• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I think Final Smashes are button activated and can be used more than once

Status
Not open for further replies.

A R K

Smash Rookie
From Sakurai himself, we get

The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball, which is a precious item, indeed.

He only says once, which is a pretty vague statement.
Does he mean once per match? Once per character? Once per Smash Ball?
Ignoring the once per match possibility, we're left with two other options.

Let's take a look at some of the already known Final Smashes.
On Mario's profile page, we have

The explosion launches out and expands vertically as it travels, so in order to inflict the most damage possible on enemies, it's best to release this from a slight floating or midair position on either the left or right side of the screen.

Now, take a moment to picture Mario grabbing a Smash Ball which spawned near the top of a stage. If Final Smashes are activated as soon as someone obtains a Smash Ball, it seems like Mario just wasted his Final Smash because of his position on the stage.

Now let's take Link for example.
So far, all we've seen of Link's Triforce Slash was a cutscene and not gameplay from the E3 movie, unless, however, activating Link's Final Smash means having to stop the battle just for Link to finish his Final Smash.

This brings us to another point: With certain one-character-hitting Final Smashes such as Link's or Kirby's, how will the game determine who the target is? By whoever is nearest to the character? What if, somehow, all the characters ended up KO'd at the same time and are just coming back onto the stage? Or what if the character is already on the verge of death, causing someone like Link chasing after said character against the player's own will only to end up having to be KO'd because he couldn't get back?

Now I realize that most, if not all, Final Smashes are pretty much overpowered and Smash Balls will be rare. However, what can be done about it? If a person has already obtained a Smash Ball happens to stumble upon another one, does that mean they can't do anything except try to prevent the other person from getting it?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I DOUBT you'd have to use the final smash the second you grab the smash ball. That would be a horrible idea and it's extremely stupid. The Final Smash would be useless 95% of the time. You'd be LUCKY to hit someone.
But yeh, because Sakurai said it can only be used "but once" , I believe that the smash ball spawns ONCE per match. I also believe that when you grab the smash ball, you have up to 15 seconds to use it, or the item expires.
I don't see how you provided any evidence of you being able to use it multiple times though.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
I do believe is button activated or something, but it can only be used once by a character per match, which mean a total of 4 smash balls if 4 players are in battle (example) and are rare.

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
i bet its like, u pick it up and then u start glowing, and then u can walk around or whatever and whenever u press b i think its activated

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I do believe is button activated or something, but it can only be used once by a character per match, which mean a total of 4 smash balls if 4 players are in battle (example) and are rare.
See but what happens if you've already used your Final Smash and you run into a smash ball? Will you not be able to touch it? Will you go right through it?

Ugh, I want to play Brawl so badly.

A R K

Smash Rookie
I don't see how you provided any evidence of you being able to use it multiple times though.
Not exactly evidence, but take a look again at the last paragraph. Say a character like Mario already performed a Final Smash, yet another one spawns near him. Can he grab it? Is it only obtainable by those who haven't used a Final Smash yet? If he can grab it, will nothing happen?
No one knows as of yet. Faster characters might have an advantage against others to reach the Smash Ball. Is it fair? Not really. However, isn't that what Smashing is all about? Defeating your opponent using any method possible? I guess that you could prevent the opponent from reaching it until it vanishes, but what other option will you have? Let the opponent grab the Smash Ball so you can become closer to your defeat?

Once again, this isn't solid proof and I'm not saying that this will happen.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
interesting theory you have there, but I am also wondering the same, if it re-spawns will a character that's already used their FS gonna be able to do another one if another FSorb was to re-appear? or would that character just go through it?

cccck

Smash Journeyman
We really don't know, but like I said in my long dead topic about this very thing,

How many thinks in the old games can you do just once?
and yes, I know brawl is a new game, but think about it, what do you think they would see as "best" for the game?

Jet_Kirby

Smash Cadet
This is all really confusing, I'm gonna go with the idea that you have a limited time to use you FS after grabbing the smash ball and if you see another one you cant pick it up...I think

iMichael

Smash Lord
4 brawlers, one stage and one smash ball.....first one to grab it gets to let some awesome sh** happen....i dont think there will be 4 smash balls during a match of four people ......just one smash ball per match no matter what kind of match it is(1v1,2v2,3v1,4 player brawl)

T-major

Smash Champion
I think that "but once" means "once per smash ball". it makes the most sense, and I don't see why it would work any other way. even then, I think it will be so rare that (on average) it will only show up once per match.

I also have no doubt that the Final smashes are activated via command. I'm guessing you have 15 to 30 second to use it before you run out of time.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it, if Final Smashes could be used more than once then it wouldn't say they can be used but once.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I think that "but once" means "once per smash ball". it makes the most sense, and I don't see why it would work any other way. even then, I think it will be so rare that (on average) it will only show up once per match.

