• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are people so into paying for online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
To address NSO specifically first: I haven't had too many problems with P2P, servers would be better but again it doesn't affect me. The takedowns of online emulation IS a super sucky thing, but at the same time if Nintendo provides a platform to play those games easily then why shouldn't they get money for it? It's their property and their creation, creators deserve to profit from their creations. I feel like online emulation is great if the wanted games are hard to find or crazy expensive, but if NSO expands with more and more old games Nintendo does legally have the write to keep those games to themselves. Again I agree that Nintendo does voice chat and parties horribly, but since I use outside clients it doesn't affect me. Finally, the "benefits" is definitely a wait-and-see thing that I've chosen to be optimistic about, but if it sucks it sucks.

About paying for online and the second video generally: it's a good video that I do mostly agree with. I firmly stand by that mentality of "options are always better", and admittedly Nintendo has always had a problem doing that. I also support the concept of free basic online and a paid premium with awesome deals and offers, I think that'd be a great way to go. But now for my counterpoint: All these arguments still leave out the human element of running an online service. As of right now I'm of the mindset that if we pay for NSO, that means people are getting paid to manage that service and listen to customers, which in turn means the service will improve with feedback and make the cost worth the quality of support. Shinya Takahashi said as much in an interview with Famitsu: "We decided to charge for the service because we are concerned with customer satisfaction. We’ll be maintaining the online service and providing new services that we haven’t had up until now, and there are costs associated with those." If that doesn't happen, people have every right to complain about wasting money, but right now I feel we should see what paying for the service gets us. If Nintendo does this right, maybe other companies will follow.

I think we all know Nintendo is far from perfect, but if NSO grows the way I think it will it could mean great improved online play, a big library of classic hits, and other cool benefits for a price far more considerate to the consumer than other companies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
My guess is the fact is that it’s affordable being $20 rather than $60 per year and that it offers classic games with the subscription is what I think.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Let's take this thread in a different direction...

Everyone agrees that free is good. Some people don't mind paying, some people do. But let's say Nintendo set up two methods of online play:

1. Free online play, P2P, maybe/maybe not voice chat
2. Paid "Premium/Pro" subscription ($20-30/year for one person)

What would have to be a part of the paid option for you to choose that? Guaranteed dedicated servers? Voice chat? Virtual Console/expanding Netflix-style classic gaming? Special in-game options/customization? Offers/deals?

D

Deleted member

Honestly, OP, if you don't like the service, just don't pay for it. There is no reason to make a big deal about something like this. And the point is Nintendo is asking twenty dollars a year for online. That isn't much to ask for?

I personally havent had any issues with my NES games included in online. They all have worked great and im glad im able to play and enjoy these games on my switch on the go.

I think that you are complaining a bit to much about something that isn't even worth complaining about. Seriously we have more things to worry about. Like Bayo's nerfs or who the last two characters will be. Just close the thread and be done already...

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, OP, if you don't like the service, just don't pay for it. There is no reason to make a big deal about something like this. And the point is Nintendo is asking twenty dollars a year for online. That isn't much to ask for?

I personally havent had any issues with my NES games included in online. They all have worked great and im glad im able to play and enjoy these games on my switch on the go.

I think that you are complaining a bit to much about something that isn't even worth complaining about. Seriously we have more things to worry about. Like Bayo's nerfs or who the last two characters will be. Just close the thread and be done already...
There being worse things and that we shouldn't talk about other things means we can't ever talk about anything because there'll always be something worse and we can only discuss one bad thing for so long.

Lord, help me...
that's not how a discussion grows and everything you've said is just an attempt to deflect rather than address any of his points.

D

Deleted member

There being worse things and that we shouldn't talk about other things means we can't ever talk about anything because there'll always be something worse and we can only discuss one bad thing for so long.

Lord, help me...
that's not how a discussion grows and everything you've said is just an attempt to deflect rather than address any of his points.
Im just seeing alot of entitlement from this post. And not understanding that things will not always be free. So I figured, if people dont like paying for things, then just don't pay you know?

It also seems everyone above has addressed his points so I just thought Id just state in conclusion the fact he doesn't need to pay, period.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I think if their Netflix style pool of games eventually grew to have at least 100-200 games AND it covered at least SNES and N64, ideally Gamecube games, then I would buy into it even for 50 bucks a year. As it is, I've purchased Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time, and a bunch of other classic games at least 3+ times across different iterations of the Virtual Console and I'm just sick of it at this point. It's scummy for Nintendo to keep peddling Balloon Fight like it's some revolutionary game that people are demanding alongside all of these other tired old NES games we've seen a thousand times. Don't get me wrong, the games are fun, but anyone who hasn't bought into them by now or just pirated them is probably not going to care.

So I couldn't care less about their current lineup, I hardly ever play online as it is, and I'm pretty opposed to having online hidden behind a paywall anyway. This service gets a hard pass from me. Even PS+, which has infinitely better functionality and bonuses, is something I stopped using after a year because I realized I never used the online and I wasn't finishing most of the free games. It's not like we're short on good, cheap games to play these days. If Nintendo wants to "compete for my time" like Reggie says, they have to step it up with these silly online offerings. At least they have the good grace to "only" charge 20 bucks.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Im just seeing alot of entitlement from this post. And not understanding that things will not always be free. So I figured, if people dont like paying for things, then just don't pay you know?

It also seems everyone above has addressed his points so I just thought Id just state in conclusion the fact he doesn't need to pay, period.
And besides, trying to argue with someone like that is annoying

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Lord, help me...
It's one comment you seem to be talking about. Have you seen what the OP has been doing (or not doing) the entire time? Ignoring well constructed posts so he doesn't have to rebuttal them. He certainly doesn't want it to grow into a conversation.

This thread means nothing if the OP is unwilling to have a well constructed debate about it. Unless the OP suddenly decides to come out of hiding and actually discuss the matter at hand, we should "just close the thread and be done already".

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 Ok, at this point your just trying to cause an argument. You said you wanted to know why. And when we told you you just didn’t want to take that as an answer as TheTrueBrawler said, let’s just close this thread already.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
@^sudoZELDA^
TheTrueBrawler TheTrueBrawler
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah!

Made a remark about this two days ago, but at least people are finally seeing it now.
The OP of the three threads essentially about the same topic clearly is not interested in conversation. It is obvious because he is actively ignoring rebuttals. Sure, he has a few arguments up his sleeve, but as soon as anyone makes a counter argument to something he said, he doesn't even acknowledge it.

Exhibit A - This comment, the first rebuttal since the thread was necroed, has yet to receive a reply from the OP.
Exhibit B - The content that was in this comment when I originally posted it ten hours ago has yet to be acknowledged either.
Exhibit C - The OP has created three threads essentially on the same topic to dodge strong counter arguments.

He clearly isn't ghosting the thread as he took the time to make the exact same argument about something Nate VO said. All he is doing is proceeding to utilize the same few arguments over and over again which have been disproved each time. To a certain extend, it feels like he is copying and pasting one of his previous comments and slightly tweaking it to make it look new. I think we all should stop trying to talk to a brick wall. I know I'm done.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Why are people so into crying about an online service that is $20/year?

I think that's the more important question.

Everyone who claims they won't get it because it's not up to their standards (It's Nintendo, if you expected better that's your own fault) is going to shut up and get it eventually.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
It's less of "will" and more of "how" and "when." We know Nintendo has a weird weakness of implementing decent online services for their hardware/software and clearly it may not be perfected with this system. And quite honestly, they might not need to improve it substantially anyways, but it would help the system's longevity and legacy.
well nintendo recently made super mario party online by only allowing 10 minigames. I bet every game from now on will have limitations like this

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
That's a pretty big strawman you're pulling there. I don't think you can base the quality of one, decent party game to future Nintendo titles that greatly differ from it. At this rate, I'm just going to stop posting here. Please don't quote me again if you're going to say something silly like this.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
well nintendo recently made super mario party online by only allowing 10 minigames. I bet every game from now on will have limitations like this
That quote you responded to from page three, and you didn't even acknowledge anything between.

Congratulations on besting yourself for record holder of the epitome of argument evasion.

Last edited:

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Into it meh, but I play online a lot so I will pay to continue that and the other perks are bonus. It is not like they didn't warn us from the beginning this was coming.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
That's a pretty big strawman you're pulling there. I don't think you can base the quality of one, decent party game to future Nintendo titles that greatly differ from it. At this rate, I'm just going to stop posting here. Please don't quote me again if you're going to say something silly like this.
well you never know, Nintendo has been known to not acknowledge stupid decisions like this. They just want you to subscribe.

Also there are no rebuttals to paid online in the first place. So by saying you want to pay for online, you are supporting Nintendo for being anti consumer.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 So, you seemed to want to know why people pay for online, and we told you, why can’t you take it for an answer? And don’t just ignore this comment.
He ignores everything that he can't make a counter argument against. I would make an argument against what he said recently about how all of our rebuttals are not even rebuttals and how anyone opposing him is "Anti-Consumer", whatever his definition of that may be, but he will ignore that too justifying his remarks by saying I am "Anti-Consumer", and by claiming what I said isn't even be a rebuttal to his previous comment.

It's just not worth making the argument. It will never reach out to him as anything valid.

I have noticed a trend though, and I would like to share it with the people who will actually see this as anything higher than invalid. Any time the thread goes long periods of time without being commented on, he jumps in and replies to some random comment in the thread to keep it on the first page where it is more likely to be seen and responded to by someone not on often enough to know this thread. He has waited almost 12 hours to revive it one time. This holds true for most of his comments since people began to point this out. If we want it gone, all we have to do is stop responding, and I am pushing this as the new trend for this thread.

Lets make his next attempted revival of this thread the last comment on it period.

And, nobody read it. Great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, honestly, the service is a ripoff. You really only need online for a handful of games on the switch. Most of them as stated, are matchmaking based and already had counterparts that worked fine on past Nintendo consoles, sooooo..... I mean, I already play Nintendo games online so scarcely. So I need to pay for online just to play with friends every now and then? Really?

I mean, yeah, it's "only" around 20 dollars a year. That's not that bad. But that's how corporations lure you into deeper and deeper BS TBH.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If I’m gonna pay $20 a year to play games online, then that’s exactly what I’ll do. You don’t have to like it, you just have to accept it.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Again; it's not that people are into paying an online fee in order to use their internet; the console market is just monopolized. Console gamers aren't really well organized and has this loyalty complex as opposed to PC gamers who will call out any anti-consumer practice as well as the PC market not being monopolized.

Only reason why pay 2 play online is even a thing is due to monopolization and Microsoft pioneering fees.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
If I’m gonna pay $20 a year to play games online, then that’s exactly what I’ll do. You don’t have to like it, you just have to accept it.
So if Nintendo were to make you pay $20 a year for offline play and you would pay it, everyone else should just deal with your decision?

I'm contuning this because there's no reason for anyone to be paying for online.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Let's take this thread in a different direction...

Everyone agrees that free is good. Some people don't mind paying, some people do. But let's say Nintendo set up two methods of online play:

1. Free online play, P2P, maybe/maybe not voice chat
2. Paid "Premium/Pro" subscription ($20-30/year for one person)

What would have to be a part of the paid option for you to choose that? Guaranteed dedicated servers? Voice chat? Virtual Console/expanding Netflix-style classic gaming? Special in-game options/customization? Offers/deals?
A Netflix-style Virtual Console that has N64 games and possibly GameCube games would be well worth paying for online even as someone who doesn't really play online now that his friends have moved to the area. I'm hoping that my money will go towards infrastructure and eventual discounts because Lord knows we need those, but if the Big N made the N64 games play as well as they did on the Wii and added GameCube classics as well I'd be sold. Those are hard to emulate and some, like Path of Radiance or even Melee, are hard to get ahold of or are more expensive than I want to pay.

Voice chat isn't a concern for me. I have Discord. I've never used voice in game before because it never works for me.

So yeah, a free p2p option and a paid dedicated server with a huge virtual console library of hard-to-emulate games on the go would be lovely.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So if Nintendo were to make you pay $20 a year for offline play and you would pay it, everyone else should just deal with your decision?
What in the name of non sequiturs is this nonsense?!?

I'm contuning this because there's no reason for anyone to be paying for online.
You clearly are incapable of accepting that the opinions of others are valid. Thus, your opinion is invalid.

This thread can't die soon enough.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
There are reasons. You're just refusing to acknowledge them because you want to push your own agenda.

If you really believe people don't want to pay for online, how about you add a poll to the thread asking if people are fine with paying for online with one option saying "Yes" and the other one saying "No" so we can all vote on it and see how many people are on each side of the argument.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
There are reasons. You're just refusing to acknowledge them because you want to push your own agenda.

If you really believe people don't want to pay for online, how about you add a poll to the thread asking if people are fine with paying for online with one option saying "Yes" and the other one saying "No" so we can all vote on it and see how many people are on each side of the argument.
He won't do that because he believes his opinion is the only one that matters.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Clearly you are incapable of accepting others’ opinions just as Luigifan18 Luigifan18 said.

Therefore I’m not gonna waste my damn time arguing over this ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom