• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did we choose to main mewtwo?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Taj chose Mewtwo? I suppose you could put it like that.

There was a time, long ago, when Taj did not even think about playing as Mewtwo. Perhaps you could call him foolish, but I would contend that this is the state all mortals assume when confronted with something greater than themselves. They blind themselves to truth in order to maintain balance within their fragile minds.

Indeed, opening your mind up to the abyss, the infinite, the primal darkness within us all... it is no small task.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Bear in mind that my account of Taj's story is pieced together from the broken sobs of witnesses, what little I have gleaned from Taj's sparse but dark recollections, and my own memory of that day. I was not there, mind you, but in a location a safe distance away--Texas, as it turns out.

That day began like any other, but as is typical of a day capable of shattering the Earth itself, there were... portents. The birds stopped singing. Plants grew still in the dying breeze and wilted with the passing of the Shadow. I felt the echoes, heard the soft song that slid across the ears like a sword being drawn from its sheath... but this is not my story.

Taj, of course, was blind to the coming, for reasons mentioned above. He was in that blissful state that many of us enjoyed, at the time: playing Super Smash Brothers: Melee.

In pursuit of speed, Taj played Fox and Marth, but also chose them for their grace and style. Even then, before knowledge of tiers was common, he displayed an affinity for the game that bordered on the psychic. Premonitions of future knowledge rippled back and laced themselves through his brain and influenced what was seemingly the most mundane of choices.

Those same premonitions, whispered truths from nether voices, made themselves heard that day, and Taj--open to them, despite the precautions his brain took to insure its own sanity--felt a slight tug. A minor push, a gentle voice that said, "here."

Taj's cursor glided down from Fox, as if its owner were in a trance. It moved right, past Pikachu, past Jigglypuff, and fell upon the center square of the bottom row.

Mewtwo.

All events can be traced to a cause, and if you were to find the catalyst for what happened next it would, without any shred of doubt, be the click of an innocuous green button, sliding through its chamber, to trigger an electrical signal that changed the world.

The noise that came from the television then was not silence but was not sound. It was a nether-wave that tore through the music and the conversation of Taj's gaming compatriots, an anti-silence that absorbed the ambiance and drew power from it. And with that consuming wave came one dark tendril, then two, then three, spiraling wisps that grew in thickness and length and headed towards one irrevocable destination.

The arms drew in the light and consumed it, spitting out a trailing coruscation as they entwined Taj, who still sat without moving or speaking, staring wide-eyed into the terrible maw of darkness. Ominous laughter shook the remaining foundation of the crumbling house and a voice, in a language unspeakable and unknowable, slithered through Taj's brain with a seductive susurrus. They lifted him into the air while around him life itself melted away.

The voice continued to wind through the inner chambers of Taj's mind, promising, threatening, spitting, cursing. And then, at the end... asking.

It stopped, to wait for an answer.

Time itself held its breath.

Taj's eyes softened, and he breathed a single word:

"Yes."

The laughter grew, then died as a swirling ball of utter blackness, the purest antithesis of brilliance, formed with Taj at its center.

It swept apart the remaining matter that still stood whole before it, and pushed on through the neighborhood, the town, the city, until it had grown to a sphere thirty miles wide. Abruptly, it shrunk down to the size of a swirling gem which burrowed itself deep into Taj's heart, and suspended above the crater formed by its dark power, Taj slowly lowered to the ground.

It is there, in the center of that carnage, that he was found later by authorities, who stared dumbfounded at the scene of destruction before them.

The world has never been the same since. Following that day, when Taj's body became a willing vessel for the consuming legion of shadow, he has walked the streets and highways of America, laying waste to all who stood before him.

And, we are certain, it was in fact the voice of the blackness himself, the primordial shadow that existed in the pure darkness before any light ever shone, and his voice undoubtedly lives on in Taj's mind.

What did that voice say? You'll have to ask Taj. He won't tell you, of course. To say those words would fulfill the tales whispered in the legacies of dark tomes, would precipitate the very crumbling of the Earth itself. The most I have ever heard him say, in a hoarse and shallow whisper that teetered dangerously over the precipice of madness, was this:

"You can't run from darkness."

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Taj chose Mewtwo? I suppose you could put it like that.

There was a time, long ago, when Taj did not even think about playing as Mewtwo. Perhaps you could call him foolish, but I would contend that this is the state all mortals assume when confronted with something greater than themselves. They blind themselves to truth in order to maintain balance within their fragile minds.

Indeed, opening your mind up to the abyss, the infinite, the primal darkness within us all... it is no small task.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Bear in mind that my account of Taj's story is pieced together from the broken sobs of witnesses, what little I have gleaned from Taj's sparse but dark recollections, and my own memory of that day. I was not there, mind you, but in a location a safe distance away--Texas, as it turns out.

That day began like any other, but as is typical of a day capable of shattering the Earth itself, there were... portents. The birds stopped singing. Plants grew still in the dying breeze and wilted with the passing of the Shadow. I felt the echoes, heard the soft song that slid across the ears like a sword being drawn from its sheath... but this is not my story.

Taj, of course, was blind to the coming, for reasons mentioned above. He was in that blissful state that many of us enjoyed, at the time: playing Super Smash Brothers: Melee.

In pursuit of speed, Taj played Fox and Marth, but also chose them for their grace and style. Even then, before knowledge of tiers was common, he displayed an affinity for the game that bordered on the psychic. Premonitions of future knowledge rippled back and laced themselves through his brain and influenced what was seemingly the most mundane of choices.

Those same premonitions, whispered truths from nether voices, made themselves heard that day, and Taj--open to them, despite the precautions his brain took to insure its own sanity--felt a slight tug. A minor push, a gentle voice that said, "here."

Taj's cursor glided down from Fox, as if its owner were in a trance. It moved right, past Pikachu, past Jigglypuff, and fell upon the center square of the bottom row.

Mewtwo.

All events can be traced to a cause, and if you were to find the catalyst for what happened next it would, without any shred of doubt, be the click of an innocuous green button, sliding through its chamber, to trigger an electrical signal that changed the world.

The noise that came from the television then was not silence but was not sound. It was a nether-wave that tore through the music and the conversation of Taj's gaming compatriots, an anti-silence that absorbed the ambiance and drew power from it. And with that consuming wave came one dark tendril, then two, then three, spiraling wisps that grew in thickness and length and headed towards one irrevocable destination.

The arms drew in the light and consumed it, spitting out a trailing coruscation as they entwined Taj, who still sat without moving or speaking, staring wide-eyed into the terrible maw of darkness. Ominous laughter shook the remaining foundation of the crumbling house and a voice, in a language unspeakable and unknowable, slithered through Taj's brain with a seductive susurrus. They lifted him into the air while around him life itself melted away.

The voice continued to wind through the inner chambers of Taj's mind, promising, threatening, spitting, cursing. And then, at the end... asking.

It stopped, to wait for an answer.

Time itself held its breath.

Taj's eyes softened, and he breathed a single word:

"Yes."

The laughter grew, then died as a swirling ball of utter blackness, the purest antithesis of brilliance, formed with Taj at its center.

It swept apart the remaining matter that still stood whole before it, and pushed on through the neighborhood, the town, the city, until it had grown to a sphere thirty miles wide. Abruptly, it shrunk down to the size of a swirling gem which burrowed itself deep into Taj's heart, and suspended above the crater formed by its dark power, Taj slowly lowered to the ground.

It is there, in the center of that carnage, that he was found later by authorities, who stared dumbfounded at the scene of destruction before them.

The world has never been the same since. Following that day, when Taj's body became a willing vessel for the consuming legion of shadow, he has walked the streets and highways of America, laying waste to all who stood before him.

And, we are certain, it was in fact the voice of the blackness himself, the primordial shadow that existed in the pure darkness before any light ever shone, and his voice undoubtedly lives on in Taj's mind.

What did that voice say? You'll have to ask Taj. He won't tell you, of course. To say those words would fulfill the tales whispered in the legacies of dark tomes, would precipitate the very crumbling of the Earth itself. The most I have ever heard him say, in a hoarse and shallow whisper that teetered dangerously over the precipice of madness, was this:

"You can't run from darkness."
QFT. BTW

All of it.

S2

Smash Lord
Well I don't actually main him, but I do play him a lot.

Anyway, M2 is basically the definition of cool. Awesome purple flames, floats around, evil voice. Right from the get-go you realize he's the greatest.

That and the glory that is swiping my Falcon playing friend just a little bit too far off the stage with the b-air.
Nothing like the swipe of a tail to send him to his doom. Looks so freakin weak.

Here's to hoping M2 comes back in Brawl at the top of the tier list (where he belongs).

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I love pokemon and mew2 just happens to be my favorite. I used to take on multiple opponents and win but i dont really use him anymore. He is broken in the bad way, although you can still beat the jigglypuff out of someone, mewtwo still never deserved that.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
umm, i bought smash when it was released, and i didn't take me more than half a month to unlock mewtwo, and since then i mained it because in that time I still enjoyed pokemon (my las version was the silver version) and it is my favorite pokemon (alongside with Houndoom) so believe me that it was really a neat an exciting surprise when i saw the challanger shadow.. since then , i tried to main him, also with fox and marth, then dropped fox, I started to grow better and better with marth so i seconded him, altought i used pretty good (in newbie standarts)

now i use (in newbie standars still T.T) Marth, Falco and him. but now i actually almost never win with him... and gets frustrating to play against foxes that know how to fight mewtwos....

anyway, i'm really looking forwad the Brawl buffed mewtwo... :)

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
I just liked mewtwo.
I knew he sucked, but it's always fun getting good with a terrible character and then saying "Hey, I just beat you with the worst character in the game how do you feel?"
Its pretty bad buts it's true and thats a major reason I think most people will go out of their way to play a poor character. Other than that, I actually do like the way mewtwo moves about. His throws are really cool also and give the impression of power.

slave1

Smash Lord
so did TAJ's story actually acomplish anything like telling why he chose mewtwo. i did like some of those words though they were fun. and if it was phonix that exploded, i dont think i would mind to much. it is much too hot for humans to live there.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
When I first played as Mewtwo, I knew I had the best character ever at my fingertips. Mewtwo is a God Tier smasher IMO. Why people hate him, I will never know. I was not aware of tiers when I picked him and I was surprised when I saw that Mewtwo was a bottom tier. Perhaps I was just so used to him that I surpassed all Foxes and Falcos, maybe I have a calling to use underrated characters, maybe I was so dedicated to him that I became great, or maybe I know something that they don't. I don't know, but Mewtwo is the greatest character ever in my book.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Mewtwo and I always had an on/off relationship ever since Melee was released. I do enjoy messing around with him but he's not my main. He's so sexy when played right.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I saw the preview for Taj's second video with the Wu-Tang songs.

I was like "dayumn, Mew2 is pretty gangsta".

---> picking up Mew2

Moo2

Smash Cadet
i chose to main mewtwo because he is evil. and he is psychic. this was, of course, back when i didn't know about all this tier and advanced techniques business.

.Stormchaser

Smash Cadet
I chose Mewtwo as my character really, really slowly, actually. I didn't see him as a character I would be good with at all until I tried a couple of event matches with him and did surprisingly good.

However, Mewtwo was the only character where I won a match the first time I tried playing as him, and it's kind of a natural thing for me, I have no idea why, though.

When I was on the final event match, I kept trying to win it as Pikachu, who was my main at the time, to no avail, so I tried a couple other alternatives. My cousin then suggested Mewtwo, so I tried it. I didn't win instantly, but I did a whole lot better than either of us expected, and so I messed around with his character and I got really good with him more than anyone else.

Of course I'm no pro or anything...

But I picked him from then on as my character since I just loved how I was able to beat the final event matches with him, since that unlocked Final Destination, my favorite stage! ^^ And now I'm better with him than anyone else.

Of course remember that I'm still quite terrible compared to the videos I've seen of other smashers...

dgtsamus15

Smash Rookie
I main more than one person and I like using Mewtwo. He just seemed to work with me well in some way, and I enjoyed playing him. I didn't know he was so low on the tier list though, I just found out recently.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
I chose to main Mewtwo because, in my pov, he has potential to be the best character in the game... and he's already the most badass

I think he's just about close to it.... (proven by Taj and others)

But I dunno, don't think he's quite gotten there yet...

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I also just picked Mewtwo when i unlocked him when i was 8 years old. So he's been my main, but i quit him when i heard he sucks, but TAJ encouraged me(ShadowClaw)

.Stormchaser

Smash Cadet
I chose to main Mewtwo because, in my pov, he has potential to be the best character in the game... and he's already the most badass
i agree... i think mewtwo has that potential, the thing is, to play him you have to be able to read your opponent's moves, and your playing him has to be to wait for your opponent to make a move, or at least, thats how Ive played him to the most success. i think that makes him the most unique character, even if he's not figuratively the best.

S4k3

Smash Rookie
As soon as I heard he was in the game, that's all it took. He could freakin teleport reflect back objects(in a cooler but less useful way than fox) has the coolest projectile....LOOKS BAD ***! I seriously didn't know about the tier list and wavedashing and etc. until 2007. I shed a small tear, but kept on going!

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Well for me I have this bad habit of only playing with characters I like. I was a "Poke-maniac" when I was a kid so when I started playing Melee I had to play with the coolest Pokemon ever.... Turns out he completely sucks for whatever stupid reason, but I still main him anyway even though I do much better with other characters.

TomSquirrel-Lord

Smash Cadet
presonally I chose Mewtwo because when I got a walkthrough many years ago I said "OMG! Mewtwo is in melee??!! THATS AWESOME!!!" and being the poke-addict that I still am, I unlocked him the second night I got he game (left the game on over night). then I beat him with pichu.

Thats the story of how I came to know him and I chose to main him mostly because he fits my playing style perfectly. His dodge is Excellent and teleport is usefull for dodging aswell. I'm known by my friends as not an attacker but a dodging opportunist ;)

-Tom

Micahc

Smash Ace
i agree... i think mewtwo has that potential, the thing is, to play him you have to be able to read your opponent's moves, and your playing him has to be to wait for your opponent to make a move, or at least, thats how Ive played him to the most success. i think that makes him the most unique character, even if he's not figuratively the best.
Uhhh.... you have to read your opponents EXTREMELY well to play ANY character competitively. Having to do the same with Mewtwo doesn't make him unique at all. I might as well say the same about Sheik.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
As soon as I heard he was in the game, that's all it took. He could freakin teleport reflect back objects(in a cooler but less useful way than fox) has the coolest projectile....LOOKS BAD ***! I seriously didn't know about the tier list and wavedashing and etc. until 2007. I shed a small tear, but kept on going!
Same here. I never cared for 'competitive' smashing, and I doubt I ever will. Personally, I think people who play Smash on FD with no items are playing the wrong game.

Uhhh.... you ahve to rad your opponents EXTREMELY well to play ANY character competitively. Having to do the same with Mewtwo doesn't make him unique at all. I might as well say the same about Sheik.
Mewtwo isn't as good at reacting on his own as a fast character is. That's like saying Bowser can run just as fast as Fox, because they can both dash (maybe not as drastic, but you see my point?). ...and I'm gonna get flamed for this.

...and this is my first post out of the Brawl section. I decided to look up all of the cool strategies and stuff from Melee, as I've finally gotten back into it., and this is the first time I've even known about this stuff.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Same here. I never cared for 'competitive' smashing, and I doubt I ever will. Personally, I think people who play Smash on FD with no items are playing the wrong game.
Not gonna debate this cause it's been debated to death... and it pisses me off :p

Mewtwo isn't as good at reacting on his own as a fast character is. That's like saying Bowser can run just as fast as Fox, because they can both dash (maybe not as drastic, but you see my point?). ...and I'm gonna get flamed for this.
I think I might see your point, but saying that you need to predict your opponent well is like saying you need to use an Cube controller. No matter what character you play, you need to be able to predict. It doesn't make Mewtwo unique at all.

...and this is my first post out of the Brawl section. I decided to look up all of the cool strategies and stuff from Melee, as I've finally gotten back into it., and this is the first time I've even known about this stuff.
Welcome back.

quak

Smash Champion
micahc, change your avatar, it offends me

two things factor into skill in smash: mindgames and tech skill

being able to read your opponents well is part of mindgames

so basicly what some of you are saying is in order to beat your opponents with mewtwo, you have to be better than them

der

quak

Smash Champion
double post glitchiness

.... on a lighter note, my combo vid should be out within a couple of weeks or whatever

:p

Micahc

Smash Ace
micahc, change your avatar, it offends me

two things factor into skill in smash: mindgames and tech skill

being able to read your opponents well is part of mindgames

so basicly what some of you are saying is in order to beat your opponents with mewtwo, you have to be better than them

der
Which doesn't make him unique like people are saying!

Actually, I'm not sure what people are saying anymore....

Kasek

Smash Ace
I think what we're TRYING to say is that Mewtwo requires MORE ability to predict than others. It doesn't make him unique, but it does make him more fun to play as (for me, anyways). Like when playing with a brand-new controller VS an old controller- they SHOULD be the same, but you KNOW that they're not. Wait, bad analogy.

What DOES make him unique, though? Aside from his coolness factor.

Micahc

Smash Ace
I think what we're TRYING to say is that Mewtwo requires MORE ability to predict than others. It doesn't make him unique, but it does make him more fun to play as (for me, anyways). Like how playing with a brand-new controller VS an old controller.
Yeah you pretty much summed it up I think.

Kasek

Smash Ace
I think what we're TRYING to say is that Mewtwo requires MORE ability to predict than others. It doesn't make him unique, but it does make him more fun to play as (for me, anyways). Like when playing with a brand-new controller VS an old controller- they SHOULD be the same, but you KNOW that they're not. Wait, bad analogy.

What DOES make him unique, though? Aside from his coolness factor.
Oops. Accidentally posted it early. My bad. Fixed it.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I think it's important to recognize that no matter what you do, Mewtwo will not be "better" than more than half the cast. He is a character comprised of programming and statistics.

He is not a good character. Yes, he is underrated because many people can't use him well. That does not mean he is the best.

Can you win with Mewtwo? If you're good enough. And even then, you're going to have a hard time because some strategies are just too overwhelming. But you can reach a peak that most players will not overcome. Taj can slaughter 99 percent of competitive Smash players with Mewtwo.

The player's skill, no matter how great, will not alter the game's programming. Apart from the fact that Taj can mentally reach into the game and re-wire it mid-match like a human AR, that is.

The reason people can work magic with crappy characters is because they understand the game and they understand their opponents.

As for Mewtwo's uniqueness; he's one of the largest characters, and simultaneously one of the lightest. This alone gives him a very steep learning curve. His DJC helps sets him apart from most characters, his maneuverability is one of the best of the low-tiers, and he has absurdly incredible recovery. Between the Taj Loop and your Super Double Jump, with shadowball propulsion for mixup, you will probably not die unless you kill yourself or die off the edge from the hit itself. His recovery, combo capabilities, and mobility set him apart from the other low-tiers.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I picked mewtwo because in my crew, between all of us, we can play every character really well. Mewtwo supposedly sucks, but i disagree, you just have to be really creative. Yeah a couple matchups you stand almost no chance (like Falco), but you can get really clever and combo the hell out of anyone.

I rocked a low tier tourney pretty hard with Mewtwo, and people were like wtf. It was pretty fun. All those Links were in awe.

Too bad Pika is so **** quick.

Top Bottom