I also have no doubt that the Final smashes are activated via command. I'm guessing you have 15 to 30 second to use it before you run out of time.
I agree with what this guy said.

As for Link's FS, I believe the update says he shoots off a beam of light or something like that. I assume that if that beam hits someone, they will be the one caught in it. I also believe Link will be invincible and play would still go on around him... otherwise it'd be really annoying for other people in free-for-alls.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
somehow I see Smashballs working like this.

you get it, and to use it you throw it down at the ground benieth you, then you catch fire and pow... effectively you much smash the smash ball. I'll bet he means you may only use it once per smash ball.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
of course you can only use it once per smash ball. whoever thinks you can only use it once per match didn't read the text too well.

it quite clearly says you can only use it once and only once AFTER using the smash ball. it didn't say anything about only once per match.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I think this is just another example of people trying to read into things too much to get to an answer they are hoping for. I'm sure that in one match (considering it's a long enough time match or if the characters start off with enough stock) that more than one smash ball appears. However, I don't really think that the same character can use a smash ball again in the same match, simply because what would happen with Zero Suit Samus? Wouldn't she then have to have her own version of the final smash?

Plus, did anybody ever think of defending against a character trying to use a smash ball by picking it up and throwing it off the stage, like you could do with a pokeball for example???

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
I've been saying this from Day One.
Of course FS' are button activated - imagine if a Smash Ball spawns at the end of the stage. You walk up to it, and grab it - OH NOES, I'm FACING THE WRONG WAY. Mario Finale automatic, shooting into the sides. Great.
My guess? A + B together.
I think there'll be only one Smash Ball per match - unless determined otherwise in, I predict, a superior Item Switch option.
Instead of "On" and "Off" - I think the items will share a "Percentage" over the amount of items spawning in the match. Smash Ball would initially be set to 1% or something...

Gringleman

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I think you can use it once per smash ball. A great idea would be to make items on "very high" and only smash balls. And there you have it, a final smash battle.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I've been thinking it'll have to be activated too. I wonder if maybe you can collect several Smash Balls and then use your Final Smash several times in a row.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Final Smashes are button activated. That's been proven.

Mario is in a standing pose, the same you get when not touching the controller. The caption even says "Mario is STANDING BY".

As for how much you can use them, I say once per character. Smash Balls appear like normal items, they can appear multiple times per match (although they're rarer than any other item), but a fighter who's already used it can't pick it up (note how in the original trailer, it didn't just dissolve into Mario, he grabbed it).

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Final Smashes are button activated. That's been proven.

Mario is in a standing pose, the same you get when not touching the controller. The caption even says "Mario is STANDING BY".

As for how much you can use them, I say once per character. Smash Balls appear like normal items, they can appear multiple times per match (although they're rarer than any other item), but a fighter who's already used it can't pick it up (note how in the original trailer, it didn't just dissolve into Mario, he grabbed it).
Thread closed?

Ridgeman

Smash Cadet
If you initially couldn't use an unlimited amount of smash balls, it'd be cool if there was a mode that you unlocked that allowed you to use them without limit. Talk about chaos!

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I like how the Original Post was supposed to explain Why the topic starter thinks final smashes are button activated and can be use more than once, yet in the end, he just asked alot of questions.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I think the final smashes are ONCE PER MATCH...that would be kind of lame in a way if they appeared more than once to me..but hey thats just me

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Also, if it was once per smash ball, why would they make a point to say that you can use an item once? It'd be redundant, like saying you can use a bomb-omb once, or a star once.

M.K

Level 55
I definetely believe that the "but once" is meant ONCE PER SMASH BALL. I think what he meant to mean is that Mario can't perform the Mario Finale, then run to the right, and do it again. Nor can Samus Fire multiple HUGOUNDO Lasers. It's just a one-off attack

And there will be multiple Smash Balls, duh. -.-

cccck

Smash Journeyman
Well if you look at the wording... it is once more game... but if you think about it with any logic...
once per smash ball.

zenmasterhouse

Smash Rookie
i think it will pop up and float the 1st time somewhere random, and any one can snatch it.
the 2nd time it will come up away from the last 1 who got it, that way its fairer for the people who didnt get it, but if the other person is skilled enough then they can still get it. and it will continue that procces.
thats what i hope 4 at least...:dizzy:

and maybe it will bounce around like the star.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
The ideas that FSs are activated on the spot, and can be used once per match or once per character are RIDICULOUS ideas. I'm sorry, but if you think that, you are a fool.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I'm thinking the smashball will only pop up once per match.....it makes the match more intense and crucial....if it popped up more than once then that would be kind of lame seriously but Sakurai is a mastermind so him and his team knows whats best

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I really do think that saying it's once per match is really a n00b thing. Why would you be denied a FS after you got one. it's bad design for one, but also more confusing. People take it to seriously. The sentence can go either way.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's not like we have a topic devoted to Final Smash Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom