• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Who will you main: 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL?

Which system will you main for Smash Bros.?

• I'm old school. Original 3DS for me.

Votes: 157 33.7%
  • The 3DS XL is totally XL-ent. I pick that one.

Votes: 234 50.2%
  • I don't need that many D's. 2DS is where it's at.

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • I'm thinking I might upgrade, but I just can't decide!

Votes: 34 7.3%

• Total voters

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I plan on getting a 3ds, just for the sake of having the 3d for other games and having the extra hand space.

Has anyone here held a 2ds? How does it feel in your hands?
Not as awkward as it seems, kind of like hold a GameBoy Advance or the Wii U Gamepad.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
I just recently got my first 3DS, so I decided to just save up a little while longer and get the XL version; no regrets so far. <:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Is the difference enough to affect comfort or button input?
Not really. It might take a little bit to get used to, as all new systems do, but the comfort and button input, along with the screens, are identical to the original Nintendo 3DS.

For me though, I prefer the Nintendo 3DS XL since it has screens nearly twice as large.

Last edited:

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Yeah, boi. I got me a red one o' those.

It is a tad heavy, though. I hear the 2DS is more comfortable, but I just can't see buying another DS...
Though I have never played the 2DS, I will say the layout it has looks a bit discomforting for people with big hands such as myself. Plus, it'll just feel so...odd not being able to close your 3DS. Not only that, but it'll be exposed to lighting much more easier, which will get immensely annoying when playing Smash.

CrossbowPig

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrossbowPig
3DS FC
2621-2883-4274
All I have is the original 3DS, and I don't have the money to buy an XL. My friend, on the other hand, has a 3DS XL, so we shall see if that bigger screen gives him an advantage.

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
I plan on getting a 3ds, just for the sake of having the 3d for other games and having the extra hand space.

Has anyone here held a 2ds? How does it feel in your hands?
I have a 2ds I actually sold my 3ds xl cause the 3d hurt my eyes, then heard bout smash and bought the 2ds, which im happy i did with the button lay out. i play pokemon on it currently and have 0 problems. I am very excited to play the smash on the 2ds i honestly dont think the screen will be a problem at all

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
I have a 2ds I actually sold my 3ds xl cause the 3d hurt my eyes, then heard bout smash and bought the 2ds, which im happy i did with the button lay out. i play pokemon on it currently and have 0 problems. I am very excited to play the smash on the 2ds i honestly dont think the screen will be a problem at all
Why would you sell your 3DS XL when you could simply switch the 3D off? ._.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Not as awkward as it seems, kind of like hold a GameBoy Advance or the Wii U Gamepad.
I like my 2DS. The regular buttons are positioned much better for my hands, and the shoulder buttons are nice and roomy. (The shoulder buttons' positioning is annoying, though.)

However, bear in mind the most intnse game I've played on it so far is Ace Attorrney, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
Why would you sell your 3DS XL when you could simply switch the 3D off? ._.
i needed the money at the time, but instead of buying the 3ds xl when i learned bout smash coming out i just picked up the 2ds and havent regretted the decision yet

ferioku

Smash Ace
Id Recommend everyone to trade in the 3ds but it's all opinion.

The reason I love the XL is mainly because it's much more comfortable than the original and the large screen is such an awesome bonus.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Id Recommend everyone to trade in the 3ds but it's all opinion.

The reason I love the XL is mainly because it's much more comfortable than the original and the large screen is such an awesome bonus.
Don't forget having an Average of 10 Hours for Battery Life over 8 Hours..I know its just 2 Hours..but still.

Dims

Smash Cadet
Club XL-ent! Bigger screen and more battery life ^^ (and also my sausage fingers hurt when holding a regular 3DS for too long).

Also I don't plan on getting a Wii U (feel free to try to convince me otherwise though) so it will be my main version.

Last edited:

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Club XL-ent! Bigger screen and more battery life ^^ (and also my sausage fingers hurt when holding a regular 3DS for too long).

Also I don't plan on getting a Wii U (feel free to try to convince me otherwise though) so it will be my main version.
Though I already own a Wii U, I see myself playing Smash 3DS much more. I'm in love with the game!

JE-AT

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeatkid
3DS FC
2449-5643-6466
Switch FC
SW 3821-2527-4509
I'll be using my standard 3DS. I've had it before the XL came out but I do adore the XL's beauty. Very neat with it's big display.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The original 3DS. Beyond the GBA generation I have never wanted or needed any iterations beyond the original.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Good point, I need to buy my 3ds XL asap. I'm not gonna get rid of my original 3ds though!
I only got rid of my original 3DS because I needed the Extra $100 to help pay for my Zelda 3DS XL (I could have gotten more, but I wanted to give my cousin a good deal since he wanted to play Pokemon Y)

BeKlumsyMan

Smash Rookie
i'ma just wait for that 3ds smash bundle to come out cuz we all know theres gonna be one just think a 3ds with like its covering being the fight between mario and kirby in the origanial super smash bros 64 opening when they rush each other *dies from sexyness*

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
i'ma just wait for that 3ds smash bundle to come out cuz we all know theres gonna be one just think a 3ds with like its covering being the fight between mario and kirby in the origanial super smash bros 64 opening when they rush each other *dies from sexyness*
I wouldn't make an assumption yet, a lot of Bundles are Announced months prior to release, this one only really has one more month before the game releases to get a Bundle, since Japan would get it as well.

