• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will you be maining and why?

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I don't know; we have little information regarding the newcomers, and we don't know how the veterans will fare competitively.
If I've learned anything from Brawl and Project M, it's that I should divide my time between 3 or so characters.
Also, I probably should gain a great understanding of the game's mechanics and technicalities.
If I can gain a solid, true understanding of the game, then I should be fine with nearly whomever I choose unless the game is significantly unbalanced.

If I had to choose from the revealed characters, I'd pick Zelda & Rosalina, but I'll take everyone to training.

Last edited:
I'm afraid to main Marth because of the gameplay change effing up my melee marth, but i'll certainly try it.
If Snake's returning him and mega man are on top of my list for this game.
Oh yeah, i'll probably try little mac. Dat playstyle
Brawl Marty screwed me up too, but I pretty much play him in Brawl like I do in Melee since he is the only character in the game who can actually dash dance and has an air speed similar to his Melee counterpart.

So Far in just gonna play with everyone, but I really like Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Mac. Pit seems pretty dope too with his uppercut.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Toon Link, for obvious reasons.

But I usually like to main a new character for each Smash Bros game, and I'm feeling like Rosalina or Wii Fit Trainer could be lots of fun/hilarious so probably them.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yoshi. Because he's my favorite Nintendo character. I main him in every game he's available in; from Mario Kart to Mario Tennis, Smash Bros. is no exception.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I've stuck with G&W and Yoshi for the last two games, I doubt it'll change. The two Kongs as well. I'd like to return to Samus, she was destroyed in Brawl...

Of the new characters, Villager looks like the most fun to me. He's got that randomness that could be hard to predict that I love in G&W so much.

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Luigi because he's awesome and fit my play style.

The newcomer I'm gonna main is villager due to him being kinda of a keep-away character and seem fun to play as, plus I love Animal Crossing.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Most likely Samus as Samus has been my number 1 or 2 character in all 3 games. If Link gets rid of the Gale Boomerang and plays more like Melee, he could end up as my main again though.

As for new characters, I'm most excited to try Villager, Rosalina, and Megaman, but as of now, I'd guess only Megaman has a chance of ending up as a new main.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I enjoy a lot of characters but I'll stick with Toon Link since he fits my playstyle so well it'd be stupid to change him. Pikachu would be a secondary again, probably.
I'll try Megaman too because I really like the little blue bomber but I could just don't feel him, similar to what happens to me with Samus, Pit, Ness, Mario, Kirby, Dedede and Sonic in Brawl. *sigh*

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Probably just my Brawl mains again (cause I love them) and Rosalina, she looks fun. If DK loses that damn Headbutt, him too. And if Rool's in, him.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Donkey Kong and Bowser always! Love the big bruits that people look down on. If Dixie and Ridley make it, then them too. If only one or neither make it then I'll have to try out Little Mac.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
MY main **** this time around are Mario and Bowser. (I like fludd unlike most people and Bowser looks beast.)

In terms of newcomers i dunno they all look great honestly.

Conet

Smash Cadet
your looking at it in the wrong sense people here are saying what they main based on what they saw every opinion here is subject 2 change when the actually game comes.
your looking at it in the wrong sense people here are saying what they main based on what they saw every opinion here is subject 2 change when the actually game comes.
I'm just saying I have to feel the character to understand its combo ability and play value. I don't know yet that's my opinion, like you said it's subject to change.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I'm just saying I have to feel the character to understand its combo ability and play value. I don't know yet that's my opinion, like you said it's subject to change.
Ah okay but maybe you could present a character improvement or new character that looks to be your style? Since thats what were are all basically doing. Its just kinda weird that there may be no character as of now that you don't look forward to trying even.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
It will probably be Mario like the others, and maybe Kirby. I like my basics. (I'm so boring lol)

Globe

I only care for waifus
Rosalina among with the other princesses. Playing with them is fun.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Palutena. I'm pretty confident she'll make it and regardless of how she plays, I love the character too much not to want to use her everytime.

Aside from her, I always like using characters new to the game (Mewtwo in Melee, Wolf/Pokemon Trainer in Brawl) as mains, at least primary ones, so I'll probably also try out all the newcomers to pick a secondary from there. So far I'm leaning most towards Mega Man and Rosalina, although I have no clue what to expect from Villager. Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac I'm sure I could play as but am not in the slightest interested in maining them.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I will have to try out all the newcomers first to determine which one(s) I aim to main. Although my veteran main is Marth (depending on whether is unlockable from the start.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy. For obvious reasons. Wanted to main him both in 64 (thought he'd be an unlockable) and Melee, but had onoy the chance in Brawl to play him, and I say it was damn well worth the wait! Range buffs also are sexy, and am excited to play Diddy in a more fast paced game!

No newcomer thus far has made a huge impression on me, but I'm most willing to try out Rosalina and Little Mac. Wii Fit Trainer to, maybe. MegaMan and Villager honestly don't interesst me much.

Other veterans I'll try : DK! Link, Samus, Marth, Ike, Ness, Ganondorf and if it counts, Mewtwo. Pikachu to, Pikachu has never been a bad character and I've became extremely attached to his playstyle, as I loved the character in 64 and Brawl.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm oddly hoping to main someone new--either a completely new addition to the Smash roster or a veteran who I never much played as previously.
In Smash 64, I mained Luigi as he was the character I could best identify with.
With Melee, Samus took over; in my college days all we did was play Melee, and I found I was most competitive with her.
In Brawl, I had blinders on and Sonic was going to be my main, regardless.

I'm really excited to find out who I'll prefer in U/3DS.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Diddy. For obvious reasons. Wanted to main him both in 64 (thought he'd be an unlockable) and Melee, but had onoy the chance in Brawl to play him, and I say it was damn well worth the wait! Range buffs also are sexy, and am excited to play Diddy in a more fast paced game!

No newcomer thus far has made a huge impression on me, but I'm most willing to try out Rosalina and Little Mac. Wii Fit Trainer to, maybe. MegaMan and Villager honestly don't interesst me much.

Other veterans I'll try : DK! Link, Samus, Marth, Ike, Ness, Ganondorf and if it counts, Mewtwo. Pikachu to, Pikachu has never been a bad character and I've became extremely attached to his playstyle, as I loved the character in 64 and Brawl.
what obviousness i wana know WHY???!!!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Samus, cuz i'm a Samus fanboy, and boy she looks gorgeous and getting a lot of sweet new animations, though i hope she isn't as bad as in Brawl.
Also i'm gonna main Rosalina, Ness, hopefully Lucas.
And will play a lot (not necessarily maining) as Marth, Mario, Link, C. Falcon.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Marth, for quite a few good reasons:

1. He's been my main since Melee.
2. He's an amazing character and has remained consistently top tier. I have no doubt he will remain such in the new Smash.
3. He's the reason why I got into Fire Emblem.

I'll also give Wii Fit Trainer a try.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Fox and Wario are my favs but a new main for me would be Mega Man. Just out of pure fandom but with that being said...I hope Mega Man is top notch.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I'm going to stick with my old standbys for starters but I plan on going through and learning each character individually. I will probably play with sonic, mario, link, kirby, zelda. Really I play to much to choose just one.

Top Bottom