• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why people are upset, and what Sakurai could have done

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
(Please read everything without content against complainers before judging me)

First off, the reason why many are upset, me included, is because we over hyped ourselves for this game. But our hype did not go unjust, this was Sakurai's final attempt at SSB, he had over 2 years and wasn't rushed as much as he was with Melee, he said there would be a ridiculous amount of characters, and many thought this would mean an exponential increase rather than a linear increase, we twisted his words in his journal and came to believe the clones would vanish, everything would be original, and more females would become playable. Unfortunately none of that came true, and when it did, we all panicked and started to go overboard on ranting.

Many of us wanted to see a finale to the game, and not just a sequel. And much was the fault of the way Sakurai presented the characters. This is the one spot where we can call him dumb, because of this choice. If he had included characters we already knew from Melee first and introduced the new characters as hidden characters, everyone would be praising the game, sure people would still gripe about not having Krystal, or Isaac, or Geno, or Megaman, or Ridley, but people would have accepted it better.

The second mistake he made was not individualizing the characters, especially with final smashes. This is where people saw him as lazy, and while I'll admit you can't always get away from cloning, he could have at least made the Final Smashes, the premiere part of this game along with AT and SSE, specialized to the character. Like Toon Link could have done a final smash with the wind, instead of a cloned Link. Also many saw that using the Landmaster three times was incredibly lame, first off many at the time really didn't like the Landmaster, but excepted it and figured another Star Fox character would get the Arwing, but instead he rehashed it not once, but twice. Seriously Sakurai, if you want the Final Smashes to be completely unique to this game, make them unique to the characters.

His third mistake was not listening to the fans as much. He even had a poll set up, and it seemed he ignored several of the higher request, and only implemented ones he thought would be good. This is the first mistake in any business situation, when you design in mind for yourself and not the customers, you have to design in mind for the customers, or else they will be dissatisfied and will become upset and disgruntled like they did. The difference here is he is able to get away with it seeing how popular the series is, everyone will buy it regardless. If it was an unheard of game, then people would just refuse to spend there money on it.

He could have fixed this in three ways
- Release the characters in a better order
- Made the characters more original
- Just have added more of the characters people wanted as playable.

In the end, while the SSE and all the other extras are extremely a nice overall addition, what people really want out of Brawl is what originally attracted them to SSB in the first place back on the N64, the ability to play against your friends fighting with you're favorite Nintendo character to prove you favorite series is better, and to have fun while doing it. Brawl may have the fun part nailed down, but in terms of characters, many felt he lacked at doing this this time. We all know what the Wii is capable of, and most of us know he could have added so much more. Most just wanted to use their favorite characters, and many didn't get theirs. (I know I didn't get any in my top three: Isaac, Krystal, Megaman, all highly wanted and on Sakurai's multiple voted list)

To the characters he added, R.O.B. is ok, he is actually a very unique character, just many just wanted something different. It's the fact that many didn't even support him as a character, after seeing him already as a SSE underling.

Toon Link could have been made really original, but became a clone just like Young Link. He could of had more Wind Waker unique qualities, or we could of had Majora's Mask Link and had Mask transformations, and an Oni Link Final Smash.

Two Fox semi-clones, still clones, was a pretty bad disission, as many thought Falco was gone, but ended up not only getting him, but another version of him and Fox. There are plenty of way they could have made them unique. They could have also added aKrystal in the Adventure form and had a completely unique Star Fox rep.

Ganondorf had an opportunity to really be refreshed and unique, but again he became a clone of Captain Falcon.

I might write more later if I get a chance, sorry for the wall of text, I am finally getting to the end of my venting cycle and closely approaching acceptance.

One final word, the only thing I can thing of the completely lighten up all the upset fans is the inclusion of downloadable characters. It's a far shot, but it's something Nintendo should look into. Unfortunately there is no way to contact Nintendo and flood them with pitches of this idea. There must be a way to Let Nintendo know what we want though...

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
he was rushed. he didnt even know they were working on another ssb. then he was suppose to release it for wii launch then it was delayed and delayed again. i really dont care. just stfu and stop crying. if you're that mad make the game your ****ing self and let us flame you.

About the character roster (everyone's number one complaint): I'm actually satisfied (not amazed, satisfied) with the character roster and that is because it pulls some amazing characters I would have never thought of in Brawl.
And about the characters being unique: WE DO NOT OWN THE GAME YET. U.S Doesn't have the game, so we really can test out how the characters are unique or not. I would just like to say, sorry and these things happen.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I was thinking if possible, I could rip the game and mod it, I would if I could assemble a team, and it would be better. 3-D animation is my specialty, but I'm not good at programming.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
he was rushed. he didnt even know they were working on another ssb. then he was suppose to release it for wii launch then it was delayed and delayed again. i really dont care. just stfu and stop crying. if you're that mad make the game your ****ing self and let us flame you.
See, this kind of STFU attitude is what stifles a forum's ability to provide open discussion. The TC raised some legitimate points in a well thought out (if somewhat long) post and few are willing to address him on them, instead opting to throw out the tired "If you don't like it, go make your own!" argument. You don't have to be a chef to know when something has gone bad.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
My main reason to be upset:

Side B - Skull Hammer, acts like DK's Headbutt
Up B - Deku Leaf, acts like Snake's Cypher recovery
Down B - Parry, acts like Metaknight's Dimensional Cape, except more a roll than a teleport.
Neutral B - Bow and Arrow/Iron Boots, can switch them on and off, heavily reduce launch amount but reduce speed (Imagine an impromptu Metal Box, but T.Link is slow).

Wind Waker Link had the potential to be someone completely different. I could understand Falco being a clone of Fox, you don't have too much to work from when developing Falco's moveset. Same with Wolf, he hardly has his own game - Sakurai ONLY had Fox to work off of. But Wind Waker Link could have been a COMPLETELY unique fighter for the roster. Instead we got this. Although I do like his animations, the way his moves work, I really think Sakurai dropped the ball on this one.

I don't think the character release order is important - I think that PURELY affects the Hardcore Smashers. I'm sure this game will be a hit with people outside of this forum i.e. those who don't check the Dojo daily for updates.

More playable characters? Sorry to keep on and on about it...but Ridley - I assumed - was a shoe-in. Metroid has spawned so many games, Metroid Prime is critically acclaimed. Yet all we got for Metroid was Samus/Naked Samus? WTF! Star Fox gets 3 representatives...despite it's lack of prestige and longevity. Ridley could have been incredible. I'm sure even if he was a faster, weaker clone of Bowser - people would rejoice!
Instead, we get Wolf...and Falco... *shudder*

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
I love the roster, it's about what it should be, smash is a game that focuses on Nintendo's main characters and brings in a few classics to even it out. The problem was people had unrealistic roster additions and people thought because Snake and Sonic were in anything goes.

By the way, the game is 37 characters, not 35...also it's 39 if you count the 3-1 that is the Pokemon Trainer. I realize there are clones but considering how ***** Melee's roster was this game is a huge step up.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
lets face it... he sucks at life and should go die...

but it worked i am gonna buy it anyway
^^^
If you're going to complain about how telling people to stop whining stifles this forums creativity, stop making ones like those.

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
this is the most succinct explanation for why we're all pissed.

the whole cloned FS amongst falco fox and wolf is a complete CRIME when you look at how much EXTRA nonsense is in this game. roster should have taken priority over everything else. and the newcomers should have been kept secret while he updated the veterans on the site. watching the site over the past year has been SO exciting...and here we all are thinking we're gonna get like the MUTHERLOAD of surprises when the game was released...but all we got is a bunch of the same ole charecters....NOT IMPROVED much at all.

this is a real punch in the face

and it's a good thing the game is delayed...because i need a good month to get over this bullsh*t

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
See, this kind of STFU attitude is what stifles a forum's ability to provide open discussion. The TC raised some legitimate points in a well thought out (if somewhat long) post and few are willing to address him on them, instead opting to throw out the tired "If you don't like it, go make your own!" argument. You don't have to be a chef to know when something has gone bad.
very well put

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Very nice post. OP pretty much summed it up with the exception of ridley not being there. I can get over gannondorf because I liked how he played in melee but toon link and the same final smashes for all starfox kinda sucks. I just don't get why we have 3 starfox characters, lots of mario ones and only ONE metroid character, expecially when ridley was such a popular choice... oh well I'll still love my boozer.

drbatty

Smash Rookie
You all are ******** as hell and ****ing stupid. Sakurai creates a website solely for the fans, updating it EVERY DAY with new information. He even goes as far as adding in characters that fans were asking for. How many companies have done this? And yet here you are; *****ing because your most ridiculous assumption that a specific character you wanted in the game isn't there; simply because you thought that character would fit in the game. Well **** yourself; he added many great and amazing characters and I hope many of you never get this game and truly enjoy it.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
You all are ******** as hell and ****ing stupid. Sakurai creates a website solely for the fans, updating it EVERY DAY with new information. He even goes as far as adding in characters that fans were asking for. How many companies have done this? And yet here you are; *****ing because your most ridiculous assumption that a specific character you wanted in the game isn't there; simply because you thought that character would fit in the game. Well **** yourself; he added many great and amazing characters and I hope many of you never get this game and truly enjoy it.
Wrong, I was excited about this game, heck in some ways I still very much am, but I got upset when he half-***** on the unlockables after building up the rest of what he announced so much, and then to make almost every unlockable a vet with the same moves or a clone is just sad and lazy on his part.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Have people here realized that outside of his Blaster and FS Wolf isn't a clone? And that if Krystal HAD been put in Brawl, she more than likely WOULD have just been a clone? No? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Lets be reasonable here people, Sakurai did NOT have 6 years to make this game, he didn't even have 2 years to make it. The announcement came as a surprise to him, he had NO IDEA that there was gonna be a new Smash Bros. game, let alone that he was supposed to make it. Even worse, for a while he had no team to help him make the game. So what we have here is a product made in LESS than 2 years, with an amazing single player mode, a huge amount of stages, a plethora of game modes and 39(you can choose any of PT's Pokemon, Sheik and Zamus SEPERATELY) characters. Yes, Toon Link, Lucas, Ganon and Falco(maybe, I haven't seen ANY of his footage) are clones(Wolf is not, stop saying it, its not going to make it true) So, not counting clones, you have 35 DIFFERENT playable characters. Thats more than enough.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Then again, due to the roster, it shows that he's not very in touch with his fans.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Funny. NO ONE is saying anything about their character not being in. we are discussing the half A**ed implementation of the characters that are in compared to the fluff content that sakarai himself has said he went "overboard" on.

One thing I don't understand about clones. why do they have to have the same B moves from one character? couldn't Wolf have falcons punch, diddys jet pack, and Boozer claw?

Would anyone honestly complain if THAT was how any of the clones worked out?

I wouldn't.

ps. THREE LANDMASTERS!

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
About the character roster (everyone's number one complaint): I'm actually satisfied (not amazed, satisfied) with the character roster and that is because it pulls some amazing characters I would have never thought of in Brawl.
And about the characters being unique: WE DO NOT OWN THE GAME YET. U.S Doesn't have the game, so we really can test out how the characters are unique or not. I would just like to say, sorry and these things happen.
why what is this?! A japanese wii and japanese brawl game? boat loads of videos on the internet? Nah WE DO NOT OWN THE GAME YET so we obviously don't know anything about the characters or that they are very much clones.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I agree with this guy. Americans are spoiled assuming everyone who complained so far is American. I am happy that Sakurai made Brawl even though the roster contains clones, some advance techniques were removed, and the game was delayed twice.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I agree with this guy. Americans are spoiled assuming everyone who complained so far is American. I am happy that Sakurai made Brawl even though the roster contains clones, some advance techniques were removed, and the game was delayed twice.
I'm grateful for him creating the game overall, but at the same time I'm also mentally capable of recognizing they came up surprisingly short when it comes to the roster. I don't delude myself, out of some fanboyish urge to prove that I'm grateful.

I'm spoiled? I work my *** off, I'm an informed voter and tax payer, I don't impose my beliefs on anyone at all.

Please spare me your logical fallacies and baseless insults.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Americans are spoiled assuming that everyone who complained so far is American?

Or

Americans are spoiled, assuming that everyone who complained so far is American?

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
I think he did miss some great opportunities with Miis and/or create-a-brawler. And alt costumes. Such simple ideas could of given much much more to the game. We can already create stages, so why not characters? Mii would be awsome and could be kept cool with equipable items (just for show) like koopa shells and so much more.

Heflito

Smash Cadet
Have people here realized that outside of his Blaster and FS Wolf isn't a clone? And that if Krystal HAD been put in Brawl, she more than likely WOULD have just been a clone? No? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Lets be reasonable here people, Sakurai did NOT have 6 years to make this game, he didn't even have 2 years to make it. The announcement came as a surprise to him, he had NO IDEA that there was gonna be a new Smash Bros. game, let alone that he was supposed to make it. Even worse, for a while he had no team to help him make the game. So what we have here is a product made in LESS than 2 years, with an amazing single player mode, a huge amount of stages, a plethora of game modes and 39(you can choose any of PT's Pokemon, Sheik and Zamus SEPERATELY) characters. Yes, Toon Link, Lucas, Ganon and Falco(maybe, I haven't seen ANY of his footage) are clones(Wolf is not, stop saying it, its not going to make it true) So, not counting clones, you have 35 DIFFERENT playable characters. Thats more than enough.
PR got it right. He had 2 years to make the game and was under more pressure than we could possibly imagine. (it was supposed to be a launch title for Wii remember? anyone care to remind us how long ago that was?) And still he did a really good job. To say he is lazy in at all is a terrible thing to say with the amount of work but into this game. In case you forgot characters arn't the only thing they worked on in the game, there are a ton of new game modes a co-op mode and a full single player campain. Am I a little dissapointed with the roster? Sure. But I respect all the work that him and his team put into the game and anybody bashing him should be ashamed. Also guys really I like swearing as much as the next guy, but it doesn't help your argument.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice

I think the main thing about it is that everyone has this over inflated sense of entitlement that comes along with being there from day one with the dojo and amongst all the speculation and also discussions on SWF.

Here's the pure unadulterated truth - Sakurai doesn't owe any of you Sh*t.

get over it, play the game, be happy

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
What is it with all the people with like 20 posts that have started appearing? They try and make it seem like it's somehow our fault that the majority of fans were disappointed with this roster.

Talk about boosting their egos eh?

Mizukami_Jago

Smash Rookie
To be honest...

I am not mad...

while I have yet to play Brawl... (and I really am glad March isn't that far away...)

I believe, that Sakurai did all he could in the time allotted... and... there was probably a good reason why some characters aren't there... having ended up on the cutting room floor due to incompatibility issues... or something... and from the sounds of things... with the Starfox characters sharing the Final Smash... could have been a result of the limited time frame, and to meet demand, as many people were waiting (and some of us still are...) waiting for the game's release...

I think, that with everything I've seen for this game through the various pics, movies and whatnot... that it stand as a worthy title...

as far as the roster is concerned... I am not bummed... I have Princess Peach... and even if she wasn't in this game... I still had various characters I like to play... that... and I want to try the new characters too... but I am getting off topic a bit...

Ultimately... we should just accept the game for what it is...

aside from that... the game process must be a very daunting task... writing the story, getting the workers. the programming, the many trial and errors that can happen along the way... sometimes the budget... I mean, some games have been scrapped...

So, I guess what I am trying to say is... just be glad that we have another installment of the Smash Series to play... With or without its faults...

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I love the roster, it's about what it should be, smash is a game that focuses on Nintendo's main characters and brings in a few classics to even it out. The problem was people had unrealistic roster additions and people thought because Snake and Sonic were in anything goes.
Unrealistic? More like logical.

ROB may be classic, but he was implemented because Sakurai loves surprises. Why? I don't know. No one asked for him, but he got in.

People asked for a decently altered Ganon, Young Link, Falco, etc. and they didn't get that either.
People asked for Megaman or Geno. Sakurai didn't even ask Capcom.
People asked for Krystal, who for once, wouldn't be a furry with a gun. Nope.
People asked for Ridley. I'm personally glad he's a boss but, at least put in another Metroid representative! Nope.
People asked for Animal Crosser. Sakurai said he's not "fighting material", and he puts in a robot.

Wolfs not a clone, STOP PRETENDING HE IS.
Let's see.
Fox and Falco and Wolf have a blaster? Check.
Fox and Falco and Wolf shoot up randomly into the air for Up + B? Check.
Fox and Falco and Wolf have a reflector? Check.
Fox and Falco and Wolf "illusion"/dash to the side for Side + B? Check.
Fox and Falco and Wolf use Landmasters? Double check.
Fox and Falco and Wolf have roughly the same uniforms, and come from the same series? Check.

The only thing they did to differentiate Wolf from Fox was make his blaster shots slow and powerful, take away the fire from "Fire Fox" Up+B, take away the pretty blue-lights from Fox Illusion, and make his reflector more powerful.

Essentially, he is Fox/Falco, just tweaked. I still consider him a CLONE.

If he WASN'T a clone, he'd have a completely different moveset, like:
B - Sprays his blaster in shots from left to right above his head.
Side B - Dashes forward, grabs an opponent, and throws them in the air shooting them.
Up B - Jumps up and spins, shooting his blaster as he spins.
Down B - Reflector emits a pulse that stuns players.

See? I made a different moveset in just a few minutes. Sakurai couldn't even do that.
And see, it's still not even that different. Why? Wolf is just like Fox and Falco, in terms of character. They should have put in Krystal, who is actually different, female, uses magic and a staff, I mean seriously. She had serious potential.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
intead of ridley i think they should have put a space pirate what u think plus me i love falco and i like wolf im just happy they did put back falco ^^

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Let's see.
Fox and Falco and Wolf shoot up randomly into the air for Up + B? Check.No, just no
Fox and Falco and Wolf have roughly the same uniforms, and come from the same series?This one doesn't count and you know it Check.
Lol, so then I assume that your one of those people who spams Special Attacks when they play?
I've explained too many times already, if you refuse to get why Fox/Wolf aren't clones then Im not going to bother going through all the reasons they are not.. Although I will say this. Up B: Its a third jump. Most characters are going to either go up or forward. You can not say because a character goes up with their up b, they are a clone.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace

ROB may be classic, but he was implemented because Sakurai loves surprises. Why? I don't know. No one asked for him, but he got in.

People asked for a decently altered Ganon, Young Link, Falco, etc. and they didn't get that either.
People asked for Ridley. I'm personally glad he's a boss but, at least put in another Metroid representative! Nope.
People asked for Animal Crosser. Sakurai said he's not "fighting material", and he puts in a robot.

Let's see.
Fox and Falco and Wolf have roughly the same uniforms, and come from the same series? Check.

The only thing they did to differentiate Wolf from Fox was make his blaster shots slow and powerful, take away the fire from "Fire Fox" Up+B, take away the pretty blue-lights from Fox Illusion, and make his reflector more powerful.

Side B - Dashes forward, grabs an opponent, and throws them in the air shooting them.

See? I made a different moveset in just a few minutes. Sakurai couldn't even do that.
And see, it's still not even that different. Why? Wolf is just like Fox and Falco, in terms of character. They should have put in Krystal, who is actually different, female, uses magic and a staff, I mean seriously. She had serious potential.
*claps*

people have just lost touch of what they believed.

Dardrax

Smash Rookie

Let's see.

The thing you don't have a grasp on is Nintendo quite frankly doesn't give a **** what the western world suggests. Their base of operations, everything they aim to do is generally in Japan. We have Solid Snake and Sonic in a first party Nintendo game. He said up front there will only be 2-3 third party characters. This is just another case of somebody whose "bestest character" didn't get in. You can stay in your room and make more movesets while the rest of us play Brawl. And Wolf is based on Fox, not a direct clone. Think Mario to Luigi.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
If I had almost three years to work on one game, 100 people helping me, suggestions from fans world-wide, a huge variety of video games and systems to choose from, some highly-suggested characters, and a chance to impress fans of one of the most popular video games ever...

And I gave three characters the same Final Smash...

This topic is much like the one I was posting in. Posting have such strong opinions and points about how they feel on the dissapointments on this game, and all the other side can do is cuss them out and insult people.

Seriously, why do we try anymore? The people who are dissapointed know why they are dissapointed, and those that aren't are going to flame us for being childish as half their words become *'s.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
The thing you don't have a grasp on is Nintendo quite frankly doesn't give a **** what the western world suggests. Their base of operations, everything they aim to do is generally in Japan. We have Solid Snake and Sonic in a first party Nintendo game. He said up front there will only be 2-3 third party characters. This is just another case of somebody whose "bestest character" didn't get in. You can stay in your room and make more movesets while the rest of us play Brawl. And Wolf is based on Fox, not a direct clone. Think Mario to Luigi.
I've worked with skeletons and animations, if you gave me the models in Maya or Max format as well as the Fox Skeleton, I could make Falco and Wolf "Luigified" in a matter of hours.

In fact if this game gets reversed engineered, I would gladly take the models of some of the assist trophies people requested, animate them, give them movesets and insert them into Brawl as playable. If I can get the models from Star Fox Adventures and Assault, I'll whip up a combined, fresh new Krystal Model, and insert her in the game as well. Give me at most a year with a small group of other graphic artist, and some necessary hackers and coders, and I could make Brawl what it should have been, and clone free.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
If I had almost three years to work on one game, 100 people helping me, suggestions from fans world-wide, a huge variety of video games and systems to choose from, some highly-suggested characters, and a chance to impress fans of one of the most popular video games ever...

And I gave three characters the same Final Smash...

This topic is much like the one I was posting in. Posting have such strong opinions and points about how they feel on the dissapointments on this game, and all the other side can do is cuss them out and insult people.

Seriously, why do we try anymore? The people who are dissapointed know why they are dissapointed, and those that aren't are going to flame us for being childish as half their words become *'s.
So true, so sad and true, I've been noticing this all along.

We're bringing up valid and thought out disagreements, and all they can do is flame and cuss at us for not being happy. Don't blame Sakurai, who else would I blame for three Landmaster? Who else would I blame for two Links that are exactly the same, just with different models? Seriously people think for yourselves.

RageofNidhogg

Smash Rookie
*sigh* The responses I dislike most are abundant in this thread. People telling others to stop complaining about their one character that didn't get it. I love it how when someone formulates a valid argument or reason to dislike the roster, a great amount of the responses tell him to stop whining about how the character he wanted didn't get in. Now if the TC had said. This roster sucks because Ridley is not in it, then yes that would be a valid response but he didn't. He presented an explanation for why he thought many people disliked the roster only mentioning his choice of characters in passing.

I mean personally I'm bummed that characters like Geno, and Isaac did not get in. Can I live with it? Of course. I'll still be happy to buy the game and I still will probably have a lot of fun with it. I still believe though that the roster could have been better. Not because these characters did not get in but simply because of the disproportionate amount of characters per series, such as the fact that a not very popular and dwindling series like Star Fox gets 3 reps, and a series that has always been popular and recently has had a resurrection only has 1 (2 if you count ZSS as a separate character). And also because characters that could have very unique and different movesets are still simply clones. Like how ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone which never made sense to me, and how Wind Waker Link is a clone of link despite the fact that he has many moves from his game that could have been put in. I personally just believe that the roster could have been better.

Top Bottom