• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play as Sheik???

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
yah, i'd rather fight a lightweight any day -___- it gets frustrating when the heavy weights are at 140% or above and they are still chugging along

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Because when shes dressed im black she looks like a ninja.

And Tilt combos are so easy, and possibly even more more annoying than DDDs chaingrabbing.

Uair combos are satisfying aswell :)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Seems to me Sheik does good against heavier cast.
TiltChaining gets them tons 0f %s and heavier chars dont have really good projectiles (DDDs buddies, Bowsers firebreath) that compete with needles. Even if you don´t gimp them, Zelda can KO them at reasonable %s.

I play Sheik because I love her(?) playstyle. She has a lot of nifty tricks, like needleslide, chaintricks, tilt combos (the footstool combo is cool also), upB stuff and gimping... + Zelda.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
yah, i'd rather fight a lightweight any day -___- it gets frustrating when the heavy weights are at 140% or above and they are still chugging along
My point exactly. Plus, they're killing you at much lower %.
And Tilt combos are so easy, and possibly even more more annoying than DDDs chaingrabbing.
DDD's CG is much more reliable.
Uair combos are satisfying aswell :)
Uair combos... don't exist.
TiltChaining gets them tons 0f %s
But... it doesn't >_>
and heavier chars dont have really good projectiles (DDDs buddies, Bowsers firebreath) that compete with needles.
Most characters in general don't...

2PIMP

Smash Rookie
I don't wanna go with the simple awnser of 'OMG NINJA'S ARE COOL!!!'
But yeah... They are cool.

Not to say thats WHY i use Shiek, but to be honest I only recently started using her in brawl. Mainly because I got mad at the fact that she isn't as good as she was in melee, but I realized that Sheik can't do it alone, thus I seen the relevence in Zelda. Which is wierd to me because I never switched to her in melee, cause I always got my butt kicked when I did.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
My point exactly. Plus, they're killing you at much lower %.

DDD's CG is much more reliable.

Uair combos... don't exist.

But... it doesn't >_>

Most characters in general don't...

I JUST love how you are complaining about Sheik/Zelda.................. JK

I can kind of see what you are talking about thou, I am really starting to hate fighting heavier characters and also Diddy Kong.

Is there any characters that counter Diddy or is Sheik good against her?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I main sheik because none of my friends believe she could be used well. So now im out to prove them wrong just how i proved them wrong with mewtwo but that took months of beat downs.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I have a hypothesis which I am unwilling to discuss that the smaller the character, the better is it to be Sheik, and the larger the character, the better it is to be Zelda, where size is defined by height, relative to Mario as an average.

demodemo

Smash Ace
wat

sheik and zelda both do well against big characters, and notably worse against smaller ones

however sheik has a better time against small ones compared to zelda, mainly because of lightning kick

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
Wow, forgot i posted this, I like how everyone is taking intrest into this topic (coming from a guy thats been looking at Smashboards forever and just started to get his name out)

New reasons why i like to play sheik is because of the f-tilts on snake, her down-b move sets, vanish glide, and DACUS, the Snake like super dash attack

Here is a vid that shows what chars can do it, maybe not complete yet because brawl is 1/2 a year old

To do the DACUS (which is the Snake thingy), you at least need to turn tap jump off. You can do this with many chars

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k

How i do it i set R to attack instead of grab, dash then pusch down on the c-stick and up on the controll stick (hold both), then press R

The timing is kind of hard to get and I thought it was near impossible, but you will get comfortable

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You're a couple of months behind with that news... heh.

There's an old thread about mastering it which helped a lot of people.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I don't care about all this crap.
Actually I do, just live with this statement;

Who doesn't want to main a delecate princess's alter-ego, a ninja-esque warrior that most people who haven't played LoZ think is a man?

(Sheik is rather flat and manly, more so than Princess Martha).*overused joke

demodemo

Smash Ace
Because you say so?
*shrugs* well in my own experience yes, but I have also heard others on the sheik boards mentioning this. I'm sure there are many others that agree with me.

Nearly all of sheik's attacks come out and end quite quickly, and the larger characters are usually slower and more clunky, allowing sheik to deal damage quite comfortably without getting damaged too much. Also, big characters are usually heavier, allowing long tilt locks that are easy to follow up because they are so big.

Zelda players don't rely on Fair/Bair as much as they used to fyi.
probably not, but any large character is more prone to a lightning kick. it's a fact, so that is automatically an advantage.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
You're a couple of months behind with that news... heh.

There's an old thread about mastering it which helped a lot of people.
Dude just letting other who may have not played as her much (AKA me) and are still learing the tricks this news. I'm also geussing a lot of them might visit this page and people keep asking me how to preform it and I was just saying the easiest way I have done it and why I am loving her even more. I know i am still new and learnig things like the chain jackets, and other things keep comming up.

just letting people who dont know find it out...

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I play as Sheik as necessity to Zelda. She fixes my matchup problems and allows me to change the pace and usually the outlook of an entire match. So much speed and combo ability with Sheik, and then the raw killing magic of Zelda. It's wonderful.

uberlock

Smash Rookie
I main Sheik becuase I just generally enjoy her. Once you get past her slight lack of approach, and start ranking up awesome combos, I find she is one of the most entertaining characters to play. And ofc switching to Zelda to get the KO's is just down right fun, especially when all it takes is a single up-smash.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
*shrugs* well in my own experience yes, but I have also heard others on the sheik boards mentioning this. I'm sure there are many others that agree with me.
I doubt people who matter would agree.
Nearly all of sheik's attacks come out and end quite quickly, and the larger characters are usually slower and more clunky, allowing sheik to deal damage quite comfortably without getting damaged too much. Also, big characters are usually heavier, allowing long tilt locks that are easy to follow up because they are so big.
I expected you to say something like that.
Sure, sheik's moves come out quickly, but they are lacking in both damage and knockback. Larger characters are slower but have more MUCH range and knockback. Also, most of there attacks come out fast enough, hence them being some of the most dominate characters in the game. Also, weight =/= how long you're stuck a tilt lock, that wouldn't explain how Fox and Sheik stay it in for so long. Heavy characters, at least most of them, surprisingly get out pretty early.
Reason why Sheik isn't that good against heavy characters = she can't kill them, she's outranged, she doesn't have good enough moves to trade hits with them (lol @ combos), she gets killed at much lower %, and so forth. She needs Zelda.
probably not, but any large character is more prone to a lightning kick. it's a fact, so that is automatically an advantage.
I forgot that being a large character negates inputs for moving your character.

Doesn't MK have a hard time against DK and Snake? Pretty sure any one of MK's moves are easy to land on such big targets, no?

/wth @ your logic

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
So, tell me NJz...

Is there absolutely anything in this world that you and another have agreed upon?

As a side note, you don't need to put tap jump off to DACUS. You can do it with default settings.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
So, tell me NJz...

Is there absolutely anything in this world that you and another have agreed upon?

As a side note, you don't need to put tap jump off to DACUS. You can do it with default settings.
o i know, it just makes it a bit easier to get use to it and preform, instead of jumping when you dont need to

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
nobody mentioned her roots from Ocarina of Time?
it started there for me...i was intrigued by this character in the game and just really liked her look (note my display pic)

then i liked her in melee b/c of her speed and flowing play style...i couldn't stop playing her in Brawl

popsofctown

Smash Champion
My true answer to OP: I enjoy playing Zelda, a whole lot. Sheik adds the "win" to Zelda improving many many matchups, and she's rather fun to play too.

demodemo

Smash Ace
I doubt people who matter would agree.
well, okay

Sure, sheik's moves come out quickly, but they are lacking in both damage and knockback. Larger characters are slower but have more MUCH range and knockback. Also, most of there attacks come out fast enough, hence them being some of the most dominate characters in the game. Also, weight =/= how long you're stuck a tilt lock, that wouldn't explain how Fox and Sheik stay it in for so long. Heavy characters, at least most of them, surprisingly get out pretty early.
*shrugs* according to myself and some others, high tier large characters like snake/dedede/DK have trouble getting out of ftilts. Maybe it's their falling speed, but i think there is a relation between falling speed and weight.

Attacking back requires a fast attack, and most large characters lack an aerial fast enough to compete with sheik's. (bairs maybe, but they are usually situational and not always viable)

I forgot that being a large character negates inputs for moving your character.
Doesn't MK have a hard time against DK and Snake? Pretty sure any one of MK's moves are easy to land on such big targets, no?
Err, it is easier to sweetspot a forward air/backair against large characters. That is what i meant by the lightning kick. Maybe it's just me? :dizzy:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
*shrugs* according to myself and some others, high tier large characters like snake/dedede/DK have trouble getting out of ftilts. Maybe it's their falling speed, but i think there is a relation between falling speed and weight.
They don't, it's falling speed, not weight + decent DI.
Attacking back requires a fast attack, and most large characters lack an aerial fast enough to compete with sheik's. (bairs maybe, but they are usually situational and not always viable)
Most large characeters don't need a fast aerial...
Example: Snakes, Donkey Kong's, and DDD's Forward tilts are AMAZING approaches...
Also, last time I checked, DK's and DDD's bairs weren't "simply situational and not always viable".
As mentioned before, if MK struggles with large characters, isn't that enough? lol
Err, it is easier to sweetspot a forward air/backair against large characters. That is what i meant by the lightning kick. Maybe it's just me? :dizzy:
Easier but still nothing guaranteed. Lighting kicks are harder to land regardless of the matchup, hence our more experienced Zelda players not using it nearly as much as they did in Melee (plus how much slower it is now).

Top Bottom