• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are people so into paying for online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
idk, maybe people shouldn't be so gullible otherwise.
I thought you said you wanted to know why people paid for online, not wanting to argue about it. Can ya explain that? And not just an answer such as “Because it’s not good” Why are you complaining about this so much?

D

Deleted member

Really I think it's a matter of SHOULD there even be paid online in the first place. Rather than why do people buy it. As it's obvious that many people don't really mind getting ripped off.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
E8A438F4-6134-4F78-8151-F572E3F65C58.jpeg

Okay, I've had enough of this nonsense. The whole thing has clearly devolved into argumentum ad nauseam. To elaborate, Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 has run out of ways to support his viewpoints, so he is resorting to just repeating his opinion over and over again in the hopes of driving away everyone who disagrees with him. He is not interested in a proper debate; he is trying to create an echo chamber where he is the undisputed king, because he cannot face the truth. The truth is that he is a stubborn idiot whose fragile, tiny mind is unwilling or unable to comprehend that his own opinion is not all-important and that other people have the right to disagree with him. This makes his opinion less than worthless. Move along, nothing more to see here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 168488

Okay, I've had enough of this nonsense. The whole thing has clearly devolved into argumentum ad nauseam. To elaborate, Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 has run out of ways to support his viewpoints, so he is resorting to just repeating his opinion over and over again in the hopes of driving away everyone who disagrees with him. He is not interested in a proper debate; he is trying to create an echo chamber where he is the undisputed king, because he cannot face the truth. The truth is that he is a stubborn idiot whose fragile, tiny mind is unwilling or unable to comprehend that his own opinion is not all-important and that other people have the right to disagree with him. This makes his opinion less than worthless. Move along, nothing more to see here.
So what's do you think justifies Nintendo's online service in its current state? Because I'm not seeing much of anything to actually justify it. Right now your arguments are just relying on personal attacks on how the other person is stupid, but that doesn't really say anything on why the paid service is justified.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So what's do you think justifies Nintendo's online service in its current state? Because I'm not seeing much of anything to actually justify it. Right now your arguments are just relying on personal attacks on how the other person is stupid, but that doesn't really say anything on why the paid service is justified.
Look through the previous pages of the thread. Others have argued in favor of Nintendo's services, but Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 is just sticking his fingers in his ears and ignoring everything they say. He doesn’t have to be convinced, but he can at least acknowledge that others have their own opinions. It's not Crazy Hand 2001's opinion I take umbrage with, it's his insistence that everybody else has to agree with him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Look through the previous pages of the thread. Others have argued in favor of Nintendo's services, but Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 is just sticking his fingers in his ears and ignoring everything they say. He doesn’t have to be convinced, but he can at least acknowledge that others have their own opinions. It's not Crazy Hand 2001's opinion I take umbrage with, it's his insistence that everybody else has to agree with him.
I've read through the pages. I haven't seen any solid reasoning yet, just that it's acceptable because it is or that a multimillion dollar company desperately needs the money to run online they've already been able to run just fine for some reason. I mean if they accept it, then that's fine, but I still haven't seen any solid reasoning as to why Nintendo should do this.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I just hope this game has good online netcode like other fighters, I don't care how unrealistic it sounds with Nintendo's history of online in games.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I thought you said you wanted to know why people paid for online, not wanting to argue about it. Can ya explain that? And not just an answer such as “Because it’s not good” Why are you complaining about this so much?
I usually wouldn't mind people paying for services, but this "service" doesn't cost anything so all Nintendo is doing is making you give them free money. So I want to question everyone why they are willing to let nintendo scam them.

I wouldn't say I'm acting appropriately the way I'm posting, but no one has really given a convincing reason as to why paid online is necessary

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
So if Nintendo were to make you pay $20 a year for offline play and you would pay it, everyone else should just deal with your decision?

I'm contuning this because there's no reason for anyone to be paying for online.
again an awful comparison, they do charge to pay offline it's the 60 bucks you pay to get the game the online is not included. nintendo don't owe you anything it's good of them to have it free as long as they did.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I usually wouldn't mind people paying for services, but this "service" doesn't cost anything so all Nintendo is doing is making you give them free money. So I want to question everyone why they are willing to let nintendo scam them.

