• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Main Your Main?

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Link, despite being low on "tier lists", is just more fun to me than most of the other characters
Game and Watch is such a novelty to me and after watching that "History of SSBM" video about him back in the heyday of youtube I just gained an appreciation of how much detail they put into a single fighter.
Also Dedede because King Dedede is hilarious

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
:4roy: Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! :4roy:

Joking aside, I actually just don't really get bored of the way they play. They're also my only consistent character at this point so I feel like putting them down would be a horrible idea.

I actually started playing Roy after the Koopalings got some playable recognition in MK8. I'm already a huge Bowser fan so obviously I had to pick a favourite Koopaling. Didn't know I'd eventually come to prefer him over Bowser though, but I was happy to find they were just as fun to play in Smash too when the game rolled around.

Roy is super

Routa

Smash Lord
Well I dual main Mii Gunner and Wario.

There is a list of things which I require from the character I play to have.
- Spacing Fair
- Good mobility on ground (not too fast or slow)
- Above average recovery
- Good edgeguarding/ledgeguarding game
- Multiple ways to kill
- Simple gameplan
- Options against shields
- Feels "right"

Both Gunner and Wario check in on all thous things. There are other characters that come to close to fill all thous criterions like Swordspider (lacks options against shields), Brawler (lacks multiple ways to kill, options against shields and good edgeguarding/ledgeguarding game), Link (lacks options against shields and above average recovery) and Ganondorf (lacks good ground mobility and above average recovery).

Always been a fan of "oddball" characters. I also like how much "diversity" there is within the Mii mains. By this I mean there are specific sets that are known to be used by certain players.
And Wario is Wario. Best playable Waifu in game (Rip Waluigi)

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Well I dual main Mii Gunner and Wario.

There is a list of things which I require from the character I play to have.
- Spacing Fair
- Good mobility on ground (not too fast or slow)
- Above average recovery
- Good edgeguarding/ledgeguarding game
- Multiple ways to kill
- Simple gameplan
- Options against shields
- Feels "right"

Both Gunner and Wario check in on all thous things. There are other characters that come to close to fill all thous criterions like Swordspider (lacks options against shields), Brawler (lacks multiple ways to kill, options against shields and good edgeguarding/ledgeguarding game), Link (lacks options against shields and above average recovery) and Ganondorf (lacks good ground mobility and above average recovery).

Always been a fan of "oddball" characters. I also like how much "diversity" there is within the Mii mains. By this I mean there are specific sets that are known to be used by certain players.
And Wario is Wario. Best playable Waifu in game (Rip Waluigi)
Um... sounds like you would main villager.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
That's what I was thinking, but I main Villager, so...

Also, I don't know if he would think Villager "feels right."
Yeah lol
I main kirby as my 2nd main because he's just generally fun to play as. He has plenty of combos and his multi jab is really good.

Routa

Smash Lord
Villager doesn't feel right sadly. Also I find his options against shields lacking. Fun character nevertheless.

Flatmesa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flatmeysa
3DS FC
2191-8449-3854
:4greninja:because of the footstool combos, fastfall uair, shuriken, and gimping with Hydro Pump.
:4shulk:because of his Monado Arts, gimping with fair, MALLC, and his auto-cancelling nair.
:4marth:because of his tipper and approach options.
:4lucina:because she is almost like Marth except she doesn't have a tipper, she deals a bit more damage than Marth when he doesn't land an attack with his tipper, and I needed a Smash 4 waifu.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been a fan of the Metroid series since 1994 when I first played Super Metroid. When Super Smash Bros. was announced for the Nintendo 64 and I had no other way to play as Samus, I mained her. She's been my main ever since.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
I main :4link: and :4marth: because
The Legend of Zelda was one of the first franchises I played growing up, and when Melee came out, I used Link.
Once I unlocked Marth, I was really interested in him and I loved playing as him. But I didn't play Fire Emblem until years later with Radiant Dawn I didn't play one of Marth's games, Shadow Dragon, until much later. Link and Marth are just some of my favorite characters in their franchises, and my favorite smash characters. TLoZ and FE are my top 2 Nintendo games. I just enjoy them a lot. I've mained them since Melee and haven't changed mains since.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Day One
:4lucina:: Liked her design and the idea of the tragic heroine from the future. That's pretty cool. I also like her character too and her moveset's easily my most favorite.

Secondary
:4corrinf:: Honestly, I just like how she looked. I liked particularly her armor and hair as it makes her elegant and strong. She's starting to turn boring though, both design and move-set. Might even think of dropping her. But really, her song, side-b and recovery options were what impressed me at all. I don't know. We'll see, though I barley play Sm4sh nowadays.

