• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main who you main?

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I'm interested.

Some people use their mains because they like the series, others because they like the characters, or because they like how they fight?

So, why do you main your main?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
When it comes to mains, I'm pretty stubborn...
(Totally just gonna keep editing this when I think of other reasons)
Smash 4:
:4littlemac:Because he is the manliest man in Smash 4 (until they announce Falcon and Ganondorf).

Project M:

:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in PM (And dat Knee).
:ganondorf:Because he is the second manliest man in PM (And dat Stomp and Choke).
:roypm:Because of the flames and the fact that Marth is a slow, tiara wearing pretty boy (And Roy just fits my playstyle).

Brawl:
:falcon:Because he is still the manliest man in Brawl even though he is really bad (But dat knee is so hard to hit with).
:ganondorf:Because of dat Stomp (The stomp outweighs the fact that he's the worst character in the game).
:marth:Because the rest of the top tiers are boring to play and Roy wasn't included in the game.

Melee:
:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in Melee (And dat Knee).
:ganondorf:Because he is the second manliest man in Melee (And dat Stomp).
:roypm:Because of the flames and the fact that Marth is a slow, tiara wearing pretty boy (Real men play Roy).
#TakeOffTheTiara #ShotsFired #MahRoy #RoysOurBoy #HomeRoy #TH3PH1R3

64:
:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in SSB (I don't care if he doesn't have the Knee of Justice).

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in PM.
:ganondorf:Because he is the second manliest man in PM.
:roypm:Because of the flames.
loving the reasons.

also, i only posted here because there is a serious lack of a thread dedicated to talk about all of the smash games, which would have been perfect for this thread. post all mains, if wanted.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Charizard cause dragon. lol. Actually I main him mostly cause I love his tech chase game and cause I love his combos into dair. Plus his grounded down B is really cool. Zard was also my main in Red version lol, so that helps.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
loving the reasons.

also, i only posted here because there is a serious lack of a thread dedicated to talk about all of the smash games, which would have been perfect for this thread. post all mains, if wanted.
Their basically is a thread for that its right here
http://smashboards.com/threads/your-smash-character-history.357426/

but, on topic

I have a hard time really nailing down what my P:M Main is
It's been my struggle since like 2.5 and im still slowly loosing my mind over it but, I'll explain why I play each character

My Newcomers:
:zerosuitsamus:
For her unique move set that's been very interesting to play it's been a huge breathe of fresh air. She doesn't feel like a walk in the park when I'm playing her either so win's feel very satisfying.
:roypm:
Because i'm a Melee Marth player and I wanted to try something new I completely fell in love with this character for his heavy offensive style
:falcon:
For Knees of Justice are fun as they have always been. I always wanted to get really good with C.F. in melee but, i never got around to it now I feel very confident with him
:dedede:
Everytime I play DDD he just doesn't give single $#@%. His gimping abilities are insane and I love his grab range.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I chose Zelda in my later Brawl days becasue I started to like her more, and the Brawl Peach community didn't work for me.

I found P:M long ago through a Zelda P:M V1.0 combo video that was made by TANK showing him and Zhime whooping butts. I didn't really know what it was at the time, though, and didn't look into it.

Then later, (Closer to when I actually downloaded P:M.) I found and watched a bunch of Zhime's 2.0 battles and fell in love with her new design.

And when I played it only got better. Her multi-hits connected, she had the FAir/BAir that had Melee's goodness, but also had a nod at Brawl's design, and overall everything just felt good... better.

I never play or even see any other character as even close to the level as I play and see my main, Zelda.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Tbh, chose my still-used mains when I was just a scrub.

:marthmelee: was my main because I liked swords and he looked cool lol. +He's asian. I'm asian. Helped 6-year-old me semi-roleplay in my head xD felt BA pretending to be the one kicking ass aha. Enjoyed spamming counter and thinking that it took a lot of skill.

:sheikmelee: was my secondary. Ninjas are asian too...ey! I'm Chinese, but whatevs aha.

Even at a casual level, both can be played well fairly easily. I just got ridiculously lucky that I happened to conveniently pick two high tiers! xD Both have a fairly easy tech skill learning curve, so I've had a pretty smooth transition into more competitive play. Sheik has taken over as my main now, but in working on bringing Marth back up to main quality.

:zelda:(PM) is the most recent addition to my mains. I started using her because both Marth and Sheik resemble their Melee selves too much for me to have any of the fun my friends had trying out the rest of the cast, but didn't want to stray too far from my mains and compensate my skill with them. Zelda was a good compromise, since I could swap to my main if things ever got rough, and she eventually became my best main throughout all of the games. Love her mindgames/setups/reads playstyle, even if it does lack much tech...

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
When it comes to mains, I'm pretty stubborn...
(Totally just gonna keep editing this when I think of other reasons)
Project M:
:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in PM (And dat Knee).
:ganondorf:Because he is the second manliest man in PM (And dat Stomp and Choke).
:roypm:Because of the flames and the fact that Marth is a slow, tiara wearing pretty boy (And Roy just fits my playstyle).

Brawl:
:falcon:Because he is still the manliest man in Brawl even though he is really bad (But dat knee is so hard to hit with).
:ganondorf:Because of dat Stomp (The stomp outweighs the fact that he's the worst character in the game).
:marth:Because the rest of the top tiers are boring to play and Roy wasn't included in the game.

Melee:
:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in Melee (And dat Knee).
:ganondorf:Because he is the second manliest man in Melee (And dat Stomp).
:roypm:Because of the flames and the fact that Marth is a slow, tiara wearing pretty boy (Real men play Roy).
#TakeOffTheTiara #ShotsFired #MahRoy #RoysOurBoy #HomeRoy #TH3PH1R3

64:
:falcon:Because he is the manliest man in SSB (I don't care if he doesn't have the Knee of Justice).
What does snake mean to you??

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
i main fox because of his speed, i play a rush down game which is what im best at.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
thanks for the responses, guys

anyways, i guess i'll go

Project M

:falco: -Because of dat speed and power.
:sheik: -Same as above I guess. Power and speed are just what I like and how I play.

Brawl

:wolf:
-Idk, he just feels....good.

Melee

:falcomelee:
-
Same reason as top Falco.
:sheikmelee:- Same as top Shiek.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Things I like: Mobility, good pokes, fast hard hitting attacks, a silly projectile.

:4marth: has always been my dude since Melee because of the fact that I love sword characters and this guy was WAY better than any incarnation of boring ass Link, Roy, or any of the other "too many" sword characters that never ever ever come close to being better than this guy or offer as satisfying a play style. /bitterness

As I got older and developed appreciation for and understanding of different higher level game play aspects, I began to see just how far he could be taken while remaining simple enough that I wasn't breaking my fingers to remain competitive with him. As a guy who is way better at reads and spacing, this is a pretty ****ing big deal.

:4pit: is a holdover from my Brawl days. Really, the only thing that made me a 100% main for this character was Arrows of Light. I was also looking for a projectile character to compliment Marth in P:M and after remembering how much fun I had just manipulating arrow arc patterns and watching APEX 2014 (with a later reaffirmation at WHOBO), I pretty much decided that this was going to be the second guy.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Pikachu is actually in the top 20. Such a strong character. He can cover every match up pretty well, so there isn't really a need to switch depending on match-ups. People say hes boring but that is just ignorance, Pikachu is one of the most exciting and interesting characters in the game.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Pikachu is actually in the top 20. Such a strong character. He can cover every match up pretty well, so there isn't really a need to switch depending on match-ups. People say hes boring but that is just ignorance, Pikachu is one of the most exciting and interesting characters in the game.
Top 20 isn't saying much, considering there are 41 characters.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
oops i meant top 15 or some ****, bottom line pikachu is better than most characters
Pretty much any character in PM is viable anyhow, regardless of CT's debatable tier list. And if they aren't, you can hopefully expect them to be in the next update, whenever it comes out.

D

Deleted member

tbh I'm not even 100% sure why I main toonlink. I kind of just... do

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Pretty much any character in PM is viable anyhow, regardless of CT's debatable tier list. And if they aren't, you can hopefully expect them to be in the next update, whenever it comes out.
Yes but a lot of characters have very bad match-ups, so bad that you probably have to end up switching characters. I feel as though pikachu has a decent enough match-up spread to where you don't need to switch, which is what i think puts him ahead of many many characters in the game.

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
:bowsermelee::bowser2::4bowser:: Look at my sig, I will always main Bowser. I mean, look at him. He's a gigantic, spike covered, fire breathing, turtle dragon that is feared by his enemies and respected by his diverse army. Bury him under rubble, drop him down a pit, dunk him in lava; no matter what you do, he'll come back and he'll hunt you down. There's an appeal to such power.

:4dedede::4charizard::4dk::ganondorf:: They're no Bowser, but are powerhouses none the less. Dedede swinging that hammer like it's nothing, Charizard is a dragon, DK could fling you over the horizon with one arm, Ganon will just crush the life out of you. (I really want to like Ike, but I just can't get into him.)

:ivysaur::jigglypuff::warioc::ness2:: They're off beat and that sits well with me.

:4megaman::4littlemac:: Nostalgia, but Mega Man is up there with being off beat, and Little Mac is with the power houses.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I main Fox/Diddy pretty much because they were previous mains fron melee/brawl respectively.
Its also because I like the smaller, faster characters. Im practicing my lucario as well :)

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
:bowsermelee::bowser2::4bowser:: Look at my sig, I will always main Bowser. I mean, look at him. He's a gigantic, spike covered, fire breathing, turtle dragon that is feared by his enemies and respected by his diverse army. Bury him under rubble, drop him down a pit, dunk him in lava; no matter what you do, he'll come back and he'll hunt you down. There's an appeal to such power.

:4dedede::4charizard::4dk::ganondorf:: They're no Bowser, but are powerhouses none the less. Dedede swinging that hammer like it's nothing, Charizard is a dragon, DK could fling you over the horizon with one arm, Ganon will just crush the life out of you. (I really want to like Ike, but I just can't get into him.)

:ivysaur::jigglypuff::warioc::ness2:: They're off beat and that sits well with me.

:4megaman::4littlemac:: Nostalgia, but Mega Man is up there with being off beat, and Little Mac is with the power houses.

i like you

why cant there be more of you

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I like the magic users so I tend to gravitate towards them. They also tend to rely less on wavedashing and more on punishing as it would seem.

Favorites
:zelda: Lightning kick is the single coolest thing to land in PM and Brawl. She's about precision and has no room for errors. She is also good at spacing when it comes to aggressive attackers. She's pretty bad against people with range, though.

:peach: She has a lot of awesome juggles and I like her silly and carefree animations. She's so annoying to KO without clear cut hits. She can prey on someone's DI no matter which way they go, making her more vicious than she appears to be.

:ivysaur:Ivy is fun to use. Ivy has a lot of tools to use and doesn't need to be fancy to be good. I like how simple and easy Ivy is to use, but Ivy isn't TOO easy to use which means I can't just mash buttons to win.

Other ones I really like

:jigglypuff:She's fun and floaty. I use her as my fun character since she's adorable and kind of hard to hit. Even in the face of how annoying it is to fight half the cast with her, she's still fun. So I think that's saying something.

:ike:He's oddly a master of fluid combos and has great counters thanks to super armor or light armor. He's also super manly and strong. So that's the main reason to use him. C:

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
oh i forgot lucario, those cancels are fun and hype to do and reminds me of street fighter.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
:falcon:FALCON PAWNCH
:link2:That increased arrow knockback and I always wanted Link to be good and I feel like he is in P:M
:ike:One of my favorite Nintendo characters of all time
:mario2:The sexy mustache

HonkBonkington

Smash Rookie
I've played Marth, Kirby, and Jiggles since I was babby, and I'm all out of Kirbies and Jiggles.

They just don't feel right compared to their 64 and Melee counterparts, respectively.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I main Squirtle. I think he's a pretty cool guy. Eh kills fire pokenam and doesnt afraid of anything.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
PM:
:ike: - Because he is the manliest character that uses his sword in Smash in addition to be all around OP in Fire Emblem.
:snake: - Because he can smoke mid match, because anytime is a good time for a smoke break.
:roypm: - Faster than Ike and has a combo game that is akin to Marth without being Marth!
:ganondorf: - Choke slam FTW

Brawl:
:ike: - See above
:snake: - Utilt is dumb and high explosives FTW

Melee:
:marthmelee: - Because he can win games and I have a natural understanding of the FE lords sword mechanics and strategies in Smash. Otherwise he is a tiara wearing girly man and if Roy had actually had been viable I would have played him.
:falcomelee: - He has a gun, guns typically win in fistfights/swordfights just saying...
:ganondorfmelee: - Because he is the manliest sword holder in all of Smash.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I read the topic wrong when I first posted this so I'll revise it.

Mario is my favorite fictional character of all time, period. So he's the one I like to play as the most. Luigi isn't my second favorite fictional character period, but he is my second favorite Mario character and he plays pretty similarly to Mario.

Captain Falcon I just originally thought was cool and he has a cool play style, and then later on I became an F-Zero fan.

Fox is someone I was a fan of before I started playing Smash as well.

Basically, my mains are characters I Just like outside of Smash

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
PM (Because I don't play any other Smash games :p)
1.:samus2: Because Metroid is and always has been my **** and I can't be Ridley (yet).

2.:mewtwopm: Because throwing people around and floating like a boss makes me feel like a real man. He's also my favorite Pokemon.

3.:warioc: Because the dude's a badass, and Wario Land was my **** back in the day.

I main characters due to my emotional attachment for them, rather than their playstyles. I tend to adapt quickly when I'm really in love with a character. I just love doing well and seeing my main man (or woman) on that victory screen.

Top Bottom