• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Pikachu?

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
Hey, Munchlax, Vulpix, and Teddiursa, despite my manhood, are ADORABLE! yet none of them, with the exception of Munchlax, are even mentioned in smash. EDIT: Pokemon yellow IS the Anime, as good as they could make it. Pikachu interacts with you, and theres more things from the anime than in red and blue.
That would be because Smash Bros. does not entirely revolve around pokemon. Munchlax is mentioned because he is a promotional pokemon whom I think had a movie about him.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
No hands, no hands, no hands, NO HANDS
You know, technically speaking, Pikachu doesn't really have hands either. He holds items in his mouth, and he never punches at all. The only hand-related thing he really uses his forelegs for is grabbing.

Plus. . . Ivysaur. I mean yeah, he's got vines. But still.

Not saying any of the above were good choices, just saying the "no hands" thing is kind of bunk nowadays.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'd consider a mouse's forelimbs hands.
Sure. But he doesn't use them as hands. Not like the other characters do.

"No hands!" implies "Can't punch!"

My point was that a character doesn't need to punch. We have examples of characters who use hands very minimally (Pikachu, Pichu) and now an example of a character who doesn't even have arms/hands at all (Ivysaur).

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet

My point was that a character doesn't need to punch. We have examples of characters who use hands very minimally (Pikachu, Pichu) and now an example of a character who doesn't even have arms/hands at all (Ivysaur).
"Woot woot" go 4 legged Characters! -(I really hope they add Twilight Link)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I don't think I understood your question. I thought you were asking why Pika shouldn't have been the face of Pokémon, to which a list of my favorite 1st gen Pokémon would be a reasonable, yet extremely biased, answer.
Sinse Pika is the face of Pokémon, it's obligatory that he's included, though Mewtwo should have gotten in over Jiggly in the original.
Oooooh, that makes more sense now. I see what you mean about Mewtwo, as well, though I think Jiggly made the cut based on Japan's unnatural love for round fluffy, singing pokemon. My guess is that we'll see both of them come back, anyhow.

Anyhow, all of this "no hands" stuff makes me want to lobby for Electrode. Not because it has anything to do with what's being said, just because he has no hands. Or feet. Or torsoe.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
Oooooh, that makes more sense now. I see what you mean about Mewtwo, as well, though I think Jiggly made the cut based on Japan's unnatural love for round fluffy, singing pokemon. My guess is that we'll see both of them come back, anyhow.

Anyhow, all of this "no hands" stuff makes me want to lobby for Electrode. Not because it has anything to do with what's being said, just because he has no hands. Or feet. Or torsoe.

lol, Electrode is one of the worst pokemon in my opinion. He may be strong in various Pokemon games but OMG whoever made the concept of him needs some new ideas.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
........would all be horrible Characters, for the exception of Mewtwo.
Dude. First off, you need to read my interpretation of the question. Second off, they would all be awesome anythings.

I see what you mean about Mewtwo, as well, though I think Jiggly made the cut based on Japan's unnatural love for round fluffy, singing pokemon.
Yeah, and that's really annoying. Pikachu is the face of Pokémon because the Japanese liked it. The only reason it's popular here is because they just ported over all the merchandise from Japan and shoved Pika down our throat. "THIS is you're favorite Pokémon and YOU WILL LIKE IT."
I don't know about you, but in my city, the general consensus was that scyther was the coolest Pokémon (I never liked him too much, he just seemed like a ripoff of the almighty kabutops), followed by Mewtwo, who actually has hands (which he doesn't use, but whatever) so there'd be no (and was no) debate over his characterability.
So, my argument is that they should have put Pika in for Japan, and Mewtwo for Americans. It's much better than getting TWO Japanese-popular Pokémon, one of which isn't liked much at all in America (despite the propaganda).

Sandbag 4 playable character!

oh yea, an oozing Magma slug with flaming eye brows. How adorable.
Yeah, it totally is. Aren't you shmuppy-wumpy-pup?

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
Dude. First off, you need to read my interpretation of the question. Second off, they would all be awesome anythings.
Interpretation of what? You answered a question pertaining to who should be the Mascot of pokemon. Although the true question was "Why Not Pikachu?", anyone with sense would realize the insinuation of the question which is "Why should anyone other than Pikachu represent Pokemon?". Your answer was rattata, kabutops, jolteon, zapdos, and Mewtwo. So let me rephrase what I said to you. They would be horrible characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the exception of Mewtwo, and just because you favor them doesn't justify the fact that they are good characters. But hey, it's your opinion.

Yeah, it totally is. Aren't you shmuppy-wumpy-pup?
You forgot I was being Sarcastic............. It's not a cute pokemon

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
just because you favor them doesn't justify the fact that they are good characters. But hey, it's your opinion.
That was basically the point of my post. I'm just saying I like them, therefore I would've liked it if one of them was the mascot.

But anyways, we're kinda getting off topic. I suppose it's your turn: Which would you have liked to have been the mascot? (IE, What's your favorite 1st gen Pokémon?)

Rakath

Smash Ace

When I said 'no hands' I meant 'no dexterous limbs to Grab people or items'. Pikachu may CARRY items in his mouth, but he uses them with his hands (at least in melee, dunno about Brawl yet).

Also, Pikachu CAN Punch, just in Smash he doesn't. Pikachu learns Mega Punch, Thunder Punch, and Focus Punch between the various eras of Pokemon. Pikachu also uses his hands for grabs.

Ivysaur is the oddity in that it has no hands, but does have its vines for dexterous moves. And Mewtwo has hands but doesn't use them to show off his cool.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
When I said 'no hands' I meant 'no dexterous limbs to Grab people or items'. Pikachu may CARRY items in his mouth, but he uses them with his hands (at least in melee, dunno about Brawl yet).
Which items? I'm mentally flipping through them and I don't see Pikachu using his hands much. He swings the beam sword by turning his head (sword in mouth). He uses the Fire Flower with his mouth (though he does use one hand to position it a bit). He fires the super scope by humping it into submission (I guess he's technically using his hands to keep it steady, like the fire flower, but still. I doubt he works the gun the way he does for his own personal reasons).

However, how Pikachu handles things like the cracker launcher is another story. I'd like to see how he does that. Resting it on his back perhaps? If anyone's got screens or video of this, help me out.

Also, Pikachu CAN Punch, just in Smash he doesn't. Pikachu learns Mega Punch, Thunder Punch, and Focus Punch between the various eras of Pokemon. Pikachu also uses his hands for grabs.
This is true, but since he doesn't punch in Smash (as far as I know, he still doesn't in Brawl. But I suppose that's still open to change), I don't see how that's relevant. The point is just that Pikachu, though he does have hands and is technically capable of using them, does not use them conventionally. In smash, he does not punch, he does not throw (he grabs, yes), and he does not wield a weapon with his hands. He essentially just grabs people and positions weaponry.

Oh, and he waves at the camera. Which is awfully cute.

Anyway, because of this, many other characters who don't have "hands" at all, can employ the tactics Pikachu uses. Pokemon like ratatta, Jolteon, etc. can use their mouths (. . . muzzles?) the way Pikachu does and resort to head-butting and tackling the way Pikachu does. The only wrinkle to iron out would really be grabbing people, which could be solved through creative means of pinning people to the ground, I'm sure.

Ivysaur is the oddity in that it has no hands, but does have its vines for dexterous moves.
Lucky Ivysaur gets more options.

And Mewtwo has hands but doesn't use them to show off his cool.
I don't blame him. If I had that much cool, I wouldn't soil my hands on the likes of Mario or his friends either. Who knows the last time he even washed what he's wearing?

Final thought: The only area I can truly see a lack of hands being a problem is in the event that a hammer is present and ready to be used. Thinking back on it, I'm sure Pikachu probably uses his hands for this one (I'd check, but I'm far too lazy and far too impatient to post this) so I don't rightly know how ratatta might go about picking that up and using it. But I know it would be hilarious to witness, regardless.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Pikachu uses his hands for:

Crates/Barrels/Party Balls
Super Scope and Raygun (he takes the gun out of his mouth, fires, and puts it back)
Ledgegrabs
Grabbing opponents (part of his down and back throws involve him manhandling his opponent, but not a lot)

Mewtwo uses his hands for

Ledge grabs

While my 'no hands' is a bit of a simplification, it was easier than going into all the reasons Kabutops, Ratata, Zapdos, and Jolteon would not work.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
While my 'no hands' is a bit of a simplification, it was easier than going into all the reasons Kabutops, Ratata, Zapdos, and Jolteon would not work.
I'm sure. But ultimately, I think those characters all wouldn't work because they're just too random or (in Zapdos' case) too legendary without being THE legendary (Mewtwo).

I agree that the "no hands" thing is something that would need some careful attention and extra effort on the part of the creators, but if Kabutops were popular enough (that is, as iconic as Pikachu or Mewtwo), then I'm sure they could make him work.

The rAt

Smash Ace
lol, Electrode is one of the worst pokemon in my opinion. He may be strong in various Pokemon games but OMG whoever made the concept of him needs some new ideas.
Can't forget Voltorb. What's worse than an arm-less, leg-less, body-less ball? A smaller arm-less, leg-less, body-less ball.

All I can picture is a Zapdos pastry-chef.

Yeah, and that's really annoying. Pikachu is the face of Pokémon because the Japanese liked it. The only reason it's popular here is because they just ported over all the merchandise from Japan and shoved Pika down our throat. "THIS is you're favorite Pokémon and YOU WILL LIKE IT."
I don't know about you, but in my city, the general consensus was that scyther was the coolest Pokémon (I never liked him too much, he just seemed like a ripoff of the almighty kabutops), followed by Mewtwo, who actually has hands (which he doesn't use, but whatever) so there'd be no (and was no) debate over his characterability.
So, my argument is that they should have put Pika in for Japan, and Mewtwo for Americans. It's much better than getting TWO Japanese-popular Pokémon, one of which isn't liked much at all in America (despite the propaganda).
I see what you're getting at, but I always liked Pika for different reasons. Mainly the fact that he was a rat and he could fry you. That's just a ****ed good combo in my book.
And honestly, while I agree that Pika's popularity originated in Japan, it has certainly more than found its home here. His role in Red/Blue was no more significant than any other pokemon, and it wasn't as though it was practical to redo the anime for it's American translation, and let's face it the anime has a strong reputation for turning people off pokemon, rather than attracting people to it (not to pick on fans of the show), so I don't think you can fairly attribute all of its popularity to that, either.
So, I'm not really disagreeing that Mewtwo would have made more sense than Jiggly, but I'm disagreeing with your opinion on Pika's popularity in the U.S. Though for the record, Scyther is pretty sweet.

Sandbag 4 playable character!
Well, he'd certainly be a step up from Pichu. (it just wouldn't be a post by yours truly without some well-placed Pichu hate)

He fires the super scope by humping it into submission (I guess he's technically using his hands to keep it steady, like the fire flower, but still. I doubt he works the gun the way he does for his own personal reasons).
Lol. Well played.
You know why he does that though, right? It's a demonstration of what he's about to do to his opponents.

Oh, and he waves at the camera. Which is awfully cute.
Sure, it's cute until you find out he's really threatening to come after you next. And then the world.

Seriously, though, I think we've settled the whole "Why Pikachu?" question, so I'm betting the Mods will destroy this topic fairly soon. Unless someone has some pretty compelling reasons they're holding back.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
But anyways, we're kinda getting off topic. I suppose it's your turn: Which would you have liked to have been the mascot? (IE, What's your favorite 1st gen Pokémon?)
1st generation............ I still say Pikachu, my other choice would be Mew
2nd generation........... I would say Togepi or Cyndaquil
3rd generation............ I luv Absol and my second choices would be Plusle and Minun
4th generation............ This generation is hard to pick because there are so many icons to pick from buy I would say Munchlax, Lucario, Phione, or Manaphy

I gotta say though (Although we are miles off topic now.....) my top 3 favorite pokemon of all time would be
1. Absol
2. Luxray
3. Lucario

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
well Growlithe is cute, and who says Growlithe can't just be bipedal?

