• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHOBO MLG - May 3rd-4th - PM me your email if you are in top 32 melee so I can get you MLG points

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I played straight Sheik in Melee.

Shout outs to come! Venue was was a sauna, but the games themselves were a blast!

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i have a lot of complaints about this tournament, but i think SS | S0ft covers them pretty well in this facebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MeleeItOnMe/permalink/491645094269897/

i can personally expand on my issues but he covers most of them.

If you don't want to join the FB group here's the post in its entirety:

As many know I have been traveling to a lot of tournaments recently. I have found that the norm for bigger tournaments is a less than satisfactory result. Several tournaments have left me with a bad taste in my mouth and for different reasons. I would like to share with yall the main trend I am noticing from these tournaments and what I believe can be changed to give players a better overall experience.

The biggest problem is the combination of TO’s running a lot of different events while being either too inexperienced in general to handle this or lack of knowledge in the specific community/game they are trying to add to the lineup. CEO, so far, has been the only multigame tournament I have attended (this year) where events didn’t feel like they were clashing and fighting each other for the spotlight. I think two big differences the experienced TO’s have vs the inexperienced ones is properly scheduling events and learning how to delegate responsibility to either other TO’s or officials to handle their specific game.

We are starting to see more and more big events popping up trying to add melee, along with other smash games, to the lineup. The problem is they are charging a price very comparable to EVO/MLG/CEO but delivering far less in terms of venue, scheduling, and other perks. I’m not going to try and accuse any TO’s of being in it solely for the money, but looking at only the facts tournaments like WHOBO are charging a lot of money ($40 door fee), being held in a less-then-mediocre venue, falling predictably short of even a ‘good’ tournament experience, then finally making a semi long post on Facebook apologizing for how sorry they are, but in the end they are ‘running away’ with the money. The problem is not the TOs profiting from the tournament, they are working hard and deserve compensation. It is TOs profiting from a poorly ran event. If they want to charge CEO prices then need to deliver CEO results.

Scheduling is another big issue. TOs failing to schedule events properly really affects the players, especially with our prehistoric way of announcing matches, meaning players are stuck in limbo for an undetermined amount of time. Whobo was an extreme example with players having to wait over eleven hours to play singles matches, all while being told it would start soon, and having to wait in a hot cramped loft/circle/room.
Delegating is also a problem. If the TO is not willing to delegate power or get others more experienced to help run the events and actually have the power to make decisions, then running so many events is simply impractical.
The final point is a trend of new TOs wanting to be big and trying to run their event with the spectators as the main focus and players being set up more as an attraction. This is more of a gray area as of right now, but I hope tournaments can stop leaning towards this.

If TO’s are going to keep charging these prices and have these kind of tournaments we as a community need to do something about this. On the flip side we need to make sure we really support the TO’s that are giving us properly run, great tournaments. We have grown to expect this, but trust me it is not the norm. Discuss:?:

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Shout-outs to brawl having 4 events but less entrants the melee or PM in anything

I'll do real shout-outs to the peeps if I ever stop being lazy

Last edited:

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to Everyone in my car pool
Thoraxe
Luck
Brandon
Sethlon
You guys know how to make a car pool exciting. I'm sorry for the eclectic taste in music. To each their own ya. Besides that, just chilling and hanging out with you guys was the highlight of the trip. Besides smash, you guys pretty awesome outside of smash. you guys are true friends who help out and awesome trip from and back. I'll do it again if ya want me to do.

Thank you for housing us Hannah, I appreciate the hospitality showed towards us DFW smashers and I hope everything we weren't too much of hassle for you

Shout outs to friendlies

Strawhat - OOOO YOSHIIIIII. but its was fun playing sheik vs roy, cpt falcon, and our torrent of friendlies and chilling outside of the game is awesome as well
Axxo - Good stuff. I learned a bunch of stuff. Amazing DK.
KJ - Lol I still can compete in brawl even though I haven't played in forever. I wish i would of entered brawl.

Shoutouts to people who are awesome and just chilled a talked about smash
Jerm - Music music music, and other stuff!
Mango - great to learn about what its like to be a smash pro
Gnes - Great to know you still will destroy anyone in doubles.
Esca - Awesome to see and chill with you,gnes and jerm.

-Denti - Teach me how to play vs ivysaur.. teach mechanics of tether. i should of edge hogged all the time and dropped with nairs... but i play scared.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
People actually thought money is being made off the venue fees at Whobo? How utterly amusing.

Just an FYI, the pre-reg online venue fee was $30. It was $40 at the door. Best part, online pre-reg was open up until a week or so before the actual event. So...really no excuses for late registration if you knew you were coming.

And it's Houston...the weather is ALWAYS terrible.

Last edited:

TheMasterGinta

Smash Cadet
PS Allstars results - Congrats to my brother for getting 1st in his first ever PSAS tournament!

1v1
1st. Tot ($54) Kat
2nd. OneCombo ($27.60) Kratos, Ratchet, various other sandbagging characters
3rd. Xavier ($15.60) PaRapa, Sackboy
4th. RedX ($10.80) PaRappa
5th. Ginta ($6) Sackboy
5th. TXToast ($6) Kratos
7th. Iggy Fat Princess
7th. Hylen Fat Princess, Evil Cole
9th. O9 Sackboy
9th. Megafox Cole McGrath
9th. SAS544 Sly, Jak
9th. Scottish_Tubist Big Daddy

2v2
3-way tie for 1st
1st TxToast (Kratos, Drake)+OneCombo (Kratos)
1st RedX (PaRappa)+O9(Sackboy)
1st Iggy (Fat Princess)+Hylen (Evil Cole, Drake)
4th BC (Kratos, Drake)+Tot(Kat)
5th Ginta (Drake, Sackboy)+Scottish_Tubist (Big Daddy)
6th Megafox(Evil Cole)+SilentManny (Zeus, Heihachi)
Thanks for posting the results man, and good job for your bro winning the event. Also surprised Allstars actually had more teams than 64 (it's a start...)
Either way, fun event, both smash and allstars players are really cool, and I hope to see everyone again.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
If anybody here was in the top 32 for Melee (1vs1) at WHOBO, i need you to PM me your email address so that you can be awarded MLG points by MLG. If you know someone who was in the top 32 would you please tag them or tell them about this post.

Here is the top 32 for reference.

1: Mango
2: Hax
3: GG|Mojo
4: Zero
5: SSSoft
5: AG|Arc
7: SS|Flow
7: Jake
9: Gar
9: Tetsua
9: PHO|Xica
9: SoS
13: Disafter
13: pawl
13: Noc
13: JF
17: StrawHat
17: Scrubaroo
17: Sethlon
17: Admiral
17: Rojo
17: Thoraxe
17: Tuesday
17: Oracle
25: Dawn
25: DingDing
25: Zhea
25: King
25: Valdens
25: GlibbyGlobby
25: Jnig
25: Sunny

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
9: Stef+RedXX - Great match and it was fun casting with you stef, we keep talking about how good your kirby was on our way back home!
Really? Thanks dude, that's really encouraging :) had a great time casting with you as well, GGs! (I totally thought I had that 2v1... lol)

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
It was nice to get out and hang with new and old homies alike, but yeah the zuma fun sauna was seriously disappointing in terms of dat venue fee and what we got out of it. Awesome sets, chill homies and bad venue/organization.
shout outs later if that's still a thing we're doin?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
People actually thought money is being made off the venue fees at Whobo? How utterly amusing.

Just an FYI, the pre-reg online venue fee was $30. It was $40 at the door. Best part, online pre-reg was open up until a week or so before the actual event. So...really no excuses for late registration if you knew you were coming.

And it's Houston...the weather is ALWAYS terrible.
This. Xyro has even mentioned time and time again how he dislikes when TOs are in it for the money. He doesn't make profit off of tournaments last time I checked.

Also, not sure how it was sunday, since I only showed up saturday, but if you needed to go out for anything, you were allowed to. All Xyro asked was for you to let him know, that way you wouldn't have a match called while you weren't there.

I agree with the venue not being all that good though. Not as bad as some past ones, but not as good as others too.

:059:

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I mean, I don't use DK in Melee anymore unless people request it (the rare cases I do enter Melee usually for money). :p It's tough going back to a ****ty iteration of a char after they're finally as good as they deserve to be.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Strong Bad makes money on these games?
You players in the north... :applejack:

Last edited:

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Shout out to Oracle for being a boss in 64 doubles!

I really enjoyed the event thanks Xyro.

-Fancy

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
It was a fun tourney. It didn't go perfectly, but it worked. I appreciate what Xyros done for the Smash community and I hope it stays strong. Now, out of curiousity is there a higher quality picture of the one with all the people in the parking lot?

Top Bottom