• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Doc have more range?

xelados

Smash Rookie
I'm a casual Mario player (among my Link and Pichu), and I've noticed that not only do Mario and Doc's ftilt have broken priority (cancels Link's frontal moves if they don't go completely through, haven't seen a single move it won't cancel), but it seems that they're too long. Particularly, Doc's leg is longer than Mario's. Why, when it's the exact same character with some speed and power changes?

I've also noticed that Doc's sheet gets much longer "reflect time" than Mario's cape. His sheet can be almost completely gone and still reflect things. It's pretty broken.

My main question is why is Doc so broken? You'd think that with Mario's lower strength that he could use more range. I've seen ftilt and the cape/sheet hit when the polygons didn't strike the opponent at all. It seems like both moves have a disjointed hitbox when ftilt at the very least shouldn't.

Any suggestions for combating Doc efficiently? He's supposed to be slower, but my stepdad plays Doc faster. I've mained Pichu(and experiment with Falco) so I know how to be pretty quick.. Mario's supposed to be faster, too. Either I'm doing something wrong, or Doc is somehow broken.

Edit: My stepdad isn't very good at the game. He spams Doc's pills and plays cat and mouse all the time. I beat him just fine but he's annoying as hell. He shouldn't be, because I know much more about the game. He barely ever airdodges, can't wavedash, almost never rolls, and doesn't L-cancel. You'd think I'd have plenty of time to capitalize, but I don't. I fight him better as Link (thanks to range).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fortunately your F-smash outranges almost everything else Doc has lol.

Your Fireballs also have longer range. ><

xelados

Smash Rookie
My fsmash is slower than his ftilt, and my fireballs are only useful to interrupt and start a combo...

Maybe I just need practice or something. Spamming my fireballs gets me nowhere. They just don't annoy enough and he abuses the sheet whenever he can.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Reflecting Pills is awesome keep in mind. But yeah, Pills are sorta broken. You're not the only one that finds them ultra annoying. >_>

You do know how to combo with Mario well enough right? And understand that the key to beating Doc is getting him off the stage and keeping him there?

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Use Marth. Unless you really want to stick with Mario that is. Anyways, Marth has way more range and is simply, well, better.

Gea

Smash Master
wait. doc has more range because his F.TILT is longer?

are you serious? XD

Doc is BROKEN!?are you serious?! XD

DUDE PILLS ARE WORSE THAN SHEIK'S FTILT AND GAWD DOC'S FTILT HAS THE RANGE OF MARTH'S FSMASH :(

<.<

But seriously guys.

Mario isn't really faste r(2 frames on certain aerials) and Doc really isn't stronger.

That aside just play the range game. Fireballs work better in this matchup than pills and your fsmash can get him when he dsmashes. But since you are both nublets it'll be easier to just play Marth.

Seriously.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you are serious about improving with Mario, though, you want to stay moving, and hit those pesky pills with an A(or Ftilt if farther away) or cape when they come close. When he's not spamming pills, concentrate on moving alot, alternately DDing and WDing to keep him guessing about whne you will strike so that he wil throw out an unessecary(crap I can't spell that word!) Ftilt or whatever, and that's whne you punish him with an aerial or JC grab.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
omg man this is ...lol man

Doc has more range? and you say the FTilt is faster?? WELL ****!!! Your ftilt also has kick *** range!!! so use it if you MUST

i would say if the doc is using ftilt then he pretty much sucks and the solution to that problem ist Fsmash his *** or fireball him or just ****in SHIELD it and grab him start a kick *** combo looolz

Doc is slower than mario...i dunno Gea is right though but somehow when i play doc i play much slower but thats probably coz i dont play doc lol

so yeah ...thats all folks! >_>

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Use Marth. Unless you really want to stick with Mario that is. Anyways, Marth has way more range and is simply, well, better.
Thanks for that little nugget of joy. I think he wanted to know how to beat his stepdad with MARIO, not some other high tier. The best way to go in this kind of match is to abuse your C-stick. The way that these types of matches go against casual players is; the more technical and advanced you try to play, the worse you're punished for it. Pick FD and Fsmash/Dsmash him to death. Cape his pills and keep your approach simple.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
False your title. =)
as A2ZOMG has mentioned, Fsmash out ranges every move of Doc's.

but that doesn't mean that you should abuse it or something. time it correctly.
make Doc to use his smash attack and space well to avoid it right in front of him to use Fsmash.

except that... other moves have same range. so..Mindgame the crap out of that doc.

thrawn45

Smash Rookie
The best way to go in this kind of match is to abuse your C-stick. The way that these types of matches go against casual players is; the more technical and advanced you try to play, the worse you're punished for it. Pick FD and Fsmash/Dsmash him to death. Cape his pills and keep your approach simple.
very true, just don't let doc get too far away from you. Fight him up close so that he doesn't have a chance to abuse his pills as much.

Top Bottom