I know it isn't but still. Dogs can stand on their back legs, super fire dogs can walk on their legs.

nickjuly4

Smash Rookie
Why would people like that yellow sparky rat more than Charmander, Squirtle, or Bulbasur? Pikachu in Red/BLue was so unimportant (as not to say USELESS before evolving it to Raichu)...

OffT: I wonder if Pikachu will ever evolve with a Thndrston in the anime... one can dream, right?
Why do you people always think about evolving??

don't ever use link's show. EVER. Link's show was cancelled, and now pokemon has bad spin-offs everywhere. if all 7 to 12 year olds died, pokemon would be cancelled. they like that because it's new and exciting. EDIT: sorry for double post.
Not in your wildest craziest dreams. Meaning that would never happen.

I hate Pokemon too bud.... just suck it up though, little kids love the stupid annoying yellow rat...
No, people of all ages like the cute yellow mouse, idiot.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I think they just want to put pokemon that appeal to the majority of people. Com on, he's cute =P and cool. Pichu IS NOT.
QFF (Quoted for fail).

Pichu is 132874692384712693487145603495872304589710293487130459823650239857203598 times more cuter than Pikachu. And only 39405090901029340158932643721043 as cool.

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is just a beast with his mouse electric powers, who wouldnt want something like that in brawl. it definetly creates a unique moveset and its pretty cool to imagine Snake fighting Pikachu. its awesome that theyve kept pikachu in for three games in a row.

The rAt

Smash Ace
i was wondering the same thing
Clearly you didn't read the rest of the topic.

Slugma is a cephalopod (sp?) with that can shoot fire. who doesn't want to be him?
Me.

Pika's the mascot of the series. Slugma's the mascot of your opinion. It isn't just about the "cool" factor, because every character has the "cool" factor in someone's opinion. It's about significance to the series. Which Slugma has none of.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Pika's the mascot of the series. Slugma's the mascot of your opinion. It isn't just about the "cool" factor, because every character has the "cool" factor in someone's opinion. It's about significance to the series. Which Slugma has none of.
To think about it, how many of the 250+ Pokemon have ANY significance to the series other than Pika? My guess is very few, Ash's, Brock's, etc. main Pokemon, well, maybe not all of them, and that's about it. Besides, we really don't even see all the Pokemon in anything except the games. If I had to take a guess, Slugma is your (Lgndknight) top Pokemon, or maybe just your most favorite, but that doesn't give any great significance.

iron blade

Smash Ace
pikachu was included because he is a major icon for pokemon. despite sakurai's rule, he has been a main character in anime.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
T_T

Pika wasn't created in the anime...
so it doesn't count...
Exactly. Pikachu wasn't in an anime before Pokémon Blue/Red (or Green in Japan), so he still hails from GAMES, not anime. He was just included BECAUSE there was a Pikachu in the anime, this doesn't mean it's Ash's Pikachu. I never saw Ash in any Brawl game so far, and no, Pokémon Trainer/Red doesn't count.

Practically, Pikachu was immensely popular at the time, and still is, because he is the main Pokémon character in the anime, so they just gave the fans what they wanted, their favourite Pokémon playable. It's as simple as that, and anyone could have thought of that.

I don't know if this has been said in the topic before though, but I don't want to spit through the topic right now.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
YUR DOIN IT WRONG!
Pika was put in the anime because he was popular.

WRONG again! I remember when Nintendo power first sent out the Pokemon preview tape with stuff about the game anime and everything else. Nintendo always intended Pikachu to be the mascot. He was popular, because Nintendo wanted him to be. It was like propoganda! I personally never liked Pikachu. Charmander was always better. =P

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
WRONG again!
Again?

I remember when Nintendo power first sent out the Pokemon preview tape with stuff about the game anime and everything else. Nintendo always intended Pikachu to be the mascot. He was popular, because Nintendo wanted him to be. It was like propoganda! I personally never liked Pikachu. Charmander was always better. =P
I've mentioned that several times. Pikachu was propaganda. In America.
He's popular because Japan wanted him to be.

Top Bottom