• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would be revealed in a Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What potential newcomer would be revealed in the likely but still hypothetical April Nintendo Direct?

Leave your suggestions and arguments for them.

I thought it'd be good to have a place to put them as I keep seeing them in random places.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do people believe Palutena will be revealed in April purely because of the pictures that were apparently leaked? Or is there more concrete reasoning?

Given the game boy advance virtual console games releasing in April in terms of newcomers you could make arguments for Isaac, Andy/Sami/Max, Ridley and I suppose a Mario & Luigi rep (Fawful?), however improbable that might be.

Yoshi, Wario and Zero Suit Samus may be possible in terms of veterans.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont thered be any necessary reason for whom ever they may reveal in next month's direct

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well obviously third parties like Layton and Pac-Man would be revealed in a direct. Maybe the Miis.
In general, there would probably reveal characters who are popular.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well some people have said that if there's any third parties left to reveal they'd be shown at E3 but I think this April is Solid Snake's best chance to show up. Sonic had a direct trailer and Snake would too.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Newcomers so far seem to be revealed rather randomly in comparison to veterans, so I wouldn't read into anything like the virtual console or villains taking over the e-shop. I'm fairly certain they don't plan the deadlines of trailers to coincide with the e-shop.

Basically I think it boils down to gut feelings when predicting what newcomer will be revealed in Directs. I'm personally feeling that it's between Palutena, Chrom and Takamaru in April, would be ideal to reveal one of the middle-ground hyped characters as the last newcomer before E3.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's the Trifecta of Anticipation: Palutena, King K. Rool (swap him with Dixie Kong as need be) and the Giant Purple Space Pirate Dragon. It used to be a quartet before Little Mac was revealed.
There's also the leaky duo (again renamed after Mac's reveal): Mii and Pac-Man.

I hope for one of those 5(or 6) personally.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I find it hard to say at this point. To me, the most likely options seem to be Palutena, a new Fire Emblem character, or Takamaru. Mostly due to anniversary stuff, but there are a few things that make these candidates stand out to me.

Palutena: As others have pointed out, we've been getting a fairly large amount of Kid Icarus related material revealed as of late. Perhaps it's building up to something?

Fire Emblem Newcomer: I guess just anniversary stuff here. However, if Ike were to be revealed sometime before the Direct, I would say that the chances of a Fire Emblem newcomer for the Direct would skyrocket.

Takamaru: Well, they probably have some kind of retro character in the game, and they'd have to be revealed at some point. Probably not the best hype inducers, so a retro would probably be better suited to a Direct than E3. Could be wrong about that though... Anyway, if Takamaru is in the game, I think he'd be a good followup reveal to Little Mac, with him appealing to the Japanese fanbase after the western fanbase got a very special treat.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I would think that, if there are any brand new third party characters to be revealed still, they would most likely be saved for E3. That's the best time to reveal such a big thing in the game, I think.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I like all your ideas but going off of the last trailer where It was obviously based towards American viewers it makes me think they ARE going for the east vs west thing so its either gonna be somebody that represents Japanese culture (Takamaru) or their most requested newcomer (Shulk) but really its all speculation at this point.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I like all your ideas but going off of the last trailer where It was obviously based towards American viewers it makes me think they ARE going for the east vs west thing so its either gonna be somebody that represents Japanese culture (Takamaru) or their most requested newcomer (Shulk) but really its all speculation at this point.
Ridley after that. Hopefully. Maybe? :(

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ridley after that. Hopefully. Maybe? :(
Yeah I hope your not doubting Ridley being in he is very likely heck even Japanese fans want him in.
But you also have to look at Sakurai's post about the Pyrosphere where he says a enemy from Metroid could appear as a stage hazard. :c

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah I hope your not doubting Ridley being in he is very likely heck even Japanese fans want him in.
But you also have to look at Sakurai's post about the Pyrosphere where he says a enemy from Metroid could appear as a stage hazard. :c
Ridley wont leave his hole in the wall. He's too busy trying to build a shrink ray.

Last edited:

MilkDS_81

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking it's gonna be a new fire emblem character, since the fire emblem anniversary is April 20. Though we were expecting Dixie kong to be revealed in February with tropical freeze and got little Mac instead, so who knows with Sakurai. If it isn't an FE rep, I'd say Ridley.

MilkDS_81

Smash Rookie
People also thought toon link wasn't gonna be in because he was on the train in the spirit track stage, so there's is a chance he could be a stage hazard and a character. Though I'm not sure what would replace him as a stage hazard if he fights on that stage.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There wont be a newcomer shown until E3.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How are you sure?
Well think about it. We've seen five characters already. Sakurai said he won't be showing off as much as he was last time, I'm sure that includes newcomers. We probably aren't going to have many newcomers as is, so I would imagine 6 - 7 pre game reveals would leave 3 - 5 hidden newcomers. Last E3 we got Villager and Megaman, I figure Pac Man and Ridley/Mii would be a fitting "Final Newcomer" show off before the game is released. As for Chrom, Marth is already going to be playable from the begining, and I can only assume Ike would be as well. It seems fitting for the FE newcomer to be hidden. Sort of like how it seems that Dixie/KRool/Cranky will be.

With all this considered, I think we aren't going to see a newcomer revealed before E3. Which is only a little over two months away Show off Yoshi, Wario, and Ice Climbers until then. Boom.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well think about it. We've seen five characters already. Sakurai said he won't be showing off as much as he was last time, I'm sure that includes newcomers. We probably aren't going to have many newcomers as is, so I would imagine 6 - 7 pre game reveals would leave 3 - 5 hidden newcomers. Last E3 we got Villager and Megaman, I figure Pac Man and Ridley/Mii would be a fitting "Final Newcomer" show off before the game is released. As for Chrom, Marth is already going to be playable from the begining, and I can only assume Ike would be as well. It seems fitting for the FE newcomer to be hidden. Sort of like how it seems that Dixie/KRool/Cranky will be.

With all this considered, I think we aren't going to see a newcomer revealed before E3. Which is only a little over two months away Show off Yoshi, Wario, and Ice Climbers until then. Boom.
That's some pretty impressive logic but like I said it'll probably depend on if there's a direct this month I mean face it for most of us here the only reason we watched the last direct was to see who was going to be revealed. But I see your point and its a very good theory but still I see it as unlikely.

Typs

Smash Cadet
I think palutena is the most likely , why?

Rosalina: mario galaxy stage shown before her reveal.
Little mac: Punch-out stage shown before his reveal.
Palutena:kid icarus stage (with her statue) shown before her reveal.

Yes there were other stages revealed recently but they come from franchise unlikely to get new rep (pokemon and animal crossing).

Also, If we get an "official" introduction to the kid icarus stage this week (or the next one) a palutena reveal will almost be garanteed.
(I think i made some mistakes with my english here, sorry about that)

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's some pretty impressive logic but like I said it'll probably depend on if there's a direct this month I mean face it for most of us here the only reason we watched the last direct was to see who was going to be revealed. But I see your point and its a very good theory but still I see it as unlikely.
Its about as unlikely as people believing we're going to have an April direct simply because we haven't seen a veteran revealed. But we'll find out soon enough I suppose. Didn't we just have a direct in February? It hasn't even been two months since Little Mac was revealed.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm thinking it'll be someone random as looking back, none of them were directly tied to what was going on within Nintendo at the time whether it'd be anniversaries, release dates or otherwise.

If I had to guess, maybe Palutena because we've been getting more Kid Icarus content within Smash itself, but even then that could be a red herring.

I think palutena is the most likely , why?

Rosalina: mario galaxy stage shown before her reveal.
Little mac: Punch-out stage shown before his reveal.
Palutena:kid icarus stage (with her statue) shown before her reveal.

Yes there were other stages revealed recently but they come from franchise unlikely to get new rep (pokemon and animal crossing).
Metroid, Miis and Fire Emblem have stages revealed, all of which are considered likely choices for newcomers. So while we could get her next month, her having a stage revealed doesn't mean that she's the most likely reveal.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm thinking it'll be someone random as looking back, none of them were directly tied to what was going on within Nintendo at the time whether it'd be anniversaries, release dates or otherwise.

If I had to guess, maybe Palutena because we've been getting more Kid Icarus content within Smash itself, but even then that could be a red herring.

Metroid, Miis and Fire Emblem have stages revealed, all of which are considered likely choices for newcomers. So while we could get her next month, her having a stage revealed doesn't mean that she's the most likely reveal.
Well it was the 30th anniversary of Punch Out!! But Rosalina did seem a little random.
Nobody can know for sure who will be revealed.
But I'm gonna stay optimistic about Takamaru it is Murasame castle's anniversary on the 14th after all.
And Palutena does seem very likely as you have already pointed out.

Typs

Smash Cadet
If ridley is in, nintendo will probably wait for the right time to reveal him (just before the game release),that way he will generate a lot of hype in america/europe.
I agree that a Fire Emblem character is possible, but that stage was revealed in june. That's a long time ago.

We are left with the miis, and while it's true that they had a stage revealed recently (i forgot about that one in my previous post), there is one important thing to remember about character announcement: they are here to generate hype.
From what i've heard palutena is really wanted in japan and a little bit in america/europe, while miis are more in a "why not?" category pretty much everywhere, after rosalina and little mac that would be a little bit of a let down don't you think?
Also we have the little mac reveal, who was heavily requested in america, shouldn't nintendo give japan something now?
Plus with the leak we're almost certain that she's in.(there's still the possibility that it's fake, but i doubt that's the case)

So from most likely to least likely we have:
-Palutena
-Miis
-Fire Emblem character
-Any character from a serie with a stage already revealed

That,or my "stage revealed = character revealed" theory is stupid and sakurai will reveal K.rool when we have no DK stage.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know I realized that the theory that when Little Mac is on the boxing stage it turns into a Punch Out!! stage is dead wrong.
Just take a look.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlLdi3ksw
Now I don't know about you but I don't see Little Mac anywhere on that stage in the second pic so that means that there are TWO boxing ring stages just thought I'd point that out for you guys

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It wasn't long after a game she was playable was released
Ok so what we've established here now is that Sakurai is completely unpredictable at what he will do...
Great

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well it was the 30th anniversary of Punch Out!! But Rosalina did seem a little random.
Nobody can know for sure who will be revealed.
But I'm gonna stay optimistic about Takamaru it is Murasame castle's anniversary on the 14th after all.
And Palutena does seem very likely as you have already pointed out.
The thing is we're not even sure that was the case. Sakurai has consistently ignored anniversaries beforehand excluding the Smash ones, and hasn't drawn any attention to Punch-Out!'s otherwise. It really could just be a coincidence that we made more out of.

If ridley is in, nintendo will probably wait for the right time to reveal him (just before the game release),that way he will generate a lot of hype in america/europe.
I agree that a Fire Emblem character is possible, but that stage was revealed in june. That's a long time ago.

We are left with the miis, and while it's true that they had a stage revealed recently (i forgot about that one in my previous post), there is one important thing to remember about character announcement: they are here to generate hype.
From what i've heard palutena is really wanted in japan and a little bit in america/europe, while miis are more in a "why not?" category pretty much everywhere, after rosalina and little mac that would be a little bit of a let down don't you think?
Also we have the little mac reveal, who was heavily requested in america, shouldn't nintendo give japan something now?
Plus with the leak we're almost certain that she's in.(there's still the possibility that it's fake, but i doubt that's the case)

So from most likely to least likely we have:
-Palutena
-Miis
-Fire Emblem character
-Any character from a serie with a stage already revealed

That,or my "stage revealed = character revealed" theory is stupid and sakurai will reveal K.rool when we have no DK stage.
Theoretically, Ridley could be revealed at any time as Sakurai could see him more like Little Mac, or use him to hype up the game before E3. Plus, Palutena is a more heavily wanted character if we take universal appeal into account, so going by that thought process, she'd make more sense to be revealed later rather then sooner.

Fire Emblem, if we are going to play into the anniversary thing does have a reason to be revealed next month as well. Plus, a newcomer is something many do want to see, especially in Japan as Fire Emblem is more popular there then it is in the West. So by that same logic of "lets appeal to japan," a Fire Emblem newcomer would be just as much a fit for next month as Palutena would (whose popularity is more universal).

As for the stage, remember that Punch Out!'s stage was revealed many months before Little Mac's reveal as well.

Miis, admittedly I could see being saved for later, but that depends on what Sakurai has in mind for them.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My own theory, from the Official Character Discussion Thread

April Direct will definetly pick up some serious steam

Firstly speaking, personally thinking (in this particular order) the most likely characetrs to be revealed are:
1) Palutena
2) FE13 Character
3) Takamaru

Palutena makes sense due to all the subtle hints that went towards her, including that KI stage. If the Galaxy stage situation is anything to go by, she'll most likely have her reveal trailer featuring that stage. April Direct would be a perfect time to reveal her, logically speaking

FE13 characters have the Arena Ferox stage going for them in terms of hints. Considering the FE Anniversaries that are in April, they can be revealed to coincide with those anniversaries, like Little Mac was in the last Direct

As for Takamaru, he also has an anniversay going for him in April. Also, considering that Sakurai wants to revive old franchises, it makes sense for him to be revealed as part of the starting roster to help spread awareness of his franchise and aid in exposure.

So what do you guys think? Who are your top 3 expectations for April Direct?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What if he reveals in the pic of the day Chrom as background element, keeps trolling the people with more Palutena pics with no Palutena reveal, and trollingly tease Takamaru's hair in one pic of the day. And instead we get Mii. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom