• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people say U-Throw is bad?

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
U-Throw almost always leads into a Fair > Fair or Fair > Nair combo. Even at mid-percents.

Hell, if you're lucky you could probably start the match off with something like U-Throw > Fair > Fair > Fair > Nair > F-Throw.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I personally think it's better for combos, but when Lucario gets to a higher percent, a F-Throw is better, but it's also good to mix up U-Throw in the mix, since most people would DI up when thrown by Lucario.
So I guess it's a situational thing in my opinion. I personally don't do it often, but I usually start out with that throw.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Uthrow sucks. Dthrow has almost exactly the same knockback, except you're guaranteed more damage. Even at the cap, Uthrow can't do more than 8%, compared to Dthrow doing 10% regardless of aura.

Also, you never use Fthrow for combos. It has too much knockback and too much room for DI.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I wasn't talking about F-Throw inability to combo, just as a better throwing option in general.
F-Throw is better usually, since it throws them way off stage, and some cases a kill
Overall I was saying a F-throw is a better choice for knockback, and B-throw is a better choice for damage.
In terms of a combo, I really only use U-throws to kinda start an arial rush combo, or to throw them off with DI.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I wasn't talking about F-Throw inability to combo, just as a better throwing option in general.
F-Throw is better usually, since it throws them way off stage, and some cases a kill
Overall I was saying a F-throw is a better choice for knockback, and B-throw is a better choice for damage.
In terms of a combo, I really only use U-throws to kinda start an arial rush combo, or to throw them off with DI.
Dthrow is the general, all-purpose throw. You should only Bthrow or Fthrow if you want them to be far away from you or off the stage. Bthrow should occasionally be used if Dthrow for some strange reason gets stale.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I uthrow to set up for uair KOs. That's about all I use it for. At low %s I prefer the guaranteed damage from dthrow, which is still fairly good for setting up aerials.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Uthrow sucks.
We need to have a discussion Kita. Uthrow is amazing and is one of my favorite moves for setting up combos. Uthrow>Utilt>Repeat works on lots of people. Uthrow>Uair for a kill also works wonders. Even Uthrow>Usmash has even worked for me but i wouldn't rely on it or use it too often. Pretty much Uthrow>Any Aerial is awesome.

I DO NOT like Dthrow at all because you can't follow up with it ever. It's so slow and people can DI way far away from it thus not allowing you to follow up with anything. Dthrow is by far my least favorite throw, yes it does 10% every time but so does Bthrow. Bthrow>SH Aura Sphere is a handy little trick that i like to use and it works a lot more then it should.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Uthrow has harder to DI capabilities, and the fact that it always puts them a more closer distance is great. I used to love dthrow, but at mid-high percents, I like uthrow more.

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
As Flowbeat explained, I think Uthrow just has more potential to deal more damage than the other throws. Some people are saying that Dthrow gets at least 2% more than Uthrow, but that thinking is so limited it's ridiculous. Just simple jab and Uthrow combos can get the opponent from 0% to ~20-30% on a consistent basis. That's much better than just a simple 10% into nothing, no?

At mid %'s, Uthrow usually sends the opponent kinda behind me, where they like to air dodge because I've made them afraid to not air dodge via follow-ups. Follow Uthrow with pivot Fsmash = yay.

Late %'s, Fthrow off stage leads to edge guarding. Plus, the other throws knock them too far away to combo, anyways. Depending on the character, I could Uthrow and try to go for the Uair, but most opponents don't get hit by that unless you mindgame them into it.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Uthrow the heavies and dthrow midweights. Uthrow->utilt-> shield/predict works really well against characters with sucky dairs. I use this fairly often and so does Azen and many others.

At high percents, don't bother with combo throws unless you're looking for a uair kill. It's almost always better to fthrow or bthrow them off the edge to a quick edgeguard.

Timbers

check me out
Is uthrow->utilt true combo? The few times I've tried it, it connects, however I don't use uthrow nearly as much as I use dthrow/bthrow, so I have never confirmed it.

Assuming it is true though, uthrow very well may be the better throw until utilt stops connecting on followup.

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
I have a hard time getting it on light-weights. I don't even attempt it on Jigglypuff/Kirby/etc., I just go straight for the Fair > Nair combo.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I like FThrow because it gives the opponent a palm to the chin. >:3

That should be enough of a reason right there. :3

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
Well, when you're at a high enough percent, either throw will throw your opponent up and out to far to combo. Unless they DI towards you or something. :ohwell:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
for uthrow, tho, that's not for a very long time, and if so, with luck, they DI'd between 90-120 degrees behind, so you have enough wind up time for a bair.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Up-tilt > Up-tilt > Grab > Upthrow....

keep'm at eye lvl. Plus, its gives lucario a bit more room to maneuver.
-t2

Top Bottom