• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people constantly say Yoshi sucks?

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
I don't get it. I was a Yoshi Mainer in Melee, and in Brawl, although I haven't played much of him (just in SSE), I got a feeling he was BETTER. Yet a lot of people are just throwing him and Ganondorf (although I agree with that) to the bottom of the depth chart (calling them bottom tier). Ganondorf I can understand, but why Yoshi? There's nothing particularily wrong. I remember some people's reasoning was "he has nothing special going for him". I don't get that at all. Can some of you Yoshi players out there explain why he's being thrown under the bus?

MoaM

Smash Rookie
No one uses him, or likes to use him. That's about it.

I do think, to some extent, it's a matter of using the eclectic options of a fighting game, rather than the basic package; look at Street Fighter tournament play, Ryu is somewhat under-played in Third Strike and 2 Turbo. The problem with the Smash fanbase is that it's kind of immature, so, along with the heated discussions much ado about nothing, you'll have those excited types "dissing" under-used characters.

Generally when someone is actually criticizing a character -- in any circumstance, mind you, not just characters...even outside of the fighting game genre -- they won't use childish derogatory terms and they will have some sort of reasoning behind it. Despite any criticism though, it doesn't mean Yoshi "sucks" or is always a bad match-up against a "better" character.

It's all about player skill.
End of story.

YoshiPwnsAll

Smash Rookie
I am very suprised people say he sucks. I think he is one of the best in the game. He has improved so much in every aspect. His aerials are so much easier to KO with. I feel like his egg can deal more damage. Throwing his eggs is now a recovery. His final smash is one of the best. And, above all, he has amazingly adorable taunts!

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I was a Yoshi main in melee, and to be honest .... I am finding myself agreeing with the "Yoshi sucks crowd". I mean think about it, somebody has to be on the bottom right? And you'd be hard pressed to say any one in the game is decidely worse than Yoshi is. I mean his back air is pretty nice now, and the super armor on his second jump, but can you truly think of someone who can't match or surpass him? It's really quite a shame that Sakurai didn't see fit to give him a more thorough make over. I'll still play him for my own personal amusment of course.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: His jump does not have armor. Who is spreading such a blatant lie around these boards?

And nobody likes Yoshi but Yoshi players. It's been a way of thinking for as long as I can remember. If you like him, you REALLY like him and if you don't like him, you HATE him. That's just how people think for some ******** reason.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
:yoshi: His jump does not have armor. Who is spreading such a blatant lie around these boards?

And nobody likes Yoshi but Yoshi players. It's been a way of thinking for as long as I can remember. If you like him, you REALLY like him and if you don't like him, you HATE him. That's just how people think for some ******** reason.
In Brawl? His second jump most certainly does have armor frames. If you want I can show you a video, but it's not hard to test for yourself.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Don't bother. I give up, haha.

But yeah, Yoshi's one of those all or nothing characters, I suppose. Take him or leave him.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling this is more about the definition of "armor frames", isn't it? :p

Anyway, I agree - Yoshi's a love it or hate it thing. It just seems the vast majority fall into the latter category. I guess I'm one of them; I don't hate the character, I just hate how he plays. Whenever I do try him inevitably I accidentally Egg Roll when trying to toss an egg and shake my fist as he careens off a ledge.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yoshi takes a higher amount of skill to play with on expert levels. Many people don't want to put in the extra time. Not only that, the way his playing style is makes it so that only certain players can handle such a weird style. That's why they throw him at the bottom. But this time Yoshi is feeling like middle tier, since some of his atks still feel situational.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
I've always been turned off by the fact that Yoshi has such a short tongue. In Sunshine, I remember the rediculous lengths it could go, where I could grab fruit from a palm tree from the ground. I believe it should've been increased to Samus's grapple beam in length and be able to be used for TETHER RECOVERY.

Yoshi's tongue is definitely sticky enough to hold his weight against the edge of the stage. Why is he the only character with a tether grab, but no tether recovery? Why can a fragile snake (Lucas) use tether recovery while his tongue can't?

Yoshi has definitely gotten better, but he isn't as good as most other characters. Part of why many people say he sucks is that he is so incredibly unique in how you have to play him. I just believe he's bad because he has so many unimplemented options that just turn me off when I see that he's incapable of doing them. He doesn't have a long tongue? He can't tether recover? Why use him?

It's bizarre that Yoshi gets the shaft in every Smash game. The reason he's so unappealing is because while mid-standard, he has nothing truly awe inspiring. This leads to bad popularity and that's probably why he'll probably be spending the next Smash game after Brawl representing his series by himself again. When Samus represented her series again alone, people were enraged... But nobody remembered about Yoshi's villain Kamek Koopa not showing up.

He's ignored because his capacity and potential is standard and because of his completely bizarre playing style. You really think a Mario player can pick Yoshi and have great aim with his Eggs? Nah. How many people are used to not having a great Up-B for recovery?

I don't mean any offense to Yoshi players, but this is why I believe he's so unpopular. Not in a negative way, but its that most players forget he's even there.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I've always been turned off by the fact that Yoshi has such a short tongue. In Sunshine, I remember the rediculous lengths it could go, where I could grab fruit from a palm tree from the ground. I believe it should've been increased to Samus's grapple beam in length and be able to be used for TETHER RECOVERY.

Yoshi's tongue is definitely sticky enough to hold his weight against the edge of the stage. Why is he the only character with a tether grab, but no tether recovery? Why can a fragile snake (Lucas) use tether recovery while his tongue can't?

Yoshi has definitely gotten better, but he isn't as good as most other characters. Part of why many people say he sucks is that he is so incredibly unique in how you have to play him. I just believe he's bad because he has so many unimplemented options that just turn me off when I see that he's incapable of doing them. He doesn't have a long tongue? He can't tether recover? Why use him?

It's bizarre that Yoshi gets the shaft in every Smash game. The reason he's so unappealing is because while mid-standard, he has nothing truly awe inspiring. This leads to bad popularity and that's probably why he'll probably be spending the next Smash game after Brawl representing his series by himself again. When Samus represented her series again alone, people were enraged... But nobody remembered about Yoshi's villain Kamek Koopa not showing up.

He's ignored because his capacity and potential is standard and because of his completely bizarre playing style. You really think a Mario player can pick Yoshi and have great aim with his Eggs? Nah. How many people are used to not having a great Up-B for recovery?

I don't mean any offense to Yoshi players, but this is why I believe he's so unpopular. Not in a negative way, but its that most players forget he's even there.
I agree 100%. He takes a lot of time to master and he has nothing flashy about him. He also has lots of lost potential. Oh well, I don't like his play style and I agree he looks like he will be in the bottom on the list, again. Too bad, him and Link have been poor for 3 games now and they don't deserve it.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: Don't bother. I give up, haha.

But yeah, Yoshi's one of those all or nothing characters, I suppose. Take him or leave him.
Wait, are you sure it doesn't? Do you know what attacks/damage will hit him out of it? I haven't seen any yet, so if he can be hit out of it, then he's even worse then I originally thought =(

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
I toy around with Yoshi occasionally. I really like him. I was playing someone the other day and won a couple rounds with yoshi against his main and he seemed to get especially pissed off. "Been practicing with the ****ing dinosaur?!?"

I like yoshi. It's always been a sub never a main though. I just hate the lack of triple jump (the eggs help a lot though)

Never the less YOOOSSSSHHIII OWWWWNNNS!

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I'm using Yoshi as my main and for the time being I've noticed that his biggest weakness if the lack of strong smashes and KO moves in general.

But the biggest problem he has is low priority, due to not having a disjointed hitbox or extra range on any move except his F-Tilt characters like Pit, Wolf, Pikachu, Marth Snake, and Gannon totally destroy him every move.

Their normals will literally EAT his normals and hit you, total negation.

Almost every attack over-prioritizes him from those characters.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I was a Yoshi main in melee, and to be honest .... I am finding myself agreeing with the "Yoshi sucks crowd". I mean think about it, somebody has to be on the bottom right? And you'd be hard pressed to say any one in the game is decidely worse than Yoshi is.

Actually, from my personal opinion, Jpuff/ IC/ G&W/ Gannon/ Wario and Ike are all worse that Yoshi. . . and I never used Yoshi before SSE forced me to choose between him or Link, the projectile punk with a nerfed Up B.

We will all have our own takes on who is better than who because we all play differently. Thats why I don't pay any mind to T-List. . . why should I?

All it shows is that a crap load of people perfer the up-front fighters like Fox/ Marth or Sheik when compared to the characters that take more time and practice to use. That why I expect PT to be Mid - Low. . .people will try to main one pokemon their good with and get crushed when their attacks are weakened because most people just arnt willing to use him completely.

I think Yoshi is a solid character. My main weakness is that I kill myself alot with him but Im sure I can get better over time.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
G&W? lmao I'd even be bold enough to put G&W in high tier. People are winning tournaments with G&W XD

Yoshi's a great character, not sure why people hate on him. It's obvious that anyone who says Yoshi "sucks" either sucks at the game or has never given Yoshi more than 5 minutes of play time.

His back air is ridiculous.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Because people don't realize that his ground attacks aren't the most impressive, instead i short hop and use his killer aerials, his Dair and Bair especially will eat through any shield or at least shield stab (getting shield stabbed SUCKS!) and now with no DJC he can edgeguard ridiculously well Whenever I knock someone off the edge I either do a rising air if they can land on the stage but if they have to use a recovery move the best thing to use is his Dair to push them down to their death and recover with his killer second jump (don't attempt this in FFA however it's strictly a 1 v 1 thing)

Sharky

Smash Master
He's definitely not bad. I'll admit he isn't the top character in the game, either, but that makes it more fun. He's simply Yoshi, enough said.

What bugs me more is that this is the third thread for the same topic >.<

BRAWL IS DA BOMB

Smash Rookie
yoshi is kool

if u say yoshi is crap (not good enough) then u dont understand the consept of yoshi seriously i could beat u with yoshi and u using ur favourite character

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Yet a lot of people are just throwing him and Ganondorf (although I agree with that) to the bottom of the depth chart (calling them bottom tier). Ganondorf I can understand, but why Yoshi?
Ganondorf is much > Yoshi

Someone has to be the worst (unless you are one of those quacks who don't believe teirs exist) and in my opinion Yoshi is it. I really wish he wasn't though because I like playing as him in Mario Party and Mario Kart, he is probably my favorite Mario character, but one can't deny he sucks.

However, if you like playing as him, more power to you. It is actually sort of good for you because people will underestimate you, and everyone loves an underdog victory. :)

And as a side note, the conversation about what tier G&W will be, he will be pretty high up their, because if he lands a 9 with that **** hammer, you are so toast, plus bacon and sausage are tricky.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
"Yoshi sucks" = "I don't know anything about Yoshi and have never played as him or against him for more than five minutes"

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Actually, from my personal opinion, Jpuff/ IC/ G&W/ Gannon/ Wario and Ike are all worse that Yoshi. . . and I never used Yoshi before SSE forced me to choose between him or Link, the projectile punk with a nerfed Up B.

We will all have our own takes on who is better than who because we all play differently. Thats why I don't pay any mind to T-List. . . why should I?

All it shows is that a crap load of people perfer the up-front fighters like Fox/ Marth or Sheik when compared to the characters that take more time and practice to use. That why I expect PT to be Mid - Low. . .people will try to main one pokemon their good with and get crushed when their attacks are weakened because most people just arnt willing to use him completely.

I think Yoshi is a solid character. My main weakness is that I kill myself alot with him but Im sure I can get better over time.
Yeah I suppose it isn't 100% proven that he's THE absolute worst (that title could easily go to some of his bottom tier playmates), but you have to admit he's way down there. Even supposing you're correct, and I personally think you're being a bit generous there, that's six out of 39 characters that Yoshi's got something on. Either way it's not looking good for our boy.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Also, here's something I just found out: All the characters have a mega-improved shield game, because their shield drops insanely quickly so they can basically do anything after shielding someone's attack, instead of just grabbing. However, Yoshi's shield still has the whole animation that he had from melee, so not only can he not jump out of shield, he can't do anything else, either.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Also, here's something I just found out: All the characters have a mega-improved shield game, because their shield drops insanely quickly so they can basically do anything after shielding someone's attack, instead of just grabbing. However, Yoshi's shield still has the whole animation that he had from melee, so not only can he not jump out of shield, he can't do anything else, either.
Yeah it's very annoying when someone is spamming projectiles and you have to get hit because of the shield stun.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, I got kind of worst with him from meele to brawl. Its proably his smashes got weaker which I used alot in meele. I am still going to try getting better with him though.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yoshi > Fox.

That's all I have to say, I have slaughtered many space animals with the lil' fella. Yoshi's multi hit aerials (Bair, Dair) just shred through their shields giving them no chance to grab out of shield or what not.

When yoshi mainers start winning some tourneys you will all change your views.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Let them still think it, even though I hate reading the same **** hate over and over. Wait until the pros teach them a lesson and make them regret underestimating him. Anyways, the only reason they think that is because they believe anything smashwiki says and ignore the professional Yoshi players. If they listened to them, gave Yoshi a decent practise, which they haven't, they would shut up.

Gindler

Smash Champion
IC who have a 0%-death combo and G&W DEFINITELY aren't worse than Yoshi. But yeah it's his early game opinion.
Depends on the user, sure G&W has a 9 hammer but I've survived a few of those when hit at low percentages and with a lil' direction luck. But as for the ICs, they might be better against most other character but ive slaughtered many good IC mains because yoshi can split them up and use his superior air maneuverability to kill off nana before popo can even try to stop it, plus if you get caught in a chain grab your not even trying.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Depends on the user, sure G&W has a 9 hammer but I've survived a few of those when hit at low percentages and with a lil' direction luck. But as for the ICs, they might be better against most other character but ive slaughtered many good IC mains because yoshi can split them up and use his superior air maneuverability to kill off nana before popo can even try to stop it, plus if you get caught in a chain grab your not even trying.
Skill depends on the user, tiers aren't based on that though. ICs and G&W have more going for them than Yoshi, plain and simple.

ICs have a 0-death combo nearly everyone (there's a youtube vid on his combo potential, problem is that only a handful of IC players memorize the specific character timing and have the skill to use ICs well. You will get grabbed at least a few times per match, no matter how good of a player you are.

G&W has more priority and waaaay more power than Yoshi. His Forward and Down Smash can kill at 80% and his moves all overpower Yoshi's. It's not an impossible match but it's definitely in G&W's favor.

D

Deleted member

Wow, yoshi better than G&W lol. G&W is high or top tier material, he has loads of range and priority, can deal with some campers with down b, has amazing kill moves, an amazing approach (hard to come by these days). I dont know much about ICs but 0-death combo sounds frightening. Yoshi is underated, but still not too good imo.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
if you get caught in a chain grab you got grabbed. thats really all there is to it, one grab can kill, in most situations, and once its started theres nothing you can do about it except hope they screw up.

And more on the topic of this post, i dont know why people say yoshi sucks, but im glad they do, and i've won many matches and humiliated quite a few people because they think yoshi sucks

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Yoshi doesn't suck but he's not that good. Most characters are better than Yoshi. He's not so bad that he's unusable and you can't win as him but he'll likely be on the lower half of the tier list.

Top Bottom