• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do we have the love?

Gooberly

Smash Rookie
Now, we here all love games. I am a massive fan of all sorts of games.
But my question is:
Why? Why do we love these pixelated animations of creatures, people and animals bouncing about in a few different environments? What is the attraction to spend hours of your life infront of a television or a computer screen pressing buttons and watching a living being carry out our desires?

Goober =]

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Because without a hobby such as gaming, I'd probably do drugs.

...I'd likely have a great deal more money as well, but hey--you can't take it with you. :D

I fell in love with games early on during my childhood, and it's a life-long fascination, passion, and hobby that will--God willing--stay with me throughout my life. Some people are music nuts. Some people are movie nuts. Hell, some people are scrapbooking nuts.

I'm a video game nut.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well, if I wasn't into video games, I would be one rich man, anyway I find that they are addictring because of the sense it gives my or rather a certain "rush" when it comes to playing in critical moments of a video game, such as being on your last life/little health and desperatly trying not to die and make it out alive, y'know that kind of feeling.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Compared to Hollow Bastian, this world is too dull. Compared to school, the Ninja Academy pwns it.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Is this some kind of Trick question?

With out video games i probably watch T.V all day and get more fat..or do drugs. I swear that video games give you the same rush as some drugs. Not that i tried any. Too be honest i some times sleep with my first ever video game. Mario Bros 3.

Gooberly

Smash Rookie
From what i am hearing it seems that drugs are second nature to us, games being first.
Or is it the fascination with them that would attract us if we could get off our ***** and find a dealer?

derek.haines

Smash Ace
From what i am hearing it seems that drugs are second nature to us, games being first.
Or is it the fascination with them that would attract us if we could get off our ***** and find a dealer?
It's more like, "Video Games: My Anti-Drug." Not having video games in many of our lives would leave us with enormous amounts of free time in which to experiment with other activities--including, but not limited to, drugs. As it stands, we have video games and thus lack the time (or the desire) in which to experiment with many other activities.

I'd say the percentage of drug users, particularly hard drug users, is much lower among the gaming population than among the total population.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I just like playing them, they are fun to play with friends, or alone, although I prefer getting with some friends IRL and playing a few good multiplayer games.

On the whole drugs versus videogames thing.
NA could begin giving out gaming consoles to those addicted to drugs to replace the habit.
1. People who are fine could have a choice between a 360 or PS3.
2. Those who have caused damage to their mind would receive a Wii console along with a copy of Wii Music and
Just joking around on the latter statement, don't take it seriously

PCHU

Smash Lord
I like games for the variety.

Let's look down the list of my favorites (not very long).

SSB
The series that started this community.
This is about as unique and awesome as it gets.
You have your favorite characters from animes and games fighting each other.
I don't see how you couldn't smile at something like this.
I mean, the concept of having Mario against Kirby is really cool.

Touhou
I don't even have any of the games, but it rocks anyway.
SHMUPS are awesome enough (I prefer dodging bullets rather than shooting down planes).
But the second someone introduces an actual STORYLINE and anime characters to go with it, I would say that's something special.
Not only do you play as people, dodge bullets, and shoot down various other beings, but it makes you THINK.
I love puzzles, but hate puzzle games.
But when it's a "Figure it out or flippin' DIE" situation, I like them.
This is the case with Touhou.
It also tests your hand-to-eye coordination (As does every game), but more than many other games.
You must figure out how to dodge the spellcard (aka bullets) and you have to figure out how to kill the boss at the same time.

I'm going to stop here.
But basically, I like them because they're unique.
Super Smash Brothers is quite competitive, has popular anime and OTHER video game characters, and throws in nametags and colors.
It defines who you are, if you look at it.
I like the Christmas colors of Brawl (green n' red), and I have a very cool( I say green and minty), yet aggressive playstyle (there goes the red).
You see?

Touhou is just awesome.
Tells an interesting story, and you get to shoot down anime characters, while dodging complex patterns of bullets, aka spell cards.

Sorry for the mini WOT (Wall of Text, more like Lego Fortress of Text in this case).

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Video games are like interactive books, you get to visit creative places and actually influence what happens to the characters.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i play video games to get away from my horrible life.

not really.

i play them cuz their fun

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Because without a hobby such as gaming, I'd probably do drugs.

...I'd likely have a great deal more money as well, but hey--you can't take it with you. :D

I fell in love with games early on during my childhood, and it's a life-long fascination, passion, and hobby that will--God willing--stay with me throughout my life. Some people are music nuts. Some people are movie nuts. Hell, some people are scrapbooking nuts.

I'm a video game nut.
LOL well said, well said.

Top Bottom