• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Who will you main: 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL?

Which system will you main for Smash Bros.?

• I'm old school. Original 3DS for me.

Votes: 157 33.7%
  • The 3DS XL is totally XL-ent. I pick that one.

Votes: 234 50.2%
  • I don't need that many D's. 2DS is where it's at.

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • I'm thinking I might upgrade, but I just can't decide!

Votes: 34 7.3%

• Total voters

MoHarp

Smashin' Bass Guitars
NNID
MoHarp
Switch FC
SW 3796 8060 8415
I've got the XL but I also have a cool grip around it that makes it feel like you're holding a controller in your hand. It's purrrty spiffy!

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I actually need help with this choice. I own a 3DS at the moment but after seeing my bro's 2DS and holding it, it felt really comfortable and I think might be good to get one of my own. However, the 3DS XL offers larger screens making it easier to see what is happening and unfortunately I didn't get to try it at Smashfest because that was the model they had the demo on, and I was playing the WiiU version. Any opinions/thoughts on which I should use?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I used to have a standard 3DS. I bought a XL recently after trying the game at the Best Buy Smashfest event and decided I liked the XL better.

Dims

Smash Cadet
I actually need help with this choice. I own a 3DS at the moment but after seeing my bro's 2DS and holding it, it felt really comfortable and I think might be good to get one of my own. However, the 3DS XL offers larger screens making it easier to see what is happening and unfortunately I didn't get to try it at Smashfest because that was the model they had the demo on, and I was playing the WiiU version. Any opinions/thoughts on which I should use?
I have tried both the regular 3DS and the XL. Never the 2DS though. I must say I like the XL a lot more. Yes, the regular 3DS looks more "crisp", but the XL have a bigger screen, which in turn means you can see details more clearly (which I believe will be an advantage for SSB3DS on the XL). Also the XL's controls and grip work out much better for me, as I have pretty big hands (this is of course very much a personal preference). I recommend the XL, though it's quite a big investment if you already have a regular one. If you have the opportunity you should really try all three and decide for yourself, as it seems this choice is almost purely up to personal preference. After all, the software and hardware is (almost) the same. Good luck!

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I can't comment on the 2DS as I've never actually used one, but something to consider when deciding; both the 3DS and 3DS XL have Circle Pad Pro attachments. Second circle pads that could offer you a real advantage over others since I imagine most playing the handheld version won't have 'em. 2DS is missing this. Not sure how big of a deal that'd be for you, but they are fairly cheap. $20-$30ish USD.

Have a 3DS XL and already ordered a Circle Pad Pro for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Ready to go for Smash, though I am eager to try a 2DS at some point since I keep hearing they're quite comfortable from several different people.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I can't comment on the 2DS as I've never actually used one, but something to consider when deciding; both the 3DS and 3DS XL have Circle Pad Pro attachments. Second circle pads that could offer you a real advantage over others since I imagine most playing the handheld version won't have 'em. 2DS is missing this. Not sure how big of a deal that'd be for you, but they are fairly cheap. $20-$30ish USD.

Have a 3DS XL and already ordered a Circle Pad Pro for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Ready to go for Smash, though I am eager to try a 2DS at some point since I keep hearing they're quite comfortable from several different people.
Aren't the Circle Pad Pro's made for left-handed players though? It might sound silly if that is wrong but I vaguely remember something like that about those things. Plus I am right-handed if that is so, and I think the 2DS is my best bet as it fits my hands much like a Gamecube controller with minor differences.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I'm gonna main the special limited smash xl.. huh? It's still not out yet? WHY!?!

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Aren't the Circle Pad Pro's made for left-handed players though? It might sound silly if that is wrong but I vaguely remember something like that about those things.
It doesn't really seem targeted at left-handed gamers imo. I'm right-handed as well and it feels quite comfortable to me.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Of all the characters we currently know, I'll either main Kirby, Varia Suit Samus, or Palutena.

Edit: My mistake, I will be playing it on the 3DS XL.

Last edited:

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
Made a topic for it, but I'll post the news here since I think it'll change people's minds on the poll ;)

Smash 3DS XL, only announced for Europe so far.

Richtea007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richtea87
3DS FC
0903-2753-0592
Sold my 3DS aqua blue two weeks ago and upgraded to a black 3DS xl. :bee:

leeprtr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeprtr
3DS FC
4210-4734-6362
think ill go with the 2ds
i like the layout of it
*prepared for hate*

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Actually, I could possibly get that Yoshi XL, though I currently have the Aqua Blue original variant. So...

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I played a bit. You've got to be insane to play on anything but an XL :p.

Basically everything is freakin' TINY! On some maps you're basically a dot on the screen! That is the number one issue anyone I know personally has with it. It was clearly not designed specifically for a tiny screen and a tiny resolution. :p

I cannot say enough how TINY everything feels. I have no idea why the display demos were with normal 3DSs and not XLs.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I plan on maining the New 3DS XL, even if it means I'll have to wait a couple to play Sm4sh. Seriously, a c-stick and extra shoulder buttons!? I don't need a Circle pad pro anymore.

I'm so hyped right now! Thanks Nintendo!

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
Might stick with my XL for now, but at some point I may upgrade to the New XL. Wonder if Smash 3DS will actually have CCP/New support in terms of the additional buttons/stick.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
The New 3DS XL I would definitely upgrade to now. It just has so many improvements it can't be ignored.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I am going to be playing with original 3ds and might consider upgrading to the NEW 3DS.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I was going to buy that smash 3DS XL, but then they announced the new 3ds so i'll be getting that one when it comes out.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I'll be playing with the original 3DS until the N3DS comes out.

Dratnell

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dratnell-92
3DS FC
4270-2473-1284
I highly suggest upgrading to the 3DS XL. It's all around more comfy than the OG3DS or 2DS, the screen is gorgeous as well. Really helps when playing games that require a lot of focus.

plus it's just so pretty :troll:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I'm not going to waste money getting the XL or New 3DS when it comes out when I'll be playing Smash Wii U more often (most likely any way) so I'm stuck with the classic 3DS

Top Bottom