• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main ness?

Daltonthelou

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm curious as to why you chose Ness as your main and what it is that attracted you to him in the first place.

I chose ness when I started playing smash competitively early this year because with my limited knowledge of the smash community at the time I wanted to play a character I had not seen anybody play. But what attracts me to him now is how fluid his movement feels and DJCs are amazing. Plus I like having a pseudo shine that not only looks cool but feels satisfying when you use it in combos.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound is one of the first games I remember playing, but I never got to own it, so I could only play when I went to my friends house, which wasn't often. My two friends and I played on a file my name in Ness' place the other two as Jeff and Poo (Girls were still gross back then). When I saw Ness in Melee I knew who I wanted to play, so after unlocking everyone he was the only one I played up until my a few months ago when I decided to pick up Diddy and Shiek as seconds in PM

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I liked Ness in Brawl and it carried over to PM

Dragrin

Smash Rookie
I got destroyed in a tourney by ness back when I played falco and I just loved watching his combos. I picked him up and have never been sad about it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
when i realized that he had both the melee djc and the brawl rising aerial, and also the n64 dair, i knew he'd be broken

the pk fire activating on shield was just an unexpected bonus for me

--|====> MANIA

Smash Rookie
I got Project M in early August 2014. I played Melee as a child and Brawl when I got older, so I essentially had (have) no tech skill. I started off playing characters like Toon Link because I wanted to use a character that required more zoning and stage control smarts (reminiscent of Brawl) than tech skill. I started by training against CPUs and I had consistent trouble with two CPUs in particular: Mario and Ness. The movement on the Lv. 9 CPU Ness was ridiculous to me. After watching a few of Bryonato's videos, I currently find Ness really interesting to play and use him to train tech skill. I would've mained Lucas due to similiar controller inputs with PSI magnet and DJC and also due to his seemingly better mobility and combo potential, but everyone seems to play Lucas, so that'd have been boring.

Last edited:

CaptinMoses

Smash Cadet
I played him very briefly in Brawl (not competitively) and when I started playing PM properly, I realized I was bad at playing Snake, who at the time I wanted to main. Then I picked Ness... And he just sort of felt right.
I like his play style and grab-centric combo game.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
like some other people in this thread, ever since I played MOTHER 2 for the first time 4 years ago, I've loved Ness. He's been my go-to character in Smash 64 ever since, and when I saw Ness had all of his 64 tactics and more in PM I felt I just had to pick him up

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I liked Ness in Brawl and it carried over to PM
This. After getting pummeled by some really good Ness players in Brawl, I picked him up for fun and got pretty decent with him. The transfer from Brawl to PM was kinda rough since I couldn't use some approaches options as freely (due to crouch canceling), but once I got the hang of DJC and getting accustomed to his PSI Magnet (as well as basic stuff like wavedashing and dash dancing) I got comfortable with using him pretty rapidly.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Well I don't main ness

But I did when I was 9-14 and here is why.

Kids said Ness sux, I was better than most kids (look at me now! How the mighty have fallen!) so I played Yoshi and Ness.

After some time I started to hear "you have so much practice with that up-b that now it is just cheap of you to play Ness"

I would play a bit of Pikachu or DK (???) and they would allow me my Ness again...

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Ness is my favorite video game character and I could rant about everything Earthbound did right for hours. Also I suck with my other favorite cast member so I take what I can get.

Kenkoku

Smash Rookie
Well, when a friend of mine introduced me to Melee, I took a quick look at the roster, and didn't recognize a few characters, like Marth and G&W. When I asked my friend, he explained the origin of all these characters, what universe/game they came from...except for Ness. That red-hat raven-haired boy was the biggest enigma to me, and as a result, I did a little research, and determined that this was the biggest badass in gaming yet. So, I played him in Melee, Brawl, and now Project M. I have played Earthbound, but have never beaten it. It's a hard game, yo...

Edit: I love Pokemon, but I could never play any of the Pokemon characters well...

Last edited:

FamiGrafx

Smash Rookie
It took me eons in Smash 64 before learning that he was in the game at all. I was eight or nine or something and completely awful at the game, so unlocking him was a challenge. It seemed a shame not to use him after that. I've used him ever since.

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
I've always loved Earthbound, since I was a little babby watching my big bro play it. I thought Ness as a character was really cool, and I liked him a lot in Smash 64. I didn't like him too much in Melee or Brawl, so it was a bit disappointing. I really liked how he felt in PM though, so it was really satisfying. Plus his playstyle feels very nice, and I love doing combos that end in bairs. So satisfying

silkys

Smash Cadet
At my first real tournament I ended up watching some high level Ness play and I kinda fell in love. Since I had some experience playing him with my friends in PM 3.0, I figured I'd actually start playing him seriously. Haven't regretted it since.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I main Ness BECAUSE HE'S A MOTHA ****IN BALLER

Squ0ldrive

Smash Apprentice
I mained kirby for six years, I took my kirby to a melee tourament and got wrecked by a samus(4 stocked) first game, So I asked a friend who was samus worse match up and he said Ness. Stortly I found and fell in love with Earthbound and been playing him ever since. Right now, I swing shift, him and my Lucas. Ya I only play Mother characters. LoL

Darth Shard

Dark Lord of the Smash Bros.
I started playing competitively at the end of last summer, in 3.02. I was a Meta Knight main. In 3.5, I abandoned Meta Knight, both because of the changes that made the character feel less fun for me, as well as generally feeling like he was a clunky character who I had trouble moving around with. Ness was a character I had been messing around with in friendlies, and, after some encouragement from some top players, I made the switch. I've been training with a member of our PR who is a Ness main and haven't looked back!

Boiko

:drshrug:
I started playing competitively at the end of last summer, in 3.02. I was a Meta Knight main. In 3.5, I abandoned Meta Knight, both because of the changes that made the character feel less fun for me, as well as generally feeling like he was a clunky character who I had trouble moving around with. Ness was a character I had been messing around with in friendlies, and, after some encouragement from some top players, I made the switch. I've been training with a member of our PR who is a Ness main and haven't looked back!
Nice! MK was my secondary in 3.02, but I also dropped him in 3.5, basically for the same reasons. He just didn't feel as smooth.

Who is the Ness main that you train with?

Darth Shard

Nice! MK was my secondary in 3.02, but I also dropped him in 3.5, basically for the same reasons. He just didn't feel as smooth.

Who is the Ness main that you train with?
Yeah I train with a guy who goes by "Gazer." I don't think there are many if any VODS of him playing, and generally the MN Smash scene is pretty unknown afaik, so you probably haven't heard of him, but he is currently #10 on our PM PR. Gazer, myself, and one other Ness main from our area unofficially call ourselves the "Ness Alliance" :p unfortunately Gazer is moving to SoCal at the end of the month, which is sad because he has also become one of my closest friends through Smash Bros. I guess that just means I have to step up and hold it down for the Ness Alliance!

Darth Shard

I'm definitely on the way up. I was one stock away from making it out of pools for the first time last Saturday, at possibly our state's biggest tournament ever, and I only lost in winner's to Kels and in loser's it was last stock game 3 versus one of our state's top Falco players. Happy to see marked improvement in my play and in my efforts, and I'll keep improving for myself and for all of the Ness players out there.

ilysm

sleepy
I guess I should share my Ness story! I've been playing Smash (mostly casual Brawl, which I knew nearly nothing about) for a while now, but I only got into competitive quite recently—early this past summer. Basically I was on a trip to Texas, and to pass the time I played through the Subspace Emissary again with some buds. I actually played mostly as Zelda at the time, but when we replayed the level with Porky in it, I remembered just how creepy he was. I thought, "This is awfully unsettling for a Nintendo game. I wonder what series he's from?" So I did some Googling and found out more about the MOTHER series. I'd heard about the game once or twice before but now my interest was piqued. Before we left Texas I acquired and played through the original MOTHER and I fell in love with the series pretty much instantly. So on the road I basically labbed Ness over and over and gradually discovered the competitive side of the game. I found out about PM when it was mentioned in an online video tutorial. Mained Ness in every game ever since. Though he is also the character that feels the most natural to me, I've gotta say. I love his DJC, his crazy magnet tricks, his bizarre yo-yo smashes, his ridiculous combo/punish game, his awesome taunts, all of it. He's such a fun, weird character—it matches up with my favorite game series perfectly.

Last edited:

Gazer

Smash Rookie
Sup guys? After 4 years of smash I finally got around to making a smashboards account. (Go me!)

My name is Gazer and I main Ness in PM in the state of MN. I started playing Ness in brawl (eventually switched to Lucas but brawl tho...) out of random. My room mate (acquaintance at the time) chose Mario against me and didnt want me to "take his main" since I told him I played the Doc in Melee. So Ness was the dude that won me my first game of brawl and it worked out. Now I cant get off the character because Ness straight wrecks people.

Also like Darth Shard above was saying, I have been training people in the art of Ness because people sleep on the character too much. I do however still want to improve badly, so any direction towards "How to get better with Ness" you have... Lead me there.

BaconBurgerKing

Smash Rookie
I started playing Ness right around the exact time I got into competitive. One random night I decided to play through all of Melee's events to finally unlock all the stuff I never did when I was younger. I was breezing through until I got to event 36, the one featuring Ness vs. Samus, Kirby, Fox, Falco, and Falcon. God damn I hated that event so much. It took me a solid hour or so to finally get through it, but honestly I regret nothing. Before I played that event I thought that Ness was a waste of a slot of a character and was just borderline useless. But then I actually played him and I learned the true power of the PK Kid. I learned that PK Fire is awesome, the grab game is too strong, PK Flash is pure beauty, and on top of all of this, I learned about PKT2. As soon as I learned about PKT2 I knew that this kid was gonna go places. Maybe not in Melee, but I digress.

Fast forward a few days later and I'm playing Brawl (this was still before I actually got into competitive) and I decided to try Ness. I definitely liked him in Brawl, not as much as Lucas maybe, but I definitely enjoyed what he had going for him. He would've ended up as my fourth and final Brawl main if it weren't for Project M being introduced to my life. I never actually got to try my Brawl Ness against another person...

The day I got Project M and loaded it up, I was so pumped to try out all of my Brawl mains in it. And wouldn't you know it... at first, I hated every single one of them. I was bored of Ike from Brawl and that carried over, Captain Falcon wasn't doing it for me, and Lucas... oh boy, before I learned how much of an improvement he got, I DESPISED PM Lucas. I guess my mind couldn't understand how good he actually was. Then I realized that there was one more character to test: Ness. And I loved him right away.

The next day I took PM to my friend's house and we decided to play around a bit. We were all pretty casual but out of all of us, I was definitely the best. My poor friends had no idea what they were in for... FOUR STOCK, FOUR STOCK, FOUR STOCK, FOUR STOCK, etc... it was pretty dirty. And from that day on, I've held the PK Kid in high regard and have kept him as my PM main. Though I find Mario to be more reliable for me at the moment (and my Fox is getting pretty decent too), Ness will always have his use as a main for me.

The PK Kid shall live on :ness64: :nessmelee: :ness2: :4ness:

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
My mother told me once that it was acceptable in society to wear your hat normally or backwards, but never to the side. She said it promoted gangs and whatnot. Then, when I found out that there was a Nintendo character that wore his hat to the side... man that's ****ing baller.

And he uses yo-yos, bats, and has telekinetic powers?
That's a bonus.

Top Bottom