• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people say QP battles aren't important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I'm utterly awful at the game, like the worst player in the community. I can't make myself give up, but I also can never beat anyone even in quickplay mode. Everyone says quickplay doesn't matter and to use arenas instead but... They're opponents, and allegedly the easiest ones. I can't beat the easiest opponents so surely that means I should take QP more seriously?

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
I don't know what the community opinion on quickplay is, but in my experience the skill level is just as high as arenas even in low GSP. It's very surprising how good some randoms can be.

In my opinion quick play is the far better option for finding randoms and playing them. It isn't perfect, but if you set your rules to be similar to tournament rules you're going to find lots of people looking to get better without having to wait in line.

For reference:
I'm about 6.4mil GSP on my mains Isabelle and Banjo
and anywhere between 100k and and 1mil on my lowest GSP characters.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Because of GSP. It's a rating system that is constantly visible. Naturally everyone wants a high GSP. How do you get that? Well due to it being slanted towards losing (1 loss removing 10 wins worth of GSP) you'll have to leave asap if your opponent is better than you, use cheap tactics and abuse lag. None of those strategies will make you a better player so there's very little to be gained from such an environment. In arenas there's no stakes and players are likely to stick around longer so you can observe them and learn from them.
Also you can find people on discord or whatever that are of similar level or have a similar level than you and play together with them.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I don't know what the community opinion on quickplay is, but in my experience the skill level is just as high as arenas even in low GSP. It's very surprising how good some randoms can be.

In my opinion quick play is the far better option for finding randoms and playing them. It isn't perfect, but if you set your rules to be similar to tournament rules you're going to find lots of people looking to get better without having to wait in line.

For reference:
I'm about 6.4mil GSP on my mains Isabelle and Banjo
and anywhere between 100k and and 1mil on my lowest GSP characters.
Thanks, just a quick Banjo related question before I forget! I tend to go ham on opponents, is it possible to play Banjo aggressively?

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
Thanks, just a quick Banjo related question before I forget! I tend to go ham on opponents, is it possible to play Banjo aggressively?
It's possible, but I feel it's very easy for him to get punished by keen opponents so I generally try to poke and look for an opening before straight up chasing. If you do try playing aggressive make good use of his N-air. It's really big and has multiple hits so I like to use it for pressure.

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
Apologies if this is technically double posting. I just started an account here.
you'll have to leave asap if your opponent is better than you, use cheap tactics and abuse lag.
As much as I hate dealing with annoying strategies like zoning and camping I would argue that part of becoming a better player is learning to deal with these "cheap tactics". In a tournament setting people are going to do whatever they can to win and any good player worth their salt should be able to adapt and punish.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Apologies if this is technically double posting. I just started an account here.

As much as I hate dealing with annoying strategies like zoning and camping I would argue that part of becoming a better player is learning to deal with these "cheap tactics". In a tournament setting people are going to do whatever they can to win and any good player worth their salt should be able to adapt and punish.
You aren't wrong on that, but it leads to fighting very lopsided opponents. You'll probably get good against very specific strategies but be unfamiliar with the rest. Competitive players will analyse you and use whichever strategy works against you and they will have a field day when they realise they can just use a straightforward approach. And it's not like you won't run into such tactics at all in arenas.

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
You aren't wrong on that, but it leads to fighting very lopsided opponents. You'll probably get good against very specific strategies but be unfamiliar with the rest. Competitive players will analyse you and use whichever strategy works against you and they will have a field day when they realise they can just use a straightforward approach. And it's not like you won't run into such tactics at all in arenas.
You run into people fighting you straightforwardly in quick play too. The main reason I don't use arena is because it's like quick play except you have to wait if more than one person joins and you can't change character in line.

I guess it's a matter of preference, but I feel like quick play is the fastest mode with the widest variety of players, characters, and strategies.

1FC0

Smash Lord
you'll have to leave asap if your opponent is better than you, use cheap tactics and abuse lag
I got deep into Elite Smash using R.O.B. without using any of those strategies. My strategy is to pick the best character and win.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
There are pros and cons to both modes.