Pockets
:4ryu:: I really think this guy is awesome. I like how he's one of the most difficult characters to play. Makes sense though, since he's from a technical series I've been constantly wanting to get into. I've was a former martial artist but still love martial arts to this day. Easily my most favorite newcomer both DLC and non-DLC.
:4tlink:: Wind Waker was my most favorite game out of all Zelda games and still remains top 5 in my list. Would definitely and buy the HD Remaster just so I can go on adventures sailing in that big ocean world. Can't see myself dropping him ever.

Erucidator

Smash Rookie
Oracle of Ages is one of my favorite games and I'd just beaten A Link Between Worlds. I like Link, but I could never main him. I also tend to like to pick smaller characters (My character in ffxiv is a Lalafell) so he just clicks.

I switch between characters sometimes, and there are reasons for all of them, but this is why I picked Toon Link.

TowerLight

Smash Cadet
:4bayonetta2:Bought her thinking she'd be fun and boy was I right,combing the **** out of people is fun and witch time is icing in the cake.
:4yoshi:An overrall fun character. Plus neutral-B over the edge if the stage is super evil,noting beats doing a jig after voring someone to their doom.
:4ganondorf:Nothing quite beats landing an up tilt or neutral B and watching someone vanish like an Australian prime minister.

diamondhunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sonicdude52
3DS FC
5413-0389-5560
:4villager:
I remember seeing the first trailer for Smash 4. When I saw that Villager was playable, I was so hyped. I immediately wanted to learn how to play him. And I did.

MaskedMyster

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheEz2
3DS FC
3883-6009-1782
Switch FC
SW-6621-2878-6496
Ooh, this should be fun... I'll stick to my main and sub-main as to not overload anyone with info that they don't really care to have.

:4dedede:: Dedede. I main this doof because he's funny, he feels rewarding as all get-out, and I just love the guy and the series he hails from. I actually picked him up in the early days of Sm4sh, dropped him for a while, and got him back fairly recently. And I'm never dropping him again. Gotta say though, watching higher-level Dedede play from the likes of Girthquake really helped me improve with the character.

:4lucina:/:4marth:: Starting off, I've never played Fire Emblem. I don't even really care about it. But Marth was such a neat character to me in Melee, so I've always sort of liked him. Sort of. The thing is, I sucked with Marth, both in Melee and Brawl. Then Sm4sh came about, and with it: Lucina. Lucina helped me get a hold of the moveset without having me suffer so much due to improper spacing. Even though I've gotten much better with Marth after I played Lucina, I still usually go with Lucina just so I don't have to worry about "The Tipper Range" all the time. And yes, I know I'm "Bad at the game because I can't space properly" but hey, how 'bout you shush? :dkmelee:

*edit* As of today, my Sub-Main is now Luigi. As for why, he's the most fun I've had with a character in quite a while, and I'm already quite used to him

Last edited:

Petersheikah

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucaCucua
I main:4myfriends: and :4samus:

Before Super Smash Bros Brawl I had no idea who those character were, I just mained Ike because I loved swords and Marth wasn't badass enough for me. I sticked with him because I love his voice acting and overall sound design. Each and every move feels rewarding to hit because of Ike's insane strength and sound effects which make the sword really feel heavy and powerful.

In Sm4sh I picked up Samus as a secondary because I absolutely love her moveset. Each move is so unique and unusual, I have the most fun when playing her.

For these reasons I eventually became a fan of both Fire Emblem and Metroid. I've played Fates and Shadow Dragon, along with Metroid Prime on Dolphin.

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Kirby is straight satanic. Not because he's up there in terms of viability, but because the ability he has to trigger your opponent when played right. This entertaining triggering is multiplied by magnitudes when the opponent has the "Kirby's for casuals" and/or "Kirby is low-tier trash" bias and makes the mistake of playing Fox or Falcon against you.

AH

YES

FEED ME YOUR SALT

Last edited:

NumberDerp

Smash Rookie
I main Ness and Mr. Game and Watch. I started maining Ness because when I got Brawl, I was like, 9 or something, and when I unlocked Ness, I felt really satisfied and that's why I picked him up. And this is also why I love Smash, it introduced me to now what is my favorite game series, Earthbound. The reason I main Mr. Game and Watch is because I'm retro like that.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I wanted a character to complete my trio of low-tiers ( :4zelda: :4jigglypuff: and another one) and Link stuck. Since then I've been super dedicated to him, and he's the character that's clicked the most for me.

Vestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kittari
Ah, my trio of fighters. :4miisword: , :4miibrawl: , and :4miigun:

Historically, I've always been a :4kirby: main. However, the Mii Fighters are the very first playable characters that are here to represent the Smash Bros. franchise. Not to mention they're the first time the disposable Multi-Man Melee mooks are playable. Unrelated to Smash, but I've always loved the mass-produced mooks in Mecha anime. The FIGHTING MII TEAM really feel like they're those mass-produced underlings thrown at the heroes in large quantities. The everyman going up against the extraordinary. The underdogs. The fact that their shtick is to be built to my tastes is also really neat, so I decided to relegate trusty ol' :4kirby: to a Secondary, and roll with the FIGHTING MII TEAM as my tri-mains.

And then all the ruleset drama rears its ugly head and I have a really hard time going to events and stuff.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
:4mario:He's really rewarding to play and really the only top tier I enjoy. He's especially rewarding when you can land one of those super long combo strings on stage or when getting edgeguards. Offstage gimping people with cape and fluud is super fun, as is the occasional dthrow to fair spike.

:4wario:Bite is super fun, forces your opponent to play a much more honest neutral because they can't abuse shield. I really enjoy that. And landing waft is definitely the most rewarding move to land in the game to me. Especially when you get it in by using one of the rarer confirms, or clutch out a tourney game with it. Unfortunately I'm playing Wario less and less because he's becoming less and less viable...mostly because of Bayo, Mewtwo, Diddy and Cloud's emergence. I also really enjoy the comedy aspect of the character, his victory screens are great.

Last edited:

TowerLight

Smash Cadet
:4yoshi: I've always been a fan of Yoshi in the main games,plus he's just really fun to play as in Smash
:4bayonetta2: Fun to do combos,and witch time is super fun to use n abuse

Last edited:

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
I main Marth. The reason I main him is because he has long range and good spacing, and also because he was my main in previous smash games (Melee, brawl). And who doesn't love his shield breaker :V

AlexJ15

Smash Cadet
Despite never playing a single Final Fantasy game, I main Cloud. He is top tier and easy to use (therefore, easy to play at a high level). He is also fun to use.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
:4charizard:It just kind of happened. I mained Pokemon Trainer and Lucario back when I was a casual Brawl player, and I played Zard for fun time to time when I first picked up Smash 4. It had been ages since I played Brawl, and at first he felt clunky to me, but after a while I just found myself selecting him more than most and I just stuck with it. Even though I've always picked Bulbasaur in the main series pokemon games, I'm really attached to Smash Zard now and would probably still main him even if Ivysaur came back.
:4mewtwo:Largely impart because of character loyalty. Ever since I was a kid I thought Mewtwo was cool, and even today, I still think he's cool. I never played Melee, but the idea of playing as Mewtwo in Smash still sounded amazing to me for the novelty of it all, and I was thrilled to see him return as DLC. It really helps that I love his flexible play style.

As for my pockets...

:4corrinf: I've got a love/hate relationship with Fire Emblem Fates. Likewise, I've got a love/hate relationship with this character as well. I hate their personality in their source game, but they're way more tolerable in Smash where I don't have to read their cheesy dialogue. Corrin's transformations are cool, but the mediocre running speed combined with limited approach options drives me insane. Zard may not be fantastic at approaching but at least he's fast. I still do well with Corrin in the Sonic match up, though.

:4darkpit::4pit: I have a tendency to favor Dark Pit for his color scheme and more powerful side special, but I like to use both these characters from time to time. I don't feel like they do that much for me matchup wise, but I'm a huge KI:U fanboy and can't help but practice these two.

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
So I was a noob at fighting games in general when I first picked up the game (still kinda am...), I didn't really understand the concept of playstyles. I thought every single character had one strict method to play them, and that they can only be used in one way. So when I saw :4shulk: I immediately thought "HOLY CRAP I DON'T HAVE TO BE CONSTRAINED TO ONE STYLE HE MUST BE THE BEST CHARACTER EVER" and thus began the start of a beautiful relationship...

Very quickly learned that my initial assumption wasn't even remotely close to the truth, but I ended up sticking with Shulk anyways; he basically was the character that I used when learning how to play this wacky game. I lose with him a lot (well, I lose a lot in general XD) but there's a ton about the character that I really love, from his ability to space, the amount of crazy tech to learn/ more tech being discovered every day, and his status as a memelord. Horrible framedata be damned, I am gonna figure this character out.

I also am totally biased towards characters that have catchy theme music, which I'm pretty sure Shulk also just flat out wins for me in that regard XD

Pocket-wise :4kirby: because I love his games, and the whole idea of "changing playstyles" via his Inhale, and :4cloud: because come on. Everybody pockets him. You might just not know it yet :p

Last edited:

HtramKnil

Smash Rookie
I love to main the hype man himself, :falcon: i use him at most tourneys. He is fun to play with and just as fun to watch.

