• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Who will you main: 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL?

Which system will you main for Smash Bros.?

• I'm old school. Original 3DS for me.

Votes: 157 33.7%
  • The 3DS XL is totally XL-ent. I pick that one.

Votes: 234 50.2%
  • I don't need that many D's. 2DS is where it's at.

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • I'm thinking I might upgrade, but I just can't decide!

Votes: 34 7.3%

• Total voters

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'll give it a whirl on my red 3DS. However, if my hands cramp up or I feel the characters are a bit small for me to see, I'll definitely upgrade to an XL.
That's where the awesome outlines come in :D.
Though I doubt they'll even be necessary, when I play 4player I'll probably play on my Wii U and 1v1 will probably zoom in a lot.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i got a 2ds and i personally think that it will be the best way to play because of where the triggers are and it feels more comfortable than a regular 3ds but that's just my opinion

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Never got to play 3DS version at Best Buy, but I think I'll upgrade to XL if my parents will allow it. I was told that the characters look way too small on the Regular 3DS version and its very hard to tell which one is you or see what you're doing. Sounds like a pretty bad disadvantage, so I guess its out with the old and in with the new, eh?

My blasted 3DS has volume issues anyway.

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I'll be getting a 3DS XL, since I enjoyed playing on it at the Best buy smash fest.

SnazzyUprising

Smash Rookie
NNID
SnazzyUprising
3DS FC
2750-1137-2888
I have had my little blue original 3ds for almost 2 years now. So i might as well take it through this game too.
Hopefully i can get some sort of 3ds xl next year. But i'm gonna keep for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'll be using my royal Blue normal 3ds.. unless it breaks in some fashion again.. (had red one but the top screen broke..)

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
i still think 2ds is best for this game, but if the characters are small i might have to go to an xl

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
people were saying at E3 that even on the XL the characters got really small, be careful
People who supposedly played the game were saying the opposite thing in the internet. Also, we should filter what they read about Smash 3DS, since some people will talk **** about it just because they don't like the idea of the game being on the 3DS.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying a 2DS for Smash, but I ended up buying a 3DS XL. Hopefully I will not regret this decision.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I'll be playing it on my regular old 3DS game because that's what I got. But when the Wii U comes out I'll be switching mainly over to that, probably. It'll depend on which one turns out to be better and I prefer. I just hope the controls aren't too different from brawl's wii control before that's what I mainly play.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I plan on using my regular 3DS that I bought originally for Ace Attorney Dual Destines. I was thinking about getting an XL but is it really worth the money? I used to be able to play Brawl on a very tiny Karaoke System screen because some other sibling was hogging the big TV. I think I'll be just fine. Also, with the amount of one-player melee I've been playing (disabling the c-stick) I think I'll be ok without the circle-pad pro.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Got 3DS on launch & haven't looked back. Although if there is a particularly inticing bundle with a different model, I may give my current one to my SO,

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I will definitely be using the blue Pokemon X/Y XL that I got last year.
Yeah, boi. I got me a red one o' those.

It is a tad heavy, though. I hear the 2DS is more comfortable, but I just can't see buying another DS...

Reaca

Smash Rookie
NNID
Reaca1461
Yeah, boi. I got me a red one o' those.

It is a tad heavy, though. I hear the 2DS is more comfortable, but I just can't see buying another DS...
I know what you mean, but I just couldn't justify buying another DS for myself.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
3DS XL for me. Even the bigger size fits easily in my pockets. I gots big pockets on my jackets.

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
I bought mine in february, the standard 3DS was in a really low price and while walking to pay I had the epiphany about Sm4sh, so I returned and took a red XL hehe

MrBond

Smash Cadet
I'll be using my A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL mainly. Then switch to my ambassador cyan 3DS when I realize how much Smash will destroy my XL.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
my gorgeous cobalt LL with incomparably flawless matte finish

jacobjeb

Smash Rookie
NNID
jacobjeb
ill be playing on regular 3ds. although i did play it on the xl at the best buy smash event, and it was really nice. im sure it would be better with the xl, but im fine without it.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
3DS XL is top tier! :colorful:

I'll be using the XL for my Smash.
Same here. I never got a 3DS, but went out and bought a blue 3DS XL+3D Land when XY were announced. Was one of the smartest decisions ever. It's my favorite Nintendo handheld I have owned, and I have owned them all (minus og 3DS/GBA Micro).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
3DS XL, since it is the one I have. It kinda gives me hand cramps, though (unlike the small 3DS), so I will probably buy a hand grip when the game is out.

Folt

Smash Ace
I have a really sweet Fire Emblem: Awakening XL model, and I do not believe I'll be changing from that any time soon, so XL it is.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I will be purchasing an XL model soon, unless they announce a special edition Smash 3DSXL bundle, then I will buy that instead.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
My original plan was to play on my original Aqua Ambassador Model, but since I came into some extra money, I upgraded to the Gold Hyrule/Lorule Nintendo 3DS XL, especially after hearing that characters appeared a bit small even on the XL. I still think that was probably exaggerated, but better safe then sorry.

Plus I'm OCD as all get out and I couldn't stand the scratches the Bottom Screen Frame left on the wider Top Screen nor how easily Finger Prints shown on the Shiny Finish of the OG 3DS.

Now that I've seen how nice the games I already have look on the larger screen, I know I will not regret this decision when Smash releases.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
The only one I own is the original version, so I guess that's what I'm going to play. If I wanted an XL, I probably would've gotten one long before now.

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
My 3DS is an XL but I'm may seriously consider getting a 2DS just for this. It seems like a silly waste (which it may very well be) but I've always had this weird thing when it came to fighting games on DS. It seems like the screen would move around too much. Maybe it'd an irrational fear of the clamshell becoming loose.

Challenger

Smash Rookie
The original 3DS is the only one I own, and I have no plans or reason to buy a different model, so I'll be playing on it.

GlitchyFireEmblem

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nowiwowi
I have a Pokémon themed 3DS XL, my old 3DS is almost broken, so I'm definitely using my XL, since it is my main handheld.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Well, I have a 3DS XL. So... 3DS XL it is! Plus the screens are larger so that's always a good thing.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
People who supposedly played the game were saying the opposite thing in the internet. Also, we should filter what they read about Smash 3DS, since some people will talk **** about it just because they don't like the idea of the game being on the 3DS.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying a 2DS for Smash, but I ended up buying a 3DS XL. Hopefully I will not regret this decision.
People say everything, Just because someone says it doesn't mean it's true, nor does it mean they're lying.

I went to our local Smashfest with a group of six, and we came away with totally different opinions. Two guys said that the 3DS version was too small and awkward and they weren't sure they wanted it; three others said it was easier to see what was going on than they'd expected, and looked fantastic; I upgraded to a 3DS XL because I finally realized how significant of a difference there was between the two models and was blown away.

All six of us played the same game at the same time. Opinions differ.

Also, I think you made the right choice. I ****ing love my XL.

Holychicken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Holych1cken
I plan on getting a 3ds, just for the sake of having the 3d for other games and having the extra hand space.

Has anyone here held a 2ds? How does it feel in your hands?

Top Bottom