• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will you be maining and why?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I pick up every character in the game at one point or another and I do like to play with certain ones for different situations or because I feel like it.

I will be sticking with Marth as my go-to character. Pit will likely stay by second-hand, especially with all his new weapons. As for newcomers, Villager will definitely be the first character I pick up and I look forward to perfecting his moveset. If Chrom gets confirmed, safe to say that I would be so hype it would warrant a main.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
So I find myself in quite the predicament with Smash 4. Luigi has always been my solo main character without question in every Smash Bros game... but now I find myself having so many new mains and a secondary:

Mains
  • Megaman: Has always been one of my favorite video game characters growing up. I wanted to play as him in Brawl so bad, but now with this, he may end up usurping Luigi for my #1 main spot.
  • Luigi: Of course I'm going to play as him since he's back!
  • Little Mac: I played Punch Out a lot back in the day. Now that Little Mac is in as a playable character, I'd like to give him a try as one of my mains.
Secondaries
  • Rosalina: She looks like an interesting mage type character, so I'd like to give her a try.
If Isaac makes it in as another playable character, the situation will get even worse with another main to add onto the pile...

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
your looking at it in the wrong sense people here are saying what they main based on what they saw every opinion here is subject 2 change when the actually game comes.
some people play characters for their feel ,others play them becouse they love the character, i know i will be playing samus again and do my best to make her work.
so no it is not subject to change for me, it's subect to change for those that just want to play the strongest characters rather then playing the character they may enjoy as himself/herself. this is why we need a balanced game so people can freely play the character they like rather then people who go for the ' feel' and will just play those top 5 characters that everyone plays yet nobody really know who they are just becouse they're the ' best'

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
I am waiting on Yoshi, who probably will return, but from who has been revealed so far:

Rosalina & Luma: She was also pretty cool and Lumas are adorable. They look like they might have a fun playstyle as well.
Lucario: I played him a lot in Brawl and he looks a lot of the same, so that will make a nice familiar character for myself.

Staarih

Smash Master
I've never really "mained" anyone (though I did use Olimar a whole lot in Brawl), so I think I'll keep that in Smash 4 and just try everyone out. I'm super intrigued to be good with Wii Fit Trainer though so I think she'll be my first choice at the moment.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Marth because he is fabulous. And I enjoy his goddamn playstyle :p
Little Mac because it looks like I will really, REALLY like his playstyle.
Megaman because he is Megaman.
Kirby because he has been one of my mains since 64.

Probably by this order.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
My mains will probaly be:
Link, because I play with him in all smashs
Little Mac, I am huge fan and his play style looks awesome
Ice Climbers, I love playing with them.
Sonic too because I am a huge fan too. I hope his gameplay is better on this one.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Too early to say for sure. I only have Marth listed as a previous main from Melee. Probably won't know for certain till I actually can play it.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Toon Link, for obvious reasons.

But I usually like to main a new character for each Smash Bros game, and I'm feeling like Rosalina or Wii Fit Trainer could be lots of fun/hilarious so probably them.
I do that on mario kart, every single one I choose a new character. Not for gameplay purpose but is just a fun personal tradition.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Warning Received
so no it is not subject to change for me, it's subect to change for those that just want to play the strongest characters rather then playing the character they may enjoy as himself/herself. this is why we need a balanced game so people can freely play the character they like rather then people who go for the ' feel' and will just play those top 5 characters that everyone plays yet nobody really know who they are just becouse they're the ' best'
This post is bad and you should feel bad.

D

Deleted member

Ridley: because he WILL be playable *activates flame shield*. Jokes aside, if he is playable(which I'm 99% certain) I will be maining him
From the confirmed chars either Lil Mac or Mega Man and Villager as secondary

Last edited by a moderator:

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
Mains: (Ike if playable)
Chrom - He'll he new and I'm good with sword fighters

Pit - I played him in Brawl

Little Mac - It will be a new experience to play as someone who likes the ground.

Side Characters:

Rosalina

Lucario

Last edited:

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
This post is bad and you should feel bad.
i don't really think it's bad it's what you see in the melee tournies everyone just plays shiek fox marth falco and ocasional jigs falcon, thats pretty much where it ends. other classes are verry rare to see. this is becouse peopel gravitate towars the strong characters rather then the few rare players that play others

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
i don't reallt think it's bad its what you see in the mele tournies everyone just plays shiek fox marth falco and ocasional jigs falcon, thats pretty much where it ends. other classes are verry rare to see. this is becouse peopel gravitate towars the strong characters rather then the few rare players that play others
It's really not that simple.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
lol not true i love pit and was happy he was introduced in brawl but i like close combat and pit was not a rush down or tank. so i did not main him. some people don't just play another character because there higher tier sometimes its just the play style and that what im talking about.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Peach. She's been my girl since Melee and nothing will change that.

I'm excited to try out all the newcomers thus far but only Palutena could potentially usurp Peach.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Sonic because he is my Brawl and Project M main.
Toon Link because he is my second main.
Luigi because I want to get more into his moveset and today's pic of the day makes me more excited for him.
Kirby he's adorable and he was my Smash 64 main, and he is very solid in Brawl too.
Marth because I enjoy him at times and would like to get more into playing as him.
Mega Man because Mega Man. His moveset looks bad***.
Rosalina because she is my waifu and honestly, or moveset looks like one of the coolest in the history of the series and SHE'S JUST PERFECT OK????

Hoser

Smash Ace
I'll be maining megaman, because dat spike.
My secondary will be Ike/New FE character (weather it be Chrom, Lucina, or Robin/Avatar)
And Diddy as well, as he's one of my favorite in Brawl.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't really 'main' anyone, instead, I have a team of primaries and secondaries.

-Primaries (Use most of the time)-

King Dedede
Mega Man
Pit

-Secondaries (Use some of the time)-

Lucario
Villager
Luigi
Toon Link

-On the fence (Confirmed and Wanted Newcomers)-

Little Mac

Team Mask0' GO!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Main:
Kirby. Always my favorite since the 64 days. Please no more Cook Kirby as the Final Smash

-Secondaries:
Zelda. They apparently buffed her up so that's great.
Zero Suit Samus
Olimar

-Curious about
Villager. His catching ability seems like a very effective move.

-Still butthurt about
Skull Kid. I will cry myself to sleep every time he's summoned as an Assist Trophy.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Sheik will definitely be one of my mains, assuming she will be playable. But as of right now I'm extremely interested in Mega Man and Rosalina. Mega Man has always been a favorite character of mine and I'm so excited he's in Smash. Rosalina on the other hand seems to have such a unique play style that I'm really interested in trying out.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Marth - and Sheik if confirmed - are givens. I'll see what I can do with Luigi though (he was surprisingly comfortable to play as during Classic and All-Star mode in Brawl) and Pit (gotta love his new moveset).

PaperX

Smash Cadet
Mega Man hands down. I don't care if he turns out to be the worst character in the game. I didn't hope so much for him to be in Smash to not main him.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I tend to jump around to different characters a lot but there are a couple I gravitate towards. Jigglypuff, Peach, Kirby, Ness and Toon Link being the most notable. Jigglypuff has always been a big favourite of mine ever since melee.

There's a very good chance I'd main Isaac or Shulk if they became playable. Out of the confirmed newcomers I could see myself using Villager a lot.

Last edited:

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
For newcomers LM looks the most interesting since I would like to use a boxer.

Rosalina looks fun to play as.

Megaman looks like he has a very effective and versitile move list.

For oldies Marth or Bowser of course. And maybe Pit.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
I'm a big fan of characters who have cooperative types of moves. So Rosaluma (That's my official name for them. Sue me) sounds like my cup of tea. Also Ice Climbers is my favourite duo so I will definitely play as them for a while. Although being a big Animal Crossing fan, I was so won over by Villager's announcement and I want to take him for a spin for a while.

But Project M has taught me to play around with everyone. Before Project M, I stuck with Peach (Daisy Recolour) and ICs. But now I love playing as Zelda, Shiek and Ivysaur.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Right now I'm leaning towards Mega Man. Old school favorite plus projectile spam god equals me likely.

andimidna

Smash Master
ROSALINA and LUMA of course!
I love her and her moveset, she'll be my #1 main, I'm sure of it.
But I won't forget :sheilda:
My main of the past. I'll still play as both.

D

Deleted member

Link
Toon Link
Marth
Sonic
Pit
Mega Man
Rosalina
Little Mac

All veterans are chosen due to familiarity, while the newcomers just look fun to play as.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
I just had a nightmare... I owned smash bros 4 and samus had to be unlocked THE HORROR.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably main ???.

??? will be revealed in the direct. I know because sakurai told me.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
...I'm not the only one who thinks having like five mains is crazy, right?
Yea... I agree. It's pretty crazy if you ask me. Though some people use "main" pretty liberally. I'm more conservative with my "mains". I normally just main a newcomer each game that accidentaly happens to be high tier. Though so far there aren't any newcomers that look really good to me. They're all meh... So far Pit and Lucario seem the best.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I don't see a lot of people maining Wii Fit trainer. She'll probably be one of the best characters. She'll probably be a secondary of mine.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Samus was my main in Brawl, and Bowser and Olimar were secondaries. As for newcomers, who knows? Mega Man seems like he'll be utterly destroyed by reflectors, but he could turn out viable if some of his projectiles can punch through. Little Mac, Rosalina, and Miss Fit all have interesting playstyles. Ultimately, I'll probably try 'em all out to see who I play as best.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Sonic - he's been my most favorite video game character forever
Diddy - he's my favorite DK character and I love how he plays
Charizard - my favorite Pokemon character
Little Mac - he looks really interesting
Luigi - my favorite Mario character

D

Deleted member 245254

Plan to mostly train and perfect my Sonic when the game releases but I have hopeful intentions to become solid with Marth and Toon Link.

I mained Falco for a majority of the time in melee but Marth was my main for the last few months before Brawl released, and I transitioned in to Brawl playing him, and as a result in to Project M as well. However I've taken a liking to Sonic's gameplay (in Project M) lately, so I'm hoping he'll be good in SSB4.

Toon Link I just wanna be good with because I adore Wind Waker and always have.

Top Bottom