• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I keep playing against the same people?

TheQtoAllAs

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheQtoAllAs
3DS FC
1006-0027-9625
I've been having the same issue since around past weekend so hopefully my matchmaking will return to normal soon.

Thing is, there's nothing offensivve about my Mii, its name or tag. As for taunts, I only do so at the beginning of mirror matches, when getting early / funny kills or if the opponent does the same. I don't think that counts as abuse. If this issue is a ban of sorts, it sucks that we get no warning whatsoever for it.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I always taunt after getting a kill (a habit of mine i developed during my melee days), and never got this ban. (or thing where i only meet the same players). And i play pretty ecsessively.
I don't think taunts are a reason to get punished, except if you're doing nothing else but taunt or something during a match.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if I am in this "ban" too? On the 3DS version of For Glory I played someone this morning that I played against the night before. I wondered if it was just coincidence. Same name, avatar and message on their profile.

Me and a friend have tried to play some games together last night, but she and no one else didn't appear online on my friend's list. My friend's list showed my friend was last online 9 days ago, even though she was currently online according to our chat on Facebook. Am I banned? Or is there something wrong with my 3DS?

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
I have a question for those of you who are recent residents of banland on the Wii U. Initially, when I was sen there I was unable to play teams. Recently I've encountered a few too many laggy/offensive/annoying players, and I was wondering if the rules for banland have changed since I was last there. Are you guys able to play in teams? Thank you in advance.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I am pretty sure it is theoretically possible to play for glory team games, or for fun team games but the problem is that there are just so few people on the server that it doesnt find matches. I left mine on for over 10 mins and never found anyone in either mode, but it did search which implies it is possible.

Even 1v1 for glory games can take a fair few minutes to find an opponent so it is just a case of there being so few people on the server.

I am pretty sure Nintendo are sending people to this banland without checking replays too, since I should never be there having never broken any of the rules but merely play as an annoying character.

I am surprised by the anti-roll and anti-spam feeling on these boards - both of these are perfectly legitimate, acceptable, and sub-optimal behaviours. Those who spam moves and/or rolls dont deserve to be in banland they deserve to be beaten by players who can exploit these mistakes.

Last edited:

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
I am pretty sure it is theoretically possible to play for glory team games, or for fun team games but the problem is that there are just so few people on the server that it doesnt find matches. I left mine on for over 10 mins and never found anyone in either mode, but it did search which implies it is possible.

Even 1v1 for glory games can take a fair few minutes to find an opponent so it is just a case of there being so few people on the server.

I am pretty sure Nintendo are sending people to this banland without checking replays too, since I should never be there having never broken any of the rules but merely play as an annoying character.

I am surprised by the anti-roll and anti-spam feeling on these boards - both of these are perfectly legitimate, acceptable, and sub-optimal behaviours. Those who spam moves and/or rolls dont deserve to be in banland they deserve to be beaten by players who can exploit these mistakes.
Hey! Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure that the banland is a result of specific reports, so spammy/campy players probably get reported not for violating rules, but for annoying people. Just before I was banned I played Wario and used exclusively the bike. It's sad that that can get you banned, because a lot of youtube channels have challenges where they can only use on move or the like. I wish more investigation was done before nintendo decided to kick players, because there are some who deserve to be there, but a lot of the ones I played were japanese players who were just good at the game.

KawKa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kimochi
Same been "banned" for I believe 4-5 days I kept on getting the same people on for glory 1v1. When I went on for glory 2v2 it was deserted and for fun as well. So I came to the conclusion that I was "blacklisted" really didn't surprise me I do use offensive language if provoked. But, yeah I thought it was gonna be a 1-2 day suspension but I came back on today and I was matched up against the same dude that I fought 4-5 days ago.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Hey! Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure that the banland is a result of specific reports, so spammy/campy players probably get reported not for violating rules, but for annoying people. Just before I was banned I played Wario and used exclusively the bike. It's sad that that can get you banned, because a lot of youtube channels have challenges where they can only use on move or the like. I wish more investigation was done before nintendo decided to kick players, because there are some who deserve to be there, but a lot of the ones I played were japanese players who were just good at the game.
There is no investigation. u get reported to often, u will come into the black list. This is how things are done.Sure there a edge lamers and offense names, but most of us were jhust good at the game, and some (this is the very first time i name them this way) noobs didnt like it. U can be average aswell, but met the wrong guys and owned them. totally enough. The players i play now with are a different league, then i came to know from the typical fg games. they aqre really good, wellcome me with a taunt and dont taunt when they make a kO. Normal names, normal mii's.

The report button is abused nowadays. the irony is the ill-use reporters deservere more to be in thius hell, then i do.

The worst thing u dont know where u are and beleave its kind of a glitch untill ub ceck out the world wide web.

I am questioning Nintendo, and the smash moderation team, how many people did u sent innocent to your prisoners server, and where is the evidence written in letters about my wrong behaviors.

And everyone, dont dig to deep about some possible wrong doings of yourself . its just a misfortune, that is all to know about it. we all are spaming projectiles, taunt, lag and lame sometimes.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
The only consolation is that the overall quality of play in banland is a lot higher so it is better practice, albeit against opponents who are mostly annoying to play against or who insult you at the end of every match!

RamenScrub

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4382-2504-7592
I'm in this because my friend changed his name to mine swapped his ds with mine and and then changed mine at his house how long until I'm unbanned

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I don't think I've ever been sent there. The way I see people describe it, it appears that all the players there are complete jerks, but the majority of players I face are quiet or just change their tag to GG.

Honestly, I don't think being able to win consistently or having an annoying playstyle has that much of an effect on whether it not you get sent there. The way I play Palutena, I am more than willing to exploit anything to get a win. Even though it is nowhere near as extreme as the way I just described it, I still use tactics that more inexperienced players may consider "cheap" (such as carrying somebody across the entire stage because they keep airdodging into the ground after down throw).

RamenScrub

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4382-2504-7592
I changed my name back to what it used to be and now I'm unbanned

salaboB

Smash Champion
Yeah, I keep fighting the same people too. It might be because when I run into a spammer player I SD and leave. And uh, you know how common spammers are so that happens a lot.
Just curious -- what's your win % range? (Like are you relatively high in the 60's or in the 50-60ish?)

You don't have to share if you're not comfortable doing so, I'm just working on a theory I have and need more info...

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Just curious -- what's your win % range? (Like are you relatively high in the 60's or in the 50-60ish?)

You don't have to share if you're not comfortable doing so, I'm just working on a theory I have and need more info...
I have a 47% win rate. But, I feel like I have it so low is because i'm holding back(not shielding when I know I should).

salaboB

Smash Champion
I have a 47% win rate. But, I feel like I have it so low is because i'm holding back(not shielding when I know I should).
SD'ing against spammers would also be lowering it.

The thing I find is that I face very few spammers in FG these days -- but whenever I did face one, I played my best to make sure I won.

My suspicion is there's a hidden rating in FG, not based on win rate, and if you SD to spammers it keeps you right around their rating level (Since then they "win") -- so keeps matching you against them.

But, I have little evidence for that theory :(

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
SD'ing against spammers would also be lowering it.

The thing I find is that I face very few spammers in FG these days -- but whenever I did face one, I played my best to make sure I won.

My suspicion is there's a hidden rating in FG, not based on win rate, and if you SD to spammers it keeps you right around their rating level (Since then they "win") -- so keeps matching you against them.

But, I have little evidence for that theory :(
I mostly try to win against spammers, but when I keep getting spammers I start to SD.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Ok, so apparently I'm in smash limbo again.
After the last time I've been very careful to avoid ANY kind of bad attitude, and I mean no taunting (just sometime when I won on 2vs2), no gametag change (not even to say Lol or Good Game!), no SD, nothing.
And yet I'm "banned" again...at this point I'm pretty sure this is a bug, unless I got banned for winning too much. I even main Roy, is not like I can get banned by spamming attacks...

fehector

Smash Cadet
I don't think I've ever been sent there. The way I see people describe it, it appears that all the players there are complete jerks, but the majority of players I face are quiet or just change their tag to GG.

Honestly, I don't think being able to win consistently or having an annoying playstyle has that much of an effect on whether it not you get sent there. The way I play Palutena, I am more than willing to exploit anything to get a win. Even though it is nowhere near as extreme as the way I just described it, I still use tactics that more inexperienced players may consider "cheap" (such as carrying somebody across the entire stage because they keep airdodging into the ground after down throw).
First off, thats a lie. i never changed my name tag or had a foul name or foul items. no jerk, i would NEVER do that. Just one easy question. If someone reports u, do you beleave he did that because he is rightous or because.....salty, angry, raging......haha like serious we all know the answer to this question. They are abusing and ur paletuna style u call lame is worhy a bit anger and thats that. there is anyway no garantee u will be reportet, its just up to the players u met.

And i played alot with the hell guys. Over 80 % have neither faul names or playstyles , they dont even spam. They are just freaking good, and i met the best meta knight, the best cpt. falcon, the best dr. mario there and we talk about a small filled server of people.

U dont understand the danger of the situation. it can happen to everyone and he will suffer, because u cant play ur beloved game online, only vs superior guys and a small amount of games because u hardly find anyone. i am already 10 days here...10 days because i win over 85 % games with duck hunt. that is all i have ever done.

sorry boo, but that isnt a bug. Sakurai said, before the game was released in his direct, people who foul in some ways, will be banned from playing with others. He never said how this is going to hapen. This is it. On one way its "nice" foul players can continue on the other way the system fails at taking the badies. It serves most of the noobs and their salty attitude well.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
sorry boo, but that isnt a bug. Sakurai said, before the game was released in his direct, people who foul in some ways, will be banned from playing with others. He never said how this is going to hapen. This is it. On one way its "nice" foul players can continue on the other way the system fails at taking the badies. It serves most of the noobs and their salty attitude well.
So, what I'm supposed to do? Lose on purpose so the whiny kids don't report me? Also, if this is true, what's actually stops me to act like that and report every player I met?

From what I understand, I didn't get banned because playing like a spammer or the gametags use to insult people. So, since I got banned TWICE, should I just enjoy the fun and start to report like crazy while insulting everyone?

In the normal rooms in the last days I've met several players who literally spammed ONE move the entire match (and of course get their a** kicked), campers, people who joined 2vs2 just to teabag at the side of the map while the teammate got destroyed, and many players with offensive gamertag (mainly about racism), and YET I'm the one banned. Again.

I mean, really, if this is true and is an actual ban and not a bug like it seems to be, is there even a point to >not< act like that, especially since I get already banned twice?

I just don't get it.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Me neither completly. But ur story could possibly mean that the black list holds on after u were in the hell. So every time u need less reports then beforee. That would be aweful.
From what I understand, I didn't get banned because playing like a spammer or the gametags use to insult people. So, since I got banned TWICE, should I just enjoy the fun and start to report like crazy while insulting everyone?
Sounds fun, but i dont want to be like them. the thing is Nintendo has no way the time to detect every abuser. So in all of this mess they are the most safe. i think about selling the game. same as u i didnt any harm and already 10 days. thats a joke.

Also, if this is true, what's actually stops me to act like that and report every player I met?
Thats the main question. and the answer is sadly no one. its the perfect lopehole the noobs have to their advantage.
i respect everyone who finishes me, why shouldnt i.

we are the living proof, that there is no investigation only the report counter matters.

Last edited:

Shelton_Xeno

Smash Rookie
NNID
SheltonSSBFAN221
3DS FC
0919-9705-3226
Anyone, can you all help me out?
I have been in this for 4 weeks and I never knew that this happened to me till yesterday..

fehector

Smash Cadet
Anyone, can you all help me out?
I have been in this for 4 weeks and I never knew that this happened to me till yesterday..
what the.... 4 weeks for real? Okay i am done with this game.

And the answer: its different, some have it a week, i have it 10 days now. u have probably a perma-ban (lol:wario:), who knows. It isnt like Nintendo delivers any kind of Information as far as we know, only description for time bans by quitting games excists.

fehector

Smash Cadet
We need some kind of petition or a public mail to Nintendo. This is a big and unfair issue.

Last edited:

Shelton_Xeno

Smash Rookie
NNID
SheltonSSBFAN221
3DS FC
0919-9705-3226
what the.... 4 weeks for real? Okay i am done with this game.

And the answer: its different, some have it a week, i have it 10 days now. u have probably a perma-ban (lol:wario:), who knows. It isnt like Nintendo delivers any kind of Information as far as we know, only description for time bans by quitting games excists.
Yeah, but I never knew I was in this and all and ever since someone told me about it.
But I talked to Nintendo and they said that I wasn't banned at all.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Technically u were just teleported to another server.

with some imagination we are chosen and play vs other chosen players. Anyway Nintendo stated that, so they dont have to use this mean definition. to be honest this isnt what u tell a paying customer or the people u talked with have no clue about this, and never touched it, dont know it excists.

evenm if u dont call it ban, u were reported more often then the average players. This is why the system thinks u belong here. i Met some offstage edge campers and they are really good in their stuff, and people with bad names. the others are just damn damn good. Combine it and u get ur answer, why they are here. u will always see one of this types...always. The skilled players are the innocent guys. Dunno about you. even if ur spam is good it counts as skilled, if u can make enough people salty.

Shelton_Xeno

Smash Rookie
NNID
SheltonSSBFAN221
3DS FC
0919-9705-3226
I am a good player and that do explains why I'm in this server.
Thank you very much. But I don't get why people would get salty like that, it's just a game. They act like it's real life and I whoop their ass every time we fight, and why do we have a report system? That can be abused by ****ty players.
Also, how do I make a new thread?
Also, I change my name sometimes but not frequently and I don't use vulgar names either.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
There is no infringement for abusing the report button, even if it was stated that it will take part. A dangerous lopehole some might underestimate now. But the more sensitive people learn about it, the more vengaence against the winners of a game will happen. everytime u lose u write a report and so on until.....well until.....until....ohh here it comes....until nothing happens to you.

Well in reallife i run everday and make workout by myself, even there i would own them. so let them act like they have the decisional power over our smash career. only if u put training in your stuff, u will see improvements onme day.
And as someone who wins often, i love to encounter people who 2 stock me. i feel so free afterwards^^

Shelton_Xeno

Smash Rookie
NNID
SheltonSSBFAN221
3DS FC
0919-9705-3226
How do you create a thread here?
I wanna make a fresh thread of this.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Go to the subforum of this thread, u will see a yellow button to your right side "post new thread"

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
evenm if u dont call it ban, u were reported more often then the average players. This is why the system thinks u belong here. i Met some offstage edge campers and they are really good in their stuff, and people with bad names. the others are just damn damn good. Combine it and u get ur answer, why they are here. u will always see one of this types...always. The skilled players are the innocent guys. Dunno about you. even if ur spam is good it counts as skilled, if u can make enough people salty.
Fine, but I'm not so good at this game. I mean, I have a win/loss ration above the average but only because since the game was released I played like 500 1vs1 with Zero Suit Samus, which I think was technically designed to punish projectiles spammers (I got like 50 win streaks with her). Now I'm playing only with Roy, I only win like 4 out of 5, and again not because some insane skills of mine...

Also, I'm home only from wednesday to sunday, and I usually play For Fun or 2vs2 For Glory, this weeked I literally played like 10 1vs1. Considering that I crashed one and only lost another, that means the grand total of report are insanely low to actually ban me...

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
Guys this is entirely fake. The game tells you when your banned and it won't let you go into lobbies or play with friends at all. Kids these days...
Edit: Here's what it looks like

Last edited:

Blublur756

Smash Rookie
So starting tomorrow I will have been in "Smash Hell" for three weeks. THREE. This is so ridiculous, lol.

J_Horodorigesu

Smash Rookie
Hello all. As of today, I've been in Smash Hell for two weeks. I've definitely been taking it easy on taunting, but I've noticed that some are suspicious of "tag-switching" as being a reason to get banned. I alternate between three tags on a regular basis (none are offensive), so does anyone else have evidence to beef up this theory?

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I got out after a week, so if different people are in for different amounts of time then it might mean that different offences warrant different spells in banland or that getting reported while in banland extends your ban.

When you report someone do you give a reason or an explanation or is it just pressing report and thats it? I havent been through the process before. If no reason is ever given then surely it must be the latter, or repeat offenders.

J_Horodorigesu

Smash Rookie
I got out after a week, so if different people are in for different amounts of time then it might mean that different offences warrant different spells in banland or that getting reported while in banland extends your ban.

When you report someone do you give a reason or an explanation or is it just pressing report and thats it? I havent been through the process before. If no reason is ever given then surely it must be the latter, or repeat offenders.
You just press report, there's no option to write any comments. If it's the latter of your theories, then it could potentially be a Catch 22. I can see how a lot of these players would report someone for petty reasons..

J_Horodorigesu

Smash Rookie
New issue: my brother is suspicious that the Smash Hell ban was affecting his Mario Kart online. Coincidence? Or can anybody pop in their copy to check this out?

Top Bottom