• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why all that makes Brawl different from Melee makes Brawl BETTER than Melee (long)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
EXCEPT TRIPPING, WTF THAT **** IS GAY

So i've spent the last 24 hours playing the **** out of Brawl.
A lot of people are saying it won't be "competitively as good as Melee". But I disagree from what I've played. It's just a different game. its cliche to say by now, but People wanted a Melee part two, they expected lag canceling and wavedashing, they expected dash dancing to work the same, they
expected the same discrepancy in the falling speeds of the characters. Brawl overhauled the whole system, so people are saying it won't be as good as Melee. But I think most of the changes benefit the game. People act like they just took out L-Cancelling, and thats it. No, they took out l-canceling, and completely overhauled the way lag from aerial moves work. A good bit of the attacks on the game has minimal lag such that it looks as if its been L-cancelled. its going to be the discovery of the implementation of these moves that will be at the forefront of the metagame, I think. I think in this game, we will have to think more and choose attacks wiser. You can't lead in with Link's D-air or Ganon's Fair, anymore. Those are supposed to be kill moves reserved for special moments. using our wit and mindgames to pull those strong moves off, I think thats whats going to define a good player.

The movement issue is somewhat of a non factor, people say the game is "slower" than Melee, but that's only if you play the game like Melee. The game is much floatier than Melee, and perhaps that makes the game seem slow, but discovering movement techniques is part of the fun of the developing metagame. its not like you spend half the game helplessly floating, anyway, since the game is so floaty, the aerial game will be a lot deeper, you'll have time to recover from hitstun and counter attack someone trying to finish their combo. So the attacker will have to find a strategy to continue his onslaught while his opponent is airborne, yet still ready to attack. Or the attacker will have to learn his character specific techniques that allow him to perform combos. This chess match is part of why I think the game is deeper. On Melee, you get knocked up, and were pretty much guaranteed at least one free hit after that. That's not "depth". Not putting Melee down, just showing why I think Brawl's system could work better. also, not only are characters floatier, they also move WAYYY quicker in the air. Like everyone can move in the air as fast as Jiggs could on Melee. Jiggs was almost entiely aerial on Melee. And no one complained that Jiggs was "boring" or "non competitive". Movement on the ground, is just about as fast as Melee, the only differences being is that dash dancing is way different in Brawl and there is no wavedashing. Many people think dash dancing is out of the game, but its still in, you just have to be either really really fast with it, or somewhat slow with it. The thing is dash dancing in this way is still somewhat useful with many characters. Thing back to smash 64, you couldnt dash dance so fast on that game with most characters. its about the same speed as that with many characters. And also, doing it fast seems to lead to tripping alot of the time. But people will discover ways to move around the stage, thats part of what it means to learn how to play the game well. There already a bunch of things we can do anyway. Dash pivoting, and Cancelling the dash with shield is probably going to be huge in terms of movement, something relatable to that will probably be the basis of most movement strategies. you can feint a dash and then turn around and immediately forward smash or grab (and probably forward tilt). Shield cancel grabs of course replaced jump canceled grabs. but you can shield cancel ANYTHING. this replaces the method of dash canceling with crouch. And there are plenty of character specific strategies (I think character specific is going to be the theme of Brawl) Diddy can move across the screen with his unpredictable side-b, GaWes has shown examples of how Luigi can manuever the stage and up and down platforms and even edgeguard with his down+B. just for an example, stuff like that. Using our BRAINS to implement these moves are whats going to make the game deep.. Also In Brawl, it seems like the characters are just being made more intuitively. Take Ike for example. He is suuuuuuuper slow. but he's amazingly strong and of course with a sword has great range and priority. As in he has no weak attacks, all of his attacks are KO moves. This is what Bowser was supposed to be in Melee, a slow yet strong character. But they screwed up and gave him ****ty range, less than desirable priority, and no aerial mobility, making him literally useless without l-canceling and other techs. Brawl's version of Bowser has more speed, With increased aerial mobility, and i' haven't played him enough to be sure if they increased his range, but i doubt it, but basically they at least attempted to make the character viable on his own design, and not just cuz we can cancel his lag. and not just a "slow version" of every other character, like Melee. Melee was like every character works the same (with a few weird exceptions like ICs or Peach for example). Nair was a sex kick, or a multi-hit attack. Bair was a back slash/kick/punch/etc., dair was a spike/dril/downkick. et cetera. it was all the same. Brawl's just mixed it up more, just a little bit, not too much. the characters are more unique, especially the new characters.

Its basically going to be race of who can adapt the best in a match using his characters strengths, not a race to who can master the techs first, or can learn the all-purpose, works everytime on every character combos first. its going to be more comparable to the metagame of other fighting games, where you won with your brain and not your fingers. I think people want a game where you win with your fingers (Melee 2.0), and thats probably why folks don't think its as good as Melee.

Beyond that, the stages are a whole lot better imo. Melee had like 5 good stages, most of the stages you got hurt/killed by the **** stage more than your opponent. Either that, or there was nowhere to fricken move. I haven't had the problem very much with Brawl even with stages that are sure to be banned in tournaments.. and even a couple of the 'neutral' stages were kind of ******** in their own way on Melee.

I don't think theres anything wrong with Melee, its one of the greatest games of all time. I just think Brawl is better lol. Its different, and will be more suited to both casual and competitive play in my opinion.

The only thing I am worried about is this:
Brawl seems right now to be extremely conducive to individuality and many different playstyles, and honestly Melee was like that too. But with the extreme surge in popularity of the Melee scene due to things like MLG and Youtube, everyone started copying their favorite smashers and everyone started playing the same. I have hope that maybe this can be avoided in Brawl. But i suppose if it doesnt, it wouldn't matter that much.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Really well written and your thoughts echo my own after my first exposure. I actually find that the combo timing is a bit faster than melee because most moves have less lag. Where there would have been a tilt, pause, jump in melee, it's more tilt-jump in brawl. It might just be with Mario, he's the only old character I've spent much time with. I also find that the fast characters all combo fairly well and the slow ones don't (and thank god for that, no five hit Ike combos please, I'm too young to die).

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
All I really expected was to be able to move my character around the screen in some kind of fluid fashion, but they managed to **** that up. The advanced techs aren't the issue so much as the laggy, clunky controls. Marth feels like Bowser, seriously. Plus, tripping three times a match is ********.

goth

Smash Rookie
What part exactly was ignorant in this post Radical Dreamer? And it all sounded pretty well written to me. Is it ignorant because it isn't how you feel? I must be ignorant as well.....

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
There's nothing wrong with characters moving in the air like Jigglypuff. The problem is, ALL THE CHARACTERS MOVE THE SAME IN THE AIR! How about some originality? The character design just feels a bit sloppy. I don't think the game is awful, I just think having every character flopping around in the air stinks.

Darkslash

Smash Master
All I really expected was to be able to move my character around the screen in some kind of fluid fashion, but they managed to **** that up. The advanced techs aren't the issue so much as the laggy, clunky controls. Marth feels like Bowser, seriously. Plus, tripping three times a match is ********.
Then go back to ****ing melee and stop ****ing spamming the forums with your ****ing anti Brawl ****. GET THE **** OUT NOW!

okay now thats out of my system

any ways the reason why people say Brawl sucks is that they can't adapt to it :laugh:
they were so used to Melee that they think brawl sucks becuase it's "slow"

Well I got some words to say to haters

"Learn to ****ing adapt"

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Your right on the money with most of your points. You can already see the game devoloping in its early stages.Still, i wouldnt say that brawl is better than melee or vice-versa, i would say they are different. Two different takes on the game of smash. Most people are going to take sides and favor one game or the other. Im going to take both games for what they are and play them accordingly....

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
What part exactly was ignorant in this post Radical Dreamer? And it all sounded pretty well written to me. Is it ignorant because it isn't how you feel? I must be ignorant as well.....
It's slightly ignorant because a lot of the criticisms of melee are misplaced.

Melee was far from running completely on "auto-combos". There was some bread and butter stuff like fox getting a uair out of a grab, but even that could be escaped if not executed perfectly.

Melee's system was about the most lenient system possible while still having actual combos exist - that is, there is plenty of interaction between comboer and comboee (in terms of DI, teching, and whatnot).

It's very unlikely that a sophisticated combo system will develop in Brawl. In fact, the combos that will emerge will probably be those boring two- to three- hit autocombos that require no creativity. A common argument is "it just came out, we'll find combos", but remember that as people get better at executing attacks, people also get better at defending against them. You'll be very hard-pressed to chain all but the most trivial moves against a player with good reaction time that knows when to jump, airdodge, or retaliate.

Also, advanced techs didn't homogenize the characters of melee, like his post seems to imply. Nor did it make everyone's playstyle the same any more than brawl's mechanics eventually will. Dominant strategies will emerge in every game, and good players will use those strategies with slight personal variations. Hoping that styles unique to each individual will persist is pretty naive.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Well, in regard to all characters moving the same; that's not the case. Sure overall the characters are more floaty, but characters differ alot in their floatyness, Bowser is no where near as floaty as Zero suit samus or wario, so suggesting that they all move the same is a lie.

Secondly, trying to manuever your character the way you did in melee will cause the game to feel slower. The thing with Brawl is its a "one-or-the-other" Fighting system. Its either ground or air. In melee, it was fine to follow up airials with ground attacks or ground attacks with airials. In brawl, the only crossover follow ups that are usable are launchers, and since everyone is more floaty, throws still play a pivotal role, if you can't beat a character on the ground just throw them up and start the airial battle.

it acctually opens up more depth for how important attack choice is. And there are plenty of ways to abuse the new shield and dodge systems to your advantage to link actions together that you normally might not, its just that there's not one key tech to use all the time like wave dashing in melee, you have to use all techniques all the time equally.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
It's slightly ignorant because a lot of the criticisms of melee are misplaced.

Melee was far from running completely on "auto-combos". There was some bread and butter stuff like fox getting a uair out of a grab, but even that could be escaped if not executed perfectly.

Melee's system was about the most lenient system possible while still having actual combos exist - that is, there is plenty of interaction between comboer and comboee (in terms of DI, teching, and whatnot).

It's very unlikely that a sophisticated combo system will develop in Brawl. In fact, the combos that will emerge will probably be those boring two- to three- hit autocombos that require no creativity. A common argument is "it just came out, we'll find combos", but remember that as people get better at executing attacks, people also get better at defending against them. You'll be very hard-pressed to chain all but the most trivial moves against a player with good reaction time that knows when to jump, airdodge, or retaliate.

Also, advanced techs didn't homogenize the characters of melee, like his post seems to imply. Nor did it make everyone's playstyle the same any more than brawl's mechanics eventually will. Dominant strategies will emerge in every game, and good players will use those strategies with slight personal variations. Hoping that styles unique to each individual will persist is pretty naive.
Taking your thoughts on Brawl combo's a little farther, it needs to be pointed out that the new air dodge system basically destroys any hope of aerial combo's in Brawl. With reduced hit stun, any follow up from a combo-er can be avoided with an air dodge, and since there is no penalty for air dodging now, it basically puts you in the clear as you can either attack your opponent if they are open, or jump away and avoid anything else. This seems to follow the new "Defensive Smash" idea, in that the entire game seems to be centered around a defensive style of play. Obviously without L-Canceling, shield camping and shield grabbing will become the dominant play styles, and due to the new ease of power shielding there's really no better way to win than playing a solely defensive game.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Then go back to ****ing melee and stop ****ing spamming the forums with your ****ing anti Brawl ****. GET THE **** OUT NOW!

any ways the reason why people say Brawl sucks is that they can't adapt to it :laugh:

"Learn to ****ing adapt"
This seems to be a common fallacy among people new to the smash community. That somehow melee vets have played SSBM for so long they have been rendered brain dead and unable to play other games. I assure you, that I personally have been able to adapt to brawl gameplay, as well as a group of melee vets I have met over the years and the gameplay has devolved almost exclusively into camping matches.

There are almost no ground attacks that can't be shield grabbed, the ones that have enough power to push you out of range of a shield grab are slow enough to be easily interrupted or lack the knockback to get you out of range of a counter attack with the reduced shieldstun. Aerial hits lack l-canceling to be safely used against someone on the ground, and trying to combo aerials is rarely rewarded since the lack of hitstun gives the opponent the chance to airdodge or use their own aerial to priority.

What you have left is the few characters with projectiles fast enough to pressure your opponent into making a mistake... or you could wait for someone to trip :ohwell: . Speed is an issue because if you do not have a way to approach someone fast enough to punish them for spamming, they can simply evade and get the spacing they need to continue spamming.

I'll prolly get fllamed to hell, but it is very likely the people saying brawl sucks have adapted and have a better grasp of the mechanics than those with the "settle for crummy gameplay, or get the **** out of the forums" mentality. As for the OP it is clear that he never had a grasp of the competitive melee metagame. Therefore, he is comparing his brawl experience to something he doesn't know **** about.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Mmkay, since I've played Brawl quite a bit now, I can make a valid arguement.

Marth feels like Bowser? Seriously? Uh.... no? Yeah, no. Marth is fluid, smooth, and quick. Bowser is heavy and difficult to move with at times (I'm not too skilled with Bowser, so that's personal opinion.) But I think most will agree with me.

Teef And Claws

Smash Rookie
I agree, when I picked up brawl I knew I'd just have to let the melee combo's and play style go. I have done that and feel that brawl is a diamond that most people only see as a lump of coal.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Badly written. Please adapt the use of better paragraphing.

So I just skimmed it quickly.

Have you played Melee? Good game. You say Ike's super slow and strong. Remember Bowser in Melee? How he was really slow and strong too? Remember how well he did in tournaments? Ike's better, yeah, but he suffers the same dilemmas as Melee-Bowser.

Comboing is almost non-existent. It's established fact. You cannot argue it. Please stop trying to unless you've played against good people who know how to DI, abuse hitstun, airdodge, wiggle, 2nd jumping and counter-attack while comboing. Only then will it become apparent to you how little comboing there actually is in this game.

More aerial play would be good if you could cancel lag on more than a handfull of auto-cancellable attacks. Since you can't, aerial approach and even comboing is much harder and more unsafe.

More intuitive =/= Good (from a Competitive standpoint).

The new shielding system, highly abusable. And it will be. Especially against Ike...

battousai555

Smash Ace
Badly written. Please adapt the use of better paragraphing.

So I just skimmed it quickly.

Have you played Melee? Good game. You say Ike's super slow and strong. Remember Bowser in Melee? How he was really slow and strong too? Remember how well he did in tournaments? Ike's better, yeah, but he suffers the same dilemmas as Melee-Bowser.

Comboing is almost non-existent. It's established fact. You cannot argue it. Please stop trying to unless you've played against good people who know how to DI, abuse hitstun, airdodge, wiggle, 2nd jumping and counter-attack while comboing. Only then will it become apparent to you how little comboing there actually is in this game.

More aerial play would be good if you could cancel lag on more than a handfull of auto-cancellable attacks. Since you can't, aerial approach and even comboing is much harder and more unsafe.

More intuitive =/= Good (from a Competitive standpoint).

The new shielding system, highly abusable. And it will be. Especially against Ike...
QFT. It's funny, at first I didn't want to believe all of the stuff you said about Brawl, but now (after playing Brawl for 3 days straight) I completely agree with you. However, I'm still going to play Brawl because I find it quite fun regardless of its competitive viability.

nutinurmacaroni

Smash Rookie
OK, Brawl will NEVER be BETTER than Melee. It would disgust me if someone who plays BTT religiously or plays Melee on the advanced competitive level or actually enjoys melee because it's so deeply complicated could actually say that Brawl is better. Brawl will never get to the competition level that Melee has or be as interesting to watch because there probably won't be as much personal skill involved. Of course, the faster you can react and the better you know your moves the better you're off but they've taken the complicated techniques and everything. For some reason, I think way too many people are gonna be 'good' at the game because there will be negative factors that set people's playing styles apart. It's gonna get boring quick. Melee is better if not even with Brawl. Screw Brawl. I'll play Brawl when I buy it for my grandkids. It's kinda like comparing The Wind Waker to Ocarina of Time.. it doesn't work.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
What part of it was ignorant? The beginning, the middle, and the end, to start with. It's ignorant because the poster is uninformed in respect to Melee AND Brawl, and his post reflects it. That's basically what the definition of ignorant is. His post includes misguided interpretations, beliefs that aren't true, and statements that are just outright contrary to fact.

He claims they removed L-Canceling and overhauled the way landing lag from aerials worked. This is not true. L-Canceling was removed and basically nothing else was changed. Now characters with relatively little landing lag from aerials like Marth will just be among the game's better characters, and Ganondorf will just blow even harder than before. Marth's fair and Fox's dair were already good before and now they're just good again, while Ganondorf's fair is basically no longer worth the risk, even when going for a kill.

Using moves wisely and selectively was no less a part of Melee as it would be in Brawl. Captain Falcon players don't go around spamming nothing but knees and Fox players don't spam nothing but uairs just because they can L-cancel them for relative laglessness. Captain Falcon players lead in with neutral airs, get grabs, and usually don't knee until throwing/punishing with a dair/connecting a raptor boost, comboing with nairs and uairs, and finally setting up for the knee. Fox players lead in with nairs and dairs, and reserve uairs when they are set up with throws or other launchers. Ganondorf players use his forward air a lot just because it's a very versatile move overall.

Also, no competent Link player ever leads in with a dair in Melee unless they are sandbagging because the landing lag, even when L-canceled, is longer than most non-L-canceled aerials.

He also claims that Brawl is only slower than Melee if you try to play it like Melee. This is another one of those statements that's just contrary to fact. Brawl is slower than Melee because it is slower than Melee. Even without wavedashing, L-canceling, and dashdancing, it's slower. Those things are also an integral part of the game that do make it clearly a faster game. If you can dash in one direction and then instantly change directions and start dashing again, it's going to be faster than if you have to dash in one direction, stop entirely, and then dash in the other direction.

The aerial game is not showing any signs of being deeper in Brawl. It consists almost solely of aerial interception by timing your attacks so that you don't run into their aerial attack or whiff because of an airdodge. This is already in Melee. I was playing Melee recently with someone during which I would uthrow my opponent's Falco with Fox at a very high percent, wait for him to double jump, and then hit him with a bair afterward when he didn't expect it. Melee also had the potential for combos because most characters had enough hitstun to allow it. Brawl basically doesn't, with few exceptions.

Shield Canceling is very helpful and will be extremely useful in playing Brawl at higher levels, but it adds absolutely nothing that wasn't already present in Melee with dashcanceling, dashing into a shield, or wavedashing.

He is right that the character diversity in Brawl is better than Melee, but as a criticism this is almost unnecessarily harsh because the game's system entails that the characters do have some basic similarities. Bair will probably always be some sort of backwards aerial attack. Directional throws for most characters will probably serve similar purposes, and everyone ultimately needs some sort of powerful kill move. Ultimately however, Melee did introduce a lot of new playstyles that didn't exist before. No one in 64 played like Marth, Peach or Ice Climbers. With that said, Brawl has done a pretty good job introducing even more styles, and I like how creative they've gotten with characters like Wario and Snake. I just wish they existed on a more competent game engine.

Saying Melee is a game you win with just your fingers is ignorant and is a pretty noticeable sign that this guy is probably not playing any game, Smash or otherwise, at a competitive level. He even says this makes it more like "other fighting games." Play Marvel, Guilty Gear, Tekken, or CvS2 some day. They're all pretty finger intensive. It takes a significant amount of time just to build the muscle memory needed just to compete in those games. Melee is obviously faster than Brawl and you need to react quicker; there's no doubt about that. But Brawl also removed a lot of the parts of Melee where the brain was most at work. The reductions to the ground game make it so that the brain has fewer mixups to worry about there. The same goes for the reductions to the edge game. Aside from the few characters who can't sweetspot, only aggressive aerial edgeguarding, and reacting to stage getups are in Brawl's edge game, both of which are in Melee. Passive edgeguarding, which is mostly nonexistent in Brawl, was another dimension of Melee where the brain was called upon to act.

Finally, stages, something I don't even care about that much. Way more stages in Brawl feature random stuff that can randomly kill you with little player influence. Try actually playing on all of the stages in both games.

God, I hate being challenged and actually feeling compelled to explain myself. I'd rather write a single sentence telling people they're wrong.

"Learn to ****ing adapt"
Hate to break it to you, but you'll probably still be much worse at Brawl than the good players who are criticizing it.

I play Melee with competent Melee players, and seeing them pick up Brawl, it's almost surprising just how quickly they actually do adapt to it and figure things out. It's because competitive playing is a mindset that takes time to develop through experience and persistence. Even with a so-called "fresh start," the competent Melee players I've been playing with have made more progress in the past few weeks than most of the noncompetitive players will probably make in the years to come.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Wow, way to **** there Radical Dreamer.

This seems to be another attempt by theONEJanitor to be relevant to the Smash community. He's written other WoT's on other random things he assumed he knew alot about only to be quickly flamed by people who knew he was wrong(and occasionally corrected, but rarely, the melee community is a surly bunch) One that comes to mind quickly is his assertion that all characters had the exact same amount of aerial hit stun in melee(lolwut?)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

"Learn to ****ing adapt"
I'm spamming the forums, Mr. 19 posts a day?

lol kiss my ***

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Mmkay, since I've played Brawl quite a bit now, I can make a valid arguement.

Marth feels like Bowser? Seriously? Uh.... no? Yeah, no. Marth is fluid, smooth, and quick. Bowser is heavy and difficult to move with at times (I'm not too skilled with Bowser, so that's personal opinion.) But I think most will agree with me.
In Melee Marth had 5 jump frames. I don't know what they are in Brawl, but it felt like at least 8 - 9, which is why I said he felt like Bowser.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Based on his horrible analysis of how Melee is played, I'd say the OP hasn't even played the game before.
I've played him multiple times in tournaments, and he's pretty good. He's probably better than most of the people who posted in this thread.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Whatever game the rest of you guys are playing, it ain't Brawl. I've found Brawl's gameplay to be rather enjoyable actually... especially as my main since SSB64, Kirby.

Well, except for tripping but the only time I KNEW that I had tripped mid-match, I was able to recover before anyone took advantege of it.

sKooza

Smash Rookie
There's nothing wrong with characters moving in the air like Jigglypuff. The problem is, ALL THE CHARACTERS MOVE THE SAME IN THE AIR! How about some originality? The character design just feels a bit sloppy. I don't think the game is awful, I just think having every character flopping around in the air stinks.
it only seems floaty if you only concentrate on playing like in melee which was mainly on the ground. In Brawl it seems like it its bringing battle in the air and on the ground..which by far makes it seem like a deeper game than melee.

not to bring you out or anything, its just that I saw your comment first so I quoted it

arrowhead

Smash Ace
it only seems floaty if you only concentrate on playing like in melee which was mainly on the ground. In Brawl it seems like it its bringing battle in the air and on the ground..which by far makes it seem like a deeper game than melee.
you jump into the air
you attempt a dair
you get upsmashed

deeeep

Eggm

Smash Hero
Exactly the ground movement is the thing i hate most about this game.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Exactly the ground movement is the thing i hate most about this game.
I not only have trouble with the ground movement, I have trouble with the ledge. Since your now forced to wait until your ledge invincibility ends before you can do anything I have found that alot of my options from the ledge are gone as I can't catch an opponent who has missed an edge guard >.<

Erave

Smash Cadet
Brawl is better because instead of practicing hard on advanced techniques and maximizing kills with endless combos, you have to instead work more on spacing better and getting in good hits while you can. While I liked Melee and appreciated the players who could display great tech skill, I love Brawl because to me it seems it will be relying more on pure mindgames and spacing.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
that would be the case if there were no projectiles. instead, the spammable projectile characters have the advantage because the floatiness makes approaching much more difficult. and there is nothing wrong with a technically advanced game. it just adds depth: you have to think faster and there are many more options for any given situation. otherwise, go play rock, paper, scissors.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Brawl is better because instead of practicing hard on advanced techniques and maximizing kills with endless combos, you have to instead work more on spacing better and getting in good hits while you can. While I liked Melee and appreciated the players who could display great tech skill, I love Brawl because to me it seems it will be relying more on pure mindgames and spacing.
This^^^^^^^^^ is wrong. The game is NOT about proper spacing and mindgames now as the jerky ground movements and lack of any real fluid motion makes it nearly impossible to properly space. Even more, you can't really "mindgamez" any more as any ability to bait an attack has been destroyed with the loss of dash dancing and wavedashing(yes, im bringing up wavedashing, please dont degrade this thread into a pro/anti wavedashing thread) Also, the lack of tech skill will never make for a better game. Since any game can be played without any real skill there's no reason NOT to have a deeper game as those who want to use it will and those who don't wont, rather than forcibly dumbing down the game so everyone has to play on a low level.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
You know, to be honest, one of the reasons I was really looking forward to Brawl was that I wanted that "fresh start." Most of my Melee experience involved playing people with years of experience over me. But after playing Brawl, I realized that even though the skill gap between myself and these players slightly decreased...that just wasn't as important to me as the fact that I find Melee intrinsically more enjoyable.

All I wanted was a game with new characters that could reach the same level of excitement and intensity as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjovwgLSmZ4

What did I get instead? Stickers. STICKERS. Sakurai is a self-indulgent egomaniac.

Top Bottom