each smash bros. has at least one recently started series. Take Brawl for example, it has Wario. Sure he has actually been around for more then 10 years, but his costume and probably his moveset is based on the recent WarioWare. Sakauri probably made Pikachu God tier to make Pokemon look good. I think it was the Smash Bros. game that made me like Pikachu rather then the Anime.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
Well the anime kind of gives him more popularity than all the other characters, duh.

They are adding a lot more pokemon this time around anyway with the Poke Trainer. And I'll bet we get a few more besides those that are announced yet.

I for one love to use hims, so I'm glad he's still in the game.

Just don't bring back Pichu. Waste of space.

Top Bottom