• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why ban stages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
Why do you ban stages from tournaments? Nintendo puts them in for a reason--so people will play on them. I can understand custom stages because people may have their own strategies because nobody else has ever played on them. But besides that, why not just allow all stages? Ban glitch abuse instead!

TP

Smash Master
Why do you ban stages from tournaments? Nintendo puts them in for a reason--so people will play on them. I can understand custom stages because people may have their own strategies because nobody else has ever played on them. But besides that, why not just allow all stages? Ban glitch abuse instead!
Certain stage make luck too large a factor (Warioware), some make certain characters too good (Hyrule, just pick sonic, hit and run), some make certain characters too bad (Summit, no ledges for tethers), some test the wrong kind of skill (Mario Bros LOL), etc. We allow the stages that lead to the more skilled player winning.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Glitch abuse advances the metagame and the way the game is played. If you want to play it how sakurai intended it to be played (10 stock, new pork city, items on, 4 man ffa) then be my guest. Stages are banned for obvious reasons. Some are too hazerdous (75m, stage pillar, MARIO BROS OMG etc). Some are too big (Hyrule, new pork). They're banned because the matches would be basically be who can avoid the most hazards.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
If you think about it for a while you can probably come up with the answers by yourself.

example, finales of a brawl tournament, 5000$ on the line, last stock, you get hit by a randomly appearing chimera on new pork... yeah you really should have lost that match.

You can find the specific reasons behind the stage bannings per stage on the forums, look for them, if you still think they shouldnt be banned after that..than you shouldn´t be posting on a competitive smash forum.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yeah, I gotta be honest, I can't stand a lot of the stages on Brawl. (Although some that are banned aren't too bad.) If you're playing IN TOURNAMENT, (note the key words) would you be happy if you lost to some random guy that you KNOW you could beat? Why would that happen? Well it's all because of the stage. I can't tell you how many times I've lost because Pictochat is...well not even fun, in my opinion. It is far too random. Plus, you need to realize that stages that are banned isn't because of glitching. I can guarantee you that MORE people would be complaining about ALL the stages being on instead of a good amount being banned. Also...there wouldn't be a tournament scene...because people wouldn't go. Then again....I don't think any TO out there would go for the stages. Most people don't like all the stages.

Plus...it's really not nice to just say, "Ban glitch abuse". I'm sure if you found a neat little trick the book didn't tell you about and you used it. You'd be mad if someone called it a glitch, and told you not to use it. (Be honest with yourself) Also....it's not nice to assume that we're banning stages because you can't employ glitches. Would you rather have a game like MVC2, where everything is ruled pretty much by Sentinel, Magneto, and Storm? (I love MVC2, btw....but that is a bit frustrating.My first time playing it in an arcade and I get hit with infinites both matches. Guess what team it was?)

The rest is pretty much what those two, said.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Ban glitch abuse is really not on point when it comes to stage banning, as I don't think a single stage is banned due to glitches.

NPC, Temple, Spear Pillar, and Summit are banned for circle stalling and caves of life, which makes many matchups horrifically unbalanced and generally makes matches go far too long. Wario Ware gets banned for randomly conferring extreme advantages to players. Mario Bros and Flat Zone got the axe for difficult to avoid and extremely powerful hazards. Mushroomy Kingdom and Shadow Moses have permanent walls that too easily lead to infinites. Bridge of Eldin just makes matches far, far too long. Rumble Falls and Big Blue make the match more about fighting the stage, and both have near-instant KO hazards. Note that nothing here involves glitches.

To the above, if you lost to the stage hazards on Pictochat, then you just haven't played the stage enough. It gives you plenty of warning about what it's about to draw, and none of them really give amazing advantages upon drawing.

Stages aren't really banned for having too many hazards; they get banned if the hazards are powerful and difficult to avoid. Spear pillar and 75m were not banned for their hazards, but for the stage structure.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Because some stages absolutely suck and jeopardize every aspect of the game. Take 75m for example. The stage is too large, with too many platforms, and has ridiculous hazards that can easily kill you. It's also impossible to kill a good camper in that place. There are too many obvious reasons to ban stages.

Ban glitch abuse is really not on point when it comes to stage banning, as I don't think a single stage is banned due to glitches.

NPC, Temple, Spear Pillar, and Summit are banned for circle stalling and caves of life, which makes many matchups horrifically unbalanced and generally makes matches go far too long. Wario Ware gets banned for randomly conferring extreme advantages to players. Mario Bros and Flat Zone got the axe for difficult to avoid and extremely powerful hazards. Mushroomy Kingdom and Shadow Moses have permanent walls that too easily lead to infinites. Bridge of Eldin just makes matches far, far too long. Rumble Falls and Big Blue make the match more about fighting the stage, and both have near-instant KO hazards. Note that nothing here involves glitches.

To the above, if you lost to the stage hazards on Pictochat, then you just haven't played the stage enough. It gives you plenty of warning about what it's about to draw, and none of them really give amazing advantages upon drawing.

Stages aren't really banned for having too many hazards; they get banned if the hazards are powerful and difficult to avoid. Spear pillar and 75m were not banned for their hazards, but for the stage structure.
This guy explains it just about perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom