• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't people pivot walk more?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If you can make it work for yourself, that's cool but last I checked most people don't like it at all as a stragety. It does make one of the best ROB taunts though.

Hagar

Smash Cadet
It accomplished nothing in either of those videos.
in the one vs. wario, it confused him into attacking instead of rolling. in the vs. snake one, it provided an option to grab instead of just running away, as the run>turnaround grab is slower than standing grab.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
in the one vs. wario, it confused him into attacking instead of rolling. in the vs. snake one, it provided an option to grab instead of just running away, as the run>turnaround grab is slower than standing grab.
They're CPU's, not humans. Therefore, you don't know if it would confuse a human. Personally, I get a bit shocked and carry on...they're not THAT good.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Again, it was a computer. There are better options and better ways to punish than doing this.

Plus, it's too obvious what you'd be trying to do. Against a real player, it would just scream, "Olol, he's about to grab."

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
pivot walk chain grab with falco is too fun
This I could never get to work.

Another thing is that in those videos the pivot walk was used way too much. It should be used sparringly as a way of "faking out" your opponent. It should not be used that much.

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice
because its f*cking stupid,

its like going to a tournament, and saying

"I MINDGAMING CUZ IM PLAYIN U WITH MY SOCKS ON MY SHOES"

UncleSam

Smash Master
because its f*cking stupid,

its like going to a tournament, and saying

"I MINDGAMING CUZ IM PLAYIN U WITH MY SOCKS ON MY SHOES"
^^^ my new sig.

This I could never get to work.

Another thing is that in those videos the pivot walk was used way too much. It should be used sparringly as a way of "faking out" your opponent. It should not be used that much.
try sparingly as in when you opponent uses a move with a lot of landing lag and it looks as if you were going to run away, spin back and Pivot walk chain grab

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Dash grab, pivot grab. Either way would've accomplished the same thing, but faster. The option to grab was always there, you turning around a few times didn't suddenly add the option.

If you're going to demonstrate something, demonstrate how it's useful, not how it's a less effective way of doing something else. It's easy to invent any random useless "technique" and just call it "mindgames." That doesn't make it good, nor does it make it a good mindgame.

If someone starts doing this to me, I don't stop and think "oh ****, he's turning around a lot, wtf should I do? What is HE going to do? Oh, god, I've been grabbed!" No. I'll continue doing what I was going to do.
Pointless technique is pointless.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I dont know about everyone else but I dont do it because it gives my opponent more time to predict my attack. And it also leaves me more vurneralbe for a attack. Im up going to turn around and turn back around my opponent is going to know im not just doing it for some stupid reason and he is going to respond to the pivot. The only characters that I can see this really helping in are for Marth since his blade relies soo heavily on the tipper/ sweet spot and Diddy Kong since he can use his bananas screw his opponent around and his side smash is good after pivoting.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
because there aren't many uses other than showing off, and if you're in a tourney match and you're showing off how will that help you at all?
Not necessarily. Bturns and B-reverse attacks are actually extremely useful, but the degree depends on the character. Some characters get nothing at all from it, however it greatly accelerates other characters' gameplay. With Snake I often pick up a grenade, jump forward and then B-reverse another grenade which allows me to keep my distance.

Panix

Smash Ace
This thread needs more captain falcon moon walking.

I don't Pivot walk because im snake, and if I do and I miss my bair, I get punished harddddddd.

I use B-reverse when falling from the air, pull a nade, b reverse, puts me in a wierd position, i get hit, but they do to, nice position for a bair.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Some characters get an extra slide out of a pivot shield.

like, pivot walk+shield and you slide a bit forward.

That, plus if they have a quick F-air and/or B-air (or a quick all-covering move) can mean they can safely pivot walk while invading the opponent's spacing further, since it helps to 'negate' or counter shield push a little bit.

Examples:
Marth's pivot walk/ pivot shield slide is pretty strong, and he has aerials that complement it pretty well.

Sonic also gets a noticeable shield slide, but at the most, he can like, N-air, U-air, or reverse F-air out of shield unless the opponent goes through the pivot shield or has a laggy move that he can B-air.

POKE40

Smash Lord
People do pivot walk...

I pivot walk anyways.
Due to better spacing. Specially with G&W spacing to Fsmash w/c-stick on that hated stage of FD :mad:

Usually I think if a G&W is not in the air. They are probably pivot walking.
Like you said. But pivot walking is used only in some circumstances.
So people do pivot walk. Just not a lot of times

Top Bottom