• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why no Walljumped U-air recovery?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I was fighting a sheik, and I was returning to the stage using my up-B, then the sheik pulled a D-smash on me, I teched, walljumped, and DI-ed towards the stage as I pulled out a Uair, pegging her in the face and giving me a nice bit of space.

I know using Bair can be better against some characters, but what I experienced against sheik's D-smash is that somehow her second hitbox hit me before the bair made contact, thus devastating my recovery.

Any comments on this?

Magus420

Smash Master
If you just up-b immediately after the tech (walljump or otherwise) the startup of the up-b animation pulls you safely below stage level during the rest of the attack (he tucks his body in towards his feet), and then you launch up over the edge and into them right after it ends. If you walljump tech you have to start the up-b before you really move anywhere from the walljump or you'll be too high up and can be hit by long duration multi-hitting things like Sheik and Peach's d-smashes. If you think they're going to d-smash it'd probably be best to just avoid wall jumping out of the tech altogether if you can. The only time I really do anything other than an up-b out of a tech is usually by accident, but that's just me.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
is it possible to air dodge right after a wall tech jump? i mean, fast enough where you wouldnt get hit by the rest of the edgeguarder's hitboxes? or do you have to wait till the jump animation is finished to airdodge? cause you could probably wall tech jump then instantly airdodge through the opponent, right?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
If you just up-b immediately after the tech (walljump or otherwise) the startup of the up-b animation pulls you safely below stage level during the rest of the attack (he tucks his body in towards his feet), and then you launch up over the edge and into them right after it ends. If you walljump tech you have to start the up-b before you really move anywhere from the walljump or you'll be too high up and can be hit by long duration multi-hitting things like Sheik and Peach's d-smashes. If you think they're going to d-smash it'd probably be best to just avoid wall jumping out of the tech altogether if you can. The only time I really do anything other than an up-b out of a tech is usually by accident, but that's just me.
If the sheik is at a lower percent, this can actually still get you killed. While your Up-B will avoid the rest of sheik's hitboxes, the knockback from the attack won't be high enough to save you, as she can just run back and slap you to oblivion. This goes true with all the other attacks also.

is it possible to air dodge right after a wall tech jump? i mean, fast enough where you wouldnt get hit by the rest of the edgeguarder's hitboxes? or do you have to wait till the jump animation is finished to airdodge? cause you could probably wall tech jump then instantly airdodge through the opponent, right?
You can airdodge, but even if you miss the fist D-smash's hitboxes, she can immediately do another and make contact.

uhhhhhh, okay? you used a move when you techjumped good job! seriously >_>
What the hell? I wasn't making a pointless announcement of some miraculous acheivement, I am just looking for feedback on the technique. If you can't give any, then why post (trying to get a higher status maybe)?

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
Clueless, what works for me is whne i tech in place, i go immediately into an up b so i can keep my invincibility frames and fling her or whoever away from the edge. thats just me though

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
the bad thing about teching in place is just that if you miss the tech, the hit won´t be DI´d and you are most likely dead because you are DIing into the wall and not up.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
no its still possible to hit L and not Up L, then just hold up in case you miss. The point of attack is when you need to DI up, you need to press L before that.

ummm, the air dodge after wall tech is nice, it would be cool to ledge tech to waveland jab. that would be awesome. Magus, I'm waiting on your video it'll be epic!

Magus420

Smash Master
The type of tech you do is actually determined shortly after the tech itself begins. Though it's rather difficult, it's possible to still be holding up/towards the stage at the end of the hitlag to DI in case you miss the tech, and immediately release the stick before you leave the wall to get a non-walljumped tech if you do get the tech.

Also something to note is that if you get hit after you get past the flip part of the up-b and didn't reverse it, you'll have to smash DI at least once and sometimes twice if there's too much knockback and ASDI can't cover it. If you're in the earlier 2/3 or so of the up-b you're a lot closer to the edge and it's easier to tech. What's lame is that it's random what type of knockback animation you get, and it's WAAAY harder to tech if you get the knockback where it looks like he gets hit in the stomach and has his head and feet pointing towards the stage. If you get the spiraling head first away from the stage knockback he's considerably closer, and sometimes you automatically hit the edge during hitlag without doing anything at all since you're considerably closer to begin with and you shift slightly around randomly when in hitlag and can make you bump into it during the hitlag without any smash DI at all.

And yeah, hopefully I get enough time to finish that up sometime soon. I feel like I put that preview vid out way too early not realizing I wouldn't have much time to work on the full version since then. =/

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I tried the tech-jumped Bair again today, and nailed her. It sent her flying and I had time to save myself, but only because her percent was high. I got so annoyed with all the teching I had to do, that I attempted a walljumped forward-B to recover. That was just funny :D cuz I hit her and died.

Top Bottom