I pocket :zelda: because most players cant handle a good zeldas antics.

theraptor2002

Smash Rookie
I have never heard of Xenoblade Chronicles before Shulk's character trailer, but I honestly had no interest in him whatsoever. I played Smash 4 3DS for a while, maining Bowser Jr., but then I learned that little Bow just didn't click. So I jumped on a LVL 8 CPU Match random vs. random, and Shulk showed up. Then, it happened. I now casually main Shulk (I live where there are no places to hold tourneys, so I've never been in one ). If I find a guy who plays a character Shulk has a massive disadvantage again, I'll pull out a Lucina because she doesn't have many characters she's bad against if played normally, and also my lonely self needs a waifu.

Pockets
Pikachu is a good character I'll play every once in a while if all else fails or I'm bored.
Little Mac to practice my ground game.
Cap. Falcon because, let's be honest; we all wanna hit that Knee kill every once in a blue moon.

Ælude

Smash Cadet
I'm usually drawn to combo & gimp orientated, tech heavy characters but in sm4sh's case with the pace and mechanics of the game I just wanted someone easy I didn't have to invest any time taking to the lab and make improving my mental game top priority - as thats sm4sh's biggest draw for me.

:4ness:was comfortable because while not ever really being a main, I had invested alot of time into :ness64: and dabbled with him in PM and :ness2:. I also am a fan of the mother series so theres a certain draw to the kid from that as well. The wins came easier right from the start so it just sorta stuck.

If I was willing to invest more time and took sm4sh more seriously I would have probably mained :4sheik:,:4peach:,:4fox:,:4tlink:,:4shulk:, or :4pikachu:honestly.

Last edited:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Near the end of my time with Brawl (fall 2009), I was in a rut for a variety of reasons, and as I started to take the game less seriously, I wanted something to help shake things up and cool my head a bit, among which included looking at videos to see if any other characters looked like fun. Eventually I found a combo video by AvariceX called Road to Magicant, which was my first glimpse at then-high-level Ness play. After trying out Ness myself, I found I clicked with him much more than with anyone else, and I stuck with him for the next two months before I stopped playing. Naturally, having this much fun with a character meant I became more interested in his home series too, and I soon became a big Mother fan. Fast-forward five years to Smash 4, and now that I'm back playing Smash not so much to become a pro or anything but more so to have fun while still challenging myself, sticking with a character I liked and that I knew I'd be comfortable with was the obvious choice for me - Ness actually being good in Smash 4 felt more like icing on the cake at that point.

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
I always pick kirby because he was one of the first games I ever played. I am driven by nostalgia to that pink puffy blob. Though he gets low ratings on tier charts he remains the only character im remotely good at.

Also he's from dreamland and I have insomnia. For the love of the lol. ;P

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
To put it bluntly Charizard has been one of my all-time favorite pokemon. I don't care if he's overrated in the main games or lower tier here, he's my favorite, I like him, and this game is the only game where I have more wins than losses.
If that makes me hopeless then I'm hopeless, whatever...

BlazingRune

Smash Rookie
:4greninja:I main greninja because i love him not because of the anime series but the pokemon he is he's just too bad-*** for a frog and his moveset is amazing footstool combo is very satisfying if you pull it out sucessfully
My Main::4greninja::4ryu: My Secondary:4marth::4luigi: Play 4 fun:4ganondorf::4villager::4tlink:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
:4bowserjr:

I like mechs and Tron Bonne was my main in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I also have fond memories of playing Super Mario World, where the Koopa Clown Car made its first appearance. When Bowser Jr. was announced to be a newcomer and that he would ride the Koopa Clown Car, I was quite hyped and I felt he was a good fit for me. So I ended up maining Jr.

My second main, aka secondary, is the Villager. I just love Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
:4tlink: :4mario: :4bayonetta: :4cloud:

My friend just haaaaaates all these characters because of how I always beat him with them.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
:4tlink: :4mario: :4bayonetta: :4cloud:

My friend just haaaaaates all these characters because of how I always beat him with them.
I hate all of those characters. But for the most part i usually win against them. I don't think the reason he hates them is that you always beat him with them, but that they are all characters that are annoying to play against.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I hate all of those characters. But for the most part i usually win against them. I don't think the reason he hates them is that you always beat him with them, but that they are all characters that are annoying to play against.
Yeah, here's the thing. He never beats me. Ever. Also he's said that he doesn't like them just because I beat him with them. And that's why the only match he beat me in yesterday was one where I played :4metaknight:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom