• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you pick Shulk?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Just wondering if anyone else here is a Xenoblade Chronicles fan. I picked the game up in 2012 and had a real hard time getting into it since it wasn't my kind of RPG at first. But GameFAQs users encouraged me to go on, and of course, it picked up and got better and better. I ended up beating the game roughly a week after the Shulk reveal trailer, and I feel good having a character who has a blade and a unique skillset. As an Ike main, I tend to prefer mid-ranged characters with swords, as well as RPG characters in general. Not only that, but again in spite of how hard it looked like his learning curve would be, I've had a little more than moderate success using him so far.

Now, if we're lucky, this will make it into the Wii U version of Gaur Plains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKz48dSRuzc

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
My reasons:

1) Because Xenoblade is one of my favorite Wii games.

2) As an Ike player, transitioning to Shulk was easier than most other characters.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I haven't played Xenoblade yet so I know pretty much nothing about the actual character. But I like the range on his aerials and smashes.

And his accent is funny too.

MisguidedAngel

Smash Rookie
Wii U version desperately needs the boss theme too... always just makes me think of the Xord fights and how epic they were...

I honestly picked Shulk (Main him and Zelda) mainly because of Xenoblade... but also because I love characters that reward smart reads, and involve higher thinking (which Manado Arts provide).

And the accent is funny... I'm really feeling it!

Last edited:

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I picked Shulk because he looks cool, the Monado looks cool, he's got a great playstyle, and I think his accent is, as funny as it is, very awesome actually.

I don't actually main him though; I just needed someone to replace Toon Link as a secondary (got rid of his dair bounce? **** that).

But then after I decided on Shulk I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles and it's pretty awesome so far.

One Who Gets in Our Way should've been a song in Smash, it's one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. I'm serious.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I choose Shulk because ever since I've played Xenoblade, it became my #1 most favorite game of all-time.
There's so much that I love about the game, ranging from the vast landscapes, neat cast of characters to an absolutely amazing soundtrack. I've been supporting Shulk as a potential newcomer since then. I am so happy that he's a playable character and I still can't believe he is despite having clocked over 70 hours into Smash 3DS using him the majority of the time. I never thought I'd see the day that I could use him to fight against childhood icons like Mario or Link.

I like Shulk a lot as a character and his design, as well as his Japanese & English voices. I love the Monado's design, name and capabilities, also the Monado Arts utilizing kanji characters is amazing to me (especially in Smash, unf). His portrayal in Smash Bros. is spot-on. As a fighter, it does feel like I'm playing him as if I would in Xenoblade and I honestly believe he has one of the best character models.

His inclusion opens the door between his game's universe and the Smash Bros. series, so we can hear songs like "You Will Know Our Names" (I'm expecting "One Who Gets in Our Way" in the Wii U version), we can get trophies of the various familiar faces, we can play on the most iconic landmark from the game as a stage, in one of the greatest crossover franchises ever.

That's why I use Shulk.

Last edited:

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played Xenoblade, (although I want to now) and I didn't even intend on maining him, as my main was gonna be Ike again. However, my curiosity was piqued when I saw his reveal. I love British accents, and I thought those little catchphrases of his made him stand out. That, and like with a lot of the newcomers, they gave him a really interesting core gimmick.

After playing him and getting used to all the Arts, he's become a total blast to play. I fell in love with his gameplay, and am starting to appreciate the character more now. Gotta get my hands on dat Xenoblade.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
I imported Xenoblade Chronicles the day it came out in Europe.
I watched the opening cutscene and listened to 3-5 songs off the OST, which made me make that decision to import.

Xenoblade is now my personal favorite game of all time. I chose to main Shulk after I beat the game, as I hoped he would make it in Smash 4.

I've beaten Xenoblade 6 times, and my 7th time will be on the New 3DS XL when it decides to come out here.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Because Xenoblade is one of my favorite games & Shulk was pretty much my most wanted newcomer.
It took me a while to get used to him but now i'm finally really feeling it starting to get decent with him.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Years back, I remember seeing Xenoblade's cover art in some magazine. Like, before the game was even out in Japan. I really loved that picture, the Monado, before even knowing it was a beam saber thing. Liked it enough to remember that moment apparently, even though I was never exposed to Xenoblade again.

Since then, I didn't really ever think about the game, didnt even know it got a localization till later on. It was interesting, I loved the characters and designs, but I thought it was the usual big-name JRPG, so never bought it.

But Sakurai really showed me the light, I can't believe Xenoblade was right under my nose. I love the concept of Shulk getting visions, and the Monado being a sort of transforming lightweight claymore, changing the future by being almost a priest/monk/paladin-like fighter that gives the team all kinds of buffs. A first for a main character.

Aside from all that, in a nutshell, I love Shulk's design, and the concepts revolving him and his weapon. He feels amazing in Smash with super-satisfying long beam swings and pop-out beams, he's really stylish. As a fan of jack-of-all-trades styles, the Monado Arts are incredible and let me carve my own style and flow for any situation. And landing those Visions makes me feel like I did see the future and changed it :p

Currently playing through Xenoblade when not Smashing and it's sooooo hype, I can't believe I dismissed it before as typical. I was deadset on maining Pit before but Shulk changed my future.

This turned out so tl;dr, sorry friends.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I like sword users and his Monaco arts make an interesting playstyle and gives him a lot of versatility. I want to play Xenoblade but no time or money.

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
You're certainly not alone as a Xenoblade fan, although admittedly I only played Xenoblade because during that whole phase when people were CONVINCED that Shulk would be the next announced fighter (which actually ended up being Lucina), I was like, I don't know who this character is, and I looked him up and what he was from. Surprisingly, people had nothing but good things to say about Xenoblade, and the game has just fantastic scores by anyone that reviewed it, so I decided to give it a shot.

Ended up finishing it about 5 days before Smash 3DS was released in Japan (where I live... took some time to import the English version, since even though I CAN speak Japanese, I PREFER to play it in English if possible), and absolutely LOVED it. Decided I was going to main Shulk regardless of ability way before I finished it, basically right after the official announce trailer. Xenoblade is basically the only game where the MAIN STORY easily hits 100 hours that I didn't feel was a drag at the end (the only other one I've finished was Persona 4... and I was pretty much forcing myself to finish that) and was sad when it was over, despite the great length. And the soundtrack is among the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. Just phenomenal stuff. Hoping the Wii U version adds more than the three songs the 3DS version gets, because the soundtrack really deserves more than that due to the extremely high quality.

I also really like that they included swimsuit Shulk just because it's one of Shulk's armors in the game (the one I used because if I'm given the option, I like to make the characters look ridiculous for cutscenes. Sharla was in her Jungle outfit the whole game, and it was fantastic. >.>). Was slightly disappointed to see that his other costumes were just alt colors of his original and not his other armor options in the game, but when I saw that they were themed around the rest of the party members, that made that slightly better. The attention to detail really helped seal my decision to main him. Am loving every second of it, too.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I only know about Shulk from the trailer.

However I find his concept the most interesting and unique to stand out from all the other sword users from the game (moreso than Robin) and I'm a really big fan of his Monado Arts being able to adapt to any situation, but only once at a time. I really love his versatility and the flexibility his neutral special alone gives his entire moveset and I look forward to Shulk's metagame moving forward from here.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I actually haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles yet but I'll definitely be picking up the New 3DS version when it drops. But yeah, I really like him. He seems to take a lot of skill to utilize efficiently and I've always preferred sword wielders in Smash. He's also a good compliment to my main Link, who is also one of the harder characters to master in Smash as a whole. I'm looking forward to perfecting my Shulk someday and learning how to utilize him well will be fun. :)

CWBY

Smash Rookie
NNID
fireball3k
simple. i'm a xenoblade nut. it's a snazzy game, as many others in this thread have attested to. (i'm also hoping "one who gets in our way" is a track in the wii u version of smash.)

other than that, i was hyped for shulk because having him in smash seemed too good to be true, but at the same time plausible. it's sort of hard to explain what i was thinking. it's like he's a representative for the operation rainfall trio as a whole in my eyes, and i figured his inclusion was more likely than zael from the last story besides.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Because he's from Xenoblade, has a British accent, and the game has good music. It really doesn't get anymore complicated than that.

He's the only character I've ever mained that I truly enjoyed the game it came from. I played Marth for years (still do) but I'm not very very big on FE, though I do like the series.

After actually playing him, he's a keeper. I loved the function of the Monado in the actual Xenoblade, and I do in this game too.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
...It just kind of happened. I was supposed to be a Villager main but then I played the heck out of him with the demo and wanted to try somebody else. Shulk just kinda clicked for me. He's hella fun, and I feel like as his metagame develops the ride is only gonna get crazier. Really need to keep moving on Xenoblade so I have a chance of finishing before X comes out.

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
^
same as above. I was supposed to main Sonic, but I don't know I just keep losing in FG with Sonic. When I tried Shulk I start to win some of FG so I decide to main him, learn his monado. And I find its really fun

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade is an amazing game and the game alone is one of the reasons why I supported Shulk since December. Hell, he can bring a lot of cool and interesting content with him in Smash! He is also one of my favorite video game characters of all-time since I could relate to him. It's for those reasons why I supported Shulk since December of 2013.
I also want to mention that I am still amazed that he's in and that I am playing as him in Smash... it's incredibly surreal to me even still that I am fighting as him against Nintendo's all-stars.

Shulk was the first newcomer that I tried out and he honestly clicked with me the most, especially after winning some matches in For Glory. I'm not the best with him, but I'm learning how to play as him and I will utilize his Monado Arts and range to its fullest potential. I don't care if Shulk is low-tiered and whatnot; I will still main him. I can't wait to see his metagame grow and how tournament players will utilize the Monado Arts.

As it stands, Luigi and Shulk are the two characters that I am currently maining.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiyobi

Smash Rookie
I just really love his stance mechanic.

Never got around to playing Xenoblade. I regret not buying it when it was released.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Because Xenoblade's the best game ever, I actually had 3 copies in my house at one point :p It's got an amazing story, soundtrack, and mechanics, and is unrivaled by any game I've ever played, even though I'm only about a third of the way through from what I gather. Every time I win, Shulk's victory theme just makes me happy. I'm so excited for Smash Wii U just so I can listen to more amazing songs while I beat up my friends. Cross your fingers for Unfinished Battle, and I hope they stick in another Xenoblade location, such as Prison Island, as a stage just so we can get even more music.

Also, he's really unique, what with his Monado Arts, Back Slash's variable hitboxes, and Vision's uniqueness as a counter. He's fun to play.

(Now if we got Riki and Dunban as playable I'd be all set)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 6 months ago and I thought I may as well give this game a go.

Boy, I surprised that the game was so good, even I am still playing the game as of today.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Because Xenoblade, one of my favorite game of all time of course! I also love his character, and not to mention Adam Howden's fantastic voice work.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Surprised I never got around to posting here.

Xenoblade Chronicles is absolutely my favorite game of all time, and the only game I think that might be able to come near it in the future is Xenoblade Chronicles X. I've played lots of stories with "sad" and "shocking" plots before but nothing has ever affected me like this game has, oh my god. This is the only game I've literally ever cried because of. All the twists and turns, somehow every character is extremely likable and relatable, the amazingly fun gameplay and just the world itself. I would have mained anyone else that came from Xenoblade but Shulk was most likely so I supported him ever since I started playing this amazing game. stilhopingforanothercharacterasdlctopromotexenobladechroniclesx
Regarding his playstyle, he's really technical and hard to learn, which is just how I like my characters. His tier position won't matter to me (I mained Zelda in the past two games lol), I just love playing as him and his unique mechanics.

Basically, I love Shulk for bringing this once obscure game to the spotlight. I can't wait for all the other ridiculously awesome music and trophies in Smash Wii U :4shulk:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
You should check out the social thread! This forum is one of the central places for Xenoblade fans

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Because "I'm really feeling it!" lol

Well, even though I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles before, I've heard a lot of good things about it and I was curious to see what kind of character Shulk is and what he does. And as far as I can tell, I really like his play style and I really like playing as him even though he's one of my secondaries.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
He made it in though, against the odds.
And he chose to fight alongside Shulk.

I noticed I tend to gravitate toward characters from series that I like - and Shulk is no exception. Although Jump and Speed are tough to get a feel for, I like his zoning approach, and just keep plugging away no matter what happens to my For Glory stats (which don't matter much anyway - Final Destination? Time in 2v2? Pfft.)

I wonder how many things I could Back Slash in a 4v4 on Big Battlefield? Hmm...

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
i didn't know much about Xenoblade except that:
-it was on the Wii
-it was one of the three games on petition for Operation Rainfall
-and that it was supposedly freakishly long

up until I gave shulk a try, I didn't know too much. I felt set on maining him after I got used to his Monado Arts, I sort of developed a "toolbox mentality", in that I want to have the right option for a given situation... adjusting shulk's abilities like that does wonders.

now that I'm maining him, though, I'll definitely see if i can find me a copy of Xenoblade. I mean, an RPG for the Wii that takes much longer than 20+ hours for even major reviewers to finish... sounded a little too good to be true, I confess. I've read somewhere that had a limited release and that it's hard to find now, so hopefully I can find one nearby.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I recently started playing Xenoblade Chronicles a couple weeks prior to Smash 3DS's launch, after seeing Shulk's reveal trailer, and after getting to the part where the song "Unfinished Battle" started playing, I could already tell that Xenoblade is an outstanding game, and is my favorite game as of now (even though I haven't finished yet.)

Outside of just loving the game Shulk is from, I saw the different arts Shulk was using, and thought that was a very unique gameplay style, especially for a Smash character, and I was already a fan of sword characters.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
I might as well play as Shulk every so often. I'm really feeling it in this game.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
my play style is I prefer tricky characters that hope to have the opponent thinking "whats Staffo gonna do next?" Shulk is that kind of character for me. His arts and vast arsenal leave him to be a quirky character to play.

Also Xenoblade. While I prefer Dunban I'm ok with Shulk.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Shulk was someone I was curious about using since I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles (can't wait for X also), but the deciding factor came from a little launch party for Smash 3DS I went to. Nobody was using him, and everyone present was just under the impression that Shulk was too complicated to fight as (and maybe the idea nobody at the party knew who Shulk was....) . I decided to give Shulk a try, and had blast. The idea of having an advantage or matching your opponent appealed to me, and contrary to everyone's words, Shulk's playstyle felt very natural to me. I ended up using Shulk in a tourney we had, making it all the way to the finals, only losing to a really good Lucario.

Ever since then, I've been using Shulk, reading up on the forums / guides on Smash-Boards, and practicing online to one day master the Monado.

Top Bottom