• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did Brawl have to ruin Sonic for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
You know, growing up when I was literally like, 4 years old, I was IN LOVE with Sonic. All I did was play Sonic 1 & 2. I'd wake up every morning and watch SatAM. I watched AOSTH as well, which was goofy but at the time I loved it since I was a little kid.

Time went on, and I played Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. Also, Sonic 2 and Knuckles. When I was in middle school I used to wake up at 5 AM just to watch Sonic Underground. Idk why the **** they put it on so early, but whatever.

I met this kid who got me into Sonic the Hedgehog comics, which were based on SatAM. I even had Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D Blast. I still have them.

I bought a Dreamcast and played Sonic Adventure. I played Sonic Adventure 2 when it came out.

When Sonic X was on TV, I watched that **** nonstop. I've literally played every good Sonic The Hedgehog game, and watched every Sonic The Hedgeghog TV series.

****, when I was younger I used to go outside and run around as fast as I could pretending to be Sonic. I used to eat Chili Dogs nonstop. I didn't even like them, but that's what Sonic did so I had to do it.

He was my hero, my idol, my god. I literally wished I was Sonic The Hedgehog when I was younger.

And, I still loved him...Until about 2 years ago. Brawl.

Way to take one of my favorite video game characters and just make him suck horribly.

Does anyone realize that, if you actually took Sonic The Hedgehog and accurately portrayed him in Brawl, he'd easily be the best character? Him or Snake at least. He can run at the speed of sound, turn into a buzzsaw (Which Brawl conveniently left out) and just mess people up.

Let's look at the best characters in Brawl.

Meta Knight- Yeah, he'd be up there if the characters were true to their origins pre-brawl, but Sonic would just outspeed him and Meta Knight wouldn't be able to touch him. In fact, Sonic has brought down institutions way bigger than Meta Knight's Halberd. Death Egg, anyone?

DeDeDe- LOL WTF A FAT PENGUIN IS BETTER THAN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG? BULL ****!

Wario- Wow. Just wow.

Diddy- A monkey with bananas. That's so ****ing insulting to Sonic.

It's like, they took what should be the best character, or at least tied for 1st with Snake, and just made him into a pile of ****.

Then, there's the Brawl players. Yeah, I'm looking at YOU. Who INSIST on playing Sonic in Brawl, despite how terrible he is. It's like, you could play a good character, and then play Sonic on the side for fun.

But no. You just HAVE to play him, and make Brawl completely unenjoyable in that annoying *** match.

I'll say this for you in case the people you play with don't tell you this: No one likes playing against Sonic. It's ****ing annoying.

He literally runs and spins and jumps and springs around while you're on the ground ****ing chasing him which is pointless since it's impossible to catch him, and you're getting hit every once in a while for 2% here, 5% there. It's like, wtf is the point?

Do you guys play this character to annoy your opponents? Cuz it definitely works. Who knows wtf that character is doing when he's just spinning and going crazy all over the place. He looks like he's on crack. Thanks Nintendo, for completely butchering this character and making playing him pointless, and playing against him annoying and agonizing.

That being said, I love you all <3.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Then, there's the Brawl players. Yeah, I'm looking at YOU. Who INSIST on playing Sonic in Brawl, despite how terrible he is. It's like, you could play a good character, and then play Sonic on the side for fun.

But no. You just HAVE to play him, and make Brawl completely unenjoyable in that annoying *** match.

I'll say this for you in case the people you play with don't tell you this: No one likes playing against Sonic. It's ****ing annoying.

He literally runs and spins and jumps and springs around while you're on the ground ****ing chasing him which is pointless since it's impossible to catch him, and you're getting hit every once in a while for 2% here, 5% there. It's like, wtf is the point?

Do you guys play this character to annoy your opponents? Cuz it definitely works. Who knows wtf that character is doing when he's just spinning and going crazy all over the place. He looks like he's on crack. Thanks Nintendo, for completely butchering this character and making playing him pointless, and playing against him annoying and agonizing.

You er...you sure you played Sonic games?
I'm with you on Nintendo making him worse than he should be and generally trying to make him an unpopular character by making him super fast and having annoying taunts but Sonic is...well, supposed to run around and spin. Thats what he's been doing for nearly 18 years now

Also, you main Snake, you can hardly complain about people not wanting to play a specific character. I haven't played any Metal Gear Solid games but I'm fairly certain Snake's camouflage devices don't go haywire and accidently cloak his incredibly fat thighs. That or Brawl gave him broken tilts, one of the two

And before anyone can say it, I think the problem is that you are simply too slow

I <3 you too btw

<3

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If you hate Sonic in Brawl, I can't imagine how you have managed to get past Sonic 06, if you have even done that at all.

I'm procrastinating schoolwork right now. If this doesn't get closed before I come back when I'm done, I'll be more than happy to give you a semi-serious response (more emphasis on the serious side). I can't tell if this is trolling or asking a serious question, but I can swing either way.

That said, I hope Chis/whoever else with powers views this thread gives me enough time.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫

I second what Rick said. You sure played old/new Sonic games...? He's been jumping around since Sonic 1 and Spindashing since Sonic 2.

'Cause things like CG's and broken tilts are not annoying at all.
<3

He's Sonic. You don't expect him to be slow or some heavy hitter.

Awesome story though.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Well, you should be fortunate if any of what you said was meant. Cause for snake, at least when he hits, he hits hard.

That and if you just keep a grenade in your hand at all times all we can do is get hit by it. Really, that's all you need to do LOL.

:093:

Jakandsig

Smash Apprentice
You know, growing up when I was literally like, 4 years old, I was IN LOVE with Sonic. All I did was play Sonic 1 & 2. I'd wake up every morning and watch SatAM. I watched AOSTH as well, which was goofy but at the time I loved it since I was a little kid.

Time went on, and I played Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. Also, Sonic 2 and Knuckles. When I was in middle school I used to wake up at 5 AM just to watch Sonic Underground. Idk why the **** they put it on so early, but whatever.

I met this kid who got me into Sonic the Hedgehog comics, which were based on SatAM. I even had Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D Blast. I still have them.

I bought a Dreamcast and played Sonic Adventure. I played Sonic Adventure 2 when it came out.

When Sonic X was on TV, I watched that **** nonstop. I've literally played every good Sonic The Hedgehog game, and watched every Sonic The Hedgeghog TV series.

****, when I was younger I used to go outside and run around as fast as I could pretending to be Sonic. I used to eat Chili Dogs nonstop. I didn't even like them, but that's what Sonic did so I had to do it.

He was my hero, my idol, my god. I literally wished I was Sonic The Hedgehog when I was younger.

And, I still loved him...Until about 2 years ago. Brawl.

Way to take one of my favorite video game characters and just make him suck horribly.

Does anyone realize that, if you actually took Sonic The Hedgehog and accurately portrayed him in Brawl, he'd easily be the best character? Him or Snake at least. He can run at the speed of sound, turn into a buzzsaw (Which Brawl conveniently left out) and just mess people up.

Let's look at the best characters in Brawl.

Meta Knight- Yeah, he'd be up there if the characters were true to their origins pre-brawl, but Sonic would just outspeed him and Meta Knight wouldn't be able to touch him. In fact, Sonic has brought down institutions way bigger than Meta Knight's Halberd. Death Egg, anyone?

DeDeDe- LOL WTF A FAT PENGUIN IS BETTER THAN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG? BULL ****!

Wario- Wow. Just wow.

Diddy- A monkey with bananas. That's so ****ing insulting to Sonic.

It's like, they took what should be the best character, or at least tied for 1st with Snake, and just made him into a pile of ****.

All the games after Sonic Adventure to sucks. Infact, a magazine said if you still love Sonic after playing even Sonic heroes you need to see a therapist for your problem.

Browny

Smash Hater
And now explain how Mewtwo, the most powerful pokemon to exist (in his time), was bottom tier.

lol

idk why you wasted ur time with this thread tbh.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm with DJ.

I would've enjoyed it if there was a comical approach to it, but it was more like
*sob sob johns sob sob*

Everyone knows Sonic should be the best in the game based on real life elements, but ya know, Sonic always liked a challenge. He doesn't take the easy way out. He also doesn't gripe about silly things and than just main top tier characters anyway.

Also, Sonic annoys the living **** out of everyone he beats, lol. C'mon seriously? Have you forgotten Eggman? He drives the man insane.

When we annoy the **** of you during your matches, and make you think a low tier character might actually be mid tier to the point where he gets moved up 8 spots, that means we're doing our job right.

I take this thread as a compliment.

bobson

Smash Lord

Do you guys play this character to annoy your opponents? Cuz it definitely works. Who knows wtf that character is doing when he's just spinning and going crazy all over the place. He looks like he's on crack.
This is a perfect summation of fighting Sonic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I didn't know we were playing Sonic to keep him mid-tier/rise.

Is there anybody else here that actually plays Sonic because he is the player's best character, or is very, VERY, VERY delusional (probably just as much as Eggman)?

Guess I'm a lone Werehog for now...

Id' write a long summary, but I figure it's not worth the effort if it's just a post with the only intention of sparking comments such as "umad?" Or would be "TL;DR - I play Sawnik for these reasons."

Such a shame, I love to write about random junk that inspires me to pass time.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, I'm not. I think Sonic is low tier. I'm just saying we must be doing something right if we made people think he really is mid tier.

I play Sonic because I've sold my soul to Sega a long time ago, and quite frankly all the top and high tier characters in this game are either boring or gay as balls.

Well, except for maybe Diddy. His gay is fun, lol.

I also like fast characters. No one measures up to the level of awesome that is Sonic the Hedgehog. Link comes close, but he's in an even worse position in this game, which is truley a shame.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Our mindgames are so good, I believe Sonic is a mid-tier character. I play this character.

Too good.

The real little comet

Smash Cadet
I've never really had a bad opinion on Sonic in Brawl.
The majority of them I've face were utterly horrible.
You might as well have chained twenty iron ball shackles to his ankles, and it wouldn't change a thing for me.

As for one...
yeah, I was sorta annoyed.
Although, I'm not completely sure if I would have been if it was one on one.
But I'm kinda sure I would have lost anyway.
Something tells me I want to avoid people like this.

My point being, I can name someone even more annoying in the game. (IMO anyway,)

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Did brawl ruin metaknight for you too? Or the entire kirby franchise? Honestly, it sort of did for me.. But the only kirby game i ever played was Crystal Shards, so it's not a huge loss.

Sonic-Rave

Smash Journeyman
Yer tew sloe! :D

^ Is that what sonic looks like in barwl when he's running and spinning and springing and shot-spinning?

I remember why I main him now...

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫

SothE700k

Smash Lord

You know what they say, Always the Sonic Mains.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really don't understand you, man.

I get your point about Sonic being a bad character, but pretty much everyone is already over this. It's easy to complain, but for us true Sonic fans who want to see the guy rule the tourneys, we stick to the blue guy.

Sonic only turned into a buzzsaw in SatAM, and I honestly always despised that. Since my first perception of Sonic was Sonic 1, when he always curled into a BALL. And Sonic 2 (you can tell in the Special Stages that he's no buzzsaw).

Way to be an example of how a Sonic fan should NOT be. I've seen people work their ***** off to make Sonic into a better character, and you try telling us it's futile? Well Tier List 3.0 would like a word with you.

Yes he started out as a bad character, and it's taken me roughly a YEAR and a HALF of hard practice to start winning with him. And I'm proud all my hard work's been paying off lately. The next SSB game might not feature Sonic again, so I decided to main him this time, since there may not be another chance.

Sonic has always been a priority of mine to become my main.. I've obviously been better with at least 10 characters before Sonic rose to my #2/ #1 spots, but even if he was my #12th best character, I'd always practice. And today, he is my main.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
When we annoy the **** of you during your matches, and make you think a low tier character might actually be mid tier to the point where he gets moved up 8 spots, that means we're doing our job right.

I thought we played Sonic to humiliate our opponents because they just lost to a Sonic. :p

But seriously, I don't really see this as a complaint thread, but rather a thread bringing up things we already knew. Yes Sonic would have been top tier if this was based on canon but it's not. Most of us play Sonic because of the same reason we liked him in the first place. His games. As for Sonic being annoying, you should try facing a good Olimar/Peach/G&W/Marth with him :ohwell:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Or just play against on Olimar in general. Now HE'S annoying.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand you, man.

I get your point about Sonic being a bad character, but pretty much everyone is already over this. It's easy to complain, but for us true Sonic fans who want to see the guy rule the tourneys, we stick to the blue guy.

Sonic only turned into a buzzsaw in SatAM, and I honestly always despised that. Since my first perception of Sonic was Sonic 1, when he always curled into a BALL. And Sonic 2 (you can tell in the Special Stages that he's no buzzsaw).

Way to be an example of how a Sonic fan should NOT be. I've seen people work their ***** off to make Sonic into a better character, and you try telling us it's futile? Well Tier List 3.0 would like a word with you.

Yes he started out as a bad character, and it's taken me roughly a YEAR and a HALF of hard practice to start winning with him. And I'm proud all my hard work's been paying off lately. The next SSB game might not feature Sonic again, so I decided to main him this time, since there may not be another chance.

Sonic has always been a priority of mine to become my main.. I've obviously been better with at least 10 characters before Sonic rose to my #2/ #1 spots, but even if he was my #12th best character, I'd always practice. And today, he is my main.
Now see this is what im talkin about. True dedication and practice shows in how you play. Hell it took me from when the game first came out till now to get good with him. But hell im tryin my *** off to bring him up on the tier list. That's every Sonic main's dream is to see him in the top tier. Ill will **** myself when that day comes. And as for the *****in in this thread, Cmon man you aint a true fan if you dont stick through thick and thin with sonic. So in the werds of what true fan's think SHUT THE HELL UP. BOXOB FOR MAYOR!!!!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You can be a Sonic fanboy and just hate him in Brawl.

However, I will take Echi's epic post as a late birthday present. He almost literally took the words right from my mouth and summed it up in a short enough post that people will ACTUALLY read.

Sure, he's still bad, or lack-luster compared to some other characters, but that doesn't stop some.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
You can be a Sonic fanboy and just hate him in Brawl.

However, I will take Echi's epic post as a late birthday present. He almost literally took the words right from my mouth and summed it up in a short enough post that people will ACTUALLY read.

Sure, he's still bad, or lack-luster compared to some other characters, but that doesn't stop some.
OO Happy late birthday Kinz!! And ok Sonic may not be the cream of the crop but cmon hes Sonic the ferkin hedgehog. His rep is enough for me. Plus, i dont care how bad people say he is hes just right fer meh ;)!!!

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
I knew about Sonic before I knew about Mario. My first console was a Sega Genesis, and I only got a Wii (read: non-Gameboy Nintendo console) a bit after Wii Fit was announced.

Are there a ton of things about Sonic these days that fail? Yeah. But despite the recent fail (I tried watching a Sonic cartoon; I puked mentally), Sonic in Brawl is just fun to play. For some reason, his Uair-Uair combo never gets old :p

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
^^

You were probably watching the 4KIDS dubbed Sonic X.

Try watching the Japanese version. I promise you you'll love it better.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Happy belated birthday, Kinzer. :D Hope you had a blast.

Ugh... 4Kids dub... my ears are scarred for life after listening to Cream the Rabbit speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom