• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Samus?

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Wii U.

I've seen everything from people just giving her a try to text book Brawl zair spamming. Nothing too cool or original yet but our numbers are growimg nonetheless.
How good are they? I don't want our beloved character to be associated with spammers and competitive try-hards(like myself).
Hopefully these new "sister-in-arm-cannons" will do great against the 1-2jab spamming Foxes that ravage the Glory lands!
Either way, more glory to Samus!

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
How good are they? I don't want our beloved character to be associated with spammers and competitive try-hards(like myself).
Hopefully these new "sister-in-arm-cannons" will do great against the 1-2jab spamming Foxes that ravage the Glory lands!
Either way, more glory to Samus!
They're pretty good believe it or not. No projectile spam. They're not a revolution by any means in terms of what they're doimg but they could be much much worse.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
They're pretty good believe it or not. No projectile spam. They're not a revolution by any means in terms of what they're doimg but they could be much much worse.
D*mn. I'll be honest, that makes me a lot happier than I was expecting. This gives me so much hope for our lil, low-tier warrior. Glad to be apart of it!

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Hope she doesnt get too popular! After playing a few I must say she can be quite annoying to face, especially on a not so good connection, almost makes me feel bad for my opponents. Almost.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If anything, I think Samus' projectile should have been greatly buffed. Her Charge Shot actually kills this time, but her super missiles don't have as much impact as they did in Melee. I'm still upset that Zamus is a better character, too. Anyway, as for maining her, I don't main Samus, but I do use her as a secondary, and it's because my brother used her in previous Smash games, but he currently doesn't own the new Smashes, so I'm taking up the mantle for now. :p
Yeah, it's going to be a while for me to start, unfortunately. When I have the money to buy a Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Wii, I'll take it from there. (For those who don't know, Uffe is my twin.) I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the Gravity Suit color, though. It might be the Light Suit or Dark Samus. You can keep using the Fusion Suit if you're still doing that. I'm going to try using Zamus as well this time.

Anyway, I main Samus because a friend of mine from a daycare I used to go to when I was little had Super Metroid. He showed me this game and I became very interested in it. I wanted to play Metroid II: Return of Samus, but didn't have the game. I got Super Metroid for Christmas with an SNES my brother and I shared. He was a fan of Kirby, though he's changed from Kirby, to Captain Falcon, to Ness.

When they didn't make a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64, I was happy to at least see Samus in Super Smash Bros. She'll always be my main (unless she doesn't end up in any of the future games). I guess you could say Metroid is part of my childhood and that's why I continue to play as Samus.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I main Samus (for now anyway) on Wii U because I love the series, and except for brawl, she has always been one of my favorites. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll stick with her over Ness and Villager in the long run though, as they are both very fun to play and I loved Ness on 64 and Melee.
Hope she doesnt get too popular! After playing a few I must say she can be quite annoying to face, especially on a not so good connection, almost makes me feel bad for my opponents. Almost.
I'll have to check my stats, but I've hardly faced Samus at all. Only one that was good. Oddly, I think she is much worse on a laggy connection.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
I play Zamus because I plan to eventually go competitive quite soon in the future and I want to use a character that can hold her own aswell as represent the Metroid series (Ridley.... I want you).

But I would honnestly prefer playing Samus, I hugely respect the character, which is why I'm not very happy with Nintendo's sexualization of Zamus. But... nothing I can do can help that xD

I'm a newish fan to the series and, I'm in absolute love with it, easily the best games I've ever played.... except for MOM *shivers*. I'm still about ~half done playing all the metroid games... and I have to say its a pure masterpiece.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Accidental double post
Edit 2: I did NOT accidentally repost after all. turns out I just mistaken my reply text box for a post.

Last edited:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Samus was my main in the OG SSB64. Then I unlocked Ness and split time between them, DK and Falcon. In spite of the 30+ new characters I haven't been able to shake them. I use most of the color ways, but Dark Suit is my fav. I use every color way except original and fusion.
I despise Zero Suit. Straight out of Dead or Alive, boob implants, better than Samus (the biggest offense), stupid OP, and worst of all a bad matchup for the true Samus, 1 on 1.

Occasionally a ZSS will kill me in For Glory, then switch to Samus to rub it in, but I kill them in the Samus dittos. Losers.Unlike most of the more realistic anime-ish characters, she is a true classic Nintendo character on the more realistic side so I enjoy using her to kill the anime punks. Aside from her I skew to the joke characters like G&W, Ness, DK, Falcon, etc.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I play Zamus because I plan to eventually go competitive quite soon in the future and I want to use a character that can hold her own aswell as represent the Metroid series (Ridley.... I want you).

But I would honnestly prefer playing Samus, I hugely respect the character, which is why I'm not very happy with Nintendo's sexualization of Zamus. But... nothing I can do can help that xD

I'm a newish fan to the series and, I'm in absolute love with it, easily the best games I've ever played.... except for MOM *shivers*. I'm still about ~half done playing all the metroid games... and I have to say its a pure masterpiece.
Best of luck to your road to competitives! (don't we all want Ridley?)

If you wanna play Samus then play her. Winning isn't everything and Xyro could use some help in making Samus viable.

MOM was awesome. No idea what you are talking about. It is the best Metroid game by far. Nothing was wrong with it at all. Nodda. Zilch. A masterpiece in its own right.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Amen, indeed.

Wait, do the anime punks include Kirby and Pit?
No. I love Kirby too. Got my first swallowcide win against a troll Luigi. Who switches to the name "JUST QUiT" after losing 5 of 6 to me, then proceeds to play 20 more matches with a host of characters?
Pit? I don't mind now that he talks less and went through puberty. I'm talking more Fire Emblem, Shulk, etc.It might be just me, but it seems like I play more people who bust out a Samus once I have mine. I've played more Samuses than Foxes, Diddy's.I'm getting better against Zero Suit now that I know her move set and patterns. More shielding and patience, but the good ones are still REALLY tough.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
No. I love Kirby too. Got my first swallowcide win against a troll Luigi. Who switches to the name "JUST QUiT" after losing 5 of 6 to me, then proceeds to play 20 more matches with a host of characters?
Pit? I don't mind now that he talks less and went through puberty. I'm talking more Fire Emblem, Shulk, etc.It might be just me, but it seems like I play more people who bust out a Samus once I have mine. I've played more Samuses than Foxes, Diddy's.I'm getting better against Zero Suit now that I know her move set and patterns. More shielding and patience, but the good ones are still REALLY tough.
YA! Kirby's cuteness cannot NOT be loved! I actually have trouble performing Kirbycides. Besides, most of my opponents don't deserve that kind of fun. They deserve to be humiliated and beaten by the star warrior's hands (kirby is pretty good in this game).

LOL. I love beating those guys. So fun.

Why does everyone thing Pit has an annoying voice?

"I'm talking more Fire Emblem, Shulk, etc" Wow. Now we have a problem. How can you dislike my secondary, Marth? His looks put every character to shame and he is still a great fighter. Now if you meant Lucina, well, you can beat that dead horse anytime. (stupid clones).

I don't have many pull a Samus ditto on me. And when they do, I always win (though not without a fight because I haven't gotten used to spamming Samus' yet). I see more Captains and Zamus' more than anything else.

And the difficulty in the Zamus vs. Samus MU is the reason why I picked up Pikachu (well, that and I loved a pikachu I saw on Clash tournaments a while ago, though I forgot his name). Why use a character unsuited for the MU when their are plenty of other characters I love to use?

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
MOM was awesome. No idea what you are talking about. It is the best Metroid game by far. Nothing was wrong with it at all. Nodda. Zilch. A masterpiece in its own right.
Have you played any other Metroid games?

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Nope. None at all. Zilch. Nodda. Zero.

Have you read any other sarcastic comments?

:troll:

Edit: to be truthful, Metroid 1, Super Metroid, and Fusion. Oh, and i did NOT enjoy them much. I plan on getting the trilogy when it releases next week on the eshop though.

Last edited:

Octavium

I'm hoping to god he was being sarcastic,

-Art 9/10,

-Setting 8/10,

-Combat Gameplay 6/10,

-Progression 3/10(as linear as it gets),

-Story 3/10(cliche filled drama),

-Exploration(what the series is basically known for) None/10,

-Loneliness and isolation(part of most metroid games) 2/10

-New Suit design 4/10 (looks weak, whats with the pee shooter)

-Samus's Personality doesn't feel consistent with her fearless Actions in previous titles.

-Disconnect from Samus as the player (You know things she doesn't)

-Personal Enjoyment 2.5/10 (I expected better from Metroid)

I can understand somebody loving Metroid Other M, but man... calling it a masterpiece is a stretch!

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping to god he was being sarcastic
Crap. I thought you liked that posted because you sensed the sarcasm! I thought the "zilch. Nodda" and continual rejection to MOM being imperfect was a huge indicator of that. Looks like I not as good at communication as I thought. My apologies, everyone.
Of course, I still think MOM wasn't THAT bad.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Nope. None at all. Zilch. Nodda. Zero.

Have you read any other sarcastic comments?

:troll:

Edit: to be truthful, Metroid 1, Super Metroid, and Fusion. Oh, and i did NOT enjoy them much. I plan on getting the trilogy when it releases next week on the eshop though.
Haha sorry, I haven't unlocked the Sarcasm Visor yet.

I enjoyed the trilogy, I hope you do too. Metroid Prime is probably worth the price on its own, even if you only get round to playing the first one it's a good deal! I like the Wii controls more than the Gamecube original controls too.

Octavium: fair play for actually giving Other M credit for what you liked about it. You've given it an honest assessment.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Haha sorry, I haven't unlocked the Sarcasm Visor yet.

I enjoyed the trilogy, I hope you do too. Metroid Prime is probably worth the price on its own, even if you only get round to playing the first one it's a good deal! I like the Wii controls more than the Gamecube original controls too.

Octavium: fair play for actually giving Other M credit for what you liked about it. You've given it an honest assessment.
upload_2015-1-26_18-0-54.jpeg

Well played, sir. Well played....

Thanks, I do hope I enjoy it too, but with college and other stuff, Sm4sh might just take priority. The trilogy will probably become another member of my bucket list (it's sad when you aren't even 20 and you already have a bucket list).

Are any of you guys gonna get it? It's probably gonna be $10 bucks while one sale like Punch out and Mario Galaxy 2 was. Sounds like you guys wouldn't mind purchasing it again, loving it and all.

And I respectfully disagree with you Octavium on a lot of things, and this is coming from someone who's first metroid game was MOM and who doesn't find it horrible.

-Art 9/10
The art was alright.

-Setting 8/10,
No. Totally disagree. if anything was bland it would be the settings. Stereotypical ice place, lava place, and forest place? Boring.

-Combat Gameplay 6/10,
I say 3/10. Auto-aim is boring and the action-kills are far too easy to perform.
No skill or fun required = Bad gameplay.

-Progression 3/10(as linear as it gets),
I agree that MOM was linear but I don't think linearity is INHERENTLY a bad thing. That said, MOM did linearity wrong too.

-Story 3/10(cliche filled drama),
Now that I think about it, that story was cliche. I honestly can't name a single one but I'm afraid of looking at the list.
One thing I want to add to this though, and you didn't bring it up but I will, I genuinely applaud the attempt at giving Samus a personality. I've watched a video on YT where TheGamingBritShow says Samus doesn't need a personality or that her personality was shown through her smaller actions like her silent nods and hand gestures and stances. He is correct on both accounts; Samus does not need a personality. She is an avatar for the player. She need not be more. BUT if you want me to actually think something inside that armor actually has a personality, she better show it. Again, this isn't needed or even desired on my behalf, but it would be a waste of potential for nintendo's Batman. Now about that personality through small actions. Again true. She does show her personality through those. BUT those are so rare and so un-defining that you really can't express too much with those. There has been enough to confirm that Samus is NOT a psychopath or an emotionless robo-cop but if nintendo wants me to are about her as a human being and not my mindless avatar doing my bidding, she gotta show some more humanity. Now does the game series benefit from Samus' personality portrayal? Nope. In fact, I posit that it is the opposite. If samus were to show emotion it would take away from the metroid series' long standing characteristics of isolation and setting exploration with little given story.
Link to vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4mhp-8sOc (PS: Foul Language! U have been warned)

-Exploration(what the series is basically known for) None/10,
Not a bad thing for us who like the linear, but MOM did that bad too so..

-Loneliness and isolation(part of most metroid games) 2/10
Agreed

-New Suit design 4/10 (looks weak, whats with the pee shooter)
I do like the suit design. Better fits the action -orientated gameplay they had going. I will agree she didn't look comfortable in it but I feel the animations could have made that less a problem. *looks at Prime Samus* What's with the oversized, clunky cannon? At least the pee-shooter had more moving components, making it look cool in execution.

-Samus's Personality doesn't feel consistent with her fearless Actions in previous titles.
Good. The fearless make for boring characters. Too bad MOM still made Sam boring, or rather just not very good and a bit pathetic (I blame the sudden "traumatic Ridley Attack" on the writers for thinking that was good. It WOULD have been fine had they actually made it a point that Samus did have a problem with Ridley still and if the other past metroid games didn't invalidate the PTSD)

-Disconnect from Samus as the player (You know things she doesn't)
Agreed.

-Personal Enjoyment 2.5/10 (I expected better from Metroid)
1st play-through: Enjoyable. 2nd play-through: WTF! The critics were on to something!

I can understand somebody loving Metroid Other M, but man... calling it a masterpiece is a stretch!"
Hence my sarcasm. And I disagree again. I cannot understand a love for MOM. It simply has no merit to it. Now, that said, MOM was not trash. It is a mediocre game that does look like trash compared to the other Metroid games, but MOM obviously tried an entirely new thing so I believe it deserves to be reviewed separately.

Again, I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

Octavium

It was also my first metroid game, I might be remembering the art through rose-tainted glasses.

View attachment 37011
No. Totally disagree. if anything was bland it would be the settings. Stereotypical ice place, lava place, and forest place? Boring.
Again, it could just be my rose tainted glasses, but I was baffled enough to keep playing and discover more about the Metroid series.

View attachment 37011
I say 3/10. Auto-aim is boring and the action-kills are far too easy to perform.
No skill or fun required = Bad gameplay.
Well I thought it was a valiant attempt at merging 3d metroid and 2d metroid into one gameplay. Mostly the reasons I gave it points.

View attachment 37011
I agree that MOM was linear but I don't think linearity is INHERENTLY a bad thing. That said, MOM did linearity wrong too.
The linearity could very well be considered a horrible thing for a series known for its deep exploration.

View attachment 37011
I do like the suit design. Better fits the action -orientated gameplay they had going. I will agree she didn't look comfortable in it but I feel the animations could have made that less a problem. *looks at Prime Samus* What's with the oversized, clunky cannon? At least the pee-shooter had more moving components, making it look cool in execution.
In my personal opinion (which I am confident is shared by many), the powersuit has always been a big and intimidating piece of hardware, designed to mow through waves of enemies while giving Samus the necessary amount of tools to accomplish her journey. The bulky and powerful look of the powersuit is a sign of prestige that makes samus one truly ''epic'' female character. Instead of stappling the word badass on the character they show it through how she accomplishes her objectives and how she looks geared up. (the female form does not necessarily oftenly look epic for most of the younger audience of kids)
Having a ''slick'' and more feminine design doesn't help this. The change was unwelcomed.

View attachment 37011
Good. The fearless make for boring characters. Too bad MOM still made Sam boring, or rather just not very good and a bit pathetic (I blame the sudden "traumatic Ridley Attack" on the writers for thinking that was good. It WOULD have been fine had they actually made it a point that Samus did have a problem with Ridley still and if the other past metroid games didn't invalidate the PTSD)
There are those who may like colorful and abstract art and may think lowly of the colours gray and black for being bland... and uninteresting.

While others may truely enjoy art with minimal coloring, for them white, gray and black make the deepest and most emotional art. Needless to say these people may think lowly of colorful and abstract art because of their interpretation.

In my honest opinion, I believe the ''bland'' and fearless personality is the root of Samus's charm, while I agree that it may not require much effort to write such a personality, I believe females who share this personality in gaming are too rare to justify robbing Samus of it. For having 9 games that kept loyal to that personality, changing it is not welcomed.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
It was also my first metroid game, I might be remembering the art through rose-tainted glasses.
huh. Wasn't expecting anyone else to have the same "1st" experience as I had. It might be glasses, might not be.

Again, it could just be my rose tainted glasses, but I was baffled enough to keep playing and discover more about the Metroid series.
But when you did venture on to the other games what was their art like? Better than MOM's if we take into consideration the limitations for the times. MOM's environments were good enough for my first playthrough but definitely not the second. That playthrough was fueled for my desire of a 100% completion rate and taking a second look at the game for critical reasons. What do you see in it? And I don't mean that in a snarky attitude either. Genuine question.

Well I thought it was a valiant attempt at merging 3d metroid and 2d metroid into one gameplay. Mostly the reasons I gave it points.
It should be a game designer's job to determine if something works or not. It was a valiant attempt, but it was still just junk. It made the game feel like a 3d action-platformer confined to 2d spaces, forcing an uncomfortable feeling of physical limitation and claustrophobia. I applaud the attempt, but this was another thing that could have been avoided and noticed during development.

The linearity could very well be considered a horrible thing for a series known for its deep exploration.
Yes, yes it would. But I don't judge MOM with the other metroids due to having too many core differences (gameplay, story, etc.).

In my personal opinion (which I am confident is shared by many), the powersuit has always been a big and intimidating piece of hardware, designed to mow through waves of enemies while giving Samus the necessary amount of tools to accomplish her journey. The bulky and powerful look of the powersuit is a sign of prestige that makes samus one truly ''epic'' female character. Instead of stappling the word badass on the character they show it through how she accomplishes her objectives and how she looks geared up. (the female form does not necessarily oftenly look epic for most of the younger audience of kids)
Having a ''slick'' and more feminine design doesn't help this. The change was unwelcomed.
Agreed. The predecessors were more powerful and prestigious. Better suited for the "bland" Samus from past games. However, in MOM the writers specifically wanted a flawed Samus. The old powersuit would not have been as effective at portraying this as the newer one. And again, the more feminine form allows for those acrobatic take-out moves introduced in MOM, which would have looked awkward in the older, larger designs. (Summary, the old powersuit was too powerful for this Samus. Literally and figuratively.) Also, you are correct again. Kids probably won't find the feminine to be "epic." But I'm sure blasting an aliens head-off would!!
upload_2015-1-27_10-13-39.jpeg

Does the old powersuit ever do that!? *smugly grins*

There are those who may like colorful and abstract art and may think lowly of the colours gray and black for being bland... and uninteresting.

While others may truely enjoy art with minimal coloring, for them white, gray and black make the deepest and most emotional art. Needless to say these people may think lowly of colorful and abstract art because of their interpretation.

In my honest opinion, I believe the ''bland'' and fearless personality is the root of Samus's charm, while I agree that it may not require much effort to write such a personality, I believe females who share this personality in gaming are too rare to justify robbing Samus of it. For having 9 games that kept loyal to that personality, changing it is not welcomed.
And then there are those who can like both of the arts. Sucks I ain't one of them.

Samus' simplicity does have a charm to it, and is a rare specimen in female-video-game characters. Is it really that enjoyable though if the major part of a game is to enjoy a story about an emotionless/perfect brick? It worked best in the older Metroid games, where the whole enjoyment was for the exploration and gameplay and not at all the story. The writers thought it would be a good idea to start writing a story however, so she kinda needed some flesh (which they did a terrible job at). Had MOM no story, your preferred Sams would be best, because a video-game, especially a Metroid game, does not need a story or an interesting character to work.

Why do you feel something so simple deserves merit just because it is rare in a female-video-game character? If you want the best for females, don't you want to paint them as completely human? Flawed yet powerful enough to overcome their hubris'?
If you are arguing that women are portrayed as objects in video-games, wouldn't you want a fully-fleshed out human?

Octavium

As interesting as this conversation is, I feel it won't get anywhere, these concepts come down to preference.

I prefer the older style of Metroid games, which is also what most Metroid fans prefer. I'd be blind if I were to say they're flawless, they certainly have many flaws. But those ''flaws'' have been part of the series since the start and I find comfort in those ''flaws'', they are subjective to preference.

I'd rather not be the baby whining about the Metroid formula changing, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and there are enough squeaky wheels this time around to make Nintendo regret their attempt for changing that formula.

I'm also not much of a fan of too much ''realism'' or ''humanity'' in my games, gaming is my passtime and I prefer being far away from those things when I relax.

Metroid has a more fragile fanbase than Mario and Zelda, betraying the formula we got used to is not going to help.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
As interesting as this conversation is, I feel it won't get anywhere, these concepts come down to preference.

I prefer the older style of Metroid games, which is also what most Metroid fans prefer. I'd be blind if I were to say they're flawless, they certainly have many flaws. But those ''flaws'' have been part of the series since the start and I find comfort in those ''flaws'', they are subjective to preference.

I'd rather not be the baby whining about the Metroid formula changing, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and there are enough squeaky wheels this time around to make Nintendo regret their attempt for changing that formula.

I'm also not much of a fan of too much ''realism'' or ''humanity'' in my games, gaming is my passtime and I prefer being far away from those things when I relax.

Metroid has a more fragile fanbase than Mario and Zelda, betraying the formula we got used to is not going to help.
Sorry.I know this comes down to preference, but I simply like partaking in debates.

I like doing that so much I'm tempted to debate about those "flaws" (they aren't "flaws".) BUT we are probably clogging this forum and this is an endless cycle, so I'll stop.

Good discussion, Octavium. I hope you enjoyed our conversations as much as I did. Have a nice day.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
FlAlex said:
Well played, sir. Well played....

Thanks, I do hope I enjoy it too, but with college and other stuff, Sm4sh might just take priority. The trilogy will probably become another member of my bucket list (it's sad when you aren't even 20 and you already have a bucket list).

Are any of you guys gonna get it? It's probably gonna be $10 bucks while one sale like Punch out and Mario Galaxy 2 was. Sounds like you guys wouldn't mind purchasing it again, loving it and all.

Now that I think about it, that story was cliche. I honestly can't name a single one but I'm afraid of looking at the list.
One thing I want to add to this though, and you didn't bring it up but I will, I genuinely applaud the attempt at giving Samus a personality. I've watched a video on YT where TheGamingBritShow says Samus doesn't need a personality or that her personality was shown through her smaller actions like her silent nods and hand gestures and stances. He is correct on both accounts; Samus does not need a personality. She is an avatar for the player. She need not be more. BUT if you want me to actually think something inside that armor actually has a personality, she better show it. Again, this isn't needed or even desired on my behalf, but it would be a waste of potential for nintendo's Batman. Now about that personality through small actions. Again true. She does show her personality through those. BUT those are so rare and so un-defining that you really can't express too much with those. There has been enough to confirm that Samus is NOT a psychopath or an emotionless robo-cop but if nintendo wants me to are about her as a human being and not my mindless avatar doing my bidding, she gotta show some more humanity. Now does the game series benefit from Samus' personality portrayal? Nope. In fact, I posit that it is the opposite. If samus were to show emotion it would take away from the metroid series' long standing characteristics of isolation and setting exploration with little given story.
Ah, if you are focusing your free time on sm4sh then maybe you should wait till you're bored of sm4sh to start it. Prime games are massive, can take a long time, and you might get lost, bored and give up to play sm4sh. I'm not trying to put you off, as they are great games, but they are difficult and do demand commitment.

I won't be getting it as I haven't got a Wii U. It will probably look amazing through HDMI and all, so I'm missing out! Might have to get a Wii U one day!

Silent nods, hand gestures, stances, that's more than enough! Here in Britain or Finland she would be expressing enough.

Edit:
Samus' simplicity does have a charm to it, and is a rare specimen in female-video-game characters. Is it really that enjoyable though if the major part of a game is to enjoy a story about an emotionless/perfect brick? It worked best in the older Metroid games, where the whole enjoyment was for the exploration and gameplay and not at all the story. The writers thought it would be a good idea to start writing a story however, so she kinda needed some flesh (which they did a terrible job at). Had MOM no story, your preferred Sams would be best, because a video-game, especially a Metroid game, does not need a story or an interesting character to work.

Why do you feel something so simple deserves merit just because it is rare in a female-video-game character? If you want the best for females, don't you want to paint them as completely human? Flawed yet powerful enough to overcome their hubris'?
If you are arguing that women are portrayed as objects in video-games, wouldn't you want a fully-fleshed out human?
But Super Metroid tells a story with almost no words. They are scared to try it these days because they are spending so much money on graphics, music, so they don't want any players to miss the story, and they cheapen it by making it too explicit. Compare the original Legend of Zelda with Skyward Sword. The original still has a story, the player just has to witness it, to feel the significance of fighting Ganon through the trials of all those difficult dungeons. And then Ganon is hiding in the end, he's probably seen how strong Link has become and is terrified of him. Maybe it's easier for him to just give up the Princess, but Ganon has too much pride? Maybe the only thing making him carry on his wicked ways is his belief in the power of the triforce if he can get it. I don't know, but the lack of an overly explicit story lets the player come to their own interpretation. I think there's much less room for interpretation with Skyward Sword (and I do love Skyward Sword, don't get me wrong) because everything is explained so clearly... Too clearly!

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
I mained because of the pure sex that is charge shot smashes. I continue to main because masochism. All it takes is one stock from a charge shot after 15 consecutive losses and I'm switching colors and good to go again for another 15 rounds.

Also,

When I first played Smash 64 I was pretty much link for a good while. Then Samus became my bestie. I'd only played the first metroid, but it was one of the ones I loved. By the time I got Melee, I had played the snes and gameboy metroids, and Samus and link were still my goto characters. I also started playing metroid prime. By the time Brawl came out I had played the DS metroid and another gameboy metroid. Link was pretty much retired.

Looking back, I think I like Samus most from the smash games. Yeah, Metroid is super fun and unique (at the time). Samus was a badass in those games. But the badassery of Samus in smash, was for me, more badass. So when I think "Samus" my first thoughts now go to Smash, not metroid.

Its weird I guess. Zelda 64 and Chrono Trigger are still tied as my favorite games. Link is now a secondary I suppose. Metroid probably makes the top 10 somewhere.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Ah, if you are focusing your free time on sm4sh then maybe you should wait till you're bored of sm4sh to start it. Prime games are massive, can take a long time, and you might get lost, bored and give up to play sm4sh. I'm not trying to put you off, as they are great games, but they are difficult and do demand commitment.

I won't be getting it as I haven't got a Wii U. It will probably look amazing through HDMI and all, so I'm missing out! Might have to get a Wii U one day!

Silent nods, hand gestures, stances, that's more than enough! Here in Britain or Finland she would be expressing enough.

Edit:

But Super Metroid tells a story with almost no words. They are scared to try it these days because they are spending so much money on graphics, music, so they don't want any players to miss the story, and they cheapen it by making it too explicit. Compare the original Legend of Zelda with Skyward Sword. The original still has a story, the player just has to witness it, to feel the significance of fighting Ganon through the trials of all those difficult dungeons. And then Ganon is hiding in the end, he's probably seen how strong Link has become and is terrified of him. Maybe it's easier for him to just give up the Princess, but Ganon has too much pride? Maybe the only thing making him carry on his wicked ways is his belief in the power of the triforce if he can get it. I don't know, but the lack of an overly explicit story lets the player come to their own interpretation. I think there's much less room for interpretation with Skyward Sword (and I do love Skyward Sword, don't get me wrong) because everything is explained so clearly... Too clearly!
Problem is, I don't get tired of Smash. Ever.

I don't know if a wiiu is worth it just for the trilogy and sm4sh. That's a lot of money. I mean, if you are interested in other games then sure, but to be honest, I am still a bit disappointed with the WiiU. I was expecting more games. It will look great though, well great for a port anyhow.

What do her gestures tell you? I haven't actually played the games but from what I remember from the playthroughs I've watched, she wasn't allowed to much time for such gestures. I'm sure you can tell a story that way but it's a little hard to do so in 1st person.

Super Metroid did tell a story without words. I very simple story. Not a bad thing at all, but if a game wants something ..."deeper," it will require some dialogue. The dialogue shouldn't tell the story, but I feel dialogue reveals characters in ways that would be cumbersome to do without. Words play a big part in every story and not just for advancing the plot (which they should rarely do and when they do, better be done well).

Perhaps I have too large a disconnect with games in general, but I never really felt a story while playing dialogue-free games. Zelda one didn't leave much of a personal connection with me and no other games do except for ones that have dialogue (I love you Pokemon Mystery Dungeon). With games like Zelda 1, I only get a sense of what is obviously portrayed to me or told directly. I don't like to add to the story because then it just feels like I'm adding fanfiction. I'm not a believer that everyone's interpretation is "correct." the author wrote it, none of us did, why should I add my interpretation to something that was made for a specific purpose. Even if these simple-storied games were meant to be open to various interpretations, I still find the idea ...uh...Pointless. To use an example, what does the billboard in the Great Gatsby signify? Whatever the author intended. If it wasn't intended for anything then it's just a billboard physically so why open it to interpretation? I should use another example in case you've never read the Great Gatsby (I don't expect you to know it, it just happens to be my favorite novel). If I were to die drunk after my Girlfriend ditched me and my dream job was taken from me, what is their to interpret? Nothing. There is no meaning to the physical, no message from a god. I died. I was drunk. I lost things I loved. Probably too depressed to live on. Whatever cannot be verified should not be added to the over-all story, I feel. The only time something should be given a symbolic value is when it is clearly made to be symbolic much like the billboards in the Great Gatsby, This is known however, because of the diction used to describe the billboard by the author. Any other interpretation and you are incorrectly reading the authors intended purpose. Therefore, it is incorrect (unless that interpretation makes more sense than the author's. At that point, the author "said" something he didn't mean to say, but he said it anyways, and it cannot be taken back).

So in Zelda 1's case. I know whatever the intro-dialogue gave me. I know Link began his journey in an open field, empty handed. What did he do to get there? Don't know. He went into a cave, for certain, and was handed a sword from an old man in that cave. What was link's interaction with the old man like? Unknown. He was probably happy to get the sword though, since he championed it above his head and the jingle played, so the creators are obviously hinting at accomplishment or joy. Link continued on to beat several dungeons, slay multiple monsters, etc. What were his thoughts and emotions through those times? Unknown. It's not told or hinted at. We could imagine likely possibilities, but without proof why argue for such things?
In the end , the story boils down to Link killed monsters and Ganon, freed Zelda, and collected the triforce pieces. Nothing else was told, so it's not cannon.

Great discussion, BeardHawk. Now something... a little more fun: How did you come up with your name, if you don't mind me asking?

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Problem is, I don't get tired of Smash. Ever.

I don't know if a wiiu is worth it just for the trilogy and sm4sh. That's a lot of money. I mean, if you are interested in other games then sure, but to be honest, I am still a bit disappointed with the WiiU. I was expecting more games. It will look great though, well great for a port anyhow.

What do her gestures tell you? I haven't actually played the games but from what I remember from the playthroughs I've watched, she wasn't allowed to much time for such gestures. I'm sure you can tell a story that way but it's a little hard to do so in 1st person.

Super Metroid did tell a story without words. I very simple story. Not a bad thing at all, but if a game wants something ..."deeper," it will require some dialogue. The dialogue shouldn't tell the story, but I feel dialogue reveals characters in ways that would be cumbersome to do without. Words play a big part in every story and not just for advancing the plot (which they should rarely do and when they do, better be done well).

Perhaps I have too large a disconnect with games in general, but I never really felt a story while playing dialogue-free games. Zelda one didn't leave much of a personal connection with me and no other games do except for ones that have dialogue (I love you Pokemon Mystery Dungeon). With games like Zelda 1, I only get a sense of what is obviously portrayed to me or told directly. I don't like to add to the story because then it just feels like I'm adding fanfiction. I'm not a believer that everyone's interpretation is "correct." the author wrote it, none of us did, why should I add my interpretation to something that was made for a specific purpose. Even if these simple-storied games were meant to be open to various interpretations, I still find the idea ...uh...Pointless. To use an example, what does the billboard in the Great Gatsby signify? Whatever the author intended. If it wasn't intended for anything then it's just a billboard physically so why open it to interpretation? I should use another example in case you've never read the Great Gatsby (I don't expect you to know it, it just happens to be my favorite novel). If I were to die drunk after my Girlfriend ditched me and my dream job was taken from me, what is their to interpret? Nothing. There is no meaning to the physical, no message from a god. I died. I was drunk. I lost things I loved. Probably too depressed to live on. Whatever cannot be verified should not be added to the over-all story, I feel. The only time something should be given a symbolic value is when it is clearly made to be symbolic much like the billboards in the Great Gatsby, This is known however, because of the diction used to describe the billboard by the author. Any other interpretation and you are incorrectly reading the authors intended purpose. Therefore, it is incorrect (unless that interpretation makes more sense than the author's. At that point, the author "said" something he didn't mean to say, but he said it anyways, and it cannot be taken back).

So in Zelda 1's case. I know whatever the intro-dialogue gave me. I know Link began his journey in an open field, empty handed. What did he do to get there? Don't know. He went into a cave, for certain, and was handed a sword from an old man in that cave. What was link's interaction with the old man like? Unknown. He was probably happy to get the sword though, since he championed it above his head and the jingle played, so the creators are obviously hinting at accomplishment or joy. Link continued on to beat several dungeons, slay multiple monsters, etc. What were his thoughts and emotions through those times? Unknown. It's not told or hinted at. We could imagine likely possibilities, but without proof why argue for such things?
In the end , the story boils down to Link killed monsters and Ganon, freed Zelda, and collected the triforce pieces. Nothing else was told, so it's not cannon.

Great discussion, BeardHawk. Now something... a little more fun: How did you come up with your name, if you don't mind me asking?
Sm4sh is endless fun, we should write their adverts.

That's right. There are a few games on the Wii U that I'd like to play, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, but I'm not desperate enough to play them to spend hundreds of pounds on a console. I generally lag behind the console generations, buy the old one second hand when the new one comes out. For example, now you can pick up a Wii for about thirty pounds, and most games are about ten pounds max, I'll probably wait till Wii U is a bit older.

Back to the topic of the thread, I suppose one of the things Iike about Samus is how she just gets on and does the job (in most of the games), and nothing seems to make her scared or hesitant. I guess you could say the same about Link, and I like Link as well, used to use him in Smash. It's not that I only like emotionless killing machines, because I'll be sitting there behind the screen terrified of the Redeads, or the Hands that crawl in the forest temple, or Fission Metroids, but at least I can depend on my character to not drop their sword or do something stupid. I don't know.

The name beard hawk eh. I use Captain Falcon in his red costume on Melee. The red version of Capt has Blood Hawk on the back of his shirt (it's the name of his car). It's meant to be a play on that. Since then I've thought of about ten better names, but oh well. I made a profile picture in microsoft paint, I'll put that back, make it a complete package again.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Sm4sh is endless fun, we should write their adverts.

That's right. There are a few games on the Wii U that I'd like to play, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, but I'm not desperate enough to play them to spend hundreds of pounds on a console. I generally lag behind the console generations, buy the old one second hand when the new one comes out. For example, now you can pick up a Wii for about thirty pounds, and most games are about ten pounds max, I'll probably wait till Wii U is a bit older.

Back to the topic of the thread, I suppose one of the things Iike about Samus is how she just gets on and does the job (in most of the games), and nothing seems to make her scared or hesitant. I guess you could say the same about Link, and I like Link as well, used to use him in Smash. It's not that I only like emotionless killing machines, because I'll be sitting there behind the screen terrified of the Redeads, or the Hands that crawl in the forest temple, or Fission Metroids, but at least I can depend on my character to not drop their sword or do something stupid. I don't know.

The name beard hawk eh. I use Captain Falcon in his red costume on Melee. The red version of Capt has Blood Hawk on the back of his shirt (it's the name of his car). It's meant to be a play on that. Since then I've thought of about ten better names, but oh well. I made a profile picture in microsoft paint, I'll put that back, make it a complete package again.
Just because someone is scared doesn't mean they have to wimp out. Like Nelson Mandela said, courage is "not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." Now, for most games having your avatar drop their swords is stupid because their gameplay is based on fighting and they focus more on being a game. This is why for games meant to be about fun then that it would really stupid to pull a PTSD attack like in Metroid Other M. BUT, portraying fear through such an action can be quite effective if this video game also had a big emphasis on story/philosophy. One such example is MetalGearRising:Revengeance. In a small section of the game, your avatar, Raiden, has been demoralized due to disillusionment and can no longer wield his sword while enemies attack him. Its games like these that i'd like to see more of (just not from already established games).

I was wondering what happened to that sexy picture of yours! Love seeing that profile pic. I guess it would only be fair to tell where my name comes from. I currently reside in Florida and it's initials are Fl. My name is Alex. Add these two together and viola, you get FlAlex! A name so stupid that there is NO possible way anyone else could have it already. I find originality to be an important aspect since the community is so large and I am a newb here.

Thanks for the conversation, BeardHawk (don't ever replace your profile pic! It's too d*mn nice!)

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Just because someone is scared doesn't mean they have to wimp out. Like Nelson Mandela said, courage is "not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." Now, for most games having your avatar drop their swords is stupid because their gameplay is based on fighting and they focus more on being a game. This is why for games meant to be about fun then that it would really stupid to pull a PTSD attack like in Metroid Other M. BUT, portraying fear through such an action can be quite effective if this video game also had a big emphasis on story/philosophy. One such example is MetalGearRising:Revengeance. In a small section of the game, your avatar, Raiden, has been demoralized due to disillusionment and can no longer wield his sword while enemies attack him. Its games like these that i'd like to see more of (just not from already established games).

I was wondering what happened to that sexy picture of yours! Love seeing that profile pic. I guess it would only be fair to tell where my name comes from. I currently reside in Florida and it's initials are Fl. My name is Alex. Add these two together and viola, you get FlAlex! A name so stupid that there is NO possible way anyone else could have it already. I find originality to be an important aspect since the community is so large and I am a newb here.

Thanks for the conversation, BeardHawk (don't ever replace your profile pic! It's too d*mn nice!)
I've heard similar quotes as well! Your country had a general in WW2, Patton, who said a similar thing about fear. The guy who trained Mike Tyson also said something similar once, his name was Cus D'Amato. He said that the difference between a hero and a coward isn't fear. They both are scared, but the hero acts even though he's scared, he doesn't let fear stop him.

Thanks Alex, at least your name makes some sense! I took down the avatar since being in the Samus forum with a Falcon avatar, I didn't want to seem like an invader. I never have secondaries you see. For Melee I ONLY use Falcon, for Sm4sh I ONLY use Samus. That way I avoid getting confused between versions and ruining my melee Falcon by playing as him on sm4sh, or ruining my sm4sh Samus by playing as her in melee.

Cheers FlAlex, nice talking to you!

KopAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopalex
And the difficulty in the Zamus vs. Samus MU is the reason why I picked up Pikachu (well, that and I loved a pikachu I saw on Clash tournaments a while ago, though I forgot his name). Why use a character unsuited for the MU when their are plenty of other characters I love to use?
Could be Esam. I think he's pretty good. At least he's sponsored by Clash tournaments and fought M2K in finals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIHdjPaSrQ
He's also a very good Samus in Melee and Project M. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJsdGYWGU8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3K6h9a4fM
That face also.

Last edited:

KopAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopalex
The Galaxys most successful Bounty Hunter who's slayed hundreds of Metroids and Space Pirates in additions to blowing up planets.
In case that isn't nuff said I'm a fan of Metroid and all the exploration, becoming stronger and shooting the super cool looking monsters in your super awesome Chozo Armor.
But yeah, Not gonna start blabbling about Metroid too much. Prime trilogy being the first Metroids I beat.
And last year got Super Metroid for 30 cents on Wii U's Famicom 30th anniversary Sale and just beat Metroid Fusion yesterday. Original Metroid being a bit too brutal and clunky for me to enjoy as much.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
The Galaxys most successful Bounty Hunter who's slayed hundreds of Metroids and Space Pirates in additions to blowing up planets.
In case that isn't nuff said I'm a fan of Metroid and all the exploration, becoming stronger and shooting the super cool looking monsters in your super awesome Chozo Armor.
But yeah, Not gonna start blabbling about Metroid too much. Prime trilogy being the first Metroids I beat.
And last year got Super Metroid for 30 cents on Wii U's Famicom 30th anniversary Sale and just beat Metroid Fusion yesterday. Original Metroid being a bit too brutal and clunky for me to enjoy as much.
If you download a map for Original Metroid it makes it easier to get into. It's a great pick up and play game in my opinion. Doesn't feel too grandiose. Can be completed within an evening pretty easily.

SirSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2938-6338-4272
Switch FC
5886-4521-4308
My love for the metroid series and just how she fights in smash. To me it just felt....right

KopAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopalex
If you download a map for Original Metroid it makes it easier to get into. It's a great pick up and play game in my opinion. Doesn't feel too grandiose. Can be completed within an evening pretty easily.
Yeah I know. Probably have one in MetroidDatabase. Been mainly reading those different metroid comics from there.

KopAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopalex
THAT was his name. Thanks for reminding me!
You're welcome.
Man, forgot how tedious it is to watch those 30 minute finals. But I think he's inspiring to watch as Samus. (Even though it's not Sm4sh so this is getting a bit off topic)

Top Bottom