• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's the most annoying rival?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
May was the most annoying in Ruby because she always came to challenge me to a dual when my starting team was beat up. Had I known she was coming I would have prepared, but May caught me off guard everytime.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
No you guys, you are forgetting about Silver, he was annoying!

I don't know what you guys talking about because Gary is awesome!

:phone:

DLO

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who isn't saying Cheren and Bianca is wrong.
While Blue and Silver come out at the right time while being mean, Cheren and Bianca come out OFTEN, AT THE WRONG TIME, MANY TIMES.

M.K

Level 55
I honestly did not care for Wally's story, the whole "oh feel bad for him, he's come a long way in his life" just kinda felt like a cop-out. Silver was badass, not annoying. He truly felt like a rival (and I always took him seriously, until later on.). Gary was also slightly badass and appeared in, by far, the most annoying places in the game. May/Brendan were negligible since they were so awful. Cheren and Bianca were heartwarming. Cheren was annoying because of his pseudo-Silver mentality, but I think it all balanced out.

N was a good rival. Not much to say about him, though. Weird kid.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I felt bad for Cheren. He always lost (of course), but he never gave the "oh well, it was fun anyway!" speech afterwords. He dwelled on his losses so much, and stuff like wondering if some people simply cannot be strong enough to succeed.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Gary Mother _______ Oak, as he lost me a Pokemon R/B bingo race. His god dang Pidgeotto and SAND ATTACK!!!!!.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I still love that move. I only use one of those yet my opponents miss a lot with only 1 stage drop in accuracy. Odd thing is when I use Double Team like 1-2 times I still get hit a lot but when my opponent uses it 1 time I miss too much and with 100% accurate moves. =/ The game hates me.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The ADHD kid from D/P. Damn kid needs to stop talking.
This post kinda makes me laugh in hindsight of the fact that I named my rival in Platinum Fred.

Edited for content: It gets me that Wally is even considered a rival given how often you battle him. I don't know about annoying to fight, but I wish they had given him more screen time. You kinda forget about him until he runs into you at Victory Road. It bugs me.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Barry is the blonde DP rival. Wally is the green haired kid from RSE.

I think May is still the most annoying rival in poke history. She never reaches the level of other rivals in the series and I get tired of seeing her at the end of the game. 'lolol I'm late.' :/

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The all-encompassing name used to refer to the game's character is Barry, just like how you can choose the name of the rivals in R/B/Y and G/S/C but they're still usually identified as Blue/Gary and Silver.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The blonde hypo one was the only one I really concidered annoying. Gary and Silver could be classed as annoying, but it fit their character, and lets face it, a rival should be someone you hate and want to beat. The rest were just 'oh look its that guy/girl who's a really good friend, I'll beat up her pokemon then they can dissapear again for a while for no reason.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gary keeps on smelling me...It's getting creepy

M.K

Level 55
The thing about Gary is that, even at the beginning of the game when neither Gary nor you have any Pokemon, you can already tell that he's a douche and considers himself better than you.

Silver, on the other hand, has a plan and you're only interfering in it sometimes. He doesn't have a direct relationship with Gold, but he hates the idea of Gold (i.e. The trainer who raises his Pokemon with love and care).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The thing about Gary is that, even at the beginning of the game when neither Gary nor you have any Pokemon, you can already tell that he's a douche and considers himself better than you.

Silver, on the other hand, has a plan and you're only interfering in it sometimes. He doesn't have a direct relationship with Gold, but he hates the idea of Gold (i.e. The trainer who raises his Pokemon with love and care).
He's also the son of Giovonni, confirmed by the Japanese version of Soul Silver/ Heart Gold. For some reason they removed them from saying that in the International version

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
PokeSpe is an adaptation of the games, so I don't know how the official Pokemon manga could not be canon

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
PokeSpe is an adaptation of the games, so I don't know how the official Pokemon manga could not be canon
Yes, because in the games the Gym Leaders were working for team rocket...

Oh wait, they weren't!

Edit: Unless "PokeSpe" stands for something different than "Pokemon Special" than I cannot believe that anyone that has read Pokemon Special can consider it canon with the story of the games.

Edit 2: I can't remember if the Elite Four were their own evil team or if they worked for Team Rocket, but regardless of that mistake, the Gym Leaders aren't canonically affiliated with Team Rocket. I'm also fairly certain the Elite Four aren't canonically suppose to be evil.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
He's also the son of Giovonni, confirmed by the Japanese version of Soul Silver/ Heart Gold. For some reason they removed them from saying that in the International version
Pretty sure it was confirmed in FR/LG with one of the Rockets saying that Giovanni's son had red hair.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, because that's an important detail regarding Silver's father.
It derails Pokemon Special from being a valid, canonical source.

You can't call a few elements being revealed in it canonical when it completely changes the characters and storyline

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yep it's true. Silver is indeed Giovanni's father, I was stunned to learn this myself.

Kinda of weird that Gary is the Viridian gym leader instead of Silver considering Giovanni was the former gym leader.

:phone:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Silver has **** to do, he doesn't want to sit inside a maze all day.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Cheren.

Seriously, his character isn't likeable at all, and he actually is a ***** to fight later on. (Especially with the water monkey, seriously, **** that noise) Bianca is useless, but not nearly as annoying as cheren.

Barry gets second.

Nanorell

Smash Rookie
Cheren.

Seriously, his character isn't likeable at all, and he actually is a ***** to fight later on. (Especially with the water monkey, seriously, **** that noise) Bianca is useless, but not nearly as annoying as cheren.

Barry gets second.
I'll agree with you on that one,Cheren is somewhat of a jerk in some parts of the game. but i cant help but feel sorry for him. when you battle him he says hes gonna win and he seems so sure of it but in the end he always loses. he tries so hard but he'll never win :( poor guy.

ToonLucario

Smash Rookie
Holy crap, I didn't expect this to be so popular.

I still hate Brendan (I play as May) because he pops up in the WORST areas, like in Ruby where he shows up on the tall grass covered route 101, and usually your pokemon have taken a beating, so yeah. Those gosh darn Electrikes screwed me up before the fight with him, even though I caught one and named him Boalt. Thank goodness my Zigzagoon knows Cut.

Lamb

Smash Rookie
I felt bad for Cheren. He always lost (of course), but he never gave the "oh well, it was fun anyway!" speech afterwords. He dwelled on his losses so much, and stuff like wondering if some people simply cannot be strong enough to succeed.
Well, he's right about the part that some people simply cannot be strong enough to succeed. Except, there's only one person who simply cannot be strong enough to succeed. That person would be Cheren himself haha. Anyway, the most annoying rival for me was Silver. He was just so arrogant that it made me happy to crush him every single time I battled him. The time when you try to talk to him in the beginning of Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal and he just pushes you just annoyed me. I felt good after beating him. I felt like he deserved being destroyed.

Top Bottom