QP has slightly more consistent good players and is good to get the maximum amount of play time within a particular time frame. The trade off is dealing with worse connections on average and limited stage selection.

Arenas have slightly better connections on average and more control over rules and stage selection. The trade off is that player skill is less regulated and there is more downtime between matches. You also have to deal with things like salty Arena masters, trolls, and more effort in setting up/finding Arenas on your part.

People say that Arenas are better for connections, but I don't really see enough difference to make the downtime worth it. I tend to prefer getting as much match time out of each session as possible. I only bop into Arenas when I want tournament legal stage practice. But it's really up to personal preference which one you go for. You can also do both.

Either one will still help you improve at lower to mid levels.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Because QP isn't a legitimate form of a competitive enviroment, and let alone people trying to improve. You'll encounter people leaving after only one match, because they care more about their precious virtual points than actually trying to improve and getting any form of matchup knowledge. If they fight someone that threatens their little points, they likely won't play you more than a single match.

And don't get me started on dumb anti sportsman behaviour, such as "teabagging". There's nothing wrong with having a little fun, but I feel this isn't really the enviroment you want to get better. It's not like I ever faced good, with really, really really few exceptions. People make it seem as if people on Elite are supposed to play good, or like there's some sort of merit there, but I've seen the most questionable players that would be up there spamming dumb things like Bowser FSmash and Falcon Kick. They're just as bad at high GSP than as low GSP, most of the time.

If you want to improve and play good people, get on Discords and arrange Arenas with competitive rulesets. I don't really recommend Quickplay on anyone, unless they want to use it to practice certain technical skill and combos, but not really as a way of improving. Winning in Quickplay is hardly ever what I'd call "improving".

1FC0

Smash Lord
but I've seen the most questionable players that would be up there spamming dumb things like Bowser FSmash and Falcon Kick
If you get higher this stops in my experience.

Firox

Smash Master
Because QP isn't a legitimate form of a competitive enviroment, and let alone people trying to improve. You'll encounter people leaving after only one match, because they care more about their precious virtual points than actually trying to improve and getting any form of matchup knowledge. If they fight someone that threatens their little points, they likely won't play you more than a single match.

And don't get me started on dumb anti sportsman behaviour, such as "teabagging". There's nothing wrong with having a little fun, but I feel this isn't really the enviroment you want to get better. It's not like I ever faced good, with really, really really few exceptions. People make it seem as if people on Elite are supposed to play good, or like there's some sort of merit there, but I've seen the most questionable players that would be up there spamming dumb things like Bowser FSmash and Falcon Kick. They're just as bad at high GSP than as low GSP, most of the time.

If you want to improve and play good people, get on Discords and arrange Arenas with competitive rulesets. I don't really recommend Quickplay on anyone, unless they want to use it to practice certain technical skill and combos, but not really as a way of improving. Winning in Quickplay is hardly ever what I'd call "improving".
I second this. It all comes down to whether you "play to win" or "play to improve" because they aren't necessarily the same thing. I've seen countless spammers in QP that have just enough skill to make their run-and-gun tactics work against even competent opponents due to the online lag. The problem is that it doesn't even matter who wins that matchup, neither of you really improve. The spammer will just keep up the annoying cowardly tactics and if you win, all you did was adapt to a trash strategy that you'll likely never see in a live tournament. If people want to get better competitively, they need to learn optimal movement, timing, spacing and tech from others that are legitimately trying to do the same. That's not to say that such people aren't on QP, but finding them is almost as inconsistent as a random arena.

To 1FC0's point though, I do agree that QP over 6.5 mil GSP seems to thin out most of the trash. It all just kind of boils down to what you want to get out of your online experience.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
The only janky player that I sometimes meet is a Samus who has in his preferred ruleset 1 Stock and all stages. If there are walk-offs then he will camp on a walk-off near the blast zone and spam missiles (presumably with the intent of getting me to approach, then grabbing me, and then throwing me to the blastzone). Of course since I play R.O.B. this does not work on me. In fact generally his strategy works against him and he often dies really early to a level 1 Robo Beam due to him being very close to the blastzone all the time while I camp back safely from the middle of the stage. He's not much of a tactician.

And I probably only meet him often because I play with all stages on in my ruleset as well. If you put Omega or BF stages in your preferred rules like virtually everyone else with a GSP above 7 million then you probably won't have to deal with a lot of jank at all. Though I can not vouch for how good this is as offline tournament practice since I do not go to offline tournaments.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
My two cents on this from personal experience is that arenas are almost always far better for actual improvement while also enjoying the game than quickplay. I currently have 7 characters in elite smash with my two mains (Lucario and Banjo) as the highest in the 7-7.05mil GSP range (which I'd say is fairly deep into ES even though there are certainly players who have tens of thousands higher gsp than me still) and even that high up, there's still a lot of teabagging and jank rulesets (I've got stamina and even full blown items in elite at this level ffs). Occasionally, you may run into some genuinely very good players (I've run into Riddles, Cosmos, Nairo, Tweek, Mr. E and Dark Wizzy on QP), but that's incredibly rare and you're still bound to get trolls who have horrible internet and play the same cycle of characters notorious for online most of the time (samus, zelda, links, heavies, etc) who, like others have said, care way more about GSP than sincere improvement as players. Also, if you have any modicum of a competitive streak in you like is the case with me, it's next to impossible to genuinely embrace that GSP doesn't matter even when you know this is the case; so it can really have a negative impact on your mentality and plateau your progress hard if you don't keep that in check. Also agreed with others that said going to various character discords for MU exp and advice on how to improve in general or with specific characters is a great and usually healthy way of getting practice in that's productive and grows your confidence as a player.

TL; DR: Quickplay is often too tilt-inducing as a result of bad lag (both internet and input) and extremely degenerate playstyles that are counterproductive to your overall growth as a player, so I'd suggest doing arenas instead. You can always find smaller arenas to cut down on your wait time between matches if you prefer as well.

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I fought the ****test DDD in the world. He kept trying to ledge camp the whole game by using all his jumps and throwing Gordo.

And people expect me to take this mode seriously as if it has some sort of competitivity to it.

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I fought the ****test DDD in the world. He kept trying to ledge camp the whole game by using all his jumps and throwing Gordo.

And people expect me to take this mode seriously as if it has some sort of competitivity to it.
Sounds about right, haha. On the real though, the most frustrating thing about those degenerate campy playstyles is the fact that you can really only consistently counter that by doing the same yourself (be sure to take the first stock, and hold on to your stock lead for dear life as you circle camp the hell out of them for the rest of the match) or you most likely get hit over and over again with the bull**** and ****ery they use against you. For the life of me, I just can't bring myself to play this way against people (online or otherwise) even though in a normal, controlled setting, it's relatively easy to download them and beat their ass for their lame, one dimensional playstyles.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Sounds about right, haha. On the real though, the most frustrating thing about those degenerate campy playstyles is the fact that you can really only consistently counter that by doing the same yourself (be sure to take the first stock, and hold on to your stock lead for dear life as you circle camp the hell out of them for the rest of the match) or you most likely get hit over and over again with the bull**** and ****ery they use against you. For the life of me, I just can't bring myself to play this way against people (online or otherwise) even though in a normal, controlled setting, it's relatively easy to download them and beat their ass for their lame, one dimensional playstyles.
I think you can really start doubting yourself as a player, if you go down far enough the rabbit hole. I am currently thinking of just dropping Quickplay and random public Arenas altogether and just focusing on playing against people on Discord or Smash Ladder, who will at least have a certain base level that you can feel you can learn from.

