• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Brawl can never be patched/updated

I knew the wii was crap (in terms of software/hardware), but this was a bit more than I'd expect.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I don't even care, I shouldn't update my Wii in the first place.
10homebrewchannels

Brawl-wise, yeah, it's pretty sad. :(

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even the Dreamcast was better than this. Wow, Nintendo, learn to make your consoles a bit better. *shakes head in disgust*

And I wanted a decent update to the games...or the system for that matter. Nobody wants a lame clock. Everybody has a freakin' clock anyway. The GameCube had better features...built in already. This is truly sad.

Well... at least the wiimote is cool concept? *shrug*
Yeah, motion control sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until you experience lag and play games that require fast reaction time. Not to mention limited readable motion controls. Looks like it's a priceless dream for casual gamers regardless. :p

Darkurai

Smash Master
You know what's sad?

If Nintendo were to suddenly stop making consoles (like Sega) and become a third-party developer, then I would be thanking the lord.

Nintendo, get your **** act together.

Geist

Smash Master
You know what's sad?

If Nintendo were to suddenly stop making consoles (like Sega) and become a third-party developer, then I would be thanking the lord.

Nintendo, get your **** act together.
You know what's also sad? I'm in total agreeance.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
This just made me do a facepalm. I don't understand the computer hardware talk but I got the important things out of that.

****, I should have just gotten a PS3 when I had the chance haha

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice
i like how were all bashing the sh*t out of nintendo and the wii, when theyre have and are making CRAP LOADS of cash cause of the wii.

im not defending the wii or nintendo, its just funny

trev94

Smash Journeyman
come on guys my wii has not even got a skrach on it. the wii is better at on thing. WORKING. Xbox and ps3 brake down 24-7

Javier78

Smash Apprentice
come on guys my wii has not even got a skrach on it. the wii is better at on thing. WORKING. Xbox and ps3 brake down 24-7
You have to be a diehard Nintendo fan to be defending Nintendo right now.

This thread makes me want a 360.:(

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Since the day I got my 360, I have never touched my Wii other than to play Melee.

Glad I made the right choice.

Flayl

Smash Hero
People are sorry they bought wii's because you can't patch the games...

Are you people morons?

Whatever, the real problem with the wii is the lack of worthwhile games, not this.

Revven

FrankerZ
People are sorry they bought wii's because you can't patch the games...

Are you people morons?

Whatever, the real problem with the wii is the lack of worthwhile games, not this.
It's not just because they can't patch/update games, it's because it's a terrible update system. They went in KNOWING that they couldn't do this and outright lied to their fans of their systems. Every update isn't worthwhile, all of it could've been done when the Wii first came out. It also shows you how dumb Nintendo is with online even moreso because they can't even update their console a more NORMAL way, they have to do it some arbitrary way, why would they do it this way? What makes it easier and more efficient? Seriously?

The kicker though is this: they can never change the Wii Menu. Meaning that when you run out of channel space, you run out of channel space. They can't add anymore space for channels so at some point, they're going to have to stop making channels or allow you to use the channels while they're on your SD Card. And their storage solution for VC games? It's going to be watered down as hell as marcan in the article said. They only have three options and it looks like they're going to go with the third crappy option.

cman

Smash Ace
Well he does have a tiny point. I'm pretty sure the early 360s had problems with overheating, and I'm pretty sure my wii never caught on fire...

*Shoots the first person who brings up the fact that microsoft fixed that problem, and thus is better.*

finalark

SNORLAX
...I want a PS3 :(
Get one. NOW.

Back on track:

Ever since Nintedo 64 Nintendo's been behind. When others were using disks they were still using cartridges. When the Gamecube came out, it was the only system that didn't have online support (That Phantasy Star Online port doesn't count) and didn't play DVDs. And now... well, just read the article.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
*has a 360 and is lovin it*

The only wii game I currently own is brawl. I traded in the other games for cash. :)

rehab

Smash Journeyman
No more Heroes, Fire Emblem, VC and a way to play old GC stuff is good enough to keep the console anyway.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Mine has not done that since I got it, but get this. My wii scratched up my Brawl disk. It can no longer play it without me rubbing it down with soap and water every time I want to play. It has not been scratched by me. I can prove this. There is no reason to take Brawl out of the Wii.

Since the day I got my 360, I have never touched my Wii

Glad I made the right choice.
It's ok dude, I'm trying to break the habit. Wife and kids hate it when I touch it in front of them.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're truly l33t you'll get all three. :3

But seriously, I prefer my ps3/360. Better games and better graphics. But I still like the wii for it's VC games and exclusives. It may not be the greatest, but it's not bad. :/

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
lulz all my friend's 360s broke within the first week of getting them:laugh:. Wanna know what it took for me to break my Wii? (yeah, I actually tried out of curiosity when I found out they replace it for free)
1. I wrapped it in towels inside a cardboard box
2. Placed the box in a tiny cabinet
3. played it all day in the summer heat
It worked the whole time. Then I shut it off and when I turned it back on again it could only reach the "press A to continue" screen. Nintendo said it overheated (well duh!). Mmm hmmm... never gonna do that again...

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
i like how were all bashing the sh*t out of nintendo and the wii, when theyre have and are making CRAP LOADS of cash cause of the wii.

im not defending the wii or nintendo, its just funny
It's not funny because Nintendo is just cashing on the casual gamers.

Stuff like:

1. Wii Fit : LOSE WEIGHT INSTANTLY!

2. Wii Sports : JUST LIKE SPORTS EXCEPT IN YOUR LIVING ROOM

3. Mario Kart Wii: Just like the last game except with online play, woo!

4. Animal Crossing: Same as above

In all seriousness though, I am kind of hating Nintendo right now. No it's not because the Wii is a cash cow and they're cashing in, smart decision Nintendo.

It's just that they promised "revolution" and "innovation" but can you really say any of their games are revolutionary or innovative? Sure the Wii can be called slightly innovative just because it has a motion sensor control but that's it, their games have been basically the exact same thing just with tacked on motion controls.

Also the Wii is kind of expensive for what it does(comparing to Xbox360 though), and most people are paying more than $250(at least in 2007-2008 they were) because of shortage of the Wii.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I think the wii is fun as a family console, which was needed in this era. Xbox/ps3 contained mostly violence games, the wii is a console for the whole family.

I like to play kart with my brother, I like to tennis with my brother, etcetera. Because it's fun for him, which makes it enjoyable for me.

I don't know what you guys are saying with the whole update thing. In times of N64 there was no updating for it, and I didn't hear ANY whining, now that it's possible you MUST have it? Come on!

Bladewing

Smash Apprentice
come on guys, don't tell me this. I spent over 200$ on my wii only to be told it's a peice o ****. It's not thaaaaat bad.

Ahiru77

Smash Rookie
I dont care what the rest thinks, im having mad fun on the wii and the wii alone. The rest can just burn. I believe in the makers and third parties, they will come through.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Fortunately, I play Brawl only, pretty much. The only thing that irks me is that there are no game patches. We want Roy back! And some balancing/getting rid of bugs and glitches would be nice.

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
I think the wii is fun as a family console, which was needed in this era. Xbox/ps3 contained mostly violence games, the wii is a console for the whole family.

I like to play kart with my brother, I like to tennis with my brother, etcetera. Because it's fun for him, which makes it enjoyable for me.

I don't know what you guys are saying with the whole update thing. In times of N64 there was no updating for it, and I didn't hear ANY whining, now that it's possible you MUST have it? Come on!
qft.

Theres 2 systems for the more hardcore gamers. Wii has always been thought of a casual/party/family system. I own both a ps3 and wii, and I enjoy the wii because it allows me to play with friends, something the ps3 doesnt do as well.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
You have to be a diehard Nintendo fan to be defending Nintendo right now. (
It'll be a lot easier when they come out with the great series games that Nintendo has (F-Zero, Starfox, Zelda, Pikmin 3 etc.) and stop pushing mini-games disguised as real games as their sole crop (Wii music, fit, sports etc.). Nintendo needs to stop forsaking ALL their fans in favor of getting into soccer moms' wallets.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I hate the Wii as much as the next man, I don't think anyone can argue that it compares to the other offering this gen. It is rediculessly underpowered, lacking the technology that is REQUIRED to make a decent console this generation.
But I think people need to look at the Wii differently. I keep hearing two sides to this debate, there is the majority of gamers who have either sold their Wii or left it to collect dust and have bought a 360, they hate the Wii and they hate the new direction that Nintendo is going in with the Wii console. Then I hear the dellusional and irrational Nintendo Uberfanboys who, despite Nintendo crapping on them again and again, just keep coming back for more and defending the Wii. Face it guys... the great games AREN'T coming, just more disapointment. They hate the 360 and the PS3... well actually they hate any console not made by Nintendo.

But both of these groups are looking at the Wii the wrong way. Ok, so sure, we are all aware that Nintendo no longer cares for its core audience. They have seen the casual audience is the best and easiest way to make money. I blame this on a couple of things.
Firstly, what no one seems to notice is, when did Nintendo first start to to develop this anti-hardcore attitude? About 2002-2003. Now, I love the Gamecube it was a great console with lots of quality titles, but despite this, it was during the GC era when they first started to act like this. What changed at Nintendo around this time? Satoru Iwata became preident of Nintendo in 2002. The Wii is the first console that has been developed while Iwata was president. Coincidence?
But can you blame Nintendo? Sure you can. But don't forget that despite the economic situation, Nintendo are doing better than ever before. Nintendo saw the success of the PS2, a casual console (don't try to deny it, as much as people would like to believe, the PS2 was severly underpowered in the sixth generation and attracted a huge ammount of shovelware). And they saw how the Gamecube, a console aimed at gamers, was for the most part a failure.
The fact is, whoever makes the worst, most underpowered, featureless crappy console will always come out on top. And Nintendo knows this.

Now instead of just bashing the Wii for being a terrible console, try to look at it from this perspective...
Although the Wii is lacking 90% of this generations top third party games, Nintendo consoles will always get some amazing exclusives. You can't get Super Maro Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Brawl, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii ect. on the 360. The Wii still has a lot of excelent games to offer.
Yes, you can't get the best out of this generation with just a Wii, you would miss some of the best titles. But equally, you can't get the best out of the generation WITHOUT a Wii.
The great games on the Wii are only on the Wii, and that makes the Wii an essential purchase this gen. I think for the first time, you NEED more than one console to get the majority of good games out now.

tl;dr : Wii60 FTW!

Top Bottom