I wouldn't say I'm acting appropriately the way I'm posting, but no one has really given a convincing reason as to why paid online is necessary
I don’t believe it’s necessary, but I’m fine with it nonetheless.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, if the only way to play online is to pay, then maybe we should pay even when we think it's unfair. Most services would make you pay anyway. Nintendo probably has a reason for going from free online to paid online.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
This is still going on?

Everyone who wants to play online is gonna get it eventually haha.

Enough are going to buy it that Nintendo isn't going to change much.

See you all online!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
no reason other than greed
If they were truly greedy, they would finally catch up to other companies and make a similar online service, along with filling it to the brim with stuff that generally all their fans have shown they like.

Nah, this is just them not thinking it through / doing their own thing, or if they are being greedy, they're not very good at it :troll:

Anyway, I personally don't mind it; NES games I won't have to emulate, special offers which may give nice cosmetic stuff in games, though I can understand others not liking it (I mean, why voice chat through an app and not the Switch itself...?).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I've read through the pages. I haven't seen any solid reasoning yet, just that it's acceptable because it is or that a multimillion dollar company desperately needs the money to run online they've already been able to run just fine for some reason. I mean if they accept it, then that's fine, but I still haven't seen any solid reasoning as to why Nintendo should do this.
Actually, there were plenty of reasonable arguments, some even made by experienced business owners in the previous pages explaining the possible rationale behind the decision to make online a paid service, from the fact that said service will now have actual people running it and getting paid for it, and therefore having to listen to customer feedback in order to improve it; to the basics of goods and services; and to the fact that console manufacturers start selling their product at a loss and the costs that come with providing their own online infrastructure, unlike PC gaming which piggybacks off the customer's self built computer and internet connection.

I'm just paraphrasing of course, but if you choose not to acknowledge what has been said in this thread then that is your problem. And you haven't earned the right claim that no solid reasoning has been provided yet when your sole contribution is essentially "LOL it's obvious some people don't mind getting ripped off" without elaborating on your case nor addressing any of the aforementioned arguments and trying to debunk them.

Like I mentioned above, plenty of good reasons were given. If you want to exercise selective reading, then that's not our fault. And how do you know running an online service doesn't cost anything, hm?

How come the loudest people who complain about this and disregard opposing arguments without any substantial rebuttals tend to be the youngest ones and thus less likely to know what it is to earn an income or owning business?
Could it be that they are so used to have their parents take care of the goods and services from everyday like water, electricity and internet that they take that stuff for granted without even thinking twice about the costs that go into it? Could it be that they are so sheltered and maybe spoiled that they demand a service should be free without even looking at the cost of managing it? I guess we'll never know.

D

Deleted member

Actually, there were plenty of reasonable arguments, some even made by experienced business owners in the previous pages explaining the possible rationale behind the decision to make online a paid service, from the fact that said service will now have actual people running it and getting paid for it, and therefore having to listen to customer feedback in order to improve it; to the basics of goods and services; and to the fact that console manufacturers start selling their product at a loss and the costs that come with providing their own online infrastructure, unlike PC gaming which piggybacks off the customer's self built computer and internet connection.

I'm just paraphrasing of course, but if you choose not to acknowledge what has been said in this thread then that is your problem. And you haven't earned the right claim that no solid reasoning has been provided yet when your sole contribution is essentially "LOL it's obvious some people don't mind getting ripped off" without elaborating on your case nor addressing any of the aforementioned arguments and trying to debunk them.
Those are reasons why Nintendo needs extra money. Not why the service is justified, actually tell me what's so great about the service itself that I need to pay for it, doesn't really matter how much effort you put into the product if the product still isn't good. If the customer is getting ripped off, they're getting ripped off. Why? Because the service itself has so little to offer.

I mean, okay, of course can be pretty subjective, so to some, dedicated Nintendo fans especially, the online is worth it.

But it's also pretty easy to see why it'd come off as a ripoff, as the switch as of now only has a handful of online multiplayer games, most of them of them being on other consoles. It's not like I ever minded paying for online for online for Sony and Microsoft, both at the same time even. Why? Because their were many, many games that justified the price tag. While the Switch's online service offers minimal service as of now. If that changes and they have great deals, I'll eat my heart out. But as of someone who has Nintendo online as of right now, yeah, so far not really justified.

To me it's like the Pokebank in gen 6 and onward. Yeah, sure, financially it won't cost you much at all, but did it really need a price tag? Is it really even that costly to manage? Especially since the big reasons for paying for online(Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon) are all huge money printers anyway. So if anything, it just comes off as them trying to make a quick buck, which to be fair, totally not uncommon.

