• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Nintendo never sponsor major tournaments?

Shadow Tactics

Smash Cadet
I used to play SSBB but I'm a SSF4 player now, and whenever I go to majors I usually see that Capcom helps to sponsor the event, provide some equipment and also use the tournament as a place to sell products, advertise new games/products with try out stalls etc. Usually with Blazblue, Tekken etc usually also being at these events, I sometimes see Namco and Arcsys helping out with their respective communities too.

How come Nintendo doesn't seem to do the same for majors at SSBB? Has anyone attempted to contact them about it, and if so what did they say?

I don't know too much about this issue to be honest, it could be a stupid question but it was something that randomly crossed my mind.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nintendo is more focused on their casual crowd for now..

as shown when Nintendo just completely ignored/refused MLG when they asked for stream rights to stream brawl. Had Nintendo actually done something for the competitive scene, who knows what would have happened :\

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Nintendo sees smash as a noncompetitive party game (the only official company who has seen this game as competitive was MLG and recently Capcom.) Nintendo simply doesn't care and they don't want smash to be seen as a competitive game.

TKila

Smash Apprentice
The only competitive game that Nintendo has is Pokemon.... they do really care about that D:

Smash is.. only a party game just for fun..... (what a shame :( )

Hope someday Nintendo change his mind.... who knows....

Jonas

Smash Champion
It's funny how there is such a thing as an unwanted fanbase.

I mean yeah if we were all neonazis or KKK members, I could see why they would try to distance themselves from us and clear any association with the competitive scene, but we simply try to enjoy the game in a way its makers did not intend.

Xubble

Smash Ace
"If you show up for your set, and the TO or at least five spectators find your aroma to be displeasing or to the point of being disruptive to your opponent, you will be disqualified from the tournament."

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I asked AlphaZealot about the MLG & Nintendo thing, and he told me that they asked Nintendo of Japan, and they say NO to EVERYTHING without even knowing/analizing the proposal. Also, as Brawl has characters from MANY series MLG had to ask to EVERY single company to have their character streamed at the their Events (Including companies as SEGA -Sonic- and Konami -Snake-) So, maybe one or two companies didn't allowed MLG to stream their character/s, and that was the reason of why MLG wasn't allowed to stream the Brawl tournaments... (they didn't have the rights to stream every character in the game).

Imagine, that, when MLG had Melee, they were able to stream the tournaments and save the videos of the matches for every single set of the tournament, and they also allowed everyone to watch the videos for free (Video On Demand). So Nintendo has actually supported competitive Smash in the past.

There are way too many reasons of why that happened with MLG. But I think that those are the main reasons. Now, why Nintendo doesn't support Brawl (in the present) is something I don't know.

Having Nintendo support would be awesome.. I wish that they would support the community in the future, who knows? Maybe we see a change with SSB4, or who knows, later in 2012 something happens... Anything can happen!

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
"If you show up for your set, and the TO or at least five spectators find your aroma to be displeasing or to the point of being disruptive to your opponent, you will be disqualified from the tournament."
I might might might quote this LOL

keeper

Smash Champion
I ****ing hate playing when I have to sit next to someone that just choked down multiple cigarettes before a set. Makes me mad and ****s me up.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Nintendo cares about the causal crowd. Their only interest is making money and not spending it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
They're petty dumb. It's not as if having a competitive scene prevents casual players from appreciating them as well. Pokemon is their only "competitive" game that they host tournaments for, and TONS of casual players still buy them. Also, Pokemon is a horrible game for competitive play anyways with all the hax that is built into the combat system.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I've done this. Someone had just taken a smoke break and I postponed the match because the smell was making me cough.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
like a month or so ago i read a article were the head of nintendo or some top person said something like (this is paraphrased) we never said we r focusing on only casual gamers then something about how the wii, the wiiu, the ds, and the 3ds will be able to hit all demographics. anyway it seemed to me the idea behind what he was saying was... the casual crowd is no longer poring money into us so we need more core gamers back. with this thought processes going on in nintendo it seems like now is the time to try to get them behind competitive melee and try to sell the idea to them like some kinda good will to the hardcore gaming community.

edit:
Nintendo sees smash as a noncompetitive party game (the only official company who has seen this game as competitive was MLG and recently Capcom.) Nintendo simply doesn't care and they don't want smash to be seen as a competitive game.
when did capcom see smash as competitive? and in what capacity did they do this?

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
like a month or so ago i read a article were the head of nintendo or some top person said something like (this is paraphrased) we never said we r focusing on only casual gamers then something about how the wii, the wiiu, the ds, and the 3ds will be able to hit all demographics. anyway it seemed to me the idea behind what he was saying was... the casual crowd is no longer poring money into us so we need more core gamers back. with this thought processes going on in nintendo it seems like now is the time to try to get them behind competitive melee and try to sell the idea to them like some kinda good will to the hardcore gaming community.

edit:

when did capcom see smash as competitive? and in what capacity did they do this?
"When asked by destructoid what he thought of brawl, including if it was a real fighting game, Capcom's Seth Killian said:"

http://wii.mmgn.com/News/Capcom-admit-SSBB-is-a-real-fi

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
"When asked by destructoid what he thought of brawl, including if it was a real fighting game, Capcom's Seth Killian said:"

http://wii.mmgn.com/News/Capcom-admit-SSBB-is-a-real-fi
thanks, but i googled it and found it last night. the google search sent me to a thread on srk or whatever the abbreviation for the street fighter website is. Anyway while on that site i was reading some of the post about the article and it was cool to see that in fact many of the street fighter people do in fact recognize melee as a legit game. reading most of the comments made me think maybe we should try to become friendlier with the street fighter community and try to get melee back at evo or something. (aware its probable a unpopular opinion) (i just feel a good way to keep melee going strong is to get into a tourney like evo maybe get some sf people to start playing melee and stuff like that)

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I was looking at this thread, and I figured its funny. If this game weren't competitive, I wouldn't even bother playing this game. I mean I'd play it when it came out, but I would probably only play it for 2 months or so and stop and only play it when friends came over, kind of like Rock Band or something.

I'm not really sure why Nintendo doesn't want to sponsor smash events though. I'm sure they aware of these type of events, I mean gamestop held that nationwide smash tourney thing when it first came out. Its not like being competitive makes the game bad in any way, more so it only supports it.

Nintendo makes some great games, but the way they manage their business is sometimes ********.

Top Bottom