Also keep in mind that Mario Kart 7, another sure-selling game, didn't get a Bundle.

krakkenchaos

Smash Rookie
I've got my regular 3DS from when it first came out and I've had no problems with it. I don't think I'll ever "upgrade" to XL. I don't think any of the platforms will offer any advantage or disadvantage considering the button placement is the same, it's just about how big your hands are and how good your eyesight is.

BeKlumsyMan

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't make an assumption yet, a lot of Bundles are Announced months prior to release, this one only really has one more month before the game releases to get a Bundle, since Japan would get it as well.

Also keep in mind that Mario Kart 7, another sure-selling game, didn't get a Bundle.
fair enough and mario kart 7 was a handle held and bam mario kart 8 got the bundle so we will probably get a wii u bundle version maybe hopefully plz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Q.Q!!!?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
fair enough and mario kart 7 was a handle held and bam mario kart 8 got the bundle so we will probably get a wii u bundle version maybe hopefully plz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Q.Q!!!?
Well..yeah, Mario Kart 8 got a Wii U Bundle..but it wasn't really anything to write home about..to my knowledge, the only worthwhile bundle for the Wii U has been the Wind Waker HD one, since it at least had a specially branded Wii U Gamepad, all the others just feature things you can buy separately anyway..

I'm honestly more then okay with play Super Smash Bros. on my current Wii U and 3DS XL, both of which are Zelda Branded (Wind Waker HD Bundle & Link Between Worlds Bundle).

I do hope bundles come along for those who want them..just if one isn't announced this or next month, I think that there won't be a 3DS Bundle..though a Wii U Bundle is kind of Likely since the MK8 one did so phenomenally.

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
3DS XL since I own one. Although the 2DS is pretty comfy to hold for anyone considering a cheap 3DS.

BeKlumsyMan

Smash Rookie
Well..yeah, Mario Kart 8 got a Wii U Bundle..but it wasn't really anything to write home about..to my knowledge, the only worthwhile bundle for the Wii U has been the Wind Waker HD one, since it at least had a specially branded Wii U Gamepad, all the others just feature things you can buy separately anyway..

I'm honestly more then okay with play Super Smash Bros. on my current Wii U and 3DS XL, both of which are Zelda Branded (Wind Waker HD Bundle & Link Between Worlds Bundle).

I do hope bundles come along for those who want them..just if one isn't announced this or next month, I think that there won't be a 3DS Bundle..though a Wii U Bundle is kind of Likely since the MK8 one did so phenomenally.
lol do u happen to main link, toon link, or any zelda character ?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
lol do u happen to main link, toon link, or any zelda character ?
As you can see from my side-bar, I main Link in Smash 64 and Zelda in Project M..though I also main her in Brawl, but I wanted to show my close secondary main, Peach, some love, so I put her for Brawl and Zelda for Project M to not be redundant.

I'll also be maining Zelda in 3DS/Wii U, I tried her on 3DS and she felt virtually unchanged to me, though I'll also try maining Lucina, Rosalina, Sonic, and MegaMan.

joelsdaman1

Smash Cadet
NNID
joelsdaman1
3DS FC
4785-6676-7225
Wow, so many people loving the XL...but let me tell you - bigger isn't always better. If it's too big to fit comfortably (in your hands), then it's just not fun. And the big ones tend to make a mess (with the battery leaks and all that).

Dicex

Smash Rookie
I have both 3ds and 3dsXL but I have to say the original because i'm already used to it by playing 100+ hrs on monster hunter.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Wow, so many people loving the XL...but let me tell you - bigger isn't always better. If it's too big to fit comfortably (in your hands), then it's just not fun. And the big ones tend to make a mess (with the battery leaks and all that).
Having owned both, I can say that the Nintendo 3DS XL doesn't fit uncomfortably in my hands..its actually just as if not more comfortable to hold then its predecessor.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
OG 3DS. Small screen is way better for Smash. Looks crisp. Bigger screen with the same resolution looks awful. Those speakers on the XL are horrible too.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
OG 3DS. Small screen is way better for Smash. Looks crisp. Bigger screen with the same resolution looks awful. Those speakers on the XL are horrible too.
Now now friend just because I prefer the XL you don't see me calling the smaller version ugly. Just say you prefer the smaller screen of the normal 3DS and we'll all understand just fine.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly, I haven't noticed that big of a difference in quality, to be honest..the systems aren't in HD, the resolution being the same for a larger screen is absolutely no different then playing games on a larger TV screen as opposed to a smaller TV at any resolution.

ZBomber

Smash Rookie
I have an XL now, so I'll be playing on that. But if they release any SSB themed 2/3DS I will be buying that as well and use it for when a friend comes over so we can both play.

My hands cramp up after playing on my XL for awhile though... I wonder if maybe the original 3DS would be more comfortable for me.

Top Bottom