• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would some good partners for Link be?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I'm going into a doubles tournament soon, and my teammate is using Link. I'm not sure who to use though. Most of our opponents would probably be; Fox, Falco, Marth, Link, & Samus. I'm still not sure whether FF is on or off. THe sstages would probably be Dreamland 64, Corneria, and Final Destination. Our level of play is a little higher than casual, we've mastered the basics of play, and we can do some tricks, like the hookshot recovery with link, shield grabbing and shield spinning(for link). What character should I use to compliment my Teammate the best?

legionary

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm no pro, but this topic interests me since I play Link and have a partner that wants to go tournament-level as well. We're working on it ;)

Logically I'd say either someone like Fox or Falco, that's fast and can play a good offensive game, keeping their team from just combo'ing the heavyweight Link into oblivion. Looks like you play Sheik, and I think she would work pretty well with Link too. So long as Link's projectiles are used well and don't hit you in the back (assuming FF is on), the possibilities for controlling the other team almost completely with projectiles and a fast character on main offensive are endless.

I would try to avoid pairing him with another slow character. Although Link's projectile game would help slow down the other team, if you're facing off against a duo of faster characters, it might be difficult to stop a swift offensive rush.

Anyway, my 2c. Will be checking back for responses... mostly posting to see whether my logic makes any sense to anyone but me or not :-p

technomancer

Smash Champion
Sheik, Dr. Mario, Marth, Puff, Peach, Fox, Falco. That's the order I'd rank them, but I haven't done any real investigating Link has good damage building, good knock-off potential, but a mediocre team grab game, so you want a second that can edgeguard well, combo well, and has strong KO moves. The real determining factor is what character you play the best.

Individuals:
Sheik: Rescue Link with Needles/Uair. Great edgeguard. Good vs. Fox, Marth, Peach, Samus, and many others, good survivability.
Doc: Rescue Link w/ Pills. Bair edgeguard and cape ftw. Good vs. Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach, and many others.
Peach: Rescue link w/ Float stuffs and maybe turnips. Downsmash, turnips, help her deal with most opps on stage, but has trouble w/ Samus.
Puff: Good at following up and setting up Link's dair, uair, spin attack and smashes, but must be careful not to get caught up in them. Good vs. Falco primarily, but also good against others.
Marth: Great KOs, good combos, good matchups against Fox, Falco, Peach, etc.
Spacies: Do their own thing mostly, and are good on any team. Falco's good at getting link out of combos and trouble, Fox is good for effecient KOs. Generally I'd keep a Fox on standby.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm almost certainly going to use Sheik or Marth now, but I'm still keeping Peach and Falco in mind. We have time to practice too, so I could work on rescuing him with needles.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Ok, I have confirmed that I'm going to use Marth. We were fooling around against CPU teams today, and we pulled off some pretty cool combos. One we're working on is just him holding the opponent, and then me doing the dancing blade. This is still assuming that Friendly Fire is off though.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
Marth. Get used to holding shields over for him to fsmash through. You don't want to be the one getting owned. My 2v2 teammate is a Marth for either my Fox or Link. :O

technomancer

Smash Champion
Friendly fire is almost a 100% chance to be on, due to the threat of dual Falcos; in fact, dual everything is pretty gay, but dual Falcos specifically.

Edit: FF off is gay in general O_o

NekoNoBaka13

Smash Rookie
Falcon is definitely a good matchup for Link.

He really shines in 2v2... I played in a tournament with my brother (we got 3rd) and one of the 1st placers used Falcon. The match kept separating into 2 1v1s because of FF, but falcon kept abandoning his opponent, and leaped across the stage to knee someone out of nowhere. His incredible aerial speed allows him to save his allow very easily, and Link needs a lot of saving... Link's rhythm isn't fast enough to match Sheiks or Foxes. Give a Sheik ONE opportunity, and Link will get comboed to oblivion.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
hes a good life tank^^^ and up b...just play defenceivly

not to be rude but ...LOL when is FF ever off!??! noob torneys maybe? but he lives in socal...

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
What does everyone think of Ganondorf? Link's KOing ability is okay, but it's not exactly the best. Ganon certainly makes up for that.

And if friendly fire is on (it's really usually not), then go Falco or Samus and spam projectiles.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
hes a good life tank^^^ and up b...just play defenceivly

not to be rude but ...LOL when is FF ever off!??! noob torneys maybe? but he lives in socal...
It's not like some big official tournament... its just some little PlayNtrade thing. Their last tournament was whack though. It was a singles tournament, double elimination, 2 minutes, 3 stock. I couldn't believe it. I got 6th overall, both of my losses were in sudden death.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Try this.. Link and Link vs.. (who ever) LOL i know it's stupid but how will we find out that it's a good team?? lol but i know you wont get far if you use Link and Link , but iam just tryin out new teams

InfernoheroIH

Smash Rookie
errr, I'd say that Falco is a good choice, as well as Roy or Captain Falcon. They usually compliment his moves pretty good. (in my experience anyway)

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Yeah, the tourny was pushed back to the end of March. They also confirmed that FF would be off... they siad that they didn't want Luigi Laddering or anything like that.

Aesir

Smash Master
Yeah, the tourny was pushed back to the end of March. They also confirmed that FF would be off... they siad that they didn't want Luigi Laddering or anything like that.
its pretty easy to tell if people are Luigi laddering plus I doubt anyones gonna let that slide in a teams tourney.

d0od

Smash Rookie
I'm actually playing Link and I say the one of the best partner is Samus. Since samus is great either in range and melee, you can easily link combo between the 2 characters. They are also known as heavy character so they stand together by the side of the other all along the fight. Also, if they are seperated to the other end of the level, the two can help each other with ranged attack. Also, since Link don't have a great Ko'ing ability, the add of samus, to finish the enemy, is pretty useful.

FlipX

Smash Ace
Use jiggs if you know what you are doing, but if you are not that great use marth that way you can just spam fsmash and assuming the link is decent you can borrow his lives once you lose because link doesn't get killed that easily (and when I use him he tends to never get killed =P)

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
I've also had luck with Samus. And since FF is on, you could really create some havoc with projectile spamming. I'd recommend Samus or Falco in this situation.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
If team attack is off, just pick up Falco/Samus and find someone who can play that character. That way, you can just double Missle Spam or double SHL.

Top Bottom