• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Samus?

Phrygisian

Smash Rookie
NNID
kelsilver9
3DS FC
4081-6733-0493
Hello all. I'm Kevin. I've lurked around the forums here and there for quite some time but I thought it was time for me to become more involved on here besides commenting. I assume most to all of you reading this are Samus players, and I as a Samus main myself have not heard much from other Samus mains in regard to why they choose her.

My reason for maining Samus doesn't completely fall to her fighting style but also in her as a character. Metroid is definitely one of my favorite video game franchises, and playing each of its games has brought me to love Samus as a character in some way.

As for Smash Bros... I can't explain it well, but it feels as though my pride in maining Samus helps me become decent with her in matches. She's the character I'm best at, frankly. Also, in fighting games I notice I tend to fall in the "all-around" category of "not too fast but not too heavy" fighters.

Truth to be told, I didn't main Samus until Brawl since Metroid Prime 3 was my first Metroid experience, but enough about me.

If you main Samus, why do you?

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I main her because of my love for the character. I've played almoat all the titles in the series and have fond memories of booting up Super Metroid for the first time as a kid. I enjoy that she's not used by a great deal of people and as such it's a great conversation starter.

Aditionally, she's a lovely contrast to all the sword swinging animu characters in the game. She's a robot lady, bro, with an arm cannon. She shoots missiles. Goddamned missiles, bro, out of her godddamned arm cannon.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
The metroid series of games with their puzzle - action - exploration are my favourite games of all time. I would main Samus even if she was the worst character in the game (and she damn near was in Brawl).
She has a huge range of options in Smash, so she never feels stale. In Smash 4 I really, really enjoy blasting someone off the screen with the charged shot, particularly with landing/rolling lag. I simply don't get tired of the satisfaction this brings. Particularly against reflector/absorber characters. Enormously satisfying. And D-Air, but damn they need to patch D-air...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I started liking her in Brawl.

I tried playing her games before, but I never really got into them, until I gave Zero Mission a shot. Ever since then, I've been SLOWLY liking them more and more.

I forced myself to get through the whole Metroid Prime experience, and I'm glad I did.

I decided to main Samus in every smash bros game, even if she's not necesarily my 1ST choice. (I know... I know...)

So now I use Samus in every Smash Bros. game, and to set them apart in my mind, I use a different color for each.
64: Regular red.
Melee: Varia Suit (Pink?)
Brawl: Gravity Suit (Purple?)
P:M: Dark Suit
3DS: Light Suit

I find her extremely fun to use. She's so heavy, I have the whole match to adapt to my opponent, and tank like crazy.
Also, I love characters where projectiles can be a set-up to land powerful attacks.

I like ZSS as well. But I feel she's a little cheap, so I don't like using her as much. I really don't like the fact that she has SO much advantage over regular Samus. I thought this would have been addressed by this game. U_U

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I use SAMUS for several reasons.

1. She and I are both lesbians.

2. I love the idea of technology granting us powers we could never achieve in real life.

3. The way samus rocks back and forth on the ledge is so hot.

4. Using an underdog character in tournament makes the audience pay more attention to me and that makes me happy.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Metroid is my all time favorite franchise. Ever since I was little, Samus has helped me out in difficult times or depression. I love science and I believe Samus sticks deeply well to it. It makes me think that all her Power-Ups are possible. In Smash Bros. Brawl I used Zero Suit Samus, since I considered Samus to be a bit weak. I wasn't much into the meta game yet. Then Smash Bros. 4 came out and everybody started getting their hands on Zamus. Some friends from Facebook told me not take this in consideration and to use her just as always. But another user commented: Why not use Samus? She's a Low Tier, so she's not used that much. And if you're hoping to pay a tribute for all those times you had with her, mastering Samus seems a nice tribute.

So that's when I decided to main her. So far, I'm better with her than with Zamus, but let's see what time gives out.

Phrygisian

Smash Rookie
NNID
kelsilver9
3DS FC
4081-6733-0493
I enjoy that she's not used by a great deal of people and as such it's a great conversation starter.

Aditionally, she's a lovely contrast to all the sword swinging animu characters in the game. She's a robot lady, bro, with an arm cannon. She shoots missiles. Goddamned missiles, bro, out of her godddamned arm cannon.
Bro, yes.

In Smash 4 I really, really enjoy blasting someone off the screen with the charged shot, particularly with landing/rolling lag. I simply don't get tired of the satisfaction this brings. Particularly against reflector/absorber characters. Enormously satisfying.
AGREED. I love that a fully charged shot is incredibly fast and powerful. It feels even faster than Brawl's (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

I like ZSS as well. But I feel she's a little cheap, so I don't like using her as much. I really don't like the fact that she has SO much advantage over regular Samus. I thought this would have been addressed by this game. U_U
ZZS has terrible projectile and spacing game compared to Power suit Samus. Yes, she's MUCH quicker, but I wouldn't say ZZS has a HUGE advantage over Samus, its all down to the player's skill.

3. The way samus rocks back and forth on the ledge is so hot.
Even a gay guy like me finds Samus to be a total hottie. Samus is love. Samus is life.
Love your signature gif btw xD

Last edited:

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I don't main samus but I'm definitely interested in using her. I love the metroid series and I think I want to start using her. From what I hear, she's bulky and her projectile game is what makes her definitely worth checking out.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I main her because:
1. people hated Other M and I enjoyed it. So now I desire to beat them to a pulp using this new Other M designed Samus

2. I had a friend who thought that everyone liked samus because she was nothing but eye-candy and I wish to prove her wrong by using her power-suit version instead of ZSS.

3. I like Samus' back story (She's Nintendo's BATMAN!!)

4. To make it seem as if I enjoy her games because it's cool to like Metroid. woo.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I admit, I started playing her for quite shallow reasons because I thought she was the coolest-looking character (which holds true today IMO) and eventually started playing metroid games and came to appreciate her even more after that. Also, her mechanics began fitting my playstyle quite nicely, mostly in Melee and PM, but even to some extent in Brawl and SSB4.

FatSlapper

Smash Rookie
I don't main her per say but she is a backup character I've been playing as a lot.

I use her because she is an underdog and hard to use which i like.

Aaaand she just looks bad arse in her armor. Reminds me a little bit of Isaac Clarke, one of my favorite gaming characters. Mazzletoff!!

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I just love the metroid franchise. Loved it from the first time I plugged the first one into my NES. I really like the character herself and how she's a strong non-stereotyped woman.

Have always started each smash bros maining her. She usually ended as a secondary though by the end of the game's life (when I realized I was 10x better with ness on smash64 for example :p ).

Maybe the same will happen this time, but there is always something fun with charge shots and missiles in a game with so many swords :D

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Metroid and Super Metroid.

She never talks.

I HATE zss. She isn't Samus. There is only one Samus and she has green hair (okay, ignoring Super Metroid here...)
zss is Nintendo throwing away everything Samus had going for her: Silent Samus WAS the player, she could have been anybody under there. Samus was stoical and just got on with the job. She WAS Badass. I HOPE they never eff up Link by giving him a voice the way they eff'ed up Samus. Whenever I play against a zss I hold nothing back, the real Samus ALWAYS wins.

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
Samus was one of my mains in Brawl and I still main her in 3DS/WiiU. I haven't played a metroid game (I really want to though) but I just like the playstyle of Samus. She can use projectiles, but still has the potential to do some close range damage.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Super Metroid was my favorite Nintendo game of all time, and I really fell in love with Samus as a character. Dat strong, independent woman thing gets me. I also like her playstyle in Smash. Very calculated, high learning curve, and rewarding payout once mastered. I tend to gravitate towards hard-to-use characters in most fighting games because I love the learning process.

SaintJotun

Smash Rookie
I don't main Samus, but I like to play as her when I'm on a losing streak. The characters I like to play normally are overly popular. Thus, everyone else knows their moveset, timing, move priority, etc. But for some reason, few people play as Samus. So I go in as Samus and the opponents almost always feel confused about what to do against her. Then I win. Then I go back to my fav characters and lose. *shrug*

SaintJotun

Smash Rookie
She kinda sucks (IMO).

Her jab is unsafe ON HIT.

She is comboed for days but can't use her floatiness for much else but recovering.

And her projectiles aren't as good any more.
I agree with all these things. It's just fun to randomly pull out Samus and see how the person who has fought against 10,000 shulks and diddys adapts.

FatSlapper

Smash Rookie
So true, I'm still getting used to her unsafe jab. Does it connect better at higher percentage? Can't remember. And her neutral b is actually kinda good when used right. I absolutely curb smashed a Mario with it, you always gotta keep them nervous with that charged plasma. Now to mayst that Zaire grab..

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
So true, I'm still getting used to her unsafe jab. Does it connect better at higher percentage? Can't remember. And her neutral b is actually kinda good when used right. I absolutely curb smashed a Mario with it, you always gotta keep them nervous with that charged plasma. Now to mayst that Zaire grab..
Her jab is safe around 30% and higher.

When I said her projectiles were nerfed I meant mostly her missiles and bombs. Charge shot is still the GOD of projectiles in Smash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Metroid and Super Metroid.

She never talks.

I HATE zss. She isn't Samus. There is only one Samus and she has green hair (okay, ignoring Super Metroid here...)
zss is Nintendo throwing away everything Samus had going for her: Silent Samus WAS the player, she could have been anybody under there. Samus was stoical and just got on with the job. She WAS Badass. I HOPE they never eff up Link by giving him a voice the way they eff'ed up Samus. Whenever I play against a zss I hold nothing back, the real Samus ALWAYS wins.
She talks at the beginning of Super Metroid. Just because
it's text only doesn't change the fact that she has a voice.

You sound like you're basing your impressions purely
around Other M, and it's not like Samus instantly stops
or becomes unable to talk when she puts her suit on.

What ZSS is supposed to represent in my mind
is that she is still very capable of completing missions
without her suit, she just can't be reckless without the firepower
and armour of her suit when her enemies are aliens that naturally
shoot laser beams.

You're just directing your hate at the wrong outlet here.
Samus and ZSS are one and the same in personality,
they just have different approaches with different tools.

And ZSS is not representative of Other M, despite what this
game might lead you to believe.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
She's a waifu in armor. Of course people would main her. ;D But yeah, I'm considering having Samus as my pocket character, replacing Charizard. I've always loved Samus's move-set since 64. She was my first character I have ever played in Smash. I used her in Melee over most characters (Excluding Marth, since he was my main in Melee). I also enjoyed using her in Brawl since she made more sense to me than most other characters.. but she wasn't my main. In PM, she was great, but Snake was just more fun. I think I may try to grasp Samus further since I am averagely adept to her play-style from all other iterations. I also have been using her more and more lately... I seem to get pretty good results with her.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Her jab is safe around 30% and higher.

When I said her projectiles were nerfed I meant mostly her missiles and bombs. Charge shot is still the GOD of projectiles in Smash.
If anything, I think Samus' projectile should have been greatly buffed. Her Charge Shot actually kills this time, but her super missiles don't have as much impact as they did in Melee. I'm still upset that Zamus is a better character, too. Anyway, as for maining her, I don't main Samus, but I do use her as a secondary, and it's because my brother used her in previous Smash games, but he currently doesn't own the new Smashes, so I'm taking up the mantle for now. :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Smash 4 has me playing a good amount of characters this time, but I've recently taken Samus as a secondary and I plan on using her in tournaments. She's very different and at first I didn't like it, but I feel with enough practice and discovery she can be a good character to pull out every now and again.

Metroid was also my favorite series until Other M. I have some pretty strong respect for Samus and her abilities, and I enjoy the varia suit more than ZSS. It sucks that it is downplayed so hard in the Smash games, but if she were at full power she'd be SSSS Tier.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
She talks at the beginning of Super Metroid. Just because
it's text only doesn't change the fact that she has a voice.

You sound like you're basing your impressions purely
around Other M, and it's not like Samus instantly stops
or becomes unable to talk when she puts her suit on.

What ZSS is supposed to represent in my mind
is that she is still very capable of completing missions
without her suit, she just can't be reckless without the firepower
and armour of her suit when her enemies are aliens that naturally
shoot laser beams.

You're just directing your hate at the wrong outlet here.
Samus and ZSS are one and the same in personality,
they just have different approaches with different tools.

And ZSS is not representative of Other M, despite what this
game might lead you to believe.
In Zero Mission she's weak without her suit. She can't even kill anything. It's terrifying for the player. So when you find a new power suit at last, suddenly you feel invincible again and realise how amazing suited Samus is. So why does Smash Bros make ZSS equal in strength to Samus, if not even stronger?

Super Metroid only had about 200 words in the whole game. Samus just got on with the mission. It's a video game, it's not a book. If they can't tell the story through the gameplay then they should just write a book. If I'm gonna be spending 1 hour playing the game and 6 hours watching cutscenes, then that's not a game, that's an interactive film or something. And if the film ain't no good and there's barely any game, then what do you have?

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
In addition to liking the Metroid games, I just find her overall playstyle really fun. She was the first character I was hyped to try and I'm very pleased with her transition from Brawl because I couldn't use her worth a damn in that game. Right now I find myself playing Robin and Samus equally. I also used her a ton in Melee when I wasn't playing Mewtwo. She was the first character I picked up out of the default cast. Plus, I wanna prove that she's viable!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In Zero Mission she's weak without her suit. She can't even kill anything. It's terrifying for the player. So when you find a new power suit at last, suddenly you feel invincible again and realise how amazing suited Samus is. So why does Smash Bros make ZSS equal in strength to Samus, if not even stronger?

Super Metroid only had about 200 words in the whole game. Samus just got on with the mission. It's a video game, it's not a book. If they can't tell the story through the gameplay then they should just write a book. If I'm gonna be spending 1 hour playing the game and 6 hours watching cutscenes, then that's not a game, that's an interactive film or something. And if the film ain't no good and there's barely any game, then what do you have?
Just say that you hate Other M and be done with it.

Smash isn't exactly a paragon of realism, you can punch
out the King Of Evil when in his games he would just scoff
at you without the Master Sword, a balloon can kill you by sleeping
on you etc.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Just say that you hate Other M and be done with it.

Smash isn't exactly a paragon of realism, you can punch
out the King Of Evil when in his games he would just scoff
at you without the Master Sword, a balloon can kill you by sleeping
on you etc.
Yeah fair enough. I was probably being a bit ridiculous to be honest. One thing I love: at the end of Metroid 1 it says something like "you saved the day, let's hope that the other metroid doesn't come now"... Other M! haha, clever of them to name the new game that! Apologies to all the zss mains out there! I was a bit harsh on Other M as well, it's still a cool game.

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
I play Samus because she is my counter to scrubs, campers and scummy players. She is very effective at it.

aozf05

Smash Cadet
I main Samus because I've played her since the original Smash. My main reasons for picking her to begin with was her charge shot and the fact that she was a cool looking robot and then later found out there was a woman in there. But I sucked with her through Melee and kept experimenting with other characters until I started getting good with her in Brawl because I went to college and suddenly had people to play with in the dorms. At this point my main reason for sticking with Samus is that I've used her for so long and she's an underdog that few people use so it's so satisfying when I kick ass with her and get respect for it.

And I've put off using ZSS for a long time but I recently started using her and I hate to say but ZSS seems to be better than Samus in almost every way except in projectiles. It's really disappointing.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Charge Shot initially drew me to her, but I really like her versatility and combo potential.

And the fact she can outcamp opposing characters means games are usually fast and fun with the opponent being constantly forced to approach

Mr.Shameless

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrShameless
3DS FC
5301-0935-0975
Why do i main samus... Cause its fun.. I played with samus most in melee, but im really enjoying her in wiiu.
I picked her up as a main cause i thought allot of people tend to over look her as a threat. Her projectiles and simple combos make her a pretty good match up to anyone, and welcomes a varied play style... And of course landing the double uair to uspecial is just sooo satisfying :D

Mad Zephyr XXVII

Smash Rookie
My uncle said to one of his friends that if I ever managed to get good with Samus, i'd probably be one dangerous player. I was very young and I took those words at heart. Eventually I started using her on the N64 version followed by the GCN and Brawl versions. She eventually became my main. She is overlooked and I had players get surprised to see my Samus fair off against top tier characters in friendlies or even local tournaments. I was named "the Samus player" due to those moments back in college.

Now I can't drop her. Zero Suit Samus was a close secondary for me back in Brawl, but now I sorta have a problem adjusting to her mechanics in Smash Wii U.

Last edited:

Oddse7en

Smash Rookie
My love for Samus happened at a very specific point in the very first Metroid Prime game. Eventually, you fight Metroid Prime itself. It kicked the crap out of me a few times, but I eventually got the pattern and took it down. Now, I'm referring to the first form of the boss. When I drained its health, I had a little celebration as I watched it dig a hole and run away, thinking the fight over and won. That's when I saw Samus, with no hesitation, run and dive into the hole, chasing the boss! I paused the game, jaw dropped, and knew that I loved this character.

My feminism is what got me interested in the game to begin with, as I am drawn to strong female characters...but that one gesture of insane-level courage and strength pushed her into being one of my all-time favorite characters period and I've been along for the ride ever since.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I've noticed a huge increase in Samus players online where once running into one was extremely unlikely. I'd like to believe it's due to Samus mains conquering for glory like the mongolian war priests that we are.

The heathens are joining the Khanate! We are the will of God.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed a huge increase in Samus players online where once running into one was extremely unlikely. I'd like to believe it's due to Samus mains conquering for glory like the mongolian war priests that we are.

The heathens are joining the Khanate! We are the will of God.
Really? I haven't seen that many. This on WiiU or 3ds or both?

Top Bottom