• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone hate Ike? (Discussion Over)

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Most of the people I've encountered constantly rip on him and call him names all the time, much like my idiot friend who calls him "noob character" and "rigged" and "overkill" all the time. At first, I thought it was just him, but there are just so many people who hate Ike and I don't understand why. So why?!

Tenki

Smash Hero
Almost everyone looking to main an overpowered good character in March>April went flocking to Ike before they found out that Fsmash was easy to avoid `.`;

Alot of the old good Ike community left Ike because he was too 'simple'- no AT's were found (unless you wanna count using QD's nearly-lagless finish to use it for approach/movement), and it seemed like "everything you see now is all you'll ever see" for Ike, and thus abandoned him as a simple 'noob killer'.

If they believe that he's still overpowered/overkill, they're just being stupid and scrubby.

peNNy

Smash Cadet
Its so sad... Ike could be so much better and cooler and so on... i just want to learn new things... i don´t say, that I mastered Ike completely... but I can do all this techniques... just not perfect.. i want to learn new, things that make Ike interesting again =O

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Alot of the old good Ike community left Ike because he was too 'simple'.
I actually left him for almost a month because of the people complaining about him. And then I learned to feed off of their hate, simultaneously attempting to show them that he's not rigged, but that they just suck. According to you, that's everybody I fight. How sad; I'm never going to get good with THAT kind of opposition.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
As Tenki said, a lot of people thought he was amazing because of his killing power. I post at a Fire Emblem board, and when Brawl was released here, people there went CRAZY over him. (Ironically, nobody cared about Marth beyond Ike > Marth posts.)

Then there's the fact that people cling to his stupid quotes like they're the second coming of your god or a lack of one.

Then there's the fact that he is (was) incredibly popular in those first days, and I swear that for at least two weeks straight, there was always at least one Ike player in my WiFi battles; two or three wasn't unusual, either. ALL of them played the same scrubby way. I don't mean to insult people's playing styles (well I just did), but honestly, if you just played a level 9 Ike + all of the scrubby players, you'd know at least half of what Ike could pull off.

THEN there's the fact that this board sucks. Not to troll or anything, but most threads that I click when I make my once a week trip to this board degrade into a flamewar full of pointless arguments and Rok the Reaper. They're terrible, and if you're looking to get any real hope from Ike players, this isn't the place to go.

I'm not excusing those who mock Ike players who actually try to play him effectively... but I am saying that the ratio of noobish players to Ike players with a decent strategy is vast compared to most characters, based off of my own personal experience.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
As much as I'd hate to compare Ike to Roy, Ike is just Roy all over again. He is not as good as Marth and all the new people go flocking to him thinking he is amazing.

What Raphael said is true as well, the board sucks, the only good topics are two of the stickies and sometimes a good topic will pop up but it does not last long. Also, no one can see him improving in any way, there have been no techniques discovered, it looks like he will forever be in the low or mid tier, and he has a tough time or is even with most of the cast.

His quotes have become jokes, newbs love to use him/complain about him, no one expects anything from him, not even this board. Just like those that like to call Metaknight broken, it's just how people look at him.

Tenki

Smash Hero
As much as I'd hate to compare Ike to Roy, Ike is just Roy all over again. He is not as good as Marth and all the new people go flocking to him thinking he is amazing.

What Raphael said is true as well, the board sucks, the only good topics are two of the stickies and sometimes a good topic will pop up but it does not last long. Also, no one can see him improving in any way, there have been no techniques discovered, it looks like he will forever be in the low or mid tier, and he has a tough time or is even with most of the cast.

His quotes have become jokes, newbs love to use him/complain about him, no one expects anything from him, not even this board. Just like those that like to call Metaknight broken, it's just how people look at him.
In a sense, yes, he is like Roy. However, he's not a clone of Marth, and his gameplay/range make him a very different character, playstyle and all taken into account.

Really, aside from the magnet effect, he's only like Roy because he has the phire :[

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
In a sense, yes, he is like Roy. However, he's not a clone of Marth, and his gameplay/range make him a very different character, playstyle and all taken into account.

Really, aside from the magnet effect, he's only like Roy because he has the phire :[
When I said that I ment that Ike is Roy in how people look at him, the inferior Fire Emblem character that the newbs all like. I guess I did not convey that as well as I wanted.

XACE-K

Smash Master

Agree with this entirely.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I was here before launch, I knew he wouldn't end up too good, and I saw all the noobs lining up.

For a while I thought I was wrong about him and put him in high tier...big mistake there.

Ike is noob bait. He's got a sword, he's relatively easy to use, and he kills nubs like no one else.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike is noob bait. He's got a sword, he's relatively easy to use, and he kills nubs like no one else.
That basically says it all. Everyone thinks he's super-awesome cause noobs run (or trip) right into that F-Smash.

I'd want to say Ike is still a good character though, but he has too much against him. If only he was a bit faster. :ohwell:

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
When Brawl came out, people only wanted to main Ike or at least use him for his raw power. I actually knew people who was intimitated by Ike's strength and view him as god. Quite shameful really, but then again I couldn't blame them seeing how Ike was portrayed as a god-like warrior before the release. It took them a while to understand that he's not all that he's cracked up to be.

