• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main who you main?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Brawl:
:wolf: Aside from his laughably slow dash speed and a combination of weight and fallspeed that leads to infuriating chainthrows, Wolf has the tools to handle every situation. A solid projectile, a reflector that is great offensively and defensively (it sends projectiles back at 1.5x speed unlike Fox and Falco's ones), many varied melee attacks (some of which are even disjointed) and a plethora of surprise KO moves. He's just a balanced character overall and I like that. Also Scarring Wolflashes is sick.

PM:
:roypm: Before I switched to Wolf in Bawl, I mained Marth. I liked Marth's sword attacks but hated his Tipper mechanic and physics that felt kinda floaty. So when I heard that in Melee Roy had a similar moveset but was a fast faller who did NOT rely on tippers for KOs, I was intrigued. 3.0 came out and I fell in love with our boy. His playstyle is just so much fun and his moves (IMO) have more intricacies and utility than Marth's. Lastly Roy's PH1R3 and sword sound effects give his attacks more flair than Marth's. The PMBR did an excellent job reworking his moveset.
:kirby2: Chudat inspired me. Yeah... Never thought you'd hear that, did you? I have some problems with taking risks in PM as well as just resorting to anything to win. Kirby is helping me get over my lack of confidence. Chu plays to win and now, so do I. Kirby is also teaching me patience. One of my bad habits with Roy is relentlessly attacking without much purpose. Kirby is a character who I feel comfortable resetting to neutral and even downright STALLING with. I love Kirby's chase-based combo game too. The Cutter Dash and buffed Dash Attack are fun and creative. Unless Sakurai borrows PM's ideas, I likely won't enjoy Kirby in any other Smash game... Ever.

TL;DR - Roy and Kirby. Because playstyle.

Last edited:

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
tbh I'm not even 100% sure why I main toonlink. I kind of just... do
BECAUSE HE'S THE G.D. CELL SHADED HERO OF TIME

Nah but for real I main Toon Link because when I first sat down with my friends all "what's Brawl? Who should I play", they were like idk go with Toon Link. He's short, you're short, he's got bombs and arrows and stuff. And I've just been with him ever since.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
My main is Sonic, and I main him because he is one of my favorite video game characters next to only Link. On top of that I really love what they have done with Sonic's style in this mod, I adapted to it pretty quickly from Brawl. Not to mention in most fighting games I always pick characters that are quick and rack up damage very quickly with combos even if I don't know anything about them.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd do my secondaries as well but I'm just gonna do my main mains.. Well I'll show my secondaries but not explain
:mario64:: Because I started with him first and his moveset flows with me even in later games I don't particularly main him in. I just have alot of fun with Mario and am somehow better with him in later games then I am with Sonic (Who is my fav video game character ever
:ness64:
:kirby64:
Melee
:linkmelee:: His style is perfect for me, projectiles, up close options, powerful had a blast as Link, even if I may be better with the Fire Emblem dudes or Peach not sure
:marthmelee:
:peachmelee:
Brawl
:marth:: Carried over from Melee, after Link had a less then stellar performance. His style just flows with me to the extreme. Always had fun with Marth
:ike:
:lucario:
Project M
:link2:: Back to Link after he is back in form ala Melee and better then before.
:marth:/:roypm:
:sheilda:
Oddly I didn't main Link until more recently in general

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Lucas: He's adorable, and he sparkles. Come on, you can't tell me that's not awesome.

Samus: Best Nintendo character. Badass. Demoralizing. Kind of like my life

Bowser: Bowser's just been my favorite forever, since Mario Kart 64 at least.

ROB: I didn't expect to pick this character up at all, but he's REALLY fun. I love his glide toss shenanigans and just how he plays.

Falcon?: Yeah so in the last few days I found out Falcon isn't my worst character anymore, and being able to land knees with decent accuracy feels SO good. The character just feels like sex to use. Plus, I love F-Zero GX, and everybody loves Falcon. If I get good enough, he'll probably take Bowser's current spot in my mains list, aka about 2nd or 3rd, and Bowser's just gonna be my jank anti-spacie character. I need a character in my selection that people actually know how to play, lol.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ivysaur shoots lasers and baseball bats and doesn't afraid of anything
DK deals 80% per hit and throws his hands in the air like he just does not care

To be honest I'm very simple when it comes to picking characters.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I play every character in every Smash game, because Smash is one of the only fighting games where it's possible to play everyone at a semi-competent level and I enjoy the variety. In PM, Ivysaur is probably my favourite character, I just always enjoyed using her in Brawl for some reason and she's really good here.

Life

Smash Hero
I main Pit because KIU is a great game and I secondary Mario because apparently that's what Pit mains according to dialogue from the same game.

Kappa.

Although seriously I just play who's fun, which is mostly Pit but also Ivy and Zard and occasionally Mario and random other characters.

I originally picked Pit because I wanted to play someone I didn't play much in Brawl, and I basically started by spamming glides and giggling like a small child. Seriously.

Top Bottom