• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
A star punch might put a dent, isn't it like black magic?
Assuming thats not sarcasm, no.
Mac is still just a human, probably at peak strength like Cap or Batman. A punch wont even make Samus aware of his prescence (Well, he will anyway because of the visor.)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Paper Mario elements are included, would that include the Star Rod? In-game I don't think they ever said that its power was limited.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't think Mario would be the kind of guy to use the Star Rod for himself.
Oh I definitely agree with you, but Bowser was able to obtain it and he would use it for himself. And if Mario's life depended on it, he might lol

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Assuming thats not sarcasm, no.
Mac is still just a human, probably at peak strength like Cap or Batman. A punch wont even make Samus aware of his prescence (Well, he will anyway because of the visor.)
Not so sure about that. A punch from a professional boxer is actually quite powerful. Samus has been hit by much stronger yes but I'm sure she would notice it. It would probably hurt the boxer more than samus in her suit though.

Ouch! Punching metal.

About paper mario:
Is paper mario actually the mario we all know and live or is he an alternate dimension mario? That question is actually kinda funny and extremely true when you think about it.

Last edited:

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Not so sure about that. A punch from a professional boxer is actually quite powerful. Samus has been hit by much stronger yes but I'm sure she would notice it. It would probably hurt the boxer more than samus in her suit though.

Ouch! Punching metal.

About paper mario:
Is paper mario actually the mario we all know and live or is he an alternate dimension mario? That question is actually kinda funny and extremely true when you think about it.
Huh, on the other hand, I wonder how strong a punch from Samus actually is :\

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume Paper Mario is an alternate dimension Mario.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'd like to see that tier list again with Little Mac's inclusion. He might not be high, but I want to see how he fares with the lower tier characters, specifically WFT.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Wii Fit Trainer would be no match for Little Mac. Little Mac is a trained fighter, WFT is just some fitness nut

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I think I'll post my list and see what's up. Basically these are characters discussed that I've witnessed. They are in no particular order within their tiers.

S:
Rosalina

A+:
Sonic
Marth
Mewtwo

A:
Samus
Ganondorf
Pit
Ness

B:
Link
Zelda
Megaman
Kirby
Meta knight
Lucario
Bowser
Pikachu

C:
Little Mac
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Wario
C.falcon
Dedede
DK
Snake

C:
wii fit trainer
Diddy
Peach
Villager
Olimar
ROB
Ice climber
G&W

I'm slowly editing this post with forgotten characters if you want to check back at any time.
Updated: I think little mac is pretty strong considering he is fully versed in a martial art albeit limited. He can take stronger characters just because he is trained to fight. As for very powerful... Well no. He isn't breaking reality just making the best of it!

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Rosalina's power is completely dependant on the Lumas. Remember, she didn't recreate the universe herself, it was all the Lumas who had to sacrifice themselves to do it.

I'm surprised everyone overlooks how ridiculously strong Wario and Donkey Kong are. They both have super strength. Wario can smash through bolders and lift things 20 times his own size. He can survive being lit on fire and squashed flat. Donkey Kong also punched the moon into his enemies to finish them off!

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Who cares if Rosalina is dependant on Lumas.... It is cannon that she can control Lumas.
Just like how Samus relys on technology... It is cannon that she wears technology.

Every character is in there strongest cannon form.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Remember that thing? Well waluigi doesn't lie, so here it is. We will discuss a matchup per day, most coherent argument wins it.
RNG gives me:jigglypuff64: vs
Discuss!
+1:warioc::sonic:Little MAc
+0
:mario64::dk64::linkmelee::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::ness64::jigglypuff64::bowser2::dkmelee::150::metaknight::snake::dedede::wolf::sonic::popo::warioc::diddy::olimar::ike::rob::toonlink::pt::lucario::zerosuitsamus::kirby::lucas::ganondorf::sheik::sheilda::peach::gw::pit::pichumelee::drmario::rosalina::younglinkmelee::roypm:Megaman, villager, wii fit trainer,
-1Little MAc :falcon64::jigglypuff64:

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I would say wario beats jiggly. Higgs can like make him sleep and she can slap him around a bit but wario is just mean. Lol

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Rosalina is guardian of the ****ing universe. Captain Falcon can destroy the entire universe with a single punch.

Clearly, these two are the most powerful people. ¦D

As this post is made to be a joke played for laughs, if anyone responds seriously to it, I probably either won't respond or will openly mock you for it if I'm not feeling lazy and am bored enough.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
So uhm. I just wanted to put this out there, but... it's "canon", not "cannon".

Sorry! It's just been really bugging me ever since this thread began xD

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So uhm. I just wanted to put this out there, but... it's "canon", not "cannon".

Sorry! It's just been really bugging me ever since this thread began xD
Thank you. I was gonna say it, but I didn't feel like making people feel stupid this time. ¦D

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Wait a minute.

Sandbag is indestructible, as stated by his melee trophy "Getting hit doesn't hurt Sandbag at all.". Sandbag is immortal. All opponents would just use attack after attack until they realize the futility and forfeit the fight. Even Rosalina would understand that there are better applications of her time than to hit a sand bag for eternity.

Mewtwo can use mind control. Too bad Sandbag is an inanimate object and has no mind.

Ganon can be defeated by holy objects. Sandbag can be defeated by nothing.

Sandbag is the strongest character in Smash.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Wait a minute.

Sandbag is indestructible, as stated by his melee trophy "Getting hit doesn't hurt Sandbag at all.". Sandbag is immortal. All opponents would just use attack after attack until they realize the futility and forfeit the fight. Even Rosalina would understand that there are better applications of her time than to hit a sand bag for eternity.

Mewtwo can use mind control. Too bad Sandbag is an inanimate object and has no mind.

Ganon can be defeated by holy objects. Sandbag can be defeated by nothing.

Sandbag is the strongest character in Smash.
/thread

Shows over. HammerHappy has won. Go home and go to bed, folks.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Why aren't Lucas and Ness considered the best? They have powershields for physical and magical attacks that ignore defense stats, can stall with rolling hp meters, and are able to heal themsevles. Ness is a 13 year old boy that can survive an exploding oak tree lmao. They're like a more op version of Wobuffet. Not only that, but Ness also has access to time travel and can go back in time and kill his enemy while they are a fetus.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Why aren't Lucas and Ness considered the best? They have powershields for physical and magical attacks that ignore defense stats, can stall with rolling hp meters, and are able to heal themsevles. Ness is a 13 year old boy that can survive an exploding oak tree lmao. They're like a more op version of Wobuffet. Not only that, but Ness also has access to time travel and can go back in time and kill his enemy while they are a fetus.
I think you missed half the pages in this thread lol.

There's a general consensus that Ness is pretty damn good. Lucas less so, but Ness is def's up there.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Ness isn't really that strong in Earthbound. He doesn't use PSI a lot and mostly relies on his baseball bats. So if we're going for canon, Ness isn't that strong.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Ness isn't really that strong in Earthbound. He doesn't use PSI a lot and mostly relies on his baseball bats. So if we're going for canon, Ness isn't that strong.
I assumed we were talking about end-game Ness.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I made a post back on like page 3 about how strong Ness is.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I have always found this debate interesting. For over fifteen years I have witnessed an ongoing discussion about the canon strength of each fighter. Here is a quick summary of my observations. I excluded Sonic since his discussion is so annoying and everyone seems to take it personally. If he was included he would be Top Tier due to the Chaos Emeralds. Low and Middle Tier are in no partic

Low Tier

These characters posses little to no magic powers or highly advanced technology. They rely solely on their innate abilities for combat, therefore are trumped by any character who has access to higher capabilities.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
C. Falcon
C. Olimar
Pokemon Trainer
Jigglypuff
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B
Ice Climbers
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac

Middle Tier

These characters posses some degree of varying magic power and advanced technology. They have an advantage due to their innate abilities being somewhat stronger than those in the Low Tier or that they are able to wield highly advanced weaponry. However, being limited in their abilities they are defeated by any character with access to extreme power and weaponry.

Bowser
Toon Link
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Pikachu
Lucario
Marth
Ike
Mega Man

Top Tier

These characters posses extreme amounts of magic power or highly advanced technology and weaponry. They have a huge advantage over all other characters who do not have access to immortality, omnipotence, powerful psychic abilities and otherworldly technology. Since this is the Top Tier, there will be more of an explanation for the characters.

Rosalina, Link, Zelda, Pit

From what little we know about Rosalina, it appears she is somewhat of a Goddess with the ability to create and destroy worlds. Due to her magical abilities and her power of creation, she may posses magic powers that could defeat characters from Middle Tier. Link & Zelda have access to the Triforce, a relic that grants the wielder omnipotence. Zelda is a Sage with a high degree of magic power who also has one third of the Triforce. Link is the chosen hero of the Gods who carries with him another piece of the Triforce. Pit is granted magic powers from Palutena, who is a Goddess, therefore has access to otherworldly powers. All three of these characters may be mortal but are supported by different levels of omnipotence.

Samus

Samus is the only character in Top Tier who is full mortal with no magic power or psychic ability whatsoever. Fortunately, she was granted highly advanced technology and weaponry from an extremely advanced civilization who became somewhat omnipotent themselves. The Chozo were far beyond any other species in the entire universe and the culmination of their culture is what we know as the Varia Suit. It is impervious to many hazards and will defeat virtually any other mortal and most likely the previous characters who only have some degree of omnipotence.

Mewtwo, Ness, Lucas

All three character posses powerful psychic abilities, with Mewtwo being the standout. The psychic ability these characters possess allow them to bypass any sort of defense other characters attempt with no harm to themselves. Offensively, their psychic powers are destructive and unavoidable. Since it is too difficult to even approach them, victory is near impossible, not counting a handy dandy Master Ball.

Ganon

There have been many incarnations of the King of Darkness and Evil, all with varying degrees of power. One thing has remained constant: immortality, omnipotence and otherworldly abilities. The only character to have come back from the dead on multiple occasions for the sole purpose of accepting his invitation to Smash Bros. finds himself at the top of the list. Ganon is an all-powerful demon who owns a piece of the Triforce and has owned the entire Triforce on occasion. Coupled with his powerful dark magic, Ganon is untouchable and is the only character in the game who has exercised deadly force. Basically, the only way to defeat Ganon would be to enlist the help of Link and Zelda, which would defeat the purpose of a one versus one match. If any character in Smash Bros. were to die, they would obviously be dead indefinitely, except Ganon. Ganon is also the only character who is truly omnipotent in the roster. Being omnipotent means that Ganon is all-powerful, rivaling the power of Gods. The only real reason he is ever defeated by Link is due to predestined fate and the fact that the video game you are playing needs a happy ending

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
As someone who argued against Pokemon Trainer a lot (Having the creation trio/Mewtwo on beck and call is ridiculous), how is having the ability to command Pokemon not "access to high level weaponry"?

A low level Ratatta has the jaw strength to chew through concrete and steel. A hyper fang could easily dismember a normal person.

He has huge versatility in the 6 different Pokemon he takes. Send in something with sheer cold to OHKO. Or if he's facing something like Megaman, Porygon Z could **** him up.

Edit: Or ****, get really creative.

Order Ditto to envelope you, leaving a space to breath/eye holes. Have Ditto "transform" into the surrounding environment for some decent camo. Have Shedinja and Alakazam. Skill swap wonder guard onto Ditto.

Now only fighting type moves can hurt Pkm Trainer if Ditto is quick on the draw.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Demise lost to link in his realm. Demise is a god. Just saying.

Rosalina wouldn't lose in his realm. She would just destroy the realm. Not much to it.
Link has well, god powers. The triforce is an infusion of the 3 gods, so in most games link has the power of 1-3 godesses, also there is the master sword, which is also an infusion of Hylia, and has been tempered by the flames of the 3 godesses. Not to mention in majoras mask/ocarina of time(and it can be inferred in skyward sword) Link also has the goddess of time in his side. So yeah...... That's why Link wins against Demise. Also if Link has the full triforce he could simply wish anyone he wanted away, or use the ocarina of time or timeshift stones, or time gate, to call on his past/future selves, and, if his triforce isn't enough, Link could borrow Lorule's triforce, and have the power of 6 gods/goddesses Also if that wasn't enough the Link in majoras mask can turn into a god(aka fierce deity). Also Link can call upon other magical beings such as spirits, his past selves(Such as hero's shade) and other spirits(various fairies within his items, such as dominion rod, fire/ice/light arrows/, transformation masks, minish cap ect.). Also if it weren't enough Link can become invincible with things such as magic armor, or various potions, or Nayru's Love. Furthermore Link's power of courage allows him to see exploits in any situation, making weak points visible, and if there is even only a single way to beat a person, Link can find out that way. And if your so-called Rosalina even managed the 0.0% chance to destroys Links world, link would just be, ok...... fine. Link will just go to lorule/termina/koholint/sacred realm.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
As someone who argued against Pokemon Trainer a lot (Having the creation trio/Mewtwo on beck and call is ridiculous), how is having the ability to command Pokemon not "access to high level weaponry"?

A low level Ratatta has the jaw strength to chew through concrete and steel. A hyper fang could easily dismember a normal person.

He has huge versatility in the 6 different Pokemon he takes. Send in something with sheer cold to OHKO. Or if he's facing something like Megaman, Porygon Z could **** him up.

Edit: Or ****, get really creative.

Order Ditto to envelope you, leaving a space to breath/eye holes. Have Ditto "transform" into the surrounding environment for some decent camo. Have Shedinja and Alakazam. Skill swap wonder guard onto Ditto.

Now only fighting type moves can hurt Pkm Trainer if Ditto is quick on the draw.
Technically, capturing the legendary Pokemon is somewhat of a game-play mechanic. This is to allow you to use the Pokemon and have fun. Canonically, I highly doubt any trainer is able to obtain the legendary Pokemon since every Pokemon game features a new trainer who is able to capture them, even though they all exist in the same world. Also, Pokemon Trainer is just a human, we can't very well allow him to have access to every single Pokemon there is, since each Pokemon is its own character. In all seriousness, Pokemon Trainer shouldn't really be counted in this discussion

Link has well, god powers. The triforce is an infusion of the 3 gods, so in most games link has the power of 1-3 godesses, also there is the master sword, which is also an infusion of Hylia, and has been tempered by the flames of the 3 godesses. Not to mention in majoras mask/ocarina of time(and it can be inferred in skyward sword) Link also has the goddess of time in his side. So yeah...... That's why Link wins against Demise. Also if Link has the full triforce he could simply wish anyone he wanted away, or use the ocarina of time or timeshift stones, or time gate, to call on his past/future selves, and, if his triforce isn't enough, Link could borrow Lorule's triforce, and have the power of 6 gods/goddesses Also if that wasn't enough the Link in majoras mask can turn into a god(aka fierce deity). Also Link can call upon other magical beings such as spirits, his past selves(Such as hero's shade) and other spirits(various fairies within his items, such as dominion rod, fire/ice/light arrows/, transformation masks, minish cap ect.). Also if it weren't enough Link can become invincible with things such as magic armor, or various potions, or Nayru's Love. Furthermore Link's power of courage allows him to see exploits in any situation, making weak points visible, and if there is even only a single way to beat a person, Link can find out that way. And if your so-called Rosalina even managed the 0.0% chance to destroys Links world, link would just be, ok...... fine. Link will just go to lorule/termina/koholint/sacred realm.
Link has many magical powers and is really only beaten by the psychics and Ganon. Samus may be able to edge him out in a longer battle but Link's magic powers may be able to prevail, especially with the Triforce

Rosalina's power is completely dependant on the Lumas. Remember, she didn't recreate the universe herself, it was all the Lumas who had to sacrifice themselves to do it.

I'm surprised everyone overlooks how ridiculously strong Wario and Donkey Kong are. They both have super strength. Wario can smash through bolders and lift things 20 times his own size. He can survive being lit on fire and squashed flat. Donkey Kong also punched the moon into his enemies to finish them off!
Stong, like Donkey Kong! Yes, they are very strong but magic, technology and psychic powers win those battles

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Yet you allow Link to use the triforce, the power of the Goddesses? Are the Goddesses not their own characters?
Why not just say anyone with access to the Star Rod is top tier because they can wish grant?

The restriction Pkm Trainer should realistically have (no command over legendaries) is pointless if we let characters reach ultimate potential across every single game.

You can't have optimal Link with all his tools and his alternates then ignore other characters based off technicalities. Especially when people are saying he would get help from his alts, faries, Goddesses, spirits, etc.

Optimal Pkm Trainer would be higher than Metwo because he would essentially be Mewtwo + 5 other Pkm.
Darkrai for instantaneous sleep. Dialga for time manipulation. Palkia for space manipulation. Girantina for dark matter manipulation.
Arceus uses judgement, everything dies.

If we remove a character because of their power potential, than what the hell is the point of all this.

We need to set reasonable character restrictions or just go into theoretical hyper super Sonic chaos control bull ****.

This is all pointless anyway because Sandbag is clearly the best and no one can prove otherwise.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm starting to consider forgetting this place ever existed and go back to Screwattack/Factpile/Comicvine...

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Yet you allow Link to use the triforce, the power of the Goddesses? Are the Goddesses not their own characters?
Why not just say anyone with access to the Star Rod is top tier because they can wish grant?

The restriction Pkm Trainer should realistically have (no command over legendaries) is pointless if we let characters reach ultimate potential across every single game.

You can't have optimal Link with all his tools and his alternates then ignore other characters based off technicalities. Especially when people are saying he would get help from his alts, faries, Goddesses, spirits, etc.

Optimal Pkm Trainer would be higher than Metwo because he would essentially be Mewtwo + 5 other Pkm.
Darkrai for instantaneous sleep. Dialga for time manipulation. Palkia for space manipulation. Girantina for dark matter manipulation.
Arceus uses judgement, everything dies.

If we remove a character because of their power potential, than what the hell is the point of all this.

We need to set reasonable character restrictions or just go into theoretical hyper super Sonic chaos control bull ****.

This is all pointless anyway because Sandbag is clearly the best and no one can prove otherwise.
Bolded

Link has the support of the Goddesses, since he owns a Triforce. Link possess all of his abilities innately, therefore he can use them. The other user claimed he can call upon others, I did not

Pokemon Trainer can not use Mewtwo since Mewtwo is its own character. Pokemon Trainer relies on other characters to gain his power

Canonically, Pokemon Trainer is the same as Villager, he is just representative of the player

If you refuse to or cannot understand this point, I can't help you

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Pokemon Trainer probably wouldn't be able to catch Mewtwo anyway, since canonically there is one Mewtwo and Mewtwo would probably destroy Pokemon Trainer or at least use Psychic powers to throw his Pokeballs away before they hit Mewtwo. Also Pokémon Trainer can only have six Pokemon at a time, so technically he can't have every single Pokemon on the go in a second.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Little Mac can survive being punched by DK, who can punch a moon down to earth.

Not sure if this is canon or not, though.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Bolded

Link has the support of the Goddesses, since he owns a Triforce. Link possess all of his abilities innately, therefore he can use them. The other user claimed he can call upon others, I did not

Pokemon Trainer can not use Mewtwo since Mewtwo is its own character. Pokemon Trainer relies on other characters to gain his power

Canonically, Pokemon Trainer is the same as Villager, he is just representative of the player

If you refuse to or cannot understand this point, I can't help you
In each game Link starts off without the Triforce (And I think tends to give it up? I don't recall him ruling over Hyrule with an iron fist of godliness in the end cinematics of any game...). This implies it's not an innate part of him, and he probably shouldn't have the powers it grants available for this contest.

From the other side of things, Samus can start with her suit and weapons. Canonically, she starts at full power in some of her games. So Samus could be reasonably argued to be able to be at full power here (At least, if she's given permission).

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
If he ever makes the roster I'd say nintendog because it is the immortal husk of a god in the form of a puppy and no one can hurt a puppy.

Joking aside, my vote for the strongest character is split. It really depends on the circumstances and area. ROB in a way could be the strongest because he actually exists in our dimension and our real life is half of his cannon. Another issue is most of the characters have died, have been shown to die, or do have a weakness. If we focus on those characters who show no weakness in their respective cannon like WFT shine through. However, I am guessing you mean they are all in the same dimension and their implied status in the canon carries over (Implied status being that humanoid characters not being shown dead can die, robots need a power source, guns need bullets, etc.) In that case I would have to say it is a rock>paper>scissors effect. The villains are more powerful, but they do have the weakness of their respective hero. But that hero has many more weaknesses, just their strength overlaps their villain. So it depends on the fighting order/opponent. Pokemon trainer is a good choice because he is customizable and has access to "gods," but the trainer himself is a mere mortal. What will stop his opponent from following the play-by-play structure of a pokemon battle or for going straight for him and killing him rendering his pokemon useless? Ganondorf is near invincible except when fought by a triforce member, Samus is pretty strong but is pretty vulnerable herself.

Screw it, my vote is on R.O.B.

Top Bottom