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
I think you can really start doubting yourself as a player, if you go down far enough the rabbit hole. I am currently thinking of just dropping Quickplay and random public Arenas altogether and just focusing on playing against people on Discord or Smash Ladder, who will at least have a certain base level that you can feel you can learn from.
I wouldn't blame you if you dropped QP at the very least. I feel like public Arenas can still have some players who are quite solid even if it takes more effort to find them (usually in the glorious smashers, veteran or elite categories). I think there's still an incentive to win because you don't want to get knocked to the back of the line if you lose, but without GSP completely distorting people's measure of their self-worth and skill levels (and resorting to any and all methods no matter how lame they are to preserve this skewed perception of themselves), players usually are left with no choice but to play as solidly and sincere as possible if they want a consistent win streak and remain "king of the hill" for a while in any given arena. But there is a distinct advantage of just doing 1v1 arenas with people in discord, since you can get training partners and really get deep knowledge of certain MUs if the people you play with are willing to keep coming back to play you for long periods of time and you're both committed to actual adaptation and counterplay to each other's playstyles and habits so you both can play those MUs as well as possible.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think there's still an incentive to win because you don't want to get knocked to the back of the line if you lose, but without GSP completely distorting people's measure of their self-worth and skill levels (and resorting to any and all methods no matter how lame they are to preserve this skewed perception of themselves), players usually are left with no choice but to play as solidly and sincere as possible if they want a consistent win streak and remain "king of the hill" for a while in any given arena
So what about big tournaments with big money prizes? They give an even greater incenstive to win than GSP. Are they not competitive?

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
So basically big tournaments with big money prizes? They give an even greater incenstive to win than GSP. Are they not competitive?
Nowhere in my post did I ever imply major tournaments with large prize pools were "non-competitive", so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Plenty of people can certainly play very "lame" for the sake of winning sets at those events, but the key difference is that for the high/top level players that do this, it's because it's the genuinely "optimal" way to play their character (i.e., Wrath and his Sonic); whereas on QP, bad internet connections and input delays are abused much more with these overly campy playstyles for the sake of farming GSP. Plus more than likely, these wifi warriors don't know (or are unwilling to have, at the very least) other playstyles once they get adapted to. Not to mention that these Wifi tournaments require LAN adapters to make everyone's online connections more stable overall (this obviously isn't even an issue at all under normal life circumstances where offline in-person tournaments can commence), and this is almost never the case on QP. What I was doing was simply comparing and contrasting the trend in behaviors and actions I've seen between players on quickplay and battle arenas, you're bringing in something entirely different to the conversation when you bring up major tournies and their prize money awards. It's simply apples to oranges.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so an answer to your question......... (other than learning the basics of how to play) I actually don't think playing online IN GENERAL helps you get better at the game and that's for one reason:

We're going to talk a little bit about input lag. Your buttons just take so much longer to cause an action to happen on screen that it makes any kind of skill (other than just a good neutral game) completely irrelevant online. Examples of this are pressing "up b" but for some reason online eats your input and you fall to your death or the up b comes out way later than you pressed it and you fall to your death, random air doges or rolls because the buffer system kicks in when you didn't actually buffer anything (due to input lag), moves not being punishable like ganon's down b because of input lag, combos either connecting when they shouldn't or not connecting when they should, etc (this list could go on for days).

Now this is NOT the lag of people with bad connections where the game randomly freezes for 2 seconds every 10 seconds or so. I'm not even talking about that, I'm strickly talking about the latency of your inputs online. So you have a player like Leo, who has it imprinted in his brain from all the practice and tourneys when to tech something, miss 3-4 techs and lose a set because he's flat out not used to it. Even players that ARE used to it miss techs online on a regular basis. I always describe teching online like winning the powerball.

Honestly it's unacceptable. Nintendo created the WORST online gaming experience in Smash Ultimate that I've EVER had the pleasure of playing from any gaming company out there (even EA). Then they have the gall to charge us for it. It's awful. And don't even get me started on GSP.

Ok, rant over.

If you want an experience that is a bit better (imho) it's the online tournament mode (not the casual one with items but the pro tournament mode). You don't lose anything by losing other than just moving on to the next tournament and the opponents get progressively harder as you win. Each tournament mode is active for 2 days at a time (I have NO idea why they don't just have both activated ALL the time but........ whatever I guess) so if you catch the casual mode just wait for a day or two and the pro mode will be active for the next 2 days. One thing to note is it's best out of one game and it's always FD... so it's not TRULY a pro tournament but it helps you not have to deal with QP.

As far as "getting better" is concerned I've trained a few people in my town on how to play. First thing I do is put them on Lucina. Yes... a boring swordie. The reason for this is you HAVE to learn the basics of the game to win with her. She's ALL about neutral game and winning the stage by skill. Learn her "A" moves FIRST (just in training mode). Learn how fast her jab comes out, learn her tilts and how to do them EVERY time you need them (put them on C stick if you have to), learn her aerials and what percents they kill at, learn her smash attacks, learn how to short hop nair, etc. THEN AFTER you learn her "A" moves learn her "B" moves. Learn her recovery, learn her counter, learn her shield break, learn her side B (all versions of it and how to do them).

Then go into QP and SPAM one game after another (don't worry about losing), you're learning HOW TO PLAY THE GAME. Lucina teaches you the essentials you need to GET BETTER. Keep winning with her until you hit the 4-5M GSP range and then switch to whatever character you like. You'll have a much better handle on the game then.

Also, once you get a good grasp on the mechanics and moves of your particular character look at these two documents for what moves you need to use to punish things. I'm a Zelda main so: my jab comes out frame 4 and is great against small characters, my bair and fair out of shield come out frame 9, my up b out of shield comes out frame 6, my ftilt (which is the best in the game) comes out frame 12... etc.

Smash Ultimate Out Of Shield

Smash Ultimate General Frame Data

In all learning this game is a process. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Nowhere in my post did I ever imply major tournaments with large prize pools were "non-competitive", so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the incentive to win is too big with GSP on the line.

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the incentive to win is too big with GSP on the line.
naw it's horse****

it's not like I can trade those ****ty points for candy or something

Then I'd probably have at least some sort of incentive to get on Elite

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
Well, I do believe that 95% of players (maybe even more) on quickplay do care far too much about GSP, which tends to influence what their playstyle is to maintain/grow from wherever they are with their GSP. This sentiment has no bearing at all on whether or not major tournaments are "competitive" (WiFi or offline), because it's pretty self-apparent that they are (barring any hiccups caused by lag during WiFi tournies). I tried highlighting the relevant differences as I see them between QP players and battle arena players on average in the rest of my post, and still maintain that major tournaments and the players who enter them bring a notably different mindset and the playstyles are usually more varied even when looking at just one top or high level player (due to the demands of adaptation being so high at this level). Anyway, yeah...hopefully by the end of this, whatever misunderstandings we had are cleared up.

1FC0

Smash Lord
naw it's horse****

it's not like I can trade those ****ty points for candy or something

Then I'd probably have at least some sort of incentive to get on Elite
GSP can useful in order to prevent frequent switching between normal QP and Elite QP. A switch will prevent one from rematching and it costs a little more time thus it's nice to be far above or below that. GSP also helps with getting competitive rulesets and good opponents.

I think that in the past one could switch between having Elite GSP and non-Elite GSP and still keep playing without being booted out to the character select screen but they apparently changed that.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I find the higher your GSP the more likely your opponent(s} will be decent / serious players. Even at low gsp some players are talented so I typically chalk that up to them just starting out with that character and having a worse win/loss record. Obviously even in Elite smash you'll get spammers.

The problem with gsp is that you win/lose the same amount regardless of rules. Imho a win on fd/bf/omega 3 stock 7min no items (For Glory basically) should be weighted heaviest with the greatest gsp gain or loss. A win or loss during an items match shouldn't count at all.

Another issue is the drop / disconnect scenarios. If you're winning and they rage quit they should still lose the GSP sure but you should gain the GSP they screwed you out of.

Lastly I forget who said this in another thread but if you get into Elite you should stay there regardless of win or lose. Reason being clawing your way there through all the bs rules people use is literally a different game than the 1v1 elite smash rulesets that are commonly used.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It really doesn't help that much.
For me it does. With low GSP I even get FFAs (while voting for 1v1) while with high GSP my opponent almost always has 1v1, 2 or 3 stock, BF or Omega, no items, etc; despite me voting for all stages. That's quite a difference. And the people are normally about equally good as I am.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
QP sucks because you only get two stage options. Now three with Small battlefield

Besides that its just as good or even better than Arena's. You will get matches more quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom