• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I keep playing against the same people?

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
Anyone know what causes it already? Since this thread started its been a looong time..HOW IS it possible that Nintendo does not fix this, but can make cloud, roy, ryu and so on...?!

Ive been in this sort of empty server for 2days, played 5hours straight and had 4-6opponants...WTF! Normally I play against 40+ in one hour.

Anyone tried resetting internet modem?

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
If it's any consolation, I'm running into this as well. It just started today, which leads me to believe that it's just some sort of glitch that pops up every now and then. If it's a behavioral thing, then I have no idea what I did to deserve it since I generally try to be as polite as possible.

Update: It's a day after I posted this and the "Smash Hell" idea seems to be pretty valid. I've been playing the same people nonstop and they all are the worst combination of try hard, lag, and douchebaggery. Just about everyone I've played has felt the need to talk trash whether they win or lose and taunt after every KO. Considering that I don't really ever exhibit this kind of behavior, I'm incredibly frustrated that I've been put here. Also, making a new profile made absolutely no difference. Hopefully this passes soon because right now it's taking all the fun out of the game.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Day 3-4, still playing against one guy every hour..this sucks :(
What causes it is people reported you to much. Sadly that's all it is. You're in ban land, only option is too wait it out, make sure to complain directly to Nintendo, everyone needs to complain to Nintendo if you want any changes/fixes to come around.

DarkSoulEater

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1607-3096-9356
Ok so I see this thread was made some time ago and I didnt know about this, but it seems that I just got this problen with the exact issues that everyone has stated.(generally)
-Same players.
-Empy rooms.
-Players are kind of annoying
Im playing on the 3ds version and I was playing in the morning then I stopped and started to play again in the afternoon and had this problem.

Last edited:

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
Ok so I see this thread was made some time ago and I didnt know about this, but it seems that I just got this problen with the exact issues that everyone has stated.(generally)
-Same players.
-Empy rooms.
-Players are kind of annoying
Im playing on the 3ds version and I was playing in the morning then I stopped and started to play again in the afternoon and had this problem.
make a NEW NNID.

THIS WILL solve the problem. I've waited for 1week and it didnt get fixed, I made a new NNNID and voila. My tip to you!

Squirrel25

Smash Rookie
make a NEW NNID.

THIS WILL solve the problem. I've waited for 1week and it didnt get fixed, I made a new NNNID and voila. My tip to you!
I just tried this today after experiencing this "ban" for around 3-4 days and didn't notice anything. Still can't do tourneys, impossible to find doubles matches, and 1v1 takes forever to find opponents. I'm convinced that I just need to wait this out at this point which is very disappointing.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I just tried this today after experiencing this "ban" for around 3-4 days and didn't notice anything. Still can't do tourneys, impossible to find doubles matches, and 1v1 takes forever to find opponents. I'm convinced that I just need to wait this out at this point which is very disappointing.
Wow. So even after ALL THIS TIME, Nintendo hasn't changed this mechanic?
WTF??? Are they serious?

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
Have you tried shutting down your internet for a min or 10, shutting down the wii u also?

I did this(new nnid) and shut it down because i went to get food, next thing i knew i was playing again!

Maybe try it again, doesnt hurt. Also set your NEW NNID to be the DEFAULT NNID to start up with.
When you make a new NNID it doesnt not set this MII as default.

Squirrel25

Smash Rookie
Have you tried shutting down your internet for a min or 10, shutting down the wii u also?

I did this(new nnid) and shut it down because i went to get food, next thing i knew i was playing again!

Maybe try it again, doesnt hurt. Also set your NEW NNID to be the DEFAULT NNID to start up with.
When you make a new NNID it doesnt not set this MII as default.
Tried it again and it still didn't work. Are you sure that your ban didn't coincidentally expire around the same time you set up your new NNID? Have you tried playing online with your old one?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I got banned for the third time!
Christ, this is annoying as hell!!
And it was this guy too.
He was terrible. He was doing alright with Cloud, but after losing three times to my Game and Watch, he switched to Mario. He got rekt. I'm barely at 6% two stocks, he's already lost one. Rage quits, spends forever on Viewing Results screen, suddenly drops, and then everyone either disappeared from online or I keep being connected the same people, including a Lord Ian, whose tag is always F•A•G.

If you see this guy online, leave immediately. All I did was win. No taunts. No insults. I just played the game and he punished me for it.
So just a heads up.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just ending it right now, it's a soft ban.

Ban lasts for a week(8 days)

I advise you NOT to play online in public(for fun and fg) or ban will be prolonged!
Playing with friends online is only acceptable.

The report system, from what I gathered by personal experience, goes by the x amount of reports you get in a y amount of day(s).

Last edited:

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
Hey guys, just ending it right now, it's a soft ban.

Ban lasts for a week(8 days)

I advise you NOT to play online in public(for fun and fg) or ban will be prolonged!
Playing with friends online is only acceptable.

The report system, from what I gathered by personal experience, goes back the x amount of reports you get in a y amount of day(s).
So nothing you say has been confirmed by N?
Not hating just trying to see if anyone here actually has valid information from nintendo....

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Not hating just trying to see if anyone here actually has valid information from nintendo....
I called Nintendo yesterday. They're just as clueless as they were when I called in September when I got banned for the 2nd time.
I wish Nintendo was more official on this. If you get Salt Banned, there should be a notification. Maybe then you'll stop doing what you were doing, like if you're getting reported for being rude online.

And if you haven't done anything, well, at least you know what's going on.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Yes I called them and got to the bottom of this horrid bannning months ago. They're fully aware of it.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
I called Nintendo yesterday. They're just as clueless as they were when I called in September when I got banned for the 2nd time.
I wish Nintendo was more official on this. If you get Salt Banned, there should be a notification. Maybe then you'll stop doing what you were doing, like if you're getting reported for being rude online.

And if you haven't done anything, well, at least you know what's going on.
I haven't been banned at all lately, like for months. Sucks knowing they're still hitting you with the bans.

link2702

Smash Champion
Remember people make a stink to Nintendo about this, it's our best option of getting their broken system fixed, the more you complain to Nintendo the more they will have to take notice.

I'd also say do more things like pollo did, public humiliation of users you know reported you unfairly and sent you to Banland so others know to block them and/or fight fire with fire and report them

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Remember people make a stink to Nintendo about this, it's our best option of getting their broken system fixed, the more you complain to Nintendo the more they will have to take notice.

I'd also say do more things like pollo did, public humiliation of users you know reported you unfairly and sent you to Banland so others know to block them and/or fight fire with fire and report them
Even though I have been unbanned for awhile, I have been reporting tons of players, hoping it would be enough for them to get into the banland.
That way it becomes even more noticeable.

I created a post on miiverse awhile ago, and people still respond to it to this day. References of their banning and asking me questions.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHka7mbi7A

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Even though I have been unbanned for awhile, I have been reporting tons of players, hoping it would be enough for them to get into the banland.
That way it becomes even more noticeable.

I created a post on miiverse awhile ago, and people still respond to it to this day. References of their banning and asking me questions.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHka7mbi7A
It's been 7 months, they stil talk like this doesn't exist, they're not gonna change anything.
Either no one's calling or they just don't care.
All I see is people complain, but I get the feeling no one is calling but a select few.

Btw, what's the longest anyone's been banned for?

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
It's been 7 months, they stil talk like this doesn't exist, they're not gonna change anything.
Either no one's calling or they just don't care.
All I see is people complain, but I get the feeling no one is calling but a select few.

Btw, what's the longest anyone's been banned for?
It's just not enough people are spreading it.

I have been banned for a month and 2 weeks I think. And that was my first ban, lol

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
It's just not enough people are spreading it.

I have been banned for a month and 2 weeks I think. And that was my first ban, lol
I hope I get unbanned tomorrow (I got banned last Wednesday). I played a couple matches without realizing I was banned and I really, reeeally don't wanna be a one-monther.
My past two bans were only a week.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
I hope I get unbanned tomorrow (I got banned last Wednesday). I played a couple matches without realizing I was banned and I really, reeeally don't wanna be a one-monther.
My past two bans were only a week.
The reason I don't get banned is because I extended my library. You need to have something else to invest your time in.
Maybe another game. I have smash both on wii u and 3ds, and only play one version more than the other, then switch it around. Plus School and Work
Thus, allowing me not to get banned.

The report system, from what I gathered by personal experience, goes by the x amount of reports you get in a y amount of day(s).

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Welp, still banned after 8 days. Don't know what went wrong, musta gotten reported while banned when I didn't know I was banned or got reported so many times that my ban is longer.
I don't ******** know and Nintendo doesn't know jack ****.

I called them. Again. And I didn't just explain this time. I ******* ranted. I basically just asked for an official confirmation, to stop patronizing us and pretending they're concerned, because after 7 months, you'd think this would be fixed.
I told them to Google it. I told them that they NEED to see it with their own eyes. There are videos. Forum posts. Reddit posts. There's so much information about this issue online that by simplying doing a bit of research, they could illustrate the issue pretty **** well.
I could summarize the call in two sentence: I don't want immediate assistance. I want you guys to either update this game in the future or at least tell us about it.

Because it's so ******* stupid that you don't even know you're banned. Like, what the ****? Did a kid come up with this system? Bans and punishments are methods of REHABILITATION. Who's gonna fix their attitude if they don't even know they're being punished for X reason.

**** it, I'm beating Xenoblade X. I'm done waiting for Nintendo. I was gonna buy Cloud, but what for? Can't even play online and my friends already own him, so **** you, Nintendo.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Welp, still banned after 8 days. Don't know what went wrong, musta gotten reported while banned when I didn't know I was banned or got reported so many times that my ban is longer.
I don't ******** know and Nintendo doesn't know jack ****.

I called them. Again. And I didn't just explain this time. I ******* ranted. I basically just asked for an official confirmation, to stop patronizing us and pretending they're concerned, because after 7 months, you'd think this would be fixed.
I told them to Google it. I told them that they NEED to see it with their own eyes. There are videos. Forum posts. Reddit posts. There's so much information about this issue online that by simplying doing a bit of research, they could illustrate the issue pretty **** well.
I could summarize the call in two sentence: I don't want immediate assistance. I want you guys to either update this game in the future or at least tell us about it.

Because it's so ******* stupid that you don't even know you're banned. Like, what the ****? Did a kid come up with this system? Bans and punishments are methods of REHABILITATION. Who's gonna fix their attitude if they don't even know they're being punished for X reason.

**** it, I'm beating Xenoblade X. I'm done waiting for Nintendo. I was gonna buy Cloud, but what for? Can't even play online and my friends already own him, so **** you, Nintendo.
Yea, I felt your pain before man.
Maybe tomorrow you may be unbanned.
I'm not sure either they're not too concerned about or they just have trouble communicating with the actual team that controls that sort of thing in Japan. Or could even be that they think the system is justified and stubborn.

Lots of factors. Just hang in there man.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I felt your pain before man.
Maybe tomorrow you may be unbanned.
I'm not sure either they're not too concerned about or they just have trouble communicating with the actual team that controls that sort of thing in Japan. Or could even be that they think the system is justified and stubborn.

Lots of factors. Just hang in there man.
One thing interesting is that ever since this started back in May, I've never ran into Japanese players, whereas before I would be connected to a player from Japan every now and then.
And in the months before this started, whenever I would be connected to a Japanese player, they'd leave the lobby immediately.
One could say "they don't want to deal with lag" but lag has nothing to do with distance. Some of my best matches have been with Canadians and some of my worst have been from my own state.

And what are the odds that every single Japanese player would leave?

They changed something. They've slowly been tinkering with the matchmaking system and I think these tweaks led up to this state of bull****ery.

Last edited:

ibastin1991

Smash Rookie
I thought that was weird, I had been playing online for a few hours too. Well, at least until the major friggin' lag started kicking in every battle.

Morro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-6946-2512
Hello...umm I got Banned for the last 4 Days I always end up in empty rooms or I face the same person no matter what I do...I guess I'm stuck in this "Smash Hell" o.o I only have the 3DS version and play for fun (Since I'm a Beginner) How Long Do I Have To Wait??? O.O

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Hello...umm I got Banned for the last 4 Days I always end up in empty rooms or I face the same person no matter what I do...I guess I'm stuck in this "Smash Hell" o.o I only have the 3DS version and play for fun (Since I'm a Beginner) How Long Do I Have To Wait??? O.O
The ban lasts 1 week IF you don't get reported while banned. Being reported while banned extends the duration of the ban.

The best course of action:
1. Don't play at all
2. Call Nintendo
3. Tell gaming journalist sites about your issue

Morro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-6946-2512
The ban lasts 1 week IF you don't get reported while banned. Being reported while banned extends the duration of the ban.

The best course of action:
1. Don't play at all
2. Call Nintendo
3. Tell gaming journalist sites about your issue

Oh umm ok I guess I'll try maybe I can play MK7 until I'm unbanned can I still play with friends?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Oh umm ok I guess I'll try maybe I can play MK7 until I'm unbanned can I still play with friends?
You can still play with friends.

I even recommend Anther's Ladder. It's a good way to keep playing Smash even while banned

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
I love how mad people get when they lose to jigglypuff. Two stocked a metaknight and they ragequit

Stewart

Smash Rookie
I'm having this problem on Smash 4 3DS and I seriously can't take it, can someone please find a solution because I would really appreciate it like REALLY!! I just wanna return to the real world with my characters and have a better time on the game. I play on For Fun to Idle and For Glory to fight but being stuck in this ''glitch'' makes it impossible. I'm quite know to a few certain people on For Fun because they never play with me anymore but I don't blame them. Anyways, someone find a solution and tell me, I need one soon thanks...

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm having this problem on Smash 4 3DS and I seriously can't take it, can someone please find a solution because I would really appreciate it like REALLY!! I just wanna return to the real world with my characters and have a better time on the game. I play on For Fun to Idle and For Glory to fight but being stuck in this ''glitch'' makes it impossible. I'm quite know to a few certain people on For Fun because they never play with me anymore but I don't blame them. Anyways, someone find a solution and tell me, I need one soon thanks...
This isn't a "glitch " you're in Banland, you were reported to many times. Your only option is to wait it out. Nintendos system doesn't have any way to see WHY you got reported, just that you were. It doesn't matter the reason why, you got reported too much and now have to suffer for at least a week in Banland.

My advice is to take a long break from random and play only against friends.

SmashXtraWithAnyone

Smash Rookie
This is just unacceptable! I was just playing For Fun today and now I just got back into banland! (I sure hope I'm not!) Not too long ago I was banned but after 8 days when I changed my name (It was Ally, I don't see anything offensive about that name) to Shelton with two stars in front of the S and n. And now today after a for fun match I try to find a room only to be put in empty rooms! I called Nintendo and explained about my timed bans of repeatedly targeting players and I try to be a perfect sport (I only got 2 timed bans of that ever since, TWO! I usually get multiple ones a day) at his time when I call Nintendo I'm gonna talk about the report system and how it deals with people being banned for no reason. This time I'm not gonna be Mr. nice guy this is insane. there are innocent players out there who just get banned for no apparent reason and for those out there who think they can just go on a report craze you can go to hell because you are ruining everyone's online experience. Quite frankly I go online on Smash bros every day and I enjoy it but getting those things taken away from me by some salty players who can't learn from their mistakes is just maddening! I'm just done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom