• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do yoshi players sheildroll?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Hi all. I'm pretty new to playing yoshi and am a Doctor mario player. I'm starting to play yoshi cos I haven't got a 2nd character and it'd be good to have one. And I like yoshi. His moves are so good.
But anyway I posted to ask what is it about yoshi's sheild roll. A lot of yoshi players do this more than wavedashing. Why would you when yoshis wd is good?

Thanks in advance

Fletch

Smash Master
I don't play Yoshi, but I think you see Yoshi players roll out of their shield often because Yoshi is the only character that cannot jump out of his shield, thus limiting his options.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
Yoshi players sheild roll probably because they can have a better chance of dodging an attack.

-PM-

Smash Ace
well i second yoshi and i sheild roll cause its easy to get a crouch a off and then nair then combo out of the sheild

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Generally good Yoshi players don't roll in replacement of wavedashing. They roll when wavedashing wouldn't be useful.

And yes, Yoshi can't wavedash out of shield, which is a reason why Yoshi wavedashes less than most characters.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
You can grab, dodge or just let go of L or R.

I love how people who bash yoshi go on about the fact that he cant jump out of his sheild. So what? He has great range and priority and he owns

Bloshi

Smash Ace
You can grab, dodge or just let go of L or R.

I love how people who bash yoshi go on about the fact that he cant jump out of his sheild. So what? He has great range and priority and he owns
None of which lead quickly into a wavedash. Well, not quickly enough to be useful, since wavedashing with Yoshi is more of a spacing thing than an offensive thing.

Oh yeah, yoshi's grab is slow, which makes it hard to do a shieldgrab in most situations.

The roll doesn't really suck, so it's fine.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
It's an average technique for Yoshi. Perhaps the fact that you can't see Yoshi throws people off, thinking there's some sort of advantage to it.

Dash grab from a shield tends to work better than regular grab. Either one is a poor option out of a shield in most situations, though.

Hyper Tails1

Smash Apprentice
I find that just letting go of the shield is more usefull than roll dodging as there's a chance the person missess an L cancel or I can get a quick up tilt in. Also light shielding is an option to get away aswell.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yoshi's letting go of the shield will lag more than anyone else's too, eliminating that as an option in many situations. Most of the time, the roll is the best option.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Yoshi is invulnerable for the whole of the dodge animation unlike every other character who can be hit at the begining and end of their animations. It's a good spacing move with the speed and range of his down smash and even his neutral A.
Also what Emmy said, Yoshi can jump out of his shield, that (amazingly cool) loser...

Yoshi has the best dodge in the game. That's why people use it.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not invulnerable for the whole animation. Fox standing lasers are the perfect height for hitting you. The hit box is tiny, but its there. Also, it's vulnerable for more frames than every other roll in the game.

park5150

Smash Ace
It's not invulnerable for the whole animation. Fox standing lasers are the perfect height for hitting you. The hit box is tiny, but its there. Also, it's vulnerable for more frames than every other roll in the game.
this is true, but its also very awkard for an opponent to see yoshi roll becuase he is in an egg. and also yoshi roll itself is very strange. but i have learned that you should light sheild a lot because it sends way out there and will be very confuseing for the opponent, so mix it up

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
I'm a Peach and I'm fairly new to Yoshi so I can't say much, but I can say that Yoshi's roll can be used if wavedashing won't get you what you want.

It probably shouldn't be too overused though...

Felenar

Smash Rookie
I am a yoshi user and I shield roll because yoshi's shield works differently from all of the other shields. their are many attacks that would work on other characters that just get wasted on yoshi's shield.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
On another note, Yoshi's side dodge is NOT invulnerable throughout the entire animation. I can't tell you how many times I've been grabbed during the end of a dodge.

Remember: Yoshi's opening shield frames (When he first goes into his shield) eliminates his hitboxes. Essentially, being able to time shielding can eliminate the chances of being grabbed while going into shield.

Hyper Tails1

Smash Apprentice
I've always wondered why I didnt get grabbed sometimes...assumed it was a exclusive glitch or somethin'

Either way...A good mix up of Dodge rollin' and simpling letting go seemes to work best for me.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Oh yes, yes I love when people whiff grabs on Yoshi because of those frames of invulnerability. It is oh so sweet. And then they say, "wtf" , and you're all like "Yoshi in yo face foo!" and then they get up and leave, except for that last part. And then you explain it to them and they all like, "I wantsa play Yoshiiiiiiiiii toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Top Bottom