• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Pikachu?

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
Why put Pikachu in over all the other pokemon? what makes Pikachu better than Slugma? or Hitmonchan?
Pikachu's popularity comes all from the anime, and while this dances around Sakurai's strict "No Anime orginating characters allowed" policy, the only reason Pikachu makes it in,ironically, is the anime.

TOPIC
that only refers to people like Naruto and Goku, wouldn't want them clogging up the game and making it Jump Superstars featuring Nintendo or something

Sakurai DOES use Anime and Manga of games though, Falcon's Flyer in Big Blue came from F-zero Manga, Samus' information about her birth and homeplanet are also from manga. The pokemon use their anime voices.

The popular Pokemans will get in, it just happens the popular ones are from the anime. If it wasn't for the anime, folks like Salamence, Tyranitar and Houndoom would probably be the most popular, sadly, the Anime makes Pikachu and Jiggs the most popular ;_;

at least we get Mewtwo, Ivysaur and Charizard as fierce looking Pokemon, and I hope Lucario joins also, which is another more serious Pokemon.

People keep putting the cart before the horse on Pikachu's popularity.

He was star of the Anime because he attracted more female audience when they were deciding who to make the main Pokemon for the Anime. Pikachu isn't popular by the Anime, Pikachu was in the anime because it was popular. He's in all 3 Mangas, the anime, a game to himself, the other games, a digital pet, and is just generally the face of Pokemon. Wanting him gone is silly.
on the contrary, Ash was suppose to have Clefairy, but she was believed to be too girly. They decided on Pikachu so they could make shock jokes and whatnot, and because Pikachu was becomming one of the more recognized Pokemon back in the day.

But yea, he is the face of Pokemon, unless your a true fan, than Poliwhirl is the real mascot :p

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu rocks. End of story.

Pok'emon trainer is the character that i am most excited about and didn't expect (metaknight being most anticipated).

Either Buff Mewtwo or replace him.

I never would have gotten into smash bros 64 as much as i did if it had not been for pikachu.

PeachFan

Smash Cadet
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
Oops, I only read the first page and forgot to read the rest before I posted, someone else already covered what I was going to say... ignore this. This is what I get for posting before I'm fully awake.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Of all the controversy surrounding various pokemon, I'd have never imagined Pikachu would be brought into question.

Quite frankly, Pikachu is THE mascot for Pokemon. The two go hand in hand. Its pretty much a guarantee that if its Pokemon related, Pikachu is in some way involved. Any pokemon product, any advertising... if its Pokemon, its got Pikachu in some way. Not to mention that he's probably one of the most well-known video game characters in the entire world. Everyone knows Pikachu. Yes, a good portion of that probably comes from the anime. But that doesn't make him any less of a mascot for the entirety of Pokemon.

Besides, it doesn't matter. The rule doesn't say anything about a character merely being in an anime. It says they can't have originated in an anime. The Pokemon games came first, and thus Pika originated in a video game. Which makes him perfectly suited. You can't even use the argument that its the anime Pika in the game, because his entrance shows him coming out of a pokeball. And anime Pikachu doesn't go in pokeballs.

InjuredPelican

Smash Cadet
quote: "...I'm sure Jiggs made it in popularity probably because of the anime....same as Mewtwo. ('cuz they weren't much use to me in the game. That's jut me though.)"

Mewtwo wasn't useful? Wow, he's like the strongest Pokemon in red and blue. That's coo lthat you mastered Snorlax. I never could catch the darn thing.:psycho:

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is a beast and so is jigglypuff. according to the smash bros 64 guide book, jigglypuff was really poppular in japan and Pikachu(Like stated before) was the mascot of pokemon. Mewtwo is jsut the most known legendary pokemon and as for pichu, who most likely wont be coming back, was jsut the cute babay form of pikachu who was also famous. Pichu was also the only baby pokemon to have a holographic card, due to its relation to Pikachu. so yeah,

Pikachu for brawl!
JiggLypuff for brawl!
mewtwo for brawl !
Pichu, no chance but, for brawl!
Pokemon Trainer for Brawl!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I wonder how pika became the mascot. Yeah I know it was the anime but I have yet to figure out why they decided to make Ash's first poke Pikachu. Satoshi (the creator of pokemon) has a favorite in poliwag so you'd think he'd be the mascot instead......

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
You guys really don't understand what sakurai says.
When he said he don't want anime characters in Brawl, he said that there'll be no Inu-Yasha, no Goku, and no Naruto. Characters ORIGINED in animes.
But, Pikachu is a Nintendo character, that is FAMOUS because of the Anime. But he's still famous, and still a Nintendo character, so, that's why he's in brawl.

OK?

Smash Ace
There's been all kinds of little Pikachu promo gigs, even before N64 Smash came out. Pikachu is the most popular pokemon ever.
Then there's those weird ****. they like Jigglypuff the best, hence her inclusion in the game.
=2007=

Meta_Knight_14

Smash Cadet
I've been saying this for a while now, but if they had made a Pokemon Battle game with the same engine and gameplay as Super Smash Brothers, no one would personally care who's in SSB because they could all go play Pokemon instead.

But yeah, Pikachu is iconic. If you try to break it down into specifics, you could break every character down and question whether they belong in the game.

Think about it, before SSB 64, Fox or C Falcon had never even been seen on the ground, let along in a combat situation. Who's to say they shouldn't be in the game? Mario and Luigi's attacks all stemmed from jumping on things with the exception of the power suits. (up until Mario 64)

So really trying to break down specifically why Pikachu should be in the game is kinda pointless. Man this is making me wanna crack out the old Red/Blue/Yellow games :)

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
So really trying to break down specifically why Pikachu should be in the game is kinda pointless. Man this is making me wanna crack out the old Red/Blue/Yellow games :)
I wouldn't call it pointless, this is a thread that gives everyone something to think about and to just have fun with. I've found it to be somewhat of a heated debate, including when Sakurai says something that he won't include, and then includes it. All this is about is opinions, opinions, opinions. There is nothing wrong with opinions.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
What is wrong with you people? How can you keep thinking that Pikachu is famous for the anime when not only is that illogical, but it's been pointed out several times in this thread that it's in the anime because it's famous.

You know, technically, there are several Pokémon that "originated" in the anime. Marill, Snubull, Donphan, Kecleon, Wynaut, Muchlax (didn't he just say playable characters, anyway?), Togepi (by a lot), Lucario (hopefully Sakurai keeps his word...), and others all appeared in the anime before being in a game. I wonder if that counts...? And what about characters that orignated in anime games...?

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
What is wrong with you people? How can you keep thinking that Pikachu is famous for the anime when not only is that illogical, but it's been pointed out several times in this thread that it's in the anime because it's famous.

You know, technically, there are several Pokémon that "originated" in the anime. Marill, Snubull, Donphan, Kecleon, Wynaut, Muchlax (didn't he just say playable characters, anyway?), Togepi (by a lot), Lucario (hopefully Sakurai keeps his word...), and others all appeared in the anime before being in a game. I wonder if that counts...? And what about characters that orignated in anime games...?
since im not one of those nerdy fanboys of lucario i will just say this
even though he started in the anime he WAS STILL in a game and i also think your opinion is very fair even though i think other wise :urg:

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Hm, come to think of it, Ho-oh was in the very first episode of the anime. Obviously I guess appearing in the anime first doesn't count for an appearance since they do appear in Smash Bros. Who knows, maybe Pokemon is the exception...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
That thing about Lucario starting in the Anime is a load of crap.

Yes he appeared in the Anime first, but only after he was created in the games.

So no, he did not originate from the Anime.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
That thing about Lucario starting in the Anime is a load of crap.

Yes he appeared in the Anime first, but only after he was created in the games.

So no, he did not originate from the Anime.
but thats when anyone besides nintendo saw him right?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Hm, come to think of it, Ho-oh was in the very first episode of the anime. Obviously I guess appearing in the anime first doesn't count for an appearance since they do appear in Smash Bros. Who knows, maybe Pokemon is the exception...
I mentioned that after Munchlax. Neither of them, nor Marill or Togepi, are playable characters, so technically, Sakurai has kept his word so far.

And while we're off topic...
Down with Geno and Lucario! Bomberman, Isaac, and Andy for Brawl!

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Was that because of the show? of overhype of the adorable rodent? honestly had tehy not hyped him/her beyond most pokemon, that wouldn't be the case. Pikachu was on every kind of merchandise, and still is.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
every franchise needs a mascot... I wish sandshrew were Pokemon's mascot, I think Sandshrew was more popular than Pikachu, they're both rodents, but Pikachu is like, bear with me here, it's the only analogy I have right now. Pikachu is liek, *gulp* Naruto *pant, pant* whew... and Sandshrew is like, *takes breath* Gaara. *gasp, wheeze* so it's a rivalry type thing, and alone, without any help, Na(deep breath) Naruto would get his face wiped all over the ground against Gaara.

BELIEVE I*gets shot*...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
every franchise needs a mascot... I wish sandshrew were Pokemon's mascot, I think Sandshrew was more popular than Pikachu, they're both rodents, but Pikachu is like, bear with me here, it's the only analogy I have right now. Pikachu is liek, *gulp* Naruto *pant, pant* whew... and Sandshrew is like, *takes breath* Gaara. *gasp, wheeze* so it's a rivalry type thing, and alone, without any help, Na(deep breath) Naruto would get his face wiped all over the ground against Gaara.

BELIEVE I*gets shot*...
Apparently GameFreak wanted Clefairy to be the Mascot. That's why we heard so much about it in R/B.

EDIT:

And why Red in the Manga has one.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Clefairy and Polywhirl were supposed to be mascots at different points, however Pikachu got the job...

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Wow, I just realized I'm quoting people more than a week late. Oh well...

Maybe I am just really old, but will someone else show up and tell me that Pikachu and pokemon have NOT been around for THAT long? That they are actually pretty recent and that at the time N64's graphics were incredible. **** it, I am old.
I am showing up and telling you that Pikachu and pokemon have NOT been around for THAT long. Heck, when SSB64 came out, Pokemon were still on their first game. And in my book, you're not old until you bring up anything pre-NES. Super Mario Bros. (the first one) was my childhood.

Alright....stop it, but you're making ME feel old too. Poke'mon came out over 10 years ago my friends. Heck, I was 13 when they first started showing it...and that was before WB had the rights to it. (Yes, before Cartoon Network for the younger people) It started on UPN...like many cartoons and anime, then moved to a more popular station that wasn't going to show it in the morning right before or after kids went to school. Anyway....I was made fun of for liking it...but screw them, xD. (Even still I had NO idea what an anime was until a year later.) But I digress, I've watched Poke'mon right up until they got rid of May....that pretty much signified when I lost television. Which was right before I went to Japan. I'm 23 now. In America it's been around for 10 years....so I can only imagine how long it's been in Japan. I think maybe 13.
Bah, you're not old. Well, I hope not, because if you are, then I am, too. Anyhow, I remember when the anime came out, as well, but I gave up on the it pretty quick. Not because it was too watered down or kiddy, not because the characters were poorly written (or poorly translated perhaps), but because of all the Pokes Ash ran into and made friends with instead of catching.

Either way saying that it has been around forever is ignoring that it is still a newbie compared to charecters from the Mario, Zelda, IC's, DK, Starfox, Kirby, G&W, Fire Emblem and Earthbound series. I think that is right I don't really want to look up the date, but I am pretty sure all of those were out by SNES, (with exceptions of incarnations like Sheik and Y. Link.) Either way, that actual point of my first post was I am pretty sure the Pokemon are basically the new series in the Smash series, so saying they have been around forever is not really an excuse.
Not sure about Fire Emblem, but the rest were out by SNES, as well as F-Zero, Samus (from the NES), and arguably Yoshi. For the record, though, I expect Pikmin's Olimar to steal the "new franchis" status.

BELIEVE I*gets shot*...
I have no idea what you just said.

Anyhow, I was thinking of using the rest of this post to give one of my trademark speeches about Pikachu's epic greatness, but I decided it's just too predictable. Everyone here seems to have already answered the question "Why Pikachu?"

So I pose this question in response "Why not Pikachu?"

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Because rattata, kabutops, jolteon, zapdos, and Mewtwo.
Those aren't reasons not to put Pikachu in. They're a list of pokemon you like. And not one of them could be catergorized as the face of Pokemon. Nor are they recognizable to people who aren't familiar with the overall pokemon franchise. At least not to the level that Pika is. Heck, Pika is recognizable to people who don't even play video games.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Those aren't reasons not to put Pikachu in. They're a list of pokemon you like. And not one of them could be catergorized as the face of Pokemon. Nor are they recognizable to people who aren't familiar with the overall pokemon franchise. At least not to the level that Pika is. Heck, Pika is recognizable to people who don't even play video games.
I don't think I understood your question. I thought you were asking why Pika shouldn't have been the face of Pokémon, to which a list of my favorite 1st gen Pokémon would be a reasonable, yet extremely biased, answer.
Sinse Pika is the face of Pokémon, it's obligatory that he's included, though Mewtwo should have gotten in over Jiggly in the original.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
Why put Pikachu in over all the other pokemon? what makes Pikachu better than Slugma? or Hitmonchan?
Pikachu's popularity comes all from the anime, and while this dances around Sakurai's strict "No Anime orginating characters allowed" policy, the only reason Pikachu makes it in,ironically, is the anime.

TOPIC
Pikachu is basically the pokemon in which symbolizes the entire pokemon world. He's basically their mascot. I guarantee you that if you ask some 8 - 12 year olds what their favorite pokemon is, the majority of them will answer with Pikachu. Pikachu is the face and idol of pokemon. No other pokemon is more recognizable to non gamers and non pokemon fans. On plus, I don't think anyone wants to play as a Slugma.

Top Bottom