And as for Ike being the new Roy, that explains the existance of half the members on the Ike boards. Sad really, but thats how things are.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else notice how Ike isn't or hasn't been the only noob-magnet since release? The only way to get through it is patience & time. MK(no flames please) had a similar problem during release, which has recently fired up again since the discovery of the now-banned stalling tech with his down-b. Case in point, there's noobs & flamers everywhere, just work through it. ^_^

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I always thought that Wolf was the character that noobs flocked to at release. I could never pinpoint why, but I did notice a similar thing with Ike. Both popularities seem to have subsided, though. Quite annoying, really, as it makes me question why I picked Ike. Mainly because I saw his Eruption and Aether and thought they were incredibly epic, so I looked into it. That's about it, really.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
i barely remmember my first time using ike , all i remmember is that at school at the time of the release , my friend said '' if you ever play brawl just use ike , hes dam powerfull'' so then after ma homie bought it i was attracted to ike immediately lol , then i just didnt use anyelse , thats my story,now the people hating is because their char isnt up for God tier. so its all good

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
YEAH, IKE IS UP FOR GOD TIER.

... That is exactly why people look down upon the poor lord.

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
Because every time on Wifi you trip and Ike charges an Fsmash right next to you, you know you are dead since even if you mash the shield button, your insanely quick reflexes are nothing compared to the mighty input lag of Wifi. That's why Ike is so good on Wifi, noobs are attracted to them, etc. And he's relatively easy to use.

Offline, however, Ike is much easier to beat.

Tenki

Smash Hero
eh? Normally if I'm playing on Wifi, I'm already doing a bunch of inputs ahead of time, so if I trip, I'm already starting to roll or get-up attack.

`.`;

However, it's really stupid when I'm trying to run feint an Ike/whatever character into using a fsmash, try to turn around when I'm in range, and trip into it instead lol.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
It appears everyone just hates his near-godly Fsmash, lol. I'm seeing no other argument, and it's not like his Fsmash is, uhm, fast or anything, so come on.

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
I used to main Ike and used him quite alot on Wi-fi. Whenever I saw a nubby Ike I would go up to him, and beat his ***. It was fun, and I even made it a point not to use his Fsmash (because it's so godly in button lag). But then I switched to Marth after seeing how truly simple and noob friendly Ike was.

Tipper Fsmash is so much more satisfying :laugh:

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
Ike's fsmash is weakest at it's tip, though.
Oh really? That's interesting...He has a humongous sword, so I guess it depends on the size of the tip.

And I'm feelin pretty bored, so here's an Fsmash comparison.

Marth:

Pro's-
-Fast
-Great power when tipped
-Good damage

Con's-
-Hard to tip
-Non tipped only gives decent power
-Is punishable when shielded

Ike:

Pro's-
-Power is like getting hit by a truck filled with nukes
-Great damage

Con's-
-Uber slow
-Predictable
-Extremely punishable

Also, did anyone else notice that all of Ike's sword attacks make a cannon like noise?

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Also, did anyone else notice that all of Ike's sword attacks make a cannon like noise?
Yes I did. It certainly adds to the satisfaction of hitting someone :)
Also, quite accurate comparison, though I never noticed the good damage Marth's Fsmash deals. I'll have to look into that.

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
Marth's tipper Fsmash does 19% undiminished and reg does 14%
Ike's tipper Fsmash does 17% (22% above him) undiminished and reg does 20%
Oh wow, I was horribly off on the percentages. I was thinkin Marth's tipper was 21%, and Ike's was around 25% percent. Go me :laugh:

~Edited comparison~

Marth's Fsmash:

Pros-
-Fast
-Great power when tipped
-Good damage when tipped

Con's-
-Hard to tip
-Non tipped only gives decent power
-Is punishable when shielded

Ike's Fsmash:

Pro's-
-Power is like getting hit by a truck filled with nukes
-Great damage

Con's-
-Uber slow
-Predictable
-Extremely punishable
-Tip is weaker

I might do one of these on their full movesets sometime :)

JSLink

Smash Rookie
I thought about leaving Ike for Marth, then I realized, Ike is the character for me. Ike's biggest asset is not knowing what the expect since everyone seems to think he's broken.

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
Most people hate Ike because almost every single one of his attacks sends you flying off the stage. People think he's cheap. Most people spam his smash attacks, which is why people hate him.

However, Ike can possibly be a really good character when used correctly. I've seen a few pros with Ike and they can kill you so easily without being cheap. They can use Ike's weakest attacks to kill you in a couple of minutes...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I thought about leaving Ike for Marth, then I realized, Ike is the character for me. Ike's biggest asset is not knowing what the expect since everyone seems to think he's broken.
Most people hate Ike because almost every single one of his attacks sends you flying off the stage. People think he's cheap. Most people spam his smash attacks, which is why people hate him.

However, Ike can possibly be a really good character when used correctly. I've seen a few pros with Ike and they can kill you so easily without being cheap. They can use Ike's weakest attacks to kill you in a couple of minutes...
Ike, broken? Cheap?

Not at all.

Most competitive players just think Ike sucks because his AT/metagame hasn't made significant development for a while.

It's generally scrubby bad players that pull the "omg ike is cheap and broken" crap.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Fighting someone who only uses Counter can be annoying. But I can't really see any other reason to hate Ike. That is, unless you're too stupid to shield.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Why would you revive this topic by posting such a ridiculously meaningless thing?

Why would I chastise you and thus fall into the trap of hypocrisy that I'd set for myself simply by opening this topic to see what worthless discussion was going on?

Why am I still talking?

Top Bottom