How come the loudest people who complain about this and disregard opposing arguments without any substantial rebuttals tend to be the youngest ones and thus less likely to know what it is to earn an income or owning business?
Could it be that they are so used to have their parents take care of the goods and services from everyday like water, electricity and internet that they take that stuff for granted without even thinking twice about the costs that go into it? Could it be that they are so sheltered and maybe spoiled that they demand a service should be free without even looking at the cost of managing it? I guess we'll never know.
As if Nintendo's a struggling adult and not a multimillion dollar corporation that's often bad at making good deals. I mean sure, the rip off is cheap and mind you I'll still pay for it. But for me it's like when a fast food joint forgets to put ketchup on your burger. It's a ripoff, but I'm not THAT upset about it.

In fact, maybe you guys should stop talking down to anyone who dares talk bad about Nintendo. Who for some reason is often excused for the same criticism that other big companies get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Those are reasons why Nintendo needs extra money. Not why the service is justified, actually tell me what's so great about the service itself that I need to pay for it, doesn't really matter how much effort you put into the product if the product still isn't good. If the customer is getting ripped off, they're getting ripped off. Why? Because the service itself has so little to offer.

I mean, okay, of course can be pretty subjective, so to some, dedicated Nintendo fans especially, the online is worth it.

But it's also pretty easy to see why it'd come off as a ripoff, as the switch as of now only has a handful of online multiplayer games, most of them of them being on other consoles. It's not like I ever minded paying for online for online for Sony and Microsoft, both at the same time even. Why? Because their were many, many games that justified the price tag. While the Switch's online service offers minimal service as of now. If that changes and they have great deals, I'll eat my heart out. But as of someone who has Nintendo online as of right now, yeah, so far not really justified.

To me it's like the Pokebank in gen 6 and onward. Yeah, sure, financially it won't cost you much at all, but did it really need a price tag? Is it really even that costly to manage? Especially since the big reasons for paying for online(Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon) are all huge money printers anyway. So if anything, it just comes off as them trying to make a quick buck, which to be fair, totally not uncommon.
You have a very inaccurate concept of what being ripped off means. It's true, the service has very little to offer right now, and that is something that we were discussing in this thread from the start, but $20 is considered a reasonable price as of now for the basic online functionality. By having customers paying for that, Nintendo will eventually have to implement measures to make their service worthwhile. That money isn't going to a safe where no one can touch it but to the employees who will be managing the online. They are being transparent on what you are getting if you decide to subscribe, so at no point they are ripping off clients. Anyone who pays for it knows exactly what they are getting into.

Refer to posts from previous pages for more on this, because I'm not as capable nor willing to delve into the subject, as there is very little left for me to say that has not been said better by other users.

Also, don't forget about Pokken DX, DB Fighterz, Super Mario Party, ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, BlazBlue, the Capcom Beat em ups, Street Fighter II, SNK Heroines, Fifa, NBA, Super Bomberman R, Daemon X Machina, Team Sonic Racing, Minecraft, Warframe, etc. as well. Yeah, I know some are multi-platforms that are available on other consoles, so what? If you chose to buy them on a Nintendo platform you want to be able to be able to experience their online functionality. These are a substantial amount of games that make use of the online functionality, and most people only play a handful for a period of time anyways rather than all at once. Some may play Splatoon 2 exclusively, while others will focus entirely on Ultimate when it comes out. I doubt that is any different for a PSN or Xbox owner, and their service is actually $40 more expensive.

As if Nintendo's a struggling adult and not a multimillion dollar corporation that's often bad at making good deals. I mean sure, the rip off is cheap and mind you I'll still pay for it. But for me it's like when a fast food joint forgets to put ketchup on your burger. It's a ripoff, but I'm not THAT upset about it.

In fact, maybe you guys should stop talking down to anyone who dares talk bad about Nintendo. Who for some reason is often excused for the same criticism that other big companies get.
Bad analogy is bad. Unless we live in some alternate continuity where ketchup becomes increasingly more difficult to manufacture, that hardly compares with managing online infrastructure.

And most people here have been objective while providing constructive criticism for Nintendo's service. Where do you get here that everyone is mindlessly running at their defense and excusing their faults? I'm more convinced that you haven't read anything in the previous pages which is why you are jumping to this conclusion. Just because our reactions aren't that of knee jerk outraged it doesn't mean that we blindly praise everything Nintendo does.

Some here have talked down TC because he was being constantly relying on flimsy logic, bad analogies and false equivalencies without any thought or substance to downplay every well written response that he has gotten so far. If you try to rely on bad arguments for an extended period of time, people are going to point that out and often make fun of it, rightfully so, and they aren't always going to be nice about it especially when you insist of straw manning. He probably created this topic expecting an echo chamber to his opinions, but it backfired. But he still believes that he is right and we are all wrong because he says so. On top of that, you unironically like his posts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have a very inaccurate concept of what being ripped off means. It's true, the service has very little to offer right now, and that is something that we were discussing in this thread from the start, but $20 is considered a reasonable price as of now for the basic online functionality. By having customers paying for that, Nintendo will eventually have to implement measures to make their service worthwhile. That money isn't going to a safe where no one can touch it but to the employees who will be managing the online. They are being transparent on what you are getting if you decide to subscribe, so at no point they are ripping off clients. Anyone who pays for it knows exactly what they are getting into.

Refer to posts from previous pages for more on this, because I'm not as capable nor willing to delve into the subject, as there is very little left for me to say that has not been said better by other users.

Also, don't forget about Pokken DX, DB Fighterz, Super Mario Party, ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, BlazBlue, the Capcom Beat em ups, Street Fighter II, SNK Heroines, Fifa, NBA, Super Bomberman R, Daemon X Machina, Team Sonic Racing, Minecraft, Warframe, etc. as well. Yeah, I know some are multi-platforms that are available on other consoles, so what? If you chose to buy them on a Nintendo platform you want to be able to be able to experience their online functionality. These are a substantial amount of games that make use of the online functionality, and most people only play a handful for a period of time anyways rather than all at once. Some may play Splatoon 2 exclusively, while others will focus entirely on Ultimate when it comes out. I doubt that is any different for a PSN or Xbox owner, and their service is actually $40 more expensive.
Alright, that's fair enough on the term rip off, it's a bit strong of a word and as I said value is clearly subjective. Any evidence that Nintendo is doing this though or, like, has to? Since I don't think it's out of their budget to put a little more content in their online service.

And I still hold onto what I said about it lacking many online multiplayer games, certainly to the extant that PS4 and X-Box have to clarify further. I already clarified that if you only have a switch then yeah, of course you're going to buy it and I agree that it's worth it in that case. But if you have more than a switch, like I do, then that number drastically dwindles down. So yeah, it's subjective and I was wrong to call it a rip off. When speaking for everyone else anyway. I'm not going to have any use for it though for the most part yet I'll have to keep the subscription going just in case someone wants to play smash or something.
Bad analogy is bad. Unless we live in some alternate continuity where ketchup becomes increasingly more difficult to manufacture, that hardly compares with managing online infrastructure.

And most people here have been objective while providing constructive criticism for Nintendo's service. Where do you get here that everyone is mindlessly running at their defense and excusing their faults? I'm more convinced that you haven't read anything in the previous pages which is why you are jumping to this conclusion. Just because our reactions aren't that of knee jerk outraged it doesn't mean that we blindly praise everything Nintendo does.

Some here have talked down TC because he was being constantly relying on flimsy logic, bad analogies and false equivalencies without any thought or substance to downplay every well written response that he has gotten so far. If you try to rely on bad arguments for an extended period of time, people are going to point that out and often make fun of it, rightfully so, and they aren't always going to be nice about it especially when you insist of straw manning. He probably created this topic expecting an echo chamber to his opinions, but it backfired. But he still believes that he is right and we are all wrong because he says so. On top of that, you unironically like his posts.
You're taking my analogy the wrong way. The analogy is about how I don't mind the paid service all too much. Otherwise why would I support it as a consumer? Though I do think that the online service is lackluster so far. Not that the online supply is literally like ketchup.

I don't know why you should care about me liking a few of his posts. To me you're just proving my own point that you guys are just going for personal attacks rather than trying to terms with him. Perhaps settle down a bit with the banter and we could come to a better understanding. You can't tell me you haven't already tried that when I see that you guys are constantly being antagonistic towards him. And perhaps vice versa, since I might have overlooked some of his posts, I already know I don't agree with most of them.

I mean hell, I admit I just skim through the pages, but when I see people being actively antagonistic such as yourself, I tend to not read those. Only reason why I'm even read your posts right now is because your posts are directed at me. And you've helped to reconsider my opinion, but I think we should chill. Sorry if I caused any stress.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Maybe if those of you who "will never get Switch online" started a petition you could make Nintendo not want money?

D

Deleted member

Man, I thought this thread was an old meme by now..

no reason other than greed
So basically, being able to play Old NES games for free, getting online play for a year for over 20 titles, potentially more, and paying only 20 $ a year is greed to you?

Lol... this made my morning. Idek why people as still responding to this thread, spear your fingers lads and save them for elsewhere.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
And here someone is trying to revive this pointless thread.

Again.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Man, I thought this thread was an old meme by now..

So basically, being able to play Old NES games for free, getting online play for a year for over 20 titles, potentially more, and paying only 20 $ a year is greed to you?

Lol... this made my morning. Idek why people as still responding to this thread, spear your fingers lads and save them for elsewhere.
Pretty much everything you just said. Well, see ya now.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Gotdamn I thought this **** was over and done with cuz this is getting nowhere...

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014

Well I certainly acknowledge everything you're saying but online doesn't cost anything for Nintendo to operate and it's clear that peer to peer is used as the servers. So therefore Nintendo doesn't need to hire anyone to operate the servers and don't need to spend money on their own servers. I there were dedicated servers, you'd think Nintendo would make the online better but all they're doing is pocketing the money, and for them to limit super mario party to 10 minigames online at a time really strongly indicates that Nintendo doesn't care about their fans and is only interested in doing what they want. For Sony and Microsoft to pocket their money instead of doing anything with it is a strong indication that Nintendo is doing the same. Therefore, it seems fair to assume "LOL it's obvious some people don't mind getting ripped off because there is a ticking time bomb that will kill them if they don't play online with their friends."

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Well I certainly acknowledge everything you're saying but online doesn't cost anything for Nintendo to operate and it's clear that peer to peer is used as the servers. So therefore Nintendo doesn't need to hire anyone to operate the servers and don't need to spend money on their own servers. I there were dedicated servers, you'd think Nintendo would make the online better but all they're doing is pocketing the money, and for them to limit super mario party to 10 minigames online at a time really strongly indicates that Nintendo doesn't care about their fans and is only interested in doing what they want. For Sony and Microsoft to pocket their money instead of doing anything with it is a strong indication that Nintendo is doing the same. Therefore, it seems fair to assume "LOL it's obvious some people don't mind getting ripped off because there is a ticking time bomb that will kill them if they don't play online with their friends."
no one is getting ripped off, the terms are known before they are agreed on by purchasing online. Being ripped off means to be tricked into getting it by not receiving what was promised and getting something else instead.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You know running a server isn't free, right? Think about it like internet at your home. You have to pay for it to keep the servers running. And even if it was free. I wouldn't be mad. I'm spending a cheap 20 bucks a year to help a company i like make more content, and their giving me online, free NES games, and more.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Question then: How do we know that managing online infrastructure doesn't cost anything?
How do we know that they are just going to hoard the money?

It's my understanding that Xbox Live and PSN costing the way they do it's what makes their connection consistently better than Nintendo's and provide more features as well.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
You know running a server isn't free, right? Think about it like internet at your home. You have to pay for it to keep the servers running. And even if it was free. I wouldn't be mad. I'm spending a cheap 20 bucks a year to help a company i like make more content, and their giving me online, free NES games, and more.
except it's peer to peer, there are no servers. The only servers are for matchmaking which are easily paid for using the cost of the game.

Also you mean you like giving companies free money for them to pocket.

Question then: How do we know that managing online infrastructure doesn't cost anything?
How do we know that they are just going to hoard the money?

It's my understanding that Xbox Live and PSN costing the way they do it's what makes their connection consistently better than Nintendo's and provide more features as well.
Because there is nothing for them to improve since it's peer to peer servers? And what improvements have XBox and PSN given that are actually related to online play and not free games?

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
except it's peer to peer, there are no servers. The only servers are for matchmaking which are easily paid for using the cost of the game.

Also you mean you like giving companies free money for them to pocket.

Because there is nothing for them to improve since it's peer to peer servers? And what improvements have XBox and PSN given that are actually related to online play and not free games?
the cost of the game covers the cost of making the game plus reasonable profit, nintendo don't owe you a thing if you want to use there service you pay end of story, it was a